Dell XPS 15z

Proxy

Pumpkin Ghost
I just wanted to get some input on Dells newest XPS line, the 15z. I am in the market for a new laptop as my old one is getting long in the tooth for what I want it to do.

Link here.

Looks like they have taken a play from Apple's play book. I have always like Apple's slick looks, but I can't stand their proprietary platform or OSX for that matter. Now I can have a slick looking laptop with W7, and it can be had for less money too. The i7 version can be configured with up to 8GB of RAM and a 2GB GeForce GT525M. Not bad at all.

The keyboard and battery life both could use a bit of help but so far this is one of the better looking sandy bridge laptops to hit the market.

I need a new laptop in the 15" range and this so far seems to be the top offering in the PC world but all in all I still think I am leaning to a 15" MBP even if it is more expensive.

Not a fan of the keyboard, but otherwise it looks pretty good imo.

this, keyboard is interesting but not something i'd like......otherwise the design is rather nice.....now offer it in black...

In my opinion, theyre trying way too hard to look like apple. I'll stick with my xps 17 inch

In my opinion, theyre trying way too hard to look like apple. I'll stick with my xps 17 inch

I'm actually looking for a new laptop to replace my recently-dead (as in, an hour ago) 15" MacBook Pro and ... yes, the 15z looks pretty close.

Personally I don't like the look but if you like the back coming out further than lid, then I would definitely purchase one. Also, the materials they use now are shiny and feel like cheap plastic. My sister recently purchased a dell 17r laptop. Biggest piece of crap ever.

I had the L501x, piece of garbage.
Was dead for a month (I had next day on site repair too), took three attempts w/ one at their Houston depot for them to get it right.
If the same designers had a hand in this one, stay away.

Hm, my xps l702x doesnt feel cheap at all, its nice and sturdy. the only gripe i have about it is the lid scratches really easily. Ive had no problems with it, i love it

This was announced a couple of weeks after I got my 1502x, and I started to have buyers remorse. Once I actually looked into it, it didn't bother me as much. No option for the GT540M or quad core i7's. I'm happy with my clunky 1502x :p

What do you think the chances are of them releasing a 13" version of something like this?

I got my 15z two days ago. I like it, the case and styling of it is very nice. And yes the chiclet keys are trying to look like an Apple.

However, I have a repair order in on it already and a Dell technician will have to come out. The left mouse button on the keypad sticks in the down position if I click in the area of the lower bottom left side of the square button pad. That's a natural area for me to position my thumb for left clicks, so it's got to be fixed.

Fortunately my warranty provides for a tech to come straight to my house and they are going to change out the entire mouse and keypad assembly.

I hope this isn't a sign of a larger problem with defects on such a highly polished premier laptop. :rolleyes:

Back