dell xps gen 2 laptop

Nvidia101

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a dell xps gen 2 with a 80 gig 5400 rpm HTS541080G9AT00 hard drive. The Hard drive makes clicking noises? is it supposted to do that?

The HDD is not supposed to click. Call dell support and have them ship out a replacement.

I just read this in thread:

"HD: I have a 60 GB 7200 RPM Hitachi in my system and it is extremely fast. For detailed specs, you can visit Toms Hardware where they did a review of various HD's and this one easily came out on top. The load times for this drive are just as good as the WD 7200 RPM drives I have in my desktop. The biggest drawback I've noticed about this HD is that it has intermittent clicking noises that can become really irritating. The way to solve this if you end up getting this drive is to download HItachis Feature Tool and set your performance to maximum"

so im a little confused...? im not ever sure what the brand of the 80gb hardrive dell used in the xps gen 2....

this is a hitachi .. does anyone know where to download the.HItachis Feature Tool for the 80gb one?

from my experiences clicking from a hard drive is never a good thing
try googling for that tools program, but i would just call dell and get it replaced

edit: is this what your looking for?
http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm
toward the bottom? i dont know, if you have to change power management on a hard drive to avoid possible damage, somethings not right.....

I see a lot of hitachi users have the same problem....So i don't think it's a difective hard drive
theere is also this program but im not sure of this hitachi model number ...so it would work correctly?

Hitachi Travelstar 5K80 firmware (rev. A5EA) corrects an intermittent clicking noise issue on the following models: HTS548020M9AT00 (20GB - P/N M1170) HTS548040M9AT00 (40GB - P/N N1166) HTS548060M9AT00 (60GB - P/N R1079) HTS548080M9AT00 (80GB - P/N P1128)

http://support.dell.com/support/dow...hs&releaseid=R81871&formatcnt=2&fileid=107692

I alos read this from cent about the noises.

Clicking Noises from Hard Drives
The clicking is normal - resulting from head/arm movements during seek. All HD's make noises - but the Maxtors seem to be particularly loud. I installed one in a Tivo recently, and can hear it from across the room when I fast forward through a recorded show. If it bothers you, return the drives and try another brand. If you are just nervous about it signifying impending trouble - don't worry.

Back