Dell Votes to Go Public Again

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Following rumors of an IPO back in September, and a public plan to shift shares of VMWare back in November, Dell has reportedly passed a vote that will allow the company to go public again. Dell decided to go private in 2013, but a spokesman told Techcrunch that the PC maker will be listed on the New York Stock Exchange once again.

With today's vote, Ray Wang, founder and principal analyst at Constellation Research, says the company is looking to move away from activist investors like Icahn and Elliott Management to more traditional institutional investors. “Michael Dell is attempting to rid his short-term activist shareholders for more mid- to long-term institutional types as he goes public again,” Wang explained. As the company returns to the public markets, it means it is in the fairly unique position of going from public to private to public again. Dell originally went public in 1988 before taking the company private again in 2013 in a $24.4 billion buy-back.

“Michael Dell is attempting to rid his short-term activist shareholders for more mid- to long-term institutional types as he goes public again,”

Mmmmhmmm, lemme know how that goes.

v48dx.jpg

I would like to see them actually have AMD offerings to us in their corporate line. We have a Dell only contract and the AMD offerings are priced such that the comparable Intel system is cheaper (well at least the last time I needed to purchase a high end desktop).

I would like to see them actually have AMD offerings to us in their corporate line. We have a Dell only contract and the AMD offerings are priced such that the comparable Intel system is cheaper (well at least the last time I needed to purchase a high end desktop).
With that history of shamelessly grabbing all that hey can from Intel when it was offered.
Michael Dell has a real pride in sales yet when it comes to selling it is selling out what made him more money ...

Well if the end was not already neigh for Dell; this will be the beginning of the end.
Usually when companies go public the quality goes way down to produce a cheaper product.

Isn't that what happened the first time? I've heard quality went back up after Michael Dell took it private again. I guess that's over.

Well since we have orders pending for some dell servers... may be worth while to get those in before products turn to poop in a rack.

Welp, if you're on the fence, pull the trigger on that Dell now. I have a feeling that after they go public it'll be back to mass market crap boxes with zero configurability like they were up till about 2013

Yea I just love how shareholders take a product that was good and whole then demand it be turned into crap in a box to milk the brand for a few years. It drives me NUTS.

You can thank the BILLIONS in loans that Mr Dell took out to buy back his company then buy EMC. Now the investors want to be paid so he doesn't have a choice.

Lol our del rep came by the other day and talked to us about it...said it was for tax purposes. I’ll still take my dell servers over HP and super micro. EMC can kiss my ass. Ohh uhh hey I know you just bought this San three years ago but the uhh maintainance renewel is gonna cost more than a new SAN and we convieniently have a quote for one attached.

Reactions: Rahh
like this
Lol our del rep came by the other day and talked to us about it...said it was for tax purposes. I’ll still take my dell servers over HP and super micro. EMC can kiss my ass. Ohh uhh hey I know you just bought this San three years ago but the uhh maintenance renewal is gonna cost more than a new SAN and we conveniently have a quote for one attached.

Ya EMC can eat it. NetApp for life :D. Seriously, a guy I know worked at a company Dell bought, they used to use NetApp and transitioned to EMC. When I was looking at a new NAS I asked him he said "Don't get Dell/EMC it is all kinds of incompetent now."

Back