Dell will not ship Gaming PCs to these states

Status
Not open for further replies.
But, in CA, you can plug in a fleet of electric cars at your house, because that is "good".

And they wonder why people are leaving their state?

Can't use fossil fuels, can't use electricity. Soon there will be only one resident, Greta Thunberg (she'll move there, if she can find passage on a "fishing" vessel).

The California energy requirements (which were adopted by a number of states)
1627317864924.png

Table V-8
List of Potentially Applicable Adders​

Function
Notebook Computers and Portable All-In-One Adder (kWh/yr)
System Memory​
4 + 0.15 * C Where C is the capacity in GB.4 + 0.15 * C Where C is the capacity in GB.
Energy-Efficient Ethernet​
0.9 per computer0.9 per computer
Storage device other than main storage device​
3.5-inch Drive: 26
2.5-inch Drive: 4.5
Solid State Drive (SSD): 0.5
Solid State Hybrid Drive (SSHD): 1.0
Other: 26 per storage device
2.6 per storage device
Integrated Display
Where:
“d” is the diagonal measurement of the display in inches
“r” is the megapixel resolution of the display
“A” is the monitor screen area in square inches
EP=0 for displays that are not enhanced performance displays​
For d<20: (8.76*0.35*(1+EP)* [(4.2*r) + 5.7])*0.8

For 20<d<23: (8.76*0.35*(1+EP)* [(4.2*r)+(0.02*A)+2.2])*0.8

For 23≤d<25: (8.76*0.35*(1+EP)* [(4.2*r)+(0.04*A)-2.4])*0.8

For 25≤d: (8.76*0.35*(1+EP)* [(4.2*r)+(0.07*A)-10.2])*0.8

r=6 for resolutions greater than 6 megapixels

Before July 1, 2021: EP=0.3 for displays with a color gamut support of 32.9% of CIELUV or greater (99% or more of defined sRGB colors); and
EP=0.75 for displays with a color gamut support of 38.4% of CIELUV or greater (99% or more of defined Adobe RGB colors

On or after July 1, 2021: EP=0.2 for displays with a color gamut support of 32.9% of CIELUV or greater (99% or more of defined sRGB colors); and
EP=0.6 for displays with a color gamut support of 38.4% of CIELUV or greater (99% or more of defined Adobe RGB colors
(8.76*0.3*(1+EP)* [(0.43*r)+(0.0263*A)]

EP+0.4 for displays with a color gamut support of 38.4% of CIELUV or greater (99% or more of defined Adobe RGB colors).​
For a multi-screen notebook, this adder is applied for each integrated display that is enabled when shipped and shall show the same test image during testing.​
For 25<d: (8.76*0.35*(1+EP)* [(4.2*r)+(0.07*A)-10.2])*0.8
Before July 1, 2021: EP=0.3 for displays with a color gamut support of 32.9% of CIELUV or greater (99% or more of defined sRGB colors); and EP=0.75 for displays with a color gamut support of 38.4% of CIELUV or greater (99% or more of defined Adobe RGB colors).
On or after July 1, 2021: EP=0.2 for displays with a color gamut support of 32.9% of CIELUV or greater (99% or more of defined sRGB colors); and EP=0.6 for displays with a color gamut support of 38.4% of CIELUV or greater (99% or more of defined Adobe RGB colors).*
First discrete GPU that is not packaged on the same substrate as the CPU (on or after January 1, 2019 and before July 1, 2021) Where “B” is frame buffer bandwidth measured in GB/s
58.6*tanh(0.0038*B-0.137)+26.8​
29.3*tanh(0.0038*B-0.137)+13.4​
First discrete GPU that is not packaged on the same substrate as the CPU (on or after July 1, 2021) Where “B” is frame buffer bandwidth measured in GB/s
29.4*tanh(0.008*B-0.03)+11+(0.011*B)​
14.7*tanh(0.008*B-0.03)+5.5+(0.0055*B)​
First discrete GPU that is packaged on the same substrate as the CPU (on or after July 1, 2021) Where “B” is frame buffer bandwidth measured in GB/s
29.4*tanh(0.008*B-0.03)+11+(0.011*B)​
14.7*tanh(0.008*B-0.03)+5.5+(0.0055*B)​
Additional Discrete GPU
11 per GPU​
5.5 per GPU​
Add-in Cards
This adder does not apply if either of the following criteria is met:
1) An adder is claimed for a device connected through this add-in-card; or
2) An interface score from Table V-1 applies to a slot or interface provided by this add-in-card
10 per card​
5 per card​
Video Surveillance Card
25 per card​
12.5 per card​
Wired Ethernet with a transmit rate of greater than 1 Gb/s and less than 10 Gb/s that is not an Add-in card
4 per computer​
0​
Wired Ethernet or Fiber Card with a transmit rate of 10 Gb/s or greater
25 per card​
12.5 per card​
High bandwidth system memory, where “S” is system memory bandwidth measured in GBs.

This adder does not apply to a computer that meets any of the following criteria:
1) Expandability score includes a credit for 4-channel memory.
2) System memory bandwidth Is less than 146 GB/s
3) Less than 4 GB of the system memory has a bandwidth of 146 GB/s or more and either:
a) Has an integrated display with a resolution of 9 megapixels or less; or b) Does not have an integrated display.
4) Uses an adder for a first discrete GPU.
22.78*tanh[0.006*(S-70)+0.15]-12.33​
9.11*tanh[0.006*(S-70)+0.15]-4.45​

Some of them still ship to those states. It looks like the PSUs might be the problem? The mechanical and electrical specs of these PCs are obfuscated enough that it's very hard to tell.

That’s part of it. Sleep is required.

Most likely. They look like gold efficiency models from what I’ve seen. Need to be 12VO or platinum to be allowed; either is efficient enough.
That's what it looks like to me, it's so hard to dig through pre-made sites for stuff only people like us on the [H] would care about.

Mean wile your run of the mill AC or close dryer likely draws far more power... Or even a space heater for that matter.

The worst they ever made were mid range at best.
They make pretty decent power supplies but Delta has had its issues. They also also cover the whole range of efficiencies, including ones that are unrated. If this is the actual cause, I have a lot of misgivings about basing anything on a voluntary, paid certification process.

Now, how is it my fault we're emitting CO2? Why can't we have nice things? Because the 'leaders' sat on their asses instead of developing the power grid? If I promise to stop breathing and thus reduce my carbon footprint to 0, may I please be exempt from additional 'climate' related charges to my power bill?

None of the currently available sources of energy can be produced without some sort of downside.

To me, we should be putting hydro generation anywhere and everywhere. Electricity, flood control, irrigation and drought mitigation (ahem! Southwestern US). But, certain salamanders need an untamed river flow. And white water rafting is no fun on a dammed River.

I can find images referenced from it in other places, such as the pin out and colour code.
View attachment 378527

But actual links to the information seem to be broken. I don't know if that means Intel scrubbed the mini spec when they actually released the 12VO or what the deal is.
But now that Intel has an actual 12VO spec in the wild I really hope Dell and HP adopt it and no longer keep with the 6+4 pin configurations they have been using.
That image is keeping both signaling wires (PS_ON and PWR_OK), but dropped 2 of the 3 regular 12V lines and the 3rd ground.

That image looks like a bad MS-paint crop of the full 10 pin connector, both with the numbering and the location of the retention clip.

But it's inhumane for computer users to have electricity when the homeless have to stay out in the hot California sun without state sponsored air conditioning. The average PC enthusiast in California should be ready and willing to assist those less fortunate by not using their computers so the homeless can be cooler in the summer.

/s

The California energy requirements (which were adopted by a number of states)
View attachment 378541

Curious what "ES" stands for in the graphic, ES between 250 and 425, what is that? Also curious how it's applies to total consumption, that's going to vary wildly based on actual usage, some Twitch streamer for instance would most likely use way more power than say me.

That said, willing to bet money this is a PSU issue, I mean all 80 plus PSUs (regardless of color) have a PFC of 0.9 at 50% load at least. So Dell wanting to cut corners and save money on the PSU ain't going to work anymore? If it's the PSU thing, then I have no problem with it. Water heaters, and furnaces have minimum requirements of efficiency now, an 80 plus PSU is something that should be standard by now too.

To me, we should be putting hydro generation anywhere and everywhere. Electricity, flood control, irrigation and drought mitigation (ahem! Southwestern US). But, certain salamanders need an untamed river flow. And white water rafting is no fun on a dammed River.
I was surprised to see Washington on this list. We have abundant hydro power. It's not perfect, but far as I can tell it's the best option we have at the moment.

See what's happening in the SW US with hydro? Record years of drought have put electrical production of these places in peril.

And FYI white water rafting on dammed rivers is perfectly fine, sure you may not be able to go 100 miles downstream, but you can do enough to be fun .. again though drought is going to be the biggest negative.

I'm so glad I left Cali when I was 18. Just like my Dad ran from Cuba at 19, I feel Cali is headed that direction. He can't return to Cuba, and I could never return to Cali. Certain folks are determined to destroy society. They will remain unnamed so I don't get dinged.
LOL. This comparison is absurd. California has the 5th largest economy in the world. They make some head-scratching decisions sometimes, but they must be doing something right.

Curious what "ES" stands for in the graphic, ES between 250 and 425, what is that? Also curious how it's applies to total consumption, that's going to vary wildly based on actual usage, some Twitch streamer for instance would most likely use way more power than say me.

That said, willing to bet money this is a PSU issue, I mean all 80 plus PSUs (regardless of color) have a PFC of 0.9 at 50% load at least. So Dell wanting to cut corners and save money on the PSU ain't going to work anymore? If it's the PSU thing, then I have no problem with it. Water heaters, and furnaces have minimum requirements of efficiency now, an 80 plus PSU is something that should be standard by now too.
Likely the R13 series or whatever they call the next iteration of the Alienware will use a proper 12VO PSU and that alone will solve the issue, their current proprietary 12V PSU's aren't terrible, they use some pretty low-quality parts but as Gamers Nexus showed give surprisingly good results despite the cheap parts. So those should already meet the new requirements.

LOL. This comparison is absurd. California has the 5th largest economy in the world. They make some head-scratching decisions sometimes, but they must be doing something right.

More Americans are leaving than coming to California. It could be far worse, but California has absolutely plateaued. Like New York it will start gradually loosing relevance from hereon out.

This comparison is pretty stupid too. It's only true because of the large population and they aren't doing anything special compared to the rest of the United States. They aren't first when it comes to GDP per capita, and they aren't even top 50% when you adjust for COL.

More Americans are leaving than coming to California. It could be far worse, but California has absolutely plateaued. Like New York it will start gradually loosing relevance from hereon out.
Yeah, lots of Californians moving north and driving up housing prices :(

West Virginia, Mississippi, and Illinois all lost population from 2010-2020. But of course the people leaving those states don't have the same kind of cash as Californians.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back