Dell XPS 420 refuses to boot windows cds

thedocta45

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey all having a very odd problem with a computer I am trying to fix.
This is a Dell XPS 420 which had a bad hdd, no problem copied the files off they system by booting linux from cd. HDD diagnostics show bad sectors, so bad drive.
I put a new HDD in the computer and now the problems are starting.

I put a burned OEM dell vista dvd in, and I get a failed to boot from device, I can see the drive trying to read the DVD, but to no avail. So I figure okay it must not like this DVD, so I grabbed a Dell OEM vista dvd that I have, same issue. System will boot to any version of linux I try, but will not boot any windows DVDs or CDs for that matter.

I am lost as to what the issue is. My only though is that it will only boot the specific version of vista that the computer came with, but I have never had an issue like this before. Any ideas?

My next plan is to try using a new optical drive but I have a feeling because the drive can boot linux images this is a non issue. Any help would be great.

Hey all having a very odd problem with a computer I am trying to fix.
This is a Dell XPS 420 which had a bad hdd, no problem copied the files off they system by booting linux from cd. HDD diagnostics show bad sectors, so bad drive.
I put a new HDD in the computer and now the problems are starting.

I put a burned OEM dell vista dvd in, and I get a failed to boot from device, I can see the drive trying to read the DVD, but to no avail. So I figure okay it must not like this DVD, so I grabbed a Dell OEM vista dvd that I have, same issue. System will boot to any version of linux I try, but will not boot any windows DVDs or CDs for that matter.

I am lost as to what the issue is. My only though is that it will only boot the specific version of vista that the computer came with, but I have never had an issue like this before. Any ideas?

My next plan is to try using a new optical drive but I have a feeling because the drive can boot linux images this is a non issue. Any help would be great.

Create a bootable USB installer of Windows Vista.

http://www.techmixer.com/install-windows-vista-from-bootable-usb-flash-memory-drive/

http://maximumpcguides.com/windows-vista/create-a-bootable-usb-drive-to-install-windows-vista/

How much memory is in the system?

Might try getting the system to under 2GB.

Thanks for the ideas guys. USB bootable did not work, but I may have made it wrong, didn't try on another device, I just ended up putting a new DVD drive in an it resolved the issue. The drive stopped booting other os cds, so that looked to be the issue. I hate Dells.

the Dell disk may be tied to the Hard Drive Hash and if so will not work. The Vista key you have will work with a generic Vista Disk, Retail or OEM. Id ask a buddy to burn a copy of there Vista disk and go that route, as if you didnt match the Hard Drive model and size it may not accept the dell disk as it doesnt meet the hash's the disk is looking for.

Back