Dell XPS 12 / 13 / 15 with Skylake

As soon as the new Intel eGPU chassis hit the market, I'll probably swap my XPS 13 for the 15 with the fastest cpu I can get.

It appears Dell has taken down the XPS pages - again. Reddit threads also show the shipping is all over the map. Some people have already received their XPS 13 pre-orders. Others who ordered the XPS 15 have had their estimated shipping dates pushed to December.

Edit: Looks like that was temporary. Both the 13 and 15 are back up.

Last edited:
As soon as the new Intel eGPU chassis hit the market, I'll probably swap my XPS 13 for the 15 with the fastest cpu I can get.

I'm genuinely considering dumping my desktop for a similar configuration.

Do these have 2 HDD slots or just the one? Looking at the XPS 15 I7, the options are very limited. Not a big deal if you can add a second drive (though I guess I could just pull the one that's in there and toss a 2TB Sammy in it).

FWIW, the new Precisions are up. Here's a link to the 15: http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/precision-m5510-workstation/pd?ref=PD_OC

Since I'm swapping out the HD, it's probably cheaper to buy the precision (though not by enough to matter). Gonna wait for user reviews on Precision before making any decision.

I've seen these in person (xps 13 and 15) and do not like their keyboards. Too mushy for my taste. The trackpad seemed to lag as well, but touch functionality was snappy.
Otherwise that screen is absolutely stunning. Just make sure you really need the 4k ( dcc or 4k movie editing) because I think it's a waste for a 15" laptop (not to mention the 13" one). Yea it looks sharp, but out of the box you need to scale everything up.. .pain in the butt for a lot of older software.

I've seen these in person (xps 13 and 15) and do not like their keyboards. Too mushy for my taste. The trackpad seemed to lag as well, but touch functionality was snappy.
Otherwise that screen is absolutely stunning. Just make sure you really need the 4k ( dcc or 4k movie editing) because I think it's a waste for a 15" laptop (not to mention the 13" one). Yea it looks sharp, but out of the box you need to scale everything up.. .pain in the butt for a lot of older software.

What stores carry the new XPS models? I'm torn on the 4k. On one hand, it's nice for photos, but as you said, most apps look too small at that size, so getting to compare 1080 and 2160 in person would be useful.

The Microsoft Store sells the XPS models scrubbed of all the dell bloatware. If you have a Microsoft store or mall kiosk near you, you can test them out there. The mall near me has the old XPS 13 on display.

Do these have 2 HDD slots or just the one? Looking at the XPS 15 I7, the options are very limited. Not a big deal if you can add a second drive (though I guess I could just pull the one that's in there and toss a 2TB Sammy in it).

FWIW, the new Precisions are up. Here's a link to the 15: http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/precision-m5510-workstation/pd?ref=PD_OC

Since I'm swapping out the HD, it's probably cheaper to buy the precision (though not by enough to matter). Gonna wait for user reviews on Precision before making any decision.

It seems like that precision comfigurator doesnt know the limitations of the chassis. I was able to configure a laptop with 2 2.5" drives and the 81 Whr battery. I am fairly certain the machine supports either a single 2.5" drive or the extended battery. You can have two drives if you use the m.2 ssd drive though. Basically the 2.5" drives take up some of the battery space so you need the smaller battery.

I saw the XPS 15 over the weekend and am hooked. Bye-bye to my rMBP. I've always liked Dell's Precision line, so plan on getting the 5510 instead of the XPS. Just want to hold off until some reviews are posted.

This will be the first Windows laptop I've purchased since 2006.

I saw the XPS 15 over the weekend and am hooked. Bye-bye to my rMBP. I've always liked Dell's Precision line, so plan on getting the 5510 instead of the XPS. Just want to hold off until some reviews are posted.

This will be the first Windows laptop I've purchased since 2006.

How big is the XPS 15 compared to the 13 rMBP? I'm planning on getting rid of the rMBP I have for a XPS 13, but the XPS 15 being in a 14" chassis seems attractive.

How big is the XPS 15 compared to the 13 rMBP? I'm planning on getting rid of the rMBP I have for a XPS 13, but the XPS 15 being in a 14" chassis seems attractive.
The XPS 15 actually is thinner than the rMBP 13, and about .75" deeper, 1.5" wider. I'd guess the XPS to be no more than a half pound heavier.

The 15" 4K touch screen is very impressive.

curious, anything in particular driving you back to Windows from OSX? or were you already using windows via bootcamp on mac hardware?

curious, anything in particular driving you back to Windows from OSX? or were you already using windows via bootcamp on mac hardware?
I have no problem with OSX or Mac. I use Parallels when I want to dabble in Linux. I just haven't used my MBP as much as expected and will get more out of a Windows laptop. I was considering a Surface 4, but once I got a chance with the XPS's 4K touchscreen, it was over.

How long were your guys xps 15 "in production" for? Im stuck at that for 3 days now.

I'm about to grab an XPS 13 with the FHD screen, 256GB SSD upgrade additionally. You guys need to make sure you open up a chat window (or call in, but the chat window is easier) and have them sweeten the deal for you by cutting off $50-100 off the price (which is nice with the addition of the rewards amount you get back with their promotions atm if you use dell financing on their site), plus throwing in some premium tech support.

Just confirmed with a Dell CS Rep that all XPS laptops are on back-order. Estimated shipping is early December.

I'm being told estimated delivery date is the 7th of December. I just hope that it doesn't extend past Christmas and on top of that hope that the few issues the XPS 15's are having are corrected by the time I get mine.

^^ Nice! I probably just should get the XPS instead of the Precision since I'm not doing CAD or anything similar.

Im still stuck at pre-proeuction and people at notebookcheck are still claiming no fix to cpu speed cap either.

Oh dell.....

I ordered my XPS 15 (1080p, 6700HQ, 8GB, 256GB) on 11/3 and received it 11/11. Beautiful laptop and I'm glad I got the 1080p screen. I've had too many issues with higher res screens (DPI scaling still causes issues with alot of my work software). In idle tests I'm only getting 6.5 - 7 hours with the screen at 50% (which is actually adequate for me in most environments) and no peripherals. I'm waiting on a T5 bit in the mail to open it up. Hoping to upgrade to the 84 WHr battery when spare parts become more easily available.

I ordered my XPS 15 (1080p, 6700HQ, 8GB, 256GB) on 11/3 and received it 11/11. Beautiful laptop and I'm glad I got the 1080p screen. I've had too many issues with higher res screens (DPI scaling still causes issues with alot of my work software). In idle tests I'm only getting 6.5 - 7 hours with the screen at 50% (which is actually adequate for me in most environments) and no peripherals. I'm waiting on a T5 bit in the mail to open it up. Hoping to upgrade to the 84 WHr battery when spare parts become more easily available.

Ack I saw the delivery dates in this thread. I was looking at the XPS 15 and was going to see if they had any Black Friday offers. I was also debating 1080P or 4k. I agree with you 1080P avoids issues with scaling and uses less power / looks good. 4k is way off in diminishing returns for my aging eyes. That's one reason I like my 3440x1440 monitor, the PPI is a little better but not stupid high like 4k.

Your little write up pushed me towards 1080P. I spent the little extra to get the model you got. :) Dec 24 - 31st for the delivery date though! I am going to hope it arrives early...

I want to replace my MBP with an XPS or Precision 5155, but probably will wait until after the holidays to order. Looks like new orders aren't shipping any sooner, anyway.

Can't agree with the 4K dislike, though. I love the 4K touchscreen on these laptops.

I'm trying to decide between the XPS, Surface Book, and 2016 rMBP. The scaling issues on Windows machines really is holding me back. My current work laptop is a 15" Dell m4800, w/4k display. I love the display, but in Windows 7 you have to adjust the DPI scaling to 200% to make it look right. Fine for applications that can scale, and they look great. But for applications that don't scale well, it's crap. I really don't understand how the IT group spec'd out this laptop. It's a powerful machine, but a 4K, 32gb ram and a 256gb SDD?? I run a lot of VMs but 256gb doesn't hold many. 16/512 would have been a better balance...

I love the 4k for text, web browsing, MS Office. Its crisp and clear. But when I have to use 1080p for applications that doen't scale it's a PITA. Between having to log off/on to change the scaling and not running the native resolution, it's a hassle and at 1080p the text is blury and everything has a general 'haze' to it. I really don't like it. I can't use dual monitors because Windows 7 DPI scaling is a global setting, hopefully when its upgraded to Windows 10 I'll at least be able to run a second monitor at 1080p and keep my laptop at 4k.

Unfortunate to think that I might be spending $2K+ on a laptop only to settle on 1080p, I wish my work laptop was configured this way (not my money) but my personal laptop I'd like it all to be the best technology when I purchase it.

I'm trying to decide between the XPS, Surface Book, and 2016 rMBP. The scaling issues on Windows machines really is holding me back. My current work laptop is a 15" Dell m4800, w/4k display. I love the display, but in Windows 7 you have to adjust the DPI scaling to 200% to make it look right. Fine for applications that can scale, and they look great. But for applications that don't scale well, it's crap. I really don't understand how the IT group spec'd out this laptop. It's a powerful machine, but a 4K, 32gb ram and a 256gb SDD?? I run a lot of VMs but 256gb doesn't hold many. 16/512 would have been a better balance...

I love the 4k for text, web browsing, MS Office. Its crisp and clear. But when I have to use 1080p for applications that doen't scale it's a PITA. Between having to log off/on to change the scaling and not running the native resolution, it's a hassle and at 1080p the text is blury and everything has a general 'haze' to it. I really don't like it. I can't use dual monitors because Windows 7 DPI scaling is a global setting, hopefully when its upgraded to Windows 10 I'll at least be able to run a second monitor at 1080p and keep my laptop at 4k.

Unfortunate to think that I might be spending $2K+ on a laptop only to settle on 1080p, I wish my work laptop was configured this way (not my money) but my personal laptop I'd like it all to be the best technology when I purchase it.

This is why I'm not in a rush to ditch my MacBook Pro. It amazes me that Microsoft still can't do high-DPI scaling properly when Apple nailed it three years ago. Unless you really need Windows-only apps for your personal machine, or Microsoft solves Windows' scaling issues, you may be better off with a Mac... more real-world screen space.

This is why I'm not in a rush to ditch my MacBook Pro. It amazes me that Microsoft still can't do high-DPI scaling properly when Apple nailed it three years ago. Unless you really need Windows-only apps for your personal machine, or Microsoft solves Windows' scaling issues, you may be better off with a Mac... more real-world screen space.

That's the thing, Microsoft DOES do scaling correctly. It is apps that don't. Microsoft fixed their scaling a while ago even before Windows 8, but apps have to support it. Microsoft could have pulled an Apple and said "fuck it, legacy support for people that don't play by the rules is gone" but that isn't how they work. So Microsoft continues to support people that don't support scaling properly.

That's the thing, Microsoft DOES do scaling correctly. It is apps that don't. Microsoft fixed their scaling a while ago even before Windows 8, but apps have to support it. Microsoft could have pulled an Apple and said "fuck it, legacy support for people that don't play by the rules is gone" but that isn't how they work. So Microsoft continues to support people that don't support scaling properly.

MS can't do it. Apple doesn't support a lot of vertical apps, but there are tons on Windows. Nevertheless, if your apps all work on OS X, then maybe that's a reason to switch. My brother picked up a 27" iMac, and I gotta say, it looks awesome and the apps look great...though I don't think he has many non Apple apps (at least not when i saw it). If I was in the music industry, I'd almost certainly own a Mac

Ah, thanks. Mind you, we still end up in the same situation: Windows isn't great if you want a high-DPI display. Microsoft has done a lot to advance the industry, but its tendency to keep legacy features hanging around means that Windows developers often stick with what they know rather than invest in new features.

I am an engineer so in my book Apple doesn't even have support for my apps at all never mind worrying about DPI. It's crazy Apple doesn't have support for programs Microsoft nailed twenty, ten, five or one year ago. :rolleyes:

My wife owned an iMac and nothing worked. Took me so long to get the POS working right. And this was normal day to day things she did... Videos, ect. Microsoft Office was useless on Mac too. It'd never look the same in windows vs OSX so for productivity it was a waste.

On a serious note I haven't seen scaling not work in Windows 10 except for a random games here and there, which Macs can't even run, where the worst case is you use 1080P. Which you would probably be using anyways with a 960M.

Overall if you're talking productivity (besides music and photo/video) and/or gaming Macs aren't even in the equation.

Last edited:
I am an engineer so in my book Apple doesn't even have support for my apps at all never mind worrying about DPI. It's crazy Apple doesn't have support for programs Microsoft nailed twenty, ten, five or one year ago. :rolleyes:

My wife owned an iMac and nothing worked. Took me so long to get the POS working right. And this was normal day to day things she did... Videos, ect. Microsoft Office was useless on Mac too. It'd never look the same in windows vs OSX so for productivity it was a waste.

On a serious note I haven't seen scaling not work in Windows 10 except for a random games here and there, which Macs can't even run, where the worst case is you use 1080P. Which you would probably be using anyways with a 960M.

Overall if you're talking productivity (besides music and photo/video) and/or gaming Macs aren't even in the equation.

It sounds like you're trading on a lot of stereotypes of how Macs used to be 10-plus years ago, rather than how they are now. Office 2016 is just dandy on a Mac, thanks! And while the Mac game selection still ain't great, you'd be surprised at how many Steam releases are cross-platform. They run smoothly if you have a decent dedicated GPU, although you obviously won't be playing many games at "Retina" resolutions.

On the app support, though: frankly, I don't think Apple cares. It's a consumer-focused hardware company that happens to be making inroads into enterprise, while Microsoft is the one bent on supporting every niche all the time. That's both a curse and a blessing. It means you're going to get that specialized engineering app on Windows and likely nowhere else, but it's also why Microsoft is still struggling to get people to move past Windows XP. It'd rather keep that legacy code around for a few years longer than risk angering corporate customers, even if it means that Windows doesn't advance as much as it should.

To refocus, though: the new Dell XPS line is good stuff. I just wish Windows developers would care as much about high-DPI apps as Mac developers do.

As an engineer myself, the 'engineer' in me says "GET THE XPS/Precision!". I wouldn't say that Apple doesn't support our apps, it's probably more of a case of the apps don't support Apple. After all Apple is a consumer product not really an enterprise product (at least for laptops/desktops), so the applications used in the enterprise market will focus on Windows. It's an effect of enterprise market-share, nothing more. It is humorous to see engineering apps and their marketing material showing the software superimposed on a Macbook Pro laptop.

I've trialed some of my engineering applications on Windows 10 and the next few years will be a hassle as some applications may be high DPI compatible, others won't and I see a future of constantly changing DPI/resolutions on Windows machines UNLESS you just settle for 1080p. Engineering applications aren't always the most up-to-date when it comes to advances like this which makes shelling out $2000+ for a laptop questionable for me. Some of the engineering applications I trialed were the latest revision and 'Windows 8/10' compatible...sure they can run in Windows 10 but they are unusable at a high DPI which will be required for anyone using a laptop w/ a 4k display (In my case that's what IT gave me, stuck with it for 3+ years). If the application uses bitmaps or graphics that can't scale such as icons in the menu bars, it throws it all apart. 4k becomes pointless. Running 1080p on a native 4k display isn't great either especially when I know IT shelled out $3000 - $3500 for my m4800.

Right now I'm shopping more for 'personal' use, but I am starting to do work on the side, so the laptop I purchase must accommodate this. But it's not enough work to make a Windows machine the final decision, 6 months ago it was a rMBP with Office 2016 and VMWare for my Windows needs. I have been saving my final final pennies and of course Dell and Microsoft booth come out with laptops that rival the rMBP....timing, go figure.

It sounds like you're trading on a lot of stereotypes of how Macs used to be 10-plus years ago, rather than how they are now.

Nope... this was ~ 2 years ago. Not stereotypes since I lived it.

Also it's not that Office on Mac was bad. It's that transferring anything beyond the extremely basic ppt or word and it would get skewed when viewed on a Windows machine. This made it useless to me.

As an engineer myself, the 'engineer' in me says "GET THE XPS/Precision!". I wouldn't say that Apple doesn't support our apps, it's probably more of a case of the apps don't support Apple.

All the same at the end of the day for me.

People have tried VMs with Macs in my company. They usually run into comms issues when connecting to PLCs/drives/HMIs, ect.

Last edited:
for those who have bought the XPS15, does it have the auto ambient light adjusting "feature" and if it does, can you turn it off?

i am very set on buying this laptop w/1080p, 256GB SSD and the i7, but ive read that this lighting "feature" couldnt be turned off on the previous XPS13s and it really bother some of the buyers. so much so that they returned the laptop.

Nope... this was ~ 2 years ago. Not stereotypes since I lived it.

Also it's not that Office on Mac was bad. It's that transferring anything beyond the extremely basic ppt or word and it would get skewed when viewed on a Windows machine. This made it useless to me.

Oof. Office 2016 would probably be gentler on you, but I see what you mean. At least these days you can turn to web versions that you know will produce consistent results.

I do think some aspects of your rough experience were case-specific, because I've had a largely great experience with Macs... I couldn't imagine using most Windows laptops, if partly because many of them have lousy designs. The XPS line is one of the few I'd consider.

People have tried VMs with Macs in my company. They usually run into comms issues when connecting to PLCs/drives/HMIs, ect.

Wonderful! We speak the same language! As a fellow controls engineer our pain is the same!

Personally, I love VMs, and while communication issues occur I wouldn't call it a an issue with the host computer. It is typically an issue with configuration settings that hang people up. I've been using VMWare Workstation for 5+ years now on a PC, love it, which is also why it makes using an Apple computer much more feasible that a few years ago. I've taken my wife's Mackbook Pro to work and tested out VM Ware fusion and have yet to have an issue. Few of our contractors that have done work for us love their Mac setup.

Regardless, for work in Industrial Automation a Windows machine @1080p is probably the requirement for a good 5 years and I would prefer the XPS over my m4800, can't believe how large that laptop is.

endlesszeal, I checked my brightness settings and I don't see any auto-brightness adjustment setting at all. The F11 & F12 keys are dedicated screen brightness keys and they're the only things making adjustments. I bought the same model you are considering and I'm pretty happy with it!

Regarding the DPI scaling, I'm also an Engineer and I work with quite a few vendor-specific applications. Surprisingly, all of the software I use on a daily basis is compatible with Win10. There were a couple that had issues with DPI scaling on my last high-res laptop but it never rendered the software completely useless. It was more of an annoyance because things would look sloppy and some reports would print with overlapping text. If you're dead set on a high res screen there are plenty of workarounds. Personally I didn't want the hassle, I'm too OCD to tolerate the sloppiness, and I need the battery life so I opted for the 1080p model.

For anyone who's interested, I opened mine up this morning and uploaded some pics HERE. A few notes...

1) The bottom panel is full size so it offers great access to the internal components but most of the external screws require a Torx T5 driver so make sure you have one if you plan on opening it up.

2) If you buy an SSD model they still include the HDD cage but not the SATA connector module. The ribbon connector is still present on the motherboard so you'll just need to make sure you get the SATA connector module to hook up your HDD (or 2.5" SSD).

3) The SSD (Samsung 951) is a 2280 module (22mm wide x 80mm long) and there are no additional standoffs to support other lengths.

4) The wifi card (DW1830) is an M.2 form factor, not the traditional mini PCIe.

5) For what it's worth, the service manual for this model is available HERE.

I just got an XPS 15 yesterday with the 16gb/512ssd and granted im not using it for work, just personal use, I love the 4k display. I thought I might as well get it so it can be more future proof. The ram can me upgraded to 32gb and well the 512ssd is pcie and is plenty fast. Touchpad is the best I ever had. I never tried macs though.

Would anyone mind sharing the model/part number for the larger 6-cell battery? I'd love to upgrade mine at some point but the parts and information just don't seem to be out there yet.

Back