Dell UP3017Q - 4K 120HZ Oled 30"

Finally, my dreams have come true. If it came down to this and the Seiki 32" 4K monitor then well; I'd pick the OLED if I have the cash.

i wanna see what Eizo is doing with OLED matrixes in the future, can't wait!

People expecting 4K 120hz are maybe bit over ambitious. I doubt we have connectivity for that yet and most of all no comercial GPU has horse power to drive those kinds of framerates at that resolution, Hell even Tri-SLI Titan X would struggle. But 4K @ 60hz and 1080p (and maybe 1440p) @ 120hz is doable, Seiki did something like this in their 4K TV's. And that would be quite ideal real life situation too IMHO. 4K 60hz for desktop and games where visuals are more important than speed, and 1080p 120hz for the occasional competitive twitch shooter, platformer or fighting game where low lag and speed are needed.

People expecting 4K 120hz are maybe bit over ambitious. I doubt we have connectivity for that yet and most of all no comercial GPU has horse power to drive those kinds of framerates at that resolution, Hell even Tri-SLI Titan X would struggle. But 4K @ 60hz and 1080p (and maybe 1440p) @ 120hz is doable, Seiki did something like this in their 4K TV's. And that would be quite ideal real life situation too IMHO. 4K 60hz for desktop and games where visuals are more important than speed, and 1080p 120hz for the occasional competitive twitch shooter, platformer or fighting game where low lag and speed are needed.

3 way SLI can normally handle most games in 4k (unless the game itself isn't full using SLI). I have a 3 way SLI Titan X on my HTPC (connected to a LG 65" 4k OLED).
Witcher 3, fallout 4, GTA V, etc all work great. (but to your point.. not much greater than 60-70fps .. (other than mgs v which can ez do 4k with 2 cards))

I have 4 way Titan X on my main PC (which i'll most likely get that Dell OLED for).
But anyone crazy 'nuff to put a few grand in video cards is going to put a few grand in a monitor. The price is little different that the first 4k@ 60hz screens from 2-3 years ago. (side note, &!@% those titled 4k screens. sooooo $$$$ and took forever to get support from NVidia)

DisplayPort 1.3 will do 4K120.
The performance demands of 4K120 depend entirely on the game that you're trying to play, and Adaptive-Sync or G-Sync support would mean that you don't need a constant 120 FPS to benefit from >60Hz.
120Hz is noticeable even on the desktop though, so if the hardware can do it, why not support it?

And I would expect that people spending $5000 on a display expect it to last more than a year or two. It hopefully won't be that long until we have hardware capable of running the latest games above 60 FPS at 4K.

DisplayPort 1.3 will do 4K120.
The performance demands of 4K120 depend entirely on the game that you're trying to play, and Adaptive-Sync or G-Sync support would mean that you don't need a constant 120 FPS to benefit from >60Hz.
120Hz is noticeable even on the desktop though, so if the hardware can do it, why not support it?

And I would expect that people spending $5000 on a display expect it to last more than a year or two. It hopefully won't be that long until we have hardware capable of running the latest games above 60 FPS at 4K.

No card has Displayport 1.3 yet though. But I hope this will be fixed in upcoming Pascal/Polaris cards.

Oh and I know 120hz benefits desktop too. I have a 120hz monitor and when I tried using my 60hz TV as a monitor for a while I freaked out how wierd and stuttery the cursor felt after few months of using 120hz exclusively. :D But its far from mandatory, your brain will rewire itself back to 60hz in no time because the motion is still smooth enough to not be a slideshow.

mainly Im just super excited for the response time.
Mind you, input lag is composed of more than just pixel response time. But quick pixel response will at least solve overdrive overshoot trails, and reduce blur slightly.

It's a little too large for my taste (24" is my sweet spot), but if burn-in really is solved, I'll probably splurge on this. OLED, 4k, and 120 Hz? I think we have a new best gaming monitor.

Love how these sites and reviews always leave out a key parameter for monitors: input lag. LG OLED TV reportedly had lots of input lag. Hope this one is better. Any word on the input lag on this thing?

I read somewhere, someone posted DP 1.3 didn't have enough bandwidth for 120Hz 4K - can anyone run the numbers?

Also, 120Hz is still very viable. I have Titan X SLI under water, and while some of today's AAA games won't hit 120 FPS, they certainly go over 60, so there is benefit to it. Old games certainly will.

I would not worry about input lag. It's a monitor from Dell, so they know what they're doing.

OLED response time will cut input lag compared to typical displays by as little as a few ms to upwards of 20ms depending on display tech you compare it to. Sure, processing lag still has to be accounted for, but I've only ever used 1 monitor with actual terrible input lag - Acer's POS 32" 4K IPS. It was as bad as my OLED TV...

Also keep in mind this is a CES teaser, not a review. But if they got to touch the mouse, they'd surely be able to at least comment on it, along with the damn connectivity. Sometimes I wonder how these people get invited to CES who don't know jack about detailed impressions.

I'm hoping 4K 120Hz would be possible with two DP 1.2 connections like in early 4K with HDMI - I don't think there were major issues, were there?

Definitely USB Type-C support. Maybe Thunderbolt 3? Not sure.

Either way, I need a new motherboard. Skylake Extreme + Rampage VI Extreme + 128 GB RAM + Dell 30" OLED later this year?

Last edited:
Someone order this thing already so that the rest of us can stop speculating. :D

Kyle? :p

Now if only it had some kind of connectivity option that you could plug into a GPU :D

but I've only ever used 1 monitor with actual terrible input lag - Acer's POS 32" 4K IPS. It was as bad as my OLED TV...

Are you talking about the Acer B326HK? I was thinking about getting a factory recert one for $530 the other day. Til I came across a review that say high input lag. I already got one 32 in 4K with high input lag of 40ms (Crossover 324K) so I said no thanks.

Dat pricetag.

I think I"m going back to waiting available OLED. See ya in 2020.

Liking everything except the size. Should've been 21:9 or 16:10 at least for 30".

If 40" or bigger 16:9 then I would've gotten one for sure, but it's just too small for its MSRP

/patiently waits for 2nd generation to roll around that I can afford.

Liking everything except the size. Should've been 21:9 or 16:10 at least for 30".

If 40" or bigger 16:9 then I would've gotten one for sure, but it's just too small for its MSRP

I'm with you there. I was hoping to move to a bigger size from my current 27" Eizo, so although these specs of 4K oled @120Hz are so enticing, I am balking at the price for the size. 40" would be perfect IMO. But still, I am eagerly anticipating more info...

Are you talking about the Acer B326HK? I was thinking about getting a factory recert one for $530 the other day. Til I came across a review that say high input lag. I already got one 32 in 4K with high input lag of 40ms (Crossover 324K) so I said no thanks.

Yep. Picked one up from Microcenter about a year ago to try it out. While it looked decent, it felt like garbage from the moment I turned it on. The BenQ 3201PH version is really good though, but expensive as shit for what it is compared to these Samsung TV's.

120Hz is confirmed now, not sure about what connectors they are using though.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic...p-display-that-costs-4999-ces-2016/?p=6935395

I read somewhere, someone posted DP 1.3 didn't have enough bandwidth for 120Hz 4K - can anyone run the numbers?

Also, 120Hz is still very viable. I have Titan X SLI under water, and while some of today's AAA games won't hit 120 FPS, they certainly go over 60, so there is benefit to it. Old games certainly will.

I would not worry about input lag. It's a monitor from Dell, so they know what they're doing.

OLED response time will cut input lag compared to typical displays by as little as a few ms to upwards of 20ms depending on display tech you compare it to. Sure, processing lag still has to be accounted for, but I've only ever used 1 monitor with actual terrible input lag - Acer's POS 32" 4K IPS. It was as bad as my OLED TV...

Also keep in mind this is a CES teaser, not a review. But if they got to touch the mouse, they'd surely be able to at least comment on it, along with the damn connectivity. Sometimes I wonder how these people get invited to CES who don't know jack about detailed impressions.

I'm hoping 4K 120Hz would be possible with two DP 1.2 connections like in early 4K with HDMI - I don't think there were major issues, were there?

displayport 1.3 has enough bandwidth for 4k@ 120Hz, but not 4k + HDR @ 120Hz

That's amazing, hopefully the prices will come down quickly just like most 4K monitors have.

Here's some additional hands-on/press releases of the monitor:

Engadget Wollman has some additional shots of the monitor and screen.

PCmonitors Simmons gives some thoughtful commentary on the specs.

TFT Central Because it's TFT Central. :)

This is good news for PC consumers. Let's hope the price will come down as fast as 4k prices :)

After following that Engadget link, I have to assume whoever that was knows zero about monitors. They said the 4999 price is "reasonable for 4k" and other than the title, never mentioned that this is basically the only OLED monitor of its kind. Who do they send to these things?!

And nobody believed me when I called out the pricing on the first 4k OLED monitors :p although I was totally wrong on resolution and refresh rate!!

Wouldn't be surprised if it's like $5,000 for a small 1080p screen. But still glad to see it take off nonetheless.

After following that Engadget link, I have to assume whoever that was knows zero about monitors. They said the 4999 price is "reasonable for 4k" and other than the title, never mentioned that this is basically the only OLED monitor of its kind. Who do they send to these things?!

It's targeted towards professionals who need color quality. This != the home user.

For instance, the EIZO 31" CG318-4k is $5800.

120Hz is confirmed now, not sure about what connectors they are using though.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic...p-display-that-costs-4999-ces-2016/?p=6935395
TFT Central and other sources say it is using USB Type-C with Thunderbolt 3.

And nobody believed me when I called out the pricing on the first 4k OLED monitors :p although I was totally wrong on resolution and refresh rate!!
Well, at least this is 4k instead of just 1080p ;).

availability of a low persistence mode, variable refresh rate, and input lag are what we need to know next.

According to anandtech:

"The monitor features a mini DisplayPort (mDP) connector, an HDMI port as well as a USB type-C port, which could be used for video and data connectivity as well as for power delivery (it can be powered using a type-C cable, or deliver power to another device)."

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9923/dell-demonstrates-30inch-4k-oled-display

Finally somebody bothered to check the input panel ;p

Anandtech are one of the few around that do proper writeups nowadays. Thanks for sharing.

So based on this, to get the supposed 120 Hz, you must use USB-C/TB3 I assume?

So based on this, to get the supposed 120 Hz, you must use USB-C/TB3 I assume?

Really no way to know. AFAIK, Thunderbolt 3 shouldn't even support 4k@120hz single tiled because it only supports Displayport 1.2 not 1.3 as discussed here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9331/intel-announces-thunderbolt-3 "The end result is that Thunderbolt 3 will not be able to drive the kind of next-generation displays DisplayPort 1.3 is geared towards – things like 8K displays and 5K single-tile displays."

Based on everything I know currently, the only way this can support 120hz is by using tiling, or if the minidp connector will support Displayport 1.3. But there are no GPUs that support 1.3 right now, and it's unlikely there will be any by March... so ?????

But now we know that you will be able to connect this display to a proper desktop GPU at 60hz, at the very least, which is better than not at all.

Sancus, the picture right after the part you quoted says "Single-cable connection for two 4K 60Hz". So the bandwidth for one 4K@120Hz is there.

I wish manufacturers supported 4K@80Hz over DP1.2. Why stop at 60Hz...60's not enough.

...But now we know that you will be able to connect this display to a proper desktop GPU at 60hz, at the very least, which is better than not at all.

True, though the price becomes harder to justify. (not that I could pay anything more than 2k for a monitor myself...)

Sancus, the picture right after the part you quoted says "Single-cable connection for two 4K 60Hz". So the bandwidth for one 4K@120Hz is there.

Yes, the bandwidth is there, but the bandwidth is not the limiting factor... It needs to maintain two connections, much like the old MST(tiled) 4K monitors did.

The article states directly that it cannot do single tile 5K or 8K, which means no 4K@120hz either. DP1.2 can't do it no matter how much bandwidth you give it and DP1.2 is the underlying display protocol for Thunderbolt 3. So the only way to do 120hz is if the Thunderbolt 3 connection is treating this display as two displays, which would mean all the driver work-arounds that were necessary for MST will be necessary here.

Yes, the bandwidth is there, but the bandwidth is not the limiting factor... It needs to maintain two connections, much like the old MST(tiled) 4K monitors did.

The article states directly that it cannot do single tile 5K or 8K, which means no 4K@120hz either. DP1.2 can't do it no matter how much bandwidth you give it and DP1.2 is the underlying display protocol for Thunderbolt 3. So the only way to do 120hz is if the Thunderbolt 3 connection is treating this display as two displays, which would mean all the driver work-arounds that were necessary for MST will be necessary here.

Then how could the display be 120Hz if there is no way to drive it? That makes no sense.

One of the dell twitter responses said it does 120Hz, but maybe they were mistaken.

That said, I don't consider the fact that there are currently no gpus with displayport 1.3 a reason not to add a displayport 1.3 compatible connector to a monitor. Something has to come first, and whatever comes first to market, either the gpu or the display with the proper connector, won't have anything to connect to. It costs virtually nothing to have some forward looking connector type that can have more benefits as newer tech comes online.

Don't we all wish some of the early tv makers put on an hdmi 2.0 connector as soon as possible instead of slapping 1.4 there? And we know by mid year we are getting the next generation of gpus, presumably with diplayport 1.3, so even if a display came out 2-3 months sooner, we'd have the right gpu to connect it to to get 120Hz soon enough. It's like supermhl. I am pretty sure none of the upcoming gpus are going to have supermhl connectors, but I wish they would add it anyway. EVEN IF there were no immediate displays to connect it to. Why? So that the MOMENT a 120Hz 4k oled monitor + HDR support dropped, there would be a connector type with enough bandwidth to drive it all, and not have to drop down to 60Hz with HDR, or drop HDR to have enough headroom for 120Hz.

Even displayport 1.3 is too little.

Back