Dell UltraSharp U3014 $899 - today only :(

A01 and A02 are exactly the same according to the Dell rep. The difference is supposedly only a change in a default setting (smart video enhance is off by default in A02, while A01 it is defaulted to on). So it being less noticeable in the A02 is more likely something unknown that changed at the factory end.

It's good to hear that dell will fix the problem and issue a new monitor in exchange. It's weird I missed that post when I went through that thread the first time.

OK I went ahead and called support to send me one of the refurbished A03 models. I was pretty darn insistent and probably overly repeating myself, but what came was a new A02 and it had WORSE lines on it than my current one. My current one I could live but I am a bit OCD when it comes to technology especially monitors and TVs. The new one they sent me was very bad. In comparison, even with the brightness lowered, this newer one scan line like lines can be seen in pretty much everything, even the colors of the windows explorer title bar. It's hard to believe that Dell hasn't actually stopped shipping these A02 or lower models out. Also of note, the colors on the one they sent me using the same preset profiles seemed off. White was yellowish in tint and it definitely didn't look like it was calibrated. There was also one off pixel same as the original one, but in a way worse spot (about 4" left and down of center) where my eye seems to always go towards.

After having experienced another U3014 I don't know if I want another monitor. I want the fix, but I want the fix on this monitor I am using because I know the colors look right. It would suck to get a fixed A03 that had that yellowish tint in whites and honestly might be more distracting than the lines that I can see for the most part only when really close to the monitor or under certain color gradients in the lower left quadrant of the screen. On the U3014 there is a preset called Paper that has a very prominent yellowish color where things should be white, the new one they sent me is like lighter variations of that yellowish color in many of the other presets I tried.

FYI new stock of A03 models won't be shipping from Dell till October sometime so if you are planning on getting one wait till then. Any stores that sells them only have the old A02 or lower and will all exhibit the problem at varying degrees. At the moment the only way to get a A03 is from an exchange of the monitor for a refurbished one direct from Dell.

I feel Dell has the worst service known on this. You get someone in India who does not speak English and does not understand what you are asking. They have no control over the availabillit. Its a crap shoot

Back