Dell Unveils 55- and 86-Inch 4K Interactive Touch Monitors, Priced From "Below $5,000"

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
While these are meant for the education and business markets, there is nothing stopping those of you with fatter wallets who want some of the biggest touchscreen experiences available. I have tried the Surface Hub (a comparable device) at the Microsoft Store, and while manipulating a giant screen with your finger is extremely entertaining, I would rather sacrifice touch functionality and save some cash by getting a similarly sized television. Dell’s offerings here are a lot cheaper than Microsoft’s solution, though: the 55” will be available for under $5K, while the 86” will fall under $11K. Comparatively, the Surface Hub starts at $8,999 for the 55” version, and $21,999 for the 84” model.

Dell has announced two large touchscreen displays for the education and business markets. The giant monitors invite obvious comparisons with Microsoft's Surface Hub devices, but unlike those machines, Dell's new Interactive Touch Monitors require a separate PC to be connected to them. Dell's touchscreens will be offered in 55- and 86-inch configurations, similar in size to the Surface Hub options (55- and 84-inches). But both Dell models will come with 4K (3840x2160px) resolution, whereas Microsoft's 55-inch Hub only has a Full HD (1920x1080px) display. Dell previously offered a 70-inch Interactive Touch Monitor with Full HD resolution. The Dell monitors support up to 20 simultaneous touch-points, along with 'InGlass' touch technology which the company says "allows for a natural writing experience" using the two passive styluses that are included. Anti-glare and anti-smudge coating on the glass is also part of the package.

Last edited:
I was wondering how long it would take for touch screen to drop in price. The cost of large touch screen monitors is nothing short of...obscene compared to their Andoid/iOS counterparts.

I wanted to set something up for an automation club that was completely mouse-less and screen click driven. It was way too costly even for a 15".

Just what I need, greasy fingerprints all over the monitors in the conference rooms.

I was wondering how long it would take for touch screen to drop in price. The cost of large touch screen monitors is nothing short of...obscene compared to their Andoid/iOS counterparts.

I wanted to set something up for an automation club that was completely mouse-less and screen click driven. It was way too costly even for a 15".
logic would dictate that 15 inch/phone screens ate cheaper because of less materials used and less working hours+ low R&D costs, but let's not get in the way of logic because everything must be cheap and corporations are greedy for making a profit.

logic would dictate that 15 inch/phone screens ate cheaper because of less materials used and less working hours+ low R&D costs, but let's not get in the way of logic because everything must be cheap and corporations are greedy for making a profit.

Captive touch screen has been mature for quite a while now. It's a glass/plastic cover-plate which has wires up the vertical and across the horizontal. Each of these wires are charged with a tiny micro charge. When your finger touches the wire it discharges it causing a voltage drop. The manufacturing cost is cheap. A 10" 4:3 screen is 48 sq inches. A 19" 4:3 screen is 173 sq inches. A ratio of 1:3.6 in area. I can OEM a 10" capacitive touch screen overlay for $15 including I2C interface chip. I2C to USB is $5 chip. That means the price addition for a 19" touch screen will be about $54. Show me a decent monitor that is within $100 of it's non capacitive touch screen counterpart spec wise, and I'll be quiet. The pricing ratio balloons even further with larger screens.

Manufacturers have a right to set any price they want. I'm not arguing that. But it seems there is a much bigger profit margin on computer touch screens. I would say they are targeting businesses with POS systems and want to keep that profit margin healthy. Unfortunately that leaves consumers like us with windows 8/10 touchscreen interfaces out in the cold.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back