Dell's All-AMD Gaming Laptop Hailed as a 'Budget Blockbuster'

erek

[H]F Junkie
Opinion?

"One downside to this all-AMD setup is that Radeons don't have real-time ray tracing capabilities yet, however. With Minecraft RTX right around the corner, this might be a stumbling block for Minecraft players. For most gamers, however, it's hard to complain about lack of RT support considering the G5 15 SE's overall value proposition. The odd port choices left us scratching our heads a bit, too. The G5 15 SE's USB Type-C port is not nearly as useful as it could be, since it only carries DisplayPort signals, too. This system is really missing out when it comes to USB 3.0 docks with Type-C plugs—not for power delivery, since that's limited to 100W, but for the IO port expansion.

Overall, we think Dell hit it out of the park with the new G5 15 SE. This all-AMD budget blockbuster has all of the gaming essentials: a fast processor, a powerful GPU, and a 144 Hz display. Extra features like the RGB backlit keyboard and eye-catching glittery lid give it a bit of a gamer motif that might look a little out of place in a business meeting, but it's subdued enough that we would personally have no issues toting this thing around. Gamers on a budget who want class-leading mobile CPU performance with plenty of graphics and gaming chops should put the Dell G5 15 SE on their short list."

https://hothardware.com/reviews/dell-g5-15-se-review?page=1

I have always been underwhelmed with laptop gaming. I know some enjoy it but it is not for me. I will pass.

Yea I need to be able to swap out parts as I see fit. It's the only way this works.

Actually looks okay for the price. Not much a laptop user though, so doesn't interest me, but not bad.

$1200 seems a bit steep given what you can get some solid gaming laptops for these days...

I had a G5 5587 and it is built like garbage.

I travel a lot for work so most my gaming is done on the road.

Hopefully they've upped the quality.

Yea I just want Ryzen 4000 in their XPS and Inspiron lines. Their Inspiron laptops aren’t terrible. I have a 15 2 in 1 7000 4K model that’s a good daily driver.

performance looks good for the price. notable how the 2080 Max-Q laptops they compared put on such a poor showing, but with a 700Mhz base clock I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

i desktop game with my alienware laptop, all parts replaceable. getting a gtx1070 for it soonish

Can they just put that processor in the XPS 13 and get back to me
I love the XPS13 form-factor, but I'm almost set on the XPS15. I just want an eight-core APU in it with a 120Hz display with VRR. A TDP-capped version should work pretty well in the 13" version, while in the 15" version it should easily be able to spread its legs without turning into a furnace.

I hope!
I have always been underwhelmed with laptop gaming. I know some enjoy it but it is not for me. I will pass.
It's a real niche, and not for all of the reasons people realize: generally, stuff like keyboards, trackpads, LCD panels, noise, speakers... all of the general creature comforts that Apple / Dell / Lenovo strive for in their business / professional lines, all that stuff takes a back seat.

Actually using a gaming laptop for something other than gaming tends to be a bit of a disappointment. I think Razer are the only ones that do a decent job between the two.

On the other side, those that make more-refined 'gaming' laptops tend to fall short on performance relative to price, and in many cases astoundingly so.

Now, to add: you can absolutely game on these laptops. You can absolutely game on Intel integrated graphics. I say that as I do so, and also game on the systems in my signature.

The reason I harp on VRR for mobile use is that to me, that's the one big thing that's missing!

I've been using gaming laptops for work for over 10 years now. They offer performance much cheaper than actual professional "mobile workstation" lines. And I've had a very bad experience with those in reliability.

I think the people who cry "but they are built better" are the same kind of people who touch every surface on a car's dashboard and cry that it is not soft enough. Who cares if surfaces nobody ever touches are soft or not?

So who cares if the case is made of plastic? When you use it it is supposed to sit on a table, it doesn't need to be granite to work. Yeah I prefer a trackpoint over a touchpad too, but ultimately if I want any real work done I'll use a mouse either way, so another thing I can easily forego.

As for the screen, the biggest limitation is size. That's why I use 17" laptops. And even the most budget laptop screen is infinitely better now than the most expensive dell precision had 10 years ago, so it's good enough for any work I need to do on the field.

How is not having ray tracing really a downfall? How many games support it? And how many support it and well with good FPS? Thats like saying it sucks cause it doesnt have DX13 or some crap yet....

Yea I need to be able to swap out parts as I see fit. It's the only way this works.
Well if you do not mind paying out the nose for a laptop GPU compared to a desktop, and mobile CPU's (if not soldered in) there are options. But the fun part, outside of Ebay is finding places that sell those parts.

I would also like to formally announce that this laptop absolutely does not interest me and hopefully everyone knows now and will remember it for next time.

It is not my first choice, but I like having a gaming laptop. Mostly it is for travel. When I'm on the road, I like to have the option to game. Also it is a nice backup for if my desktop has an issue.

It is not my first choice, but I like having a gaming laptop. Mostly it is for travel. When I'm on the road, I like to have the option to game. Also it is a nice backup for if my desktop has an issue.
This. It's like some posters can't fathom that there are people who would like to be able to play some games while traveling. What's their solution for travelers? Bring a desktop along?

This. It's like some posters can't fathom that there are people who would like to be able to play some games while traveling. What's their solution for travelers? Bring a desktop along?

Im normally on the road 120+ nights a year. When I'm home, I spend time with my wife, and when I'm out is when I play. This is why I bought my Razer Blade 2019 Advanced.
I had a G5 5587, but it just wasn't holding up to being packed up and moved around every other night.

That is one terrible looking laptop. It's a good thing it's cheap, you can certainly tell your money goes to the main components and not the build quality of the actual unit.

Meh, It's still a $1200 Laptop.

With all the value and budget hype in the OP I was expecting a really mind blowing price point like $600.
Paid that for an XPS13 a few years back...

Really not interested in budget laptops myself either.

I think thunderbolt is built into usb4 standard
It's not a required feature.

1591060201426.png

https://www.usb.org/document-library/usb4tm-specification

Back