Dell UP3017Q - 4K 120HZ Oled 30"

Unless it's the first consumer-grade OLED available which doesn't vary its brightness based on the average picture level, those people are going to be in for a shock.
I wouldn't consider a 30" monitor for 5 grand consumer grade. I'd say it's more expensive than a lot of pros use. Hell, i don't think the old Sony Artisan monitors cost that much.

32ms is a fucking joke for an OLED panel. They should have less input latency than 1ms TN panels. There's no excuse. That's one of the benefits of OLED over LCD.

Input lag is virtually all up to the electronics they have driving the display. That's why you have some LCD's with a couple of ms and you have others with a couple hundred ms input lag. It's all up how how they want to process and or affect the signal.

32ms is a fucking joke for an OLED panel. They should have less input latency than 1ms TN panels. There's no excuse. That's one of the benefits of OLED over LCD.

Input lag is not a same thing as pixel response time. The response time of OLED is almost instant, faster than TN. 32ms lag is good for single player games other than fighting games which require almost no lag at all.

mid way through 3rd quarter and this Dell OLED monitor no where to be seen . I want to buy it now, because I have dell 17 % employee discount. let's see $5000 - $850 (17%) = $ 4150. Good deal ? no

mid way through 3rd quarter and this Dell OLED monitor no where to be seen . I want to buy it now, because I have dell 17 % employee discount. let's see $5000 - $850 (17%) = $ 4150. Good deal ? no
We're actually just starting the third quarter of the calendar year (July - September), so take it easy there. It was apparently paper launched this week. You could try calling Dell directly and asking about it.

I would never drop that much scratch on an unreviewed monitor showcasing new tech. Especially given the inevitable teething issues since you need USB-C to do 120Hz 4K (none of the other inputs on the panel do that refresh rate). Also no one knows what the color output is like in accuracy. Being an Adobe RGB panel all content for sRGB and so on will look wrong.

I called my rep the other day after seeing all the tabloid articles pop up. Happening soon apparently, rep said he'd give me a ring when he can place an order. I'm mainly interested to see what I can get for a price. Definitely not dropping $5k for a first-gen OLED monitor which I'm sure will be plagued with issues. It was delayed for a reason..

I would never drop that much scratch on an unreviewed monitor showcasing new tech. Especially given the inevitable teething issues since you need USB-C to do 120Hz 4K (none of the other inputs on the panel do that refresh rate). Also no one knows what the color output is like in accuracy. Being an Adobe RGB panel all content for sRGB and so on will look wrong.
Does it? I've had a wide gamut panel for almost 10 years and I've never found colors look bad, with the exception of certain photos uploaded to FB and that's on FB's insane use of compression. The same image looks fine most photo hosting sites.

That said, I totally agree on getting an unreviewed monitor. For that matter, I think you should hold off until the inevitable revision is reviewed.

Does it? I've had a wide gamut panel for almost 10 years and I've never found colors look bad, with the exception of certain photos uploaded to FB and that's on FB's insane use of compression. The same image looks fine most photo hosting sites.

That said, I totally agree on getting an unreviewed monitor. For that matter, I think you should hold off until the inevitable revision is reviewed.

ARGB panels make sRGB content look oversaturated. Not to the extent of ugliness necessarily but oversaturated. And Windows sucks at color management even worse than it sucks at desktop scaling.

For years the high-end high-res 2560x1600 were ARGB...and everyone griped about them not being sRGB. Now they're back to sRGB primarily, and people complain about not supporting wider-gamut. Also companies are looking to planned obsolescence to sell more monitors by deprecating sRGB mastered content in favor of even-wider-than-ARGB gamut "standards"

The USB-C requirement for 120Hz is more annoying than anything else ATM. Until you buy it and play with it you don't know how it'll create havok on your USB throughput nevermind driver support.

ARGB panels make sRGB content look oversaturated. Not to the extent of ugliness necessarily but oversaturated. And Windows sucks at color management even worse than it sucks at desktop scaling.

For years the high-end high-res 2560x1600 were ARGB...and everyone griped about them not being sRGB. Now they're back to sRGB primarily, and people complain about not supporting wider-gamut. Also companies are looking to planned obsolescence to sell more monitors by deprecating sRGB mastered content in favor of even-wider-than-ARGB gamut "standards"

The USB-C requirement for 120Hz is more annoying than anything else ATM. Until you buy it and play with it you don't know how it'll create havok on your USB throughput nevermind driver support.
All I know is that I find some of my pictures, which are edited using ProPhoto RGB then output to SRGB, but in some cases they look significantly better (to my eyes) in ARGB (or Pro). SRGB loses certain colors. The one I'm thinking of, I think lost certain shades of Blues.
I'd totally welcome the demise of SRGB, especially since both my monitors are already ARGB :D

As for this new monitor, I'm sure it looks great, but I wouldn't touch it until it's got a bunch of reviews and not less than 6 months of real world users.

It's a multiclient monitor that has well documented burn-in issues. Philips had a similar display that they pulled from sale, and that version had less sever burn-in issues compared to the Dell.
an LCD with burn in? I didn't know that was a thing.

Close to 9 months after press release, and this is nowhere to be seen?

Failed attempt?
Last thing I heard it was pushed back again to Q1 2017. There have also been murmurs that the target market for this display isn't interested in it, so Dell may have quietly pulled the plug before putting it into mass production.

Throw a G-Sync or FreeSync module on it, and they'll probably recoup all fo their losses from that segment.

Throw a G-Sync or FreeSync module on it, and they'll probably recoup all fo their losses from that segment.
exactly

Anyways this is sad it isn't released yet. I am sure there are plenty of deep pockets gamers would buy it if it supported ULMB and g sync

sad this thread i found goolging is the newest info i could find. been searching several times a month on updates :/

The problem I have with these new 4K smallish screens is that 4K scaling at 30" might not be great. I'm running a 4K 40" and it can be a squint-fest sometimes.

But DAMN that OLED and refresh rate are amazing ... that price ... not so much!

exactly

Anyways this is sad it isn't released yet. I am sure there are plenty of deep pockets gamers would buy it if it supported ULMB and g sync

sad this thread i found goolging is the newest info i could find. been searching several times a month on updates :/

Its dead man. The dream is dead.

It can't support ULMB, because OLED displays are already pretty dark compared to LCD.

So inserting a black frame to improve motion clarity would lower the brightness too much for most people.

It can't support ULMB, because OLED displays are already pretty dark compared to LCD.

So inserting a black frame to improve motion clarity would lower the brightness too much for most people.
OLEDs could potentially support a blur reduction mode which scans the display line-by-line like a CRT instead of strobing it.
OLED displays can get bright when they are only illuminating a small number of pixels, but dim a lot when they have to illuminate many pixels.
The 2016 OLED TVs from LG have a peak brightness of almost 800 nits when 10% of the display is illuminated, but this drops to 150 nits when the entire display is white.

If you're scanning the image, you could restrict the display to only illuminating 10% of the pixels at any one time.
This would let you drive the panel at its full 800 nits brightness in a blur reduction mode.

The effective brightness would still end up a fraction of this 800 nits value, but if you were to drive the panel this way you could probably implement an effective blur reduction mode while still having a usable brightness.

OLEDs could potentially support a blur reduction mode which scans the display line-by-line like a CRT instead of strobing it.
OLED displays can get bright when they are only illuminating a small number of pixels, but dim a lot when they have to illuminate many pixels.
The 2016 OLED TVs from LG have a peak brightness of almost 800 nits when 10% of the display is illuminated, but this drops to 150 nits when the entire display is white.

If you're scanning the image, you could restrict the display to only illuminating 10% of the pixels at any one time.
This would let you drive the panel at its full 800 nits brightness in a blur reduction mode.

The effective brightness would still end up a fraction of this 800 nits value, but if you were to drive the panel this way you could probably implement an effective blur reduction mode while still having a usable brightness.
150 nit is okay for gaming in the dark. My ULMB IPS is 100 nit at 100% strobe. It works okay in dark room. So 150 would be very nice vs 100 I currently have.

Eventually OLED will reach 240hz which black screens would work just fine instead of a strobe or scan.

inserting black frame is different than ULMB strobing. black frame is ideal with 0 loss of brightness but requires higher refresh rates like 240 hz

EDIT: OLED wouldnt use stroke anyways it would be a flicker design since there is no back light to strobe. It just turns them on and off faster. Scanning is the most pratical and best method for OLED until higher refresh rates happen.

150 nit is okay for gaming in the dark. My ULMB IPS is 100 nit at 100% strobe. It works okay in dark room. So 150 would be very nice vs 100 I currently have.
That is 150 nits sample-and-hold. To strobe that for 10% persistence (1.6ms at 60Hz) would drop the brightness to 15 nits.
That's why you need to be able to drive the display at a very high brightness for a low-persistence mode.

800 nits with 10% persistence would give you an effective brightness of 80 nits - which is still below the 100 nits spec for SDR.
HDR calls for >1000 nits brightness. We're not going to get low-persistence HDR any time soon - but the push for higher brightness HDR displays at least helps improve low-persistence modes for SDR content.

inserting black frame is different than ULMB strobing. black frame is ideal with 0 loss of brightness but requires higher refresh rates like 240 hz
Black frame insertion is worse than strobing because it relies on the display's response times instead of simply switching a backlight off.
BFI is typically equivalent to 50% persistence strobing.
So a 60 FPS source on a 120Hz display with BFI enabled will halve your brightness.
A 60 FPS source on a 240Hz display would drop your brightness by 25/50/75% depending on how much you want to improve motion.

Doesn't even have HDR and it cost more than a 65" OLED. PC monitors are simply overpriced for what you get.

Doesn't even have HDR and it cost more than a 65" OLED. PC monitors are simply overpriced for what you get.

Doesn't even exist as its Super Vaporware never to see the light of day..... unfortunately....but I would have been stupid enough to pay 5 grand for it if they had proper 120hz dp1.3/1.4 support.

After playing on my LG OLED, every other display tech feels like Already Been Chewed Gum. A good VA panel like the FG2421 gets close to OLED, but even at that....VA is like poormans OLED :-/

Last edited:

TVs lack proper PC support
TVs have terrible input lag
TVs have horrible screen door effect due to size
they lack other features...too lazy to really compare but there are quite a few.
No word on if this will feature built on LUT but it better for that price
-Built in LUT is something all monitors should have because GPU LUT suck.
https://hardforum.com/threads/built-in-lut-explanation.1422765/
Dell also offers better warranties too

Last edited:
they lack other features...too lazy to really compare but there are quite a few.

Screen door on a 40" 4k screen?

There's no such thing as a FreeSync module. FreeSync is part of the DisplayPort standard and requires no proprietary hardware --- hence why it's cheaper (and included on shit tier off-brand Korean B-list stuff).

That's only 110 PPI which is very low resolution these days.
Phone displays are usually >400 PPI now, and tablet/notebook displays are usually in the 200-300 PPI range.
A 4K monitor should only be 23" in size. We really need 8K for 40" and larger monitors.

I wouldn't consider a 30" monitor for 5 grand consumer grade. I'd say it's more expensive than a lot of pros use. Hell, i don't think the old Sony Artisan monitors cost that much.
For 5 K I would choose Eizio over this.

That's only 110 PPI which is very low resolution these days.
Phone displays are usually >400 PPI now, and tablet/notebook displays are usually in the 200-300 PPI range.
A 4K monitor should only be 23" in size. We really need 8K for 40" and larger monitors.

I don't have a 40" 4k monitor, but I doubt I'd see a screen door effect on one. I've got a 27" 5k monitor at 217 PPI, and I'd need a magnifying glass to see a pixel. I would assume a 40" monitor would be a bit further away than the 23" between my eyes and the monitor.

Input lag is okay on the 2016 LG OLED TVs outside of HDR mode, around 34ms. I actually wouldn't expect much better from this Dell. They often do not care about input lag on pro level monitors like this.

Dell UP3214Q (one of the first 4K monitors, almost cost as much as this at release) is nearly 30ms: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_up3214q.htm

So wait, Does this monitor actually exist? I've heard people saying its vaporware...

OLED pixel pitch is substantially smaller than other tech, which is why screen door exists. 4K 55 in is noticeable and it is views as a TV not a monitor. you view this 2-3 feet away. not 2-3 yards

OLED pixel pitch is substantially smaller than other tech, which is why screen door exists. 4K 55 in is noticeable and it is views as a TV not a monitor. you view this 2-3 feet away. not 2-3 yards

Smaller pitch would make screen door less obvious. Pitch is just center to center distance.

Not all OLED is the same, but LG WOLED TV in particular seems to have a lower pixel fill factor(more black space around pixels) which will make SDE slightly more evident. Shouldn't be a problem on 4K TV at any sane viewing distance.

Also sitting 2 feet away from a 55" is insane. I sit a little further away that with my 24" monitor.

Smaller pitch would make screen door less obvious. Pitch is just center to center distance.

Not all OLED is the same, but LG WOLED TV in particular seems to have a lower pixel fill factor(more black space around pixels) which will make SDE slightly more evident. Shouldn't be a problem on 4K TV at any sane viewing distance.

Also sitting 2 feet away from a 55" is insane. I sit a little further away that with my 24" monitor.
Ok used wrong term. Pixel size on oled is ussually substantially smaller. And greatest a much larger gap between pixels andcreates a bad screeb door effect. Thats why 1080p oled at 55 inxhes is horribke and 4k is tolerable but that is from 3-4 yards not 2-3 feet. That is why unless they make bigger pixels larger screens as monitors ill be crap up close which isnwhy oled tvs also are bad for monitora....minus mos5 lack important features like dp, 120hz, 4:4:4 chroma and input lag for pc mode. 1 year ago not one oled tv worked right for a pc....so maybe it changed.

Back