Dell UP3017Q - 4K 120HZ Oled 30"

I use a 10 bit screen and I do have some requirements for 10bit workflow. Quite a few of the mid-higher end IPS panels support 10bit. Not to mention in games or other applications which support it, less banding and a wider gamut is always good. But the elephant in the room everyone forgets, is HDR content, which is coming with 4k bluray. So realistically, unless you swap screens every year, this will affect your decision, if that is support you would like to make use of.

96Hz still isn't bad but would've hoped for 120hz.

I doubt anyone would really be able to tell the difference between 10bit and 8-bit+FRC.

But yes, if you really "need" 10-bit, 96 Hz is still quite an upgrade from 60 Hz. Especially when it comes with OLED.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I doubt anyone would really be able to tell the difference between 10bit and 8-bit+FRC.

But yes, if you really "need" 10-bit, 96 Hz is still quite an upgrade from 60 Hz. Especially when it comes with OLED.

Why do I need 120hz?

I find the dither/noise to be quite noticeable even with 8-bit+FRC. It's likely more noticeable on an OLED display too, with its faster response times.
LCD's slower response time tends to average out dither more than it adds noise.

Agreed, 96Hz is still pretty good for 4K considering that we've been stuck at 60Hz for a while now.
And considering that there is only one game that currently supports 10-bit (Alien: Isolation) using 8-bit for gaming is not really a problem right now.

It's more important to have a 10-bit panel and >10-bit internal processing, than it is to be sending it a 10-bit input.

Ya, may have been vaporware. I hate how companies show off something and then it could never be spoken about again leaving people wondering.

On the plus side, this makes it easier for me to consider buying the 5k monitor. Probably pick it up this month or May on Amazon.

French article says it won't hit the market until potentially Q3.

Mais où est le moniteur Oled de Dell ?

Translation: "The Dell UltraSharp monitor UP3017Q is the first OLED monitor the market.Its 30-inch panel displays Ultra HD resolution of 3840 x 2160 px, a 0.1 ms response time, viewing angles to the larger, virtually unlimited contrast - Dell announces timidly to 400,000: 1 - and a 100% coverage of the Adobe RGB color space.More good news, the refresh rate up to 120Hz. In terms of connectivity, it has a USB input conveying the C-DisplayPort and up to 100 watts output to power a laptop.It also offers an HDMI 2.0 input and a mini-DisplayPort 1.2 input.On paper, it's simply the ideal monitor. Dell has announced that the release of this new generation monitor is postponed. Originally scheduled for the end of March, it will be available a little later, probably in the third quarter.The US company said it is currently refining the final adjustments prior to production. Price, meanwhile, should not move since the UltraSharp UP3017Q will be sold at around $ 5000, and therefore at least as much in euros.That still leaves a little time to save."

Last edited:
If it's not being produced until summer, I could see a Q3 retail.

There are 1080p OLED TV's. Supposedly some coming to laptops soon too.

I found a "Desktop" computer that can run this new display at 4K @ 120Hz for those that don't want to use a laptop:

MSI Vortex

Basically, MSI took full desktop chip GTX 980's (but in laptop form factor cards) and made a mini-desktop PC. It has a much better cooling system than a Laptop, so the 980's won't have the heat and power brick wattage limitations of a Laptop, while keeping the Thunderbolt 3 connectivity. Actually pretty clever of MSI.

Although, pushing 4K @ 120 FPS/Hz I still feel will be a bit too much for two 980's in SLI in any modern game. And if your game doesn't play nice with SLI, well; you are left with a single 980 trying to push 4K @ 120 FPS/Hz. :eek:

Definitely the best option though for this new OLED monitor! It will be pretty pricey though (~$4K), NVIDIA charges an arm and a leg for those laptop form factor 980's.

I found a "Desktop" computer that can run this new display at 4K @ 120Hz for those that don't want to use a laptop:

MSI Vortex

Basically, MSI took full desktop chip GTX 980's (but in laptop form factor cards) and made a mini-desktop PC. It has a much better cooling system than a Laptop, so the 980's won't have the heat and power brick wattage limitations of a Laptop, while keeping the Thunderbolt 3 connectivity. Actually pretty clever of MSI.

Although, pushing 4K @ 120 FPS/Hz I still feel will be a bit too much for two 980's in SLI in any modern game. And if your game doesn't play nice with SLI, well; you are left with a single 980 trying to push 4K @ 120 FPS/Hz. :eek:

Definitely the best option though for this new OLED monitor! It will be pretty pricey though (~$4K), NVIDIA charges an arm and a leg for those laptop form factor 980's.

Two 980s in SLI wont hit 60Hz let alone 120. I'm running two overclocked Titan X cards and i can barely keep 60Hz with ~maxed settings.

MSI Vortex

???

Looking at the pricing on the 2016 LG OLED TVs I'm not sure I could justify a purchase of one of those and one of these this year. Going to be tough to pick one... as I'm sure it will spoil me for the other.

I'm pretty sure once I go OLED, I won't be able to tolerate much else...

Maybe Black Friday will be extraordinary this year though.

Looking at the pricing on the 2016 LG OLED TVs I'm not sure I could justify a purchase of one of those and one of these this year. Going to be tough to pick one... as I'm sure it will spoil me for the other.

I'm pretty sure once I go OLED, I won't be able to tolerate much else...

Maybe Black Friday will be extraordinary this year though.

The first gen is always skip worthy. They'll release another OLED next year (with fewer problems that will naturally exist in this screen), and maybe NVidia/AMD will release a high end graphics card that can natively output to it.

The LG 2016 models are greatly improved over the 2015's. The input lag is reduced from 52ms to 32ms, the screen can get brighter/has full HDR support and the near black issues resolved.

I'm still interested in this Dell but if you don't have a computer that can run it properly (very fast GPU's with TB3 connectivity), it's a fairly moot point.

The LG 2016 models are greatly improved over the 2015's. The input lag is reduced from 52ms to 32ms, the screen can get brighter/has full HDR support and the near black issues resolved.

I'm still interested in this Dell but if you don't have a computer that can run it properly (very fast GPU's with TB3 connectivity), it's a fairly moot point.

What model(s)? Or is every 2016 LG OLED like that?

Supposedly all LG 2016's have the faster electronics. I'll know in a few days when my OLED55C6P arrives.

Well at least they're getting there. 30+ ms still a bit too high for me personally though, owned a Samsung U28D590D which has about 35ms input latency and that was too high :/ is it so hard to make a TV with low input lag at 4:4:4? Samsung and Vizio have great input lag but at the cost of reduced chroma.

Can someone explain what 444 is in basic terms? I looked it up after reading about it here all the time and came away completely confused.

Well at least they're getting there. 30+ ms still a bit too high for me personally though, owned a Samsung U28D590D which has about 35ms input latency and that was too high :/ is it so hard to make a TV with low input lag at 4:4:4? Samsung and Vizio have great input lag but at the cost of reduced chroma.

The 2016 Vizio P series is 444 and so are the 2015/2016 Samsungs. The VIzio has lower input lag afaik, but I'm not sure of the actual number.

Has anyone confirmed that this screen will actually do 120Hz 4K? And if so, is via Thunderbolt?

32ms is still a bit high, but considering the "best" 4K TV's do low 20's and the previous years did 52ms is quite an improvement. 52ms to 32ms is quite noticeable. Plus having OLED's ridiculously good picture makes it a little more bearable!

Has anyone confirmed that this screen will actually do 120Hz 4K? And if so, is via Thunderbolt?

Dell confirmed in a video interview on Youtube. I would think one of Dell's reps would be schooled up on such a talking point. Plus it makes sense with the significant cost!

The 2016 Vizio P series is 444 and so are the 2015/2016 Samsungs. The VIzio has lower input lag afaik, but I'm not sure of the actual number.

The vizio and samsung cannot do full chroma when they are in game mode. Samsung needs to be in PC mode and vizio using any HDMI port thats not #5. And when they do the chroma is now 444 but the input lag goes up as a result

You'd probably have to run modern games at the minimum settings to get 980 SLI at 4K up near 120 FPS. And for those games that don't work with SLI, 'forgettabout it!

This means that gamers will be not using max settings, not that 980 SLI won't hit 120fps at 4k. With adequate settings, even 970 SLi can run 4k

You'd probably have to run modern games at the minimum settings to get 980 SLI at 4K up near 120 FPS. And for those games that don't work with SLI, 'forgettabout it!

It's like you guys have never heard of GPU scaling.

Having a 4k monitor actually frees you up to run all sorts of resolutions, since the artifacts from non-integer scaling will be less noticeable. And you could always set the refresh rate lower if you're trying to run a v-synced game at 60 or 90 fps or whatever.

So in theory, you could run a game at 1440p , 900p, 1620p or whatever on a 4k monitor and still have a pretty good experience

Non native resolution always looks horrible to me. Not sure why you would spend $5K on a monitor to use it in gimp mode! The only way I'd ever buy this monitor is if I could actually drive it at 4K@120FPS.

Non native resolution always looks horrible to me. Not sure why you would spend $5K on a monitor to use it in gimp mode! The only way I'd ever buy this monitor is if I could actually drive it at 4K@120FPS.

Have you used Nvidia's GPU scaling with your 4k OLED at all? Surely it looks better than, say, playing a 900p game on 1080p TV (a la BF4 on PS4) or a 1080p game on a 1440p monitor?

Sure, it's not ideal, but when 4k monitors and OLEDs get cheaper, I think this will be a good way to go, instead of locking yourself into 1080p or 1440p.

Vega and I thank you, EnhancedInterrogator for the lesson on GPU scaling, which, as you said, we never heard before.
:rolleyes:

Maybe it's just me, but I think that the vast majority of potential customers are going to use this monitor to work on images, not play games. Don't get me wrong, if I got one, I'd try gaming on it, but the reason to get it is for photos...and perhaps video.

Maybe it's just me, but I think that the vast majority of potential customers are going to use this monitor to work on images, not play games. Don't get me wrong, if I got one, I'd try gaming on it, but the reason to get it is for photos...and perhaps video.
Unless it's the first consumer-grade OLED available which doesn't vary its brightness based on the average picture level, those people are going to be in for a shock.

Does anyone think we'll actually see a proper review before these hit the street?

Not that I would drop this kind of money without seeing ample reviews, but Dell probably already has plenty of business client orders for this thing just waiting, so they might push it out regardless of any flaws.

This just seems to be the too good to be true monitor (where the price is the reality-hammer coming down).

32ms is a fucking joke for an OLED panel. They should have less input latency than 1ms TN panels. There's no excuse. That's one of the benefits of OLED over LCD.

Back