Dell UP3214Q vs UP3216Q vs Asus ProArt 5K

Henri108

Limp Gawd
So I'm about to buy one of these Dell monitors, but I cannot find any difference except for the some connectivity changes.
There aren't any reviews comparing the two when I searched for them.

I also just noticed that Asus announced a 5K 32 inch monitor on June first, but no availability or pricing has been released yet.

I'm looking to spend somewhere around 1K for a monitor with 99%+ Adobe RGB support and native 10 bit color. I have a Quadro GPU, so I can actually output 10 bit.
Use is for photo-editing and softproofing before doing large format prints (I just got a 44 inch Epson Printer).

Any help and input is highly appreciated!

Scratch the 2016 version, it has the same problems as the latest revision of the U2515H, which start flickering randomly when using 2 monitors at a time.

UP3214Q is the Dell's first 32" 4K monitor and is replaced with UP3216Q. I don't see any reason to buy it unless it is half the price of the its replacement. It must have more bugs and actually as far as I know, doesn't do 4k 60hz with one cable connection: mst vs sst on UP3216Q which is much more preferable.

The Asus 32" ProArt 5K?! Has it entered the market? Price? If you are simply talking based on the Asus announcement, sit and behold. It may take a year before it actually hits the market and even then, it may be significantly more expensive than the Dell monitors (5K vs 4K). Don't get me wrong, if it is already around and in the same price, I'll but it right away.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'm down to the UP2715K and UP3216Q .
The UP2715K will mean a new Quadro M2000 needed though :(.

I chose UP3216Q because I thought 27" is too small for a 5k monitor.

Has anyone been able to find pricing and release date for the ProArt 5k?

My searching isn't revealing much.

32" 5k is literally my dream monitor - Simply perfect for me.

Has anyone been able to find pricing and release date for the ProArt 5k?

My searching isn't revealing much.

32" 5k is literally my dream monitor - Simply perfect for me.
There was a rumor saying it was going to be 5.000 bucks...

Anyone else have some input on the UP3216Q? Or a similar 4K monitor?

Mine should be here in about 2-3 days. It was supposed to be received more than 2 weeks ago but due to the errors by the shipping carrier (UPS), it returned back and got stuck somewhere in the middle. I can give feedback soon afterwards.

I believe BenQ's 32" 4K is well thought of. Think it's a VA panel? You might want to look in to that.

27" is too small for 4K unless you intend to scale everything and just try to make it more "sharp" than a lower res panel but the same usable area. Personally, I don't see the point of this. Stick with the 32" models.

He said he wantrd a wide gamut monitor which covers Adobe RGB; like me. That's why I went for the Dell since I wanted a 1-bit color wide gamut monitor. This kind of monitor is good for people who have the hardware and software (Photoshop) to make use of the monitor's capabilities. I am still waiting to receive mine though.

I believe BenQ's 32" 4K is well thought of. Think it's a VA panel? You might want to look in to that.

27" is too small for 4K unless you intend to scale everything and just try to make it more "sharp" than a lower res panel but the same usable area. Personally, I don't see the point of this. Stick with the 32" models.

Last edited:
UP3216Q is here. This is a brief introductory review. I will add more details as it goes and after I calibrate the monitor. There are non-image aspects of this monitor as well as its image quality which I plan to address. My previous monitors have been U3011, 2408wfp and older 20" CRT monitors in order of precedence. As you see, naturally there is an evolution of size or the monitor assets (both vertically and horizontally): 20 -> 24 -> 30 -> 31.5. The first three steps were intuitively significant jumps in size. However, moving from 30" 16:10 aspect ratio to 31.5" 16:9 doesn't quite give the same impression of size increase. While the new monitor feels noticeably wider, the height of the display area is about 1cm shorter than U3011. As a photographer for whom the vertical asset is just as important as the horizontal asset, the new monitor while still larger than the 30" one it replaces, doesn't feel much larger. I simply prefer 16:10 over 16:9; perhaps a 36" 16:10 5K monitor would be the best for me, lol.

Keep in mind I am no expert and my review is more intuitive than precise. It is going to be all about impressions and feelings without precise measurements and exact statements. You can find that kind of review in credible sites such as TFT Central.

Image quality

Anti-glare coating: All my displays have always been matte except for one Macbook Pro 13" glossy laptop I had a couple of years ago and I hated it much. I eventually got rid of it and decided never to buy another glossy screen (except for my smart phone; no choice, lol). U3011 and 2408wfp had noticeable AGC which wasn't perfect either. The grain was noticeable on white background and whites seems somewhat murky. I still much preferred them over any glossy screen I had ever seen. The UP3216's screen is also matte; there is no doubt about it since I see no reflection. However, its AGC seems enormously tamed and moderate comparing to my previous LCD monitors. Whites are much more pleasant to eyes.

Resolution for texts: I have presbyopia and I am more often using glasses for viewing near objects including my computer monitors. Texts on the UHD monitor seems noticeably sharper than U3011. Windows 10 text scaling seems doing a good job. The only applications so far that are showing tiny texts are Adobe products (Bridge, Photoshop, etc.). Who now says shame on Adobe?!

Resolution for images: I had already found some UHD wall papers online which I am using as my desktop background. These images seem noticeably sharper and more detailed when viewed on UP3216 than on U3011.

Image quality: I find the overall image quality is definitely better than U3011 (which in turn is no slouch by any means; one of the best available monitors for a long time before the emergence of 4k). There is a stronger sense of depth to the same image when viewed on UP3216Q than on U3011 or any other monitor I have ever seen with my eyes. Colors seems more vivid too and thanks to the new AGC, whites feels more like white in comparison.

Calibration: The monitor is factory pre-calibrated for sRGB and Adobe RGB color spaces. A calibration report paper comes with the monitor which shows delta E < 2!, very good if it's true. I will soon do my own calibration since I already have i1 Display Pro.

Convenience and other usage

An application called Display Manager comes with the monitor through which one can quickly switch between different monitor modes: Standard, Multimedia, Movies, Games, sRGB, Adobe RGB, CAL 1, etc; change the contrast and brightness on the fly, etc.. One can also choose the color mode per application: Adobe RGB for Photoshop, sRGB for Internet, Movies when watching a movie, etc.. Switching can now be done quickly thanks to Display Manager.

I received one USB 3.0 cable from computer to the monitor's hub, one display cable and one display to mini-display cable in the box.

Unfortunately, the USB hub on the monitor doesn't detect some of my USB storage devices. It seems particularly having problem with USB 3.0 devices because all USB 2.0 devices were detected and available to use when connected to a USB port on the monitor. Neither of my USB 3.0 devices (one flash stick and one external hard drive) were detected by the system when connected to the monitor. This is disappointing. Too bad, they have move all USB ports to the back of the monitor; three out of four facing down. There is only a SD card slot on the side of the monitor. I guess they did this because they want to keep the monitor as thin as possible. However, I find the USB port locations are inconvenient now as I have to move to the back of the monitor or turn it around in order to use them. In any case, the major problem I am facing now is if there is a solution to my USB 3.0 devices not detected by the system when connected to the monitor's hub. It can be a power problem: the monitor's hub cannot transfer enough power to these devices.

The monitor stand seems good solid and easy to manipulate. Unfortunately, it cannot be rotated vertically. The monitor seems made of plastic but the quality of the plastic seems good enough. The design is slicker and finer comparing to U3011 or other older Dell's monitors.

Conclusion

So far, I am very happy with the purchase for, the improvement in the image quality has met my expectations. I was worried about this purchase due to the dreaded lack of QC for which Dell is infamous. However, so far is so good.

I will soon test the monitor's 10bit color performance which was also a key factor in my decision to buy this monitor. All hardware in my system supports 10bit color. As far as I know, U3011 wasn't a true 10bit monitor but only 8bit + A-FRC while, UP3216Q is a true 10bit color monitor. I also plan to check some friends' opinion about the IQ of the new monitor.

Interestingly today, I also got a Dell 7710 which came with a UHD screen. I can perhaps do a comparison between the two if people are interested (but tell me what to do and what you want to do).

Last edited:
Can we get a comparison shot to your u3011? Size wise? I have one as well and am thinking of going 4k. I've seen a 40" 4k in person but not a comparison.

Here it is. I had removed the U3011 from my desk and I don't have a lot desk space for two monitors. So it took a while to arrange them side by side on my desk.

Back