Dell UP3017Q - 4K 120HZ Oled 30"

It's not just that the fill-factor on OLEDs is lower than LCD or other display technologies, the other issue is that LG's displays use a WRGB pixel structure so you often have fewer subpixels illuminated at once.
On an RGB display showing white, all subpixels are illuminated. On a WRGB display only 1/4 of the subpixels may be illuminated, making the screen-door problem even worse.

I don't see any SDE from 3-4 feet away on my 55" 4K OLED. The real problem with using it as a monitor is the ABL, any pages with a lot of white dim the screen, and it's pretty annoying for desktop use. But in gaming or watching movies, I rarely ever notice the ABL. At the moment, that's the only reason I don't recommend these displays for daily desktop use.

51MeLv4DIqL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

wishful-thinking-no-matter-how-bad-aint-gonna-happen-demotivational-poster.jpg

Foreign made panels on every desktop? That doesn't sound very Trumpian.

Well, my original prop[H]ecy was that we wouldn't have a 4K 120Hz consumer priced screen this decade.

To clarify, Consumer pricing is less than $3K.

A USA-made panel would definitely not fit this requirement.

There is a chance that 17 in the model name means the year the monitor is going to be really released on. I’m looking forward what OLED monitors are going to be showcased at upcoming CES 2017.

Still waiting for this to finally release, since I can't ship anything larger than 40" like an LG OLED overseas (and local prices stay at MSRP). Smallest is still 55" for those.

Oh well, will make do with what I have for now...

Is it wrong that I want this to have freesync with a range of 30HZ to 120Hz to annoy nvidia people? Am I a bad person?

Now only if AMD can drive this thing then that would b e awesome . I'm so getting tired of no competition

you mean 1080......

The day they sell 4K 16:10 i will have a geekgasm.

No, I mean 1200p, 1224p, 1440p, 900p, 1620p, whatever. GPU scaling don't care. And with 2160p lines to smooth things out, it should all look pretty good.

I mean, developers have been using GPU scaling on consoles heavily for the past two generations. I wish monitor makers would encourage to sell 4k 120hz monitors.

No, I mean 1200p, 1224p, 1440p, 900p, 1620p, whatever. GPU scaling don't care. And with 2160p lines to smooth things out, it should all look pretty good.

I mean, developers have been using GPU scaling on consoles heavily for the past two generations. I wish monitor makers would encourage to sell 4k 120hz monitors.
GPU Scaling looks like shit. 720P in 1080 is super crappy and i wouldn't use anything but 1080 on a 4K

GPU Scaling looks like shit. 720P in 1080 is super crappy and i wouldn't use anything but 1080 on a 4K

I haven't tried it yet myself, but I imagine upscaling on a 4k monitor will look MUCH better than upscaling on a 1080p monitor. There are four times the pixels to work with to smooth out the picture. I've seen a few users here that have tried 1440p on their 4K TV's and seem satisfied.

I haven't tried it yet myself, but I imagine upscaling on a 4k monitor will look MUCH better than upscaling on a 1080p monitor. There are four times the pixels to work with to smooth out the picture. I've seen a few users here that have tried 1440p on their 4K TV's and seem satisfied.

eh....to each their own but i loathe it lol.

eh....to each their own but i loathe it lol.

It's not an idea solution, but at least you could run more games on Ultra settings by just selecting an internal resolution that works, instead of having to reduce settings to high or medium.

Not to mention some games are better about upscaling now, by using their temporal anti-aliasing to soften the upscale. Look at Titanfall 2's adaptive resolution option. It drops your resolution instead of your frame rate, and honestly doesn't look that bad. Hectic action scenes just get slightly blurrier, but still look great.

It's not an idea solution, but at least you could run more games on Ultra settings by just selecting an internal resolution that works, instead of having to reduce settings to high or medium.

Not to mention some games are better about upscaling now, by using their temporal anti-aliasing to soften the upscale. Look at Titanfall 2's adaptive resolution option. It drops your resolution instead of your frame rate, and honestly doesn't look that bad. Hectic action scenes just get slightly blurrier, but still look great.
wouldn't know never played it.

Is oled absolutely necessary. There is new technology in the making.
Panasonic Develops IPS Panel with 1,000,000:1 Contrast Ratio, 1000 Nits Brightness. Panasonic has found a way to substantially increase contrast ratio of IPS LCDs using a high-brightness backlight and a special layer of light-modulating cells that enable pixel-by-pixel control of backlight intensity. These figures mean that a black level of 0.001 nits should be possible. Panasonic intends to start sample shipments of its new monitors in January, 2017, so the commercialization of the technology will not be too far off.

Panasonic Develops IPS Panel with 1,000,000:1 Contrast Ratio, 1000 Nits Brightness. Panasonic has found a way to substantially increase contrast ratio of IPS LCDs using a high-brightness backlight and a special layer of light-modulating cells that enable pixel-by-pixel control of backlight intensity. These figures mean that a black level of 0.001 nits should be possible. Panasonic intends to start sample shipments of its new monitors in January, 2017, so the commercialization of the technology will not be too far off.

What? This sounds a little too good to be true? Link?

Yes because LCD do not have the response times needed to have fluid motion. Also why monitor manufactures need to build in flicker support inside the monitor so we don't have to have Nvidia GPUs.

If you have ever used CRT or ULMB you know what i am talking about. ULMB LCD are not even as good as CRTs but they are as close as you get. OLED has the potential to beat CRTs

Last edited:
Yes because LCD do not have the response times needed to have fluid motion. Also why monitor manufactures need to build in flicker support inside the monitor so we don't have to have Nvidia GPUs.

If you have ever used CRT or ULMB you know what i am talking about. ULMB LCD are not even as good as CRTs but they are as close as you get. OLED has the potential to beat CRTs

My mind is consistently blown by people who don't even enable ULMB on ULMB capable displays. ULMB @ 120hz is much, much clearer than a regular "fast" LCD @ 165hz, at least on my 27" Acer.

My mind is consistently blown by people who don't even enable ULMB on ULMB capable displays. ULMB @ 120hz is much, much clearer than a regular "fast" LCD @ 165hz, at least on my 27" Acer.
100% 120hz ULMB is ~ 300hz

http://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion-blur/10vs50vs100/

So OLED had no motion blur?
yes it does. It is called persist and hold.

you need blinking/strobing to remove the persist and hold. and the short the strobe the better. 10% is super crisp but liek 20 nit lol

100% is like 100-150 nit which is fine in a pitch black room

http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/oled-motion-blur/

read this whole site
http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/60vs120vslb/
http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/lcd-motion-artifacts/

CRTs are about 2 ms. light boost at 10% 120hz is ~CRT but you see very bad ghosting. 3-4 images. You see it at 100% but clarity is worth the trail. You want a ghost or a massive blur? I'll take the ghosts.

You really want 1ms but OLED is the only tech that can pull it off besides maybe plasma? But OLed has a long ways to go to be able to ramp up and down. Look at the OLED page and the graph showing the up and down. I hope they test Dells screen when it comes out. Wonder if it is better or worse.

Last edited:
Reactions: steal
like this
This things got PWM, no DP 1.4 and its FIVE large.....its he crappiest vaporware evar.

OH man that sucks. I guess I will be using LG's OLED TV's as my monitor for a lot longer.

Man. So I guess there are still no OLED displays in existence that go above 60hz? Not even 75hz?

I wonder if the new factories coming on line this year and next year will change the situation. Or will it all be 60hz TV's with 25-45ms input lag.

So that was just a purely PR thing. I’m happy that I’m an OLED user (Tab S 10.5) for already two years, and nobody can cancel that.

I suspect an OLED monitor is a good candidate for crowdfunding. ^_^

I would even be fine with a 21-inch 5K monitor made of four Galaxy Tab S 10.5 displays.

Last edited:
LG and Dell know that current OLED technology won't work for desktop computers. There would have been monitors already if it were even remotely possible. I mean, sure, you could do them if you don't mind having the Windows start button seared into your screen.

What a great industry.

LG and Dell know that current OLED technology won't work for desktop computers. There would have been monitors already if it were even remotely possible. I mean, sure, you could do them if you don't mind having the Windows start button seared into your screen.

What a great industry.

I have been using a 55" LG OLED 4k tv as a computer screen for over a year and nothing is seared into my screen. As long as the consumer is educated on screen preservation its a non-issue.....and consumers for displays over $2,000 tend to be pretty educated on the product.

I have been using a 55" LG OLED 4k tv as a computer screen for over a year and nothing is seared into my screen. As long as the consumer is educated on screen preservation its a non-issue.....and consumers for displays over $2,000 tend to be pretty educated on the product.
What do you do to prevent burn-in of the taskbar? Auto-hide?

Auto hide taskbar, hide desktop icons, rotation of background displays. To get burn in on an OLED you really gotta be trying.

Uh, I don't WANT to auto hide the taskbar. That sucks. You think I'm going to work around a technology's crippling shortcomings? Give me a break dude.

Back