Dell XPS 8700 not posting (URGENT)

Ripbrood

Limp Gawd
Basically have the system together. Upgraded to a GTX 660SC card in it. Everything was working great. Decided wanted a new I7 4790K processor for it but went and installed everything and then had psu problems as was not enough wattage from it, was a 460 power wattage when I needed more. I bought a CX750M and installed it and keep getting 4 post beeps and have tried working backwards to eliminate any issues. When I put the old processor and psu back in I am still getting 4 post beeps.I have made sure all connections are tight as well, even disconnected hard drives, cd drives and video card to test just the cpu. Using a stock heatsink with the processor As instructed using a small dab of thermal paste on a circular heatsink. Any advice would be appreciated in this subject as stuck and getting frustrated with something that seemed so simple.

Also on the Dell for memory I have 12 gb. On the motherboard show 3 1 4 2 as I am guessing that is the bank start up. When I have 3 and 1 plugged in I get 4 post beep. When I run 4 and 2 with the ram I get a boot up but cpu fan failure. Any ideas what would cause this ?

So basically with the new processor and the new fan that wont mount proper to the board as wont seeat on the processor itself bank 4 and 2 boot with it fine. For a friend asking me to help but he sadly now lives a 4 hour drive away from me

Last edited:
Did you check your motherboard's manual to see what the beeps mean?
Did you try to do the boot without connecting any peripherals such as the USB keyboard/mouse?

4-RAM read/write failure.
Tried booting with no usb keyboard or mouse as well.
Based on what it seems to me that slots 1 and 3 are dead on the motherboard as he was trying to switch out his processor. He thought his psu was not strong enough because the dell psu has a green light on the back and it would keep going on and off and on the back if he hit the reset button it would turn on again but pop the breaker basically. He than bought the CX750M psu and than tried everything again. With the ram in slots 2 and 4 it wants to boot but old cpu fan doesnt come on. The new one that came with it doesnt mount proper to the board either. He is considering buying another cpu cooler to try that and run slots 2 and 4 for now until he buys a case, motherboard and ram.

I can not help you at this point, as I have no idea what is happening here.

But as an aside, just to get it to boot, you could try to set the BIOS to ignore the CPU fan, shutdown/disconnect, power the CPU fan some other way (different fan connector or wires into a molex connector), and then see if it boots. If it boots you may be able to run some diagnostic software?

Yea thanks for some more input. I think he is just going to order the motherboard, ram and case as he already has video card, power supply,hdd and os.

Could also try removing the battery from the motherboard.

Disconnect the system from the wall and then pull the battery out for 20-30 seconds. Put it back in and try to boot.

You may need to update the bios. Dell bios are notorious for only supporting a few select cpus that they offer.

Thanks for all the input, talked him into building a pc and ridding himself of that god awful Dell lol. So he did and ordered parts already. Now the infamous waiting for him.

Back