Dell XPS 410 Case or Fan being really noisy, how to fix?

ForBuilding

Limp Gawd
I have a XPS 410 (Dimension 9200) and I got it because it is a very quiet system.

However, after a few years, the system is not that quiet anymore due to some sort of vibration in the case. It makes a rattling noise of some kind and it pisses me the hell off. Sometimes I can just move the case around or give it a good bump and the sound will go away... but only to reappear in another 5 minutes.

It seems to be the front intake fan that is the loudest part on the computer now and I'm not sure if its causing unnecessary vibration throughout the whole case.

I cleaned it as best as I could with pressurized air and even put the whole computer case on some packing foam to reduce vibration, but the case still vibrates sometimes and it really annoys the hell out of me.

I almost want to buy a new computer because of this problem. Any ideas experts?

If you really think its a fan then unplug each fan until the noise goes away, if that's it, then buy a nice fan to replace it with, if however its not a fan then you need to start looking else where. However since this sounds like a noise that has come about over time it does indeed sound like a fan gone bad. Check the fans and report back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back