Dell UP3017Q - 4K 120HZ Oled 30"

Screen saver like during 15 years with CRTs
you mean the first 15 years of CRTs? screen savers werent really needed in the 90s or 2000s

BTW IPS LCDs also have burn in too....my Sharp TV is getting burn ins do to it being 10 years old and now there is fairly easy image retention.

I’m curious where is the exhibition sample now. It certainly exists, and some people would probably like to buy it regardless of any drawbacks.

Only problem with screen saver is that they don't work half the time in Windows 10. Since I still use CRT, I have screen savers enabled. But for some reason they don't turn on most of the time. I'm not sure if one of my games is bugging out the inactivity timer or what.

Only problem with screen saver is that they don't work half the time in Windows 10.
I always run a screensaver (fwiw, the homemade WhiteScreen) manually each time I go away from my PC. With OLED, the only screensaver actually needed is black screen. ;-) Needless to say, relying on automatic start of a screensaver after some time leads to unreasonable burn-in corresponding to that time while too short delay makes computer unusable since screensaver is then often started during regular computer use (e.g. reading).

I have been using a 55" LG OLED 4k tv as a computer screen for over a year and nothing is seared into my screen. As long as the consumer is educated on screen preservation its a non-issue.....and consumers for displays over $2,000 tend to be pretty educated on the product.

What about things like static HUDs in games and other elements in Windows that might stay in the same place for long periods of time? For example if you always use a browser full screen, the toolbars and minimize/resize/close buttons in the top right corner? Or is a few hours of use per day not enough to cause issues on an OLED?

Sucks that this got cancelled!

I don't use my OLED as a monitor but no issues with static HUDs in games. I also have an older EC9300 (second-gen 1080p OLED) that still has no IR whatsoever, and I've owned that for nearly 2 years now.

The biggest issue with using these OLEDs for general use atm is the ABL I think, it's not noticeable in content generally but anytime you open up a bright web page or something the screen noticeably dims. For someone into content creation, that's kind of a big issue, might be one of the holdup on OLED monitors right now.

I don't use my OLED as a monitor but no issues with static HUDs in games. I also have an older EC9300 (second-gen 1080p OLED) that still has no IR whatsoever, and I've owned that for nearly 2 years now.

The biggest issue with using these OLEDs for general use atm is the ABL I think, it's not noticeable in content generally but anytime you open up a bright web page or something the screen noticeably dims. For someone into content creation, that's kind of a big issue, might be one of the holdup on OLED monitors right now.
adaptive back light?

that cant be turned off?

What about things like static HUDs in games and other elements in Windows that might stay in the same place for long periods of time? For example if you always use a browser full screen, the toolbars and minimize/resize/close buttons in the top right corner? Or is a few hours of use per day not enough to cause issues on an OLED?

Sucks that this got cancelled!

I've gamed on my OLED for 6+ hour stints with static HUD's and have had zero issues. I only hide my task-bar as a super caution practice and it's probably not even needed. These 2016+ OLED's have screen shift and auto-compensation wipe cycles, you literally would have to go out of your way to damage one. As a matter of fact, I haven't heard of a single 2016+ set that has permanent burn in.

Auto-hiding a task-bar is a tiny price to pay for using the best display on the planet. LCD is worthless junk compared. That's like saying I don't want to drive a McLaren P1 because the cup holder is too small to fit my big gulp.

I've gamed on my OLED for 6+ hour stints with static HUD's and have had zero issues. I only hide my task-bar as a super caution practice and it's probably not even needed. These 2016+ OLED's have screen shift and auto-compensation wipe cycles, you literally would have to go out of your way to damage one. As a matter of fact, I haven't heard of a single 2016+ set that has permanent burn in.

Auto-hiding a task-bar is a tiny price to pay for using the best display on the planet. LCD is worthless junk compared. That's like saying I don't want to drive a McLaren P1 because the cup holder is too small to fit my big gulp.

Thanks.

Yeah, I don't really have an issue with keeping the taskbar hidden. I just wanted to make sure that you don't have to be super careful about other things that may stay on the screen for hours at a time.

wait a sec.. wasn't this cancelled?

but it is on sale and ships in 2 weeks...
http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/accessories/apd/210-aiei?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=210-AIEI

NOOOOOOO! i really don't want this screen. I want it a little larger and DP 1.3/1.4.... but OLED...

$3500? And it's not even 120 Hz like the thread title says? Yeah, I'd rather have an LG OLED TV for much less. The input lag on those has gotten better in the last couple of generations.

I realize those with hookups that get special Dell pricing will pay less, and of course there will be sales, but this thing needs to come way down IMO. Still, it's a good thing that it even exists if it leads to others like it.

$3500? And it's not even 120 Hz like the thread title says? Yeah, I'd rather have an LG OLED TV for much less. The input lag on those has gotten better in the last couple of generations.

yeah, i have the 2016 and 2017 LG oleds and the input lag is nice. (i have a tester too.. 2016 g6 is 32ms and the 2017 c7 is 21ms)

I don't have a problem spending the money.. maybe even without the 120hz (maybe.. ), but now that I've seen HDR gaming - i think that would be a deal breaker for me. (maybe :) )

I'd love an OLED screen. All my TVs are, one of my Laptops is, phone.. etc..

but with hdmi 2.1 really close. (even the next xbox will, with a software/firmware/something update, support it.) next year might be the right time. That said, i always say that and upgrade everything every year :p

Sucks it's only 60 Hz, but at least they put HDMI 2.0 and DP 1.2 on it. The 120 Hz original version only had USB Type-C which was a no go. Bought it with military discount for $2,997.

It still has a USB Type-C input, so maybe you can still get 120 Hz using that instead of DP? Interesting that they included only DP 1.2 instead of DP 1.3 or 1.4 which could have supported 120 Hz.

It still has a USB Type-C input, so maybe you can still get 120 Hz using that instead of DP? Interesting that they included only DP 1.2 instead of DP 1.3 or 1.4 which could have supported 120 Hz.

The manual states the Displayport protocol through USB-C is 1.2, so only 4K @ 60 Hz.

Vega you already have a PG27UQ 4K@144hz? I though it wasnt released yet

Haha no, it won't be released until late summer. Just prepping my sig. ;)

So that was just a purely PR thing. I’m happy that I’m an OLED user (Tab S 10.5) for already two years, and nobody can cancel that.

I suspect an OLED monitor is a good candidate for crowdfunding. ^_^

I would even be fine with a 21-inch 5K monitor made of four Galaxy Tab S 10.5 displays.

I think we're going to have to wait for panels coming out of China for any crowdfunding. I don't really think a crowdfunded display would be able to source panels from LG, Samsung, or Japan Display. I could be wrong though.

I think we're going to have to wait for panels coming out of China for any crowdfunding. I don't really think a crowdfunded display would be able to source panels from LG, Samsung, or Japan Display. I could be wrong though.
what i would give for a 16:10 4K screen in OLED :/

Are there any known reviews of this monitor? BHPHOTO is selling it for $3000 and I'm really tempted to buy it! I saw some videos on youtube and the images I saw were incredible. I love my LG OLED 65B6P TV so I can only imagine how mucho I would love having a monitor with the same image quality. Do you think it's a wise investment future proof or will it be soon replaced by better options?

Are there any known reviews of this monitor? BHPHOTO is selling it for $3000 and I'm really tempted to buy it! I saw some videos on youtube and the images I saw were incredible. I love my LG OLED 65B6P TV so I can only imagine how mucho I would love having a monitor with the same image quality. Do you think it's a wise investment future proof or will it be soon replaced by better options?

Never mind my post. I just read the other thread. I were going to use this OLED monitor for working and gaming but now I see it's definitely a NO NO for gaming. I'm not going to spend that much money for a monitor with all the serious flaws I read on the other thread!

Never mind my post. I just read the other thread. I were going to use this OLED monitor for working and gaming but now I see it's definitely a NO NO for gaming. I'm not going to spend that much money for a monitor with all the serious flaws I read on the other thread!
what other thread?

This other thread: https://hardforum.com/threads/oled-4k-30-60-hz-dell-up3017q.1929730/page-6#post-1043020984

And in another site (overclockers.net) I read that this monitor it's supposed to be out of production and that Dell it's only selling their stock to get rid of it. It would be a shame because that would leave us without any OLED option at all. I guess no other vendor is going or willing to sell OLED monitors and no matter how good other monitors might be, I know that the only thing better than an OLED monitor is ANOTHER OLED monitor...

Last edited:
Hello all. As an user of a OLED display (LG 65" B6 series) I have come to love OLED way over all the other displays I've had before, no matter how good they were. The difference in favor of my OLED tv is enormous. I was eagerly waiting for an OLED monitor and now seeing that this Dell monitor is available and ready to order (at least in BHPHOTO) I got excited about the idea of buying it. I haven't read any professional review and there are only 2 "reviews" in YouTube.

My question is: I would like to use the monitor for basic stuff (web browsing, working with MS Office apps, email reading) and also watching from time to time YouTube videos and GAMING. I find gaming on my 65" OLED tv somehow distracting and I currently use a 34" Samsung CF791 monitor. Sure, the 100hz refresh rate of that monitor is a pleasure to work with but if I was able able to have a monitor with the same great IMAGE QUALITY of my 65" tv I would rather have that option vs a "gaming" monitor.

Given all the flaws some people have found about this Dell OLED monitor, for my said uses, given that, I really love the colors rendition, image quality and perfect blacks of my 65" tv, would I get to have the same experience with the Dell OLED monitor? I'm afraid about some light strobe issues I've read about these monitor, but given that I'm not an expert, again, for my uses, would I find that working and playing with the Dell monitor will be an unbearable activity? Compared with my current monitor, would I gain in image quality and motion handling (watching videos and gaming) with these Dell OLED monitor? Thank you very much for your insight!

Wow! Dell officially killed today this monitor! Now, for the first time it says: "No longer available" http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/accessories/apd/210-aiei

I was almost decided to buy this monitor from BHPHOTO but how comfortable could one be paying US$3000 for a product that the vendor is no longer producing!!

Does anyone in this forum still keep their UP3017Q? Any regrets? You still think is the best monitor one can buy as of today?

Unfortunately the monitor only has limited uses. The 120 Hz strobe produces a double image which is kinda strange for gaming.

It has no HDR, no HDCP so no 4K Blu-ray watching. It's basically a great OLED panel hobbled by poor electronics. And a chassis fan to boot.

I returned mine for a 55" C7 and have not looked back.

Unfortunately the monitor only has limited uses. The 120 Hz strobe produces a double image which is kinda strange for gaming.

It has no HDR, no HDCP so no 4K Blu-ray watching. It's basically a great OLED panel hobbled by poor electronics. And a chassis fan to boot.

isnt the panel also super prone to burn in and angles have bad tinting?

I know my S7 had terrible image burn after 1 year and S7 and S8 tint pretty bad at angles. Not TN bad but IPS has much better viewing angles.

Vega, thank you for your informed response. A response like that was the one I was waiting just to forget the idea of getting this monitor. I was quite excited but I must resist! :)

Back