Dell XPS 13 - Quick Specification Questions.

FenFox

Limp Gawd
-7th Generation Intel® Core™ i3-7100U Processor (3MB Cache, up to 2.4 GHz)
-4GB LPDDR3 1866MHz

vs

-7th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-7200U Processor (3MB Cache, up to 3.1 GHz)
-8GB LPDDR3 1866MHz
--------------------------------

1.) Is the i5 and 8GB DDR3 significantly faster than the i3 and 4GB DDR3?

In my case I'm not really sure if the i5 & 8GB RAM is worth the price difference. I'll be buying one of these Ultrabooks for my mother and she does the most basic of things on her computers that even a $500 machine should be able to handle: Chrome browsing, Watching YouTube videos, sending e-mails and opening PDFs.

2.) Is the i3 & 4GB RAM capable of blazing through those tasks absent signs of slowdown / sluggish behavior with 10 or so Chrome browsers open and a video playing in the background? If I was buying one of these for myself I'd never go anywhere near an i3 & 4GB RAM but my usage scenarios are a lot more demanding than hers.

The amount of RAM is going to have a bigger impact on multi-tasking, in this case, then the CPU. 4GB of RAM is very likely not going to be enough. I have the Dell XPS 13 9350 w/ 8GB of RAM and I regularly max that out while multi-tasking.

So...why don't you just buy a $100 Chromebook and save yourself the money? I had one with 4GB of RAM and didn't have any significant issues.

8GB is enough- just!- for daily tasks. I have a hard time understanding computers that ship with less.

So...why don't you just buy a $100 Chromebook and save yourself the money? I had one with 4GB of RAM and didn't have any significant issues.

I've looked at Chromebooks before and not only do I not want to support Google anymore (James Damore firing & other stupid things they've done in the past and present), but I wasn't impressed with what I saw. My mom knows how to use Windows (somewhat) and in the past I bought her an Android tablet, but she never used it because she couldn't be bothered to learn Android so I don't want to make that mistake again. Old people can be really damn stubborn when it comes to learning new (well, relatively new) technology/operating systems. She refuses to even upgrade her 20+ year old TV.

Anyway, you guys basically confirmed my suspicion that 4 GB RAM is probably not a good idea. I have 8 GB and it's usually 75%+ on the memory but I'm the kinda guy that has like 40+ web browser tabs open along with Skype, Downloads, Excel etc. She's not a heavy multi-tasker so maybe 4 GB would be enough for her to get by, but fuck it, why take the chance. It's just dumb that I have to pay for a better processor as well to get 8 GB of RAM.

How much storage is left over on the 128 SSD option? Any ideas?

How much storage is left over on the 128 SSD option? Any ideas?

Can't answer 'how much' with specificity, but I can say that the answer is 'more than enough'. I run a 120GB SSD in one of my older laptops that's on the retirement block and it has plenty of space after loading MS Office, photo apps, and even a few games like League of Legends.

The XPS series is not geared toward "my momma only watches cat videos and download chicken soup recipes." Pick a different model.

You can't upgrade the memory in that model, so get at least 8gb or it will soon be painful to use.
A 128gb SSD is not really useful these days, but you can upgrade that, it takes a standard M.2 2280 drive.

But yes, as others said, it's a premium form factor model, you could probably get better specs at the same or lower prices by going with one of the inspiron models.

I am on the same fence with a laptop like this. The screen is one of the selling points for the XPS 13, IMO.

If this is really meant to be grandma's, then forget the specs. They won't matter.
Instead find reviews that offer meaningful reliability information.
Grandma can't fix a computer. You want to buy one that won't require repairs.

A Chromebook might the best choice.

Back