Dell XPS 15z

Proxy

Pumpkin Ghost
I just wanted to get some input on Dells newest XPS line, the 15z. I am in the market for a new laptop as my old one is getting long in the tooth for what I want it to do.

Link here.

Looks like they have taken a play from Apple's play book. I have always like Apple's slick looks, but I can't stand their proprietary platform or OSX for that matter. Now I can have a slick looking laptop with W7, and it can be had for less money too. The i7 version can be configured with up to 8GB of RAM and a 2GB GeForce GT525M. Not bad at all.

Nanan

[H]ard|Gawd
The keyboard and battery life both could use a bit of help but so far this is one of the better looking sandy bridge laptops to hit the market.

I need a new laptop in the 15" range and this so far seems to be the top offering in the PC world but all in all I still think I am leaning to a 15" MBP even if it is more expensive.

W.Feather

Hard DC'er for Aug 2012 / Feb 2019 / Mar 2020
Not a fan of the keyboard, but otherwise it looks pretty good imo.

this, keyboard is interesting but not something i'd like......otherwise the design is rather nice.....now offer it in black...

forrehmmnd

[H]ard|Gawd
In my opinion, theyre trying way too hard to look like apple. I'll stick with my xps 17 inch

evildre

[H]F Junkie
In my opinion, theyre trying way too hard to look like apple. I'll stick with my xps 17 inch

I'm actually looking for a new laptop to replace my recently-dead (as in, an hour ago) 15" MacBook Pro and ... yes, the 15z looks pretty close.

enyownz

[H]ard|Gawd
Personally I don't like the look but if you like the back coming out further than lid, then I would definitely purchase one. Also, the materials they use now are shiny and feel like cheap plastic. My sister recently purchased a dell 17r laptop. Biggest piece of crap ever.

sed8em

2[H]4U
I had the L501x, piece of garbage.
Was dead for a month (I had next day on site repair too), took three attempts w/ one at their Houston depot for them to get it right.
If the same designers had a hand in this one, stay away.

forrehmmnd

[H]ard|Gawd
Hm, my xps l702x doesnt feel cheap at all, its nice and sturdy. the only gripe i have about it is the lid scratches really easily. Ive had no problems with it, i love it

skiddy

2[H]4U
This was announced a couple of weeks after I got my 1502x, and I started to have buyers remorse. Once I actually looked into it, it didn't bother me as much. No option for the GT540M or quad core i7's. I'm happy with my clunky 1502x :p

Kiri

Limp Gawd
What do you think the chances are of them releasing a 13" version of something like this?

I got my 15z two days ago. I like it, the case and styling of it is very nice. And yes the chiclet keys are trying to look like an Apple.

However, I have a repair order in on it already and a Dell technician will have to come out. The left mouse button on the keypad sticks in the down position if I click in the area of the lower bottom left side of the square button pad. That's a natural area for me to position my thumb for left clicks, so it's got to be fixed.

Fortunately my warranty provides for a tech to come straight to my house and they are going to change out the entire mouse and keypad assembly.

I hope this isn't a sign of a larger problem with defects on such a highly polished premier laptop. :rolleyes: