Dell UltraSharp U2913WM 29-inch Ultra Wide Monitor

I've been eying this screen for a while but i have a few issues to sort out before i invest. I'm looking for a replacement monitor that would give me an eyefinity experience in place of my dual 1080p screens for productivity and games that I share among my many computers via display switches. My main issue is that i lack the right outputs as I only have HDMI and VGA options and i can not add in a graphics card due to case and power limitations.

the PC in question is equipped with a AMD A10-5800k so granted that i can not game at native resolution with its on board graphics I will only play window mode at a portion of the screen anyway while keeping other windows open for stats and notifications etc and games that i run are indie titles so they shouldn't be graphically demanding.

Issue is how to make it all happen, i notice that the screen support picture by picture mode that would allow 2 simultaneous inputs from 2 individual sources (say 2 computers) and display both of them side by side at half horizontal resolution each. That got me thinking that maybe I could use HDMI and VGA simultaneously plugged into the screen and enable picture by picture mode so each display cable is delivering 1280x1080 and have it as an extended desktop under windows or set as an eyefinity group (if the GPU allows) so it acts as 2 individual screens extended under windows then patched together side by side by the monitor to deliver its full 2560x1080 goodness

What you are doing should work, might just want to ask dell, but its an awfully expensive way to do it. 2 cheap IPS monitors would be $400 or so. The other problem is if you game wouldnt it be better to have the game in the middle of the monitor.

So in the end is $200+ worth the price to remove the bezel between 2 monitors for you?

What you are doing should work, might just want to ask dell, but its an awfully expensive way to do it. 2 cheap IPS monitors would be $400 or so. The other problem is if you game wouldnt it be better to have the game in the middle of the monitor.

So in the end is $200+ worth the price to remove the bezel between 2 monitors for you?

not much of a money thing, i want to rid the 2 screens for a single screen,i prefer games in a side portion of the screen (its all about sitting positions) and have stats, chats and notifications on the side.

i;d just want proof that this works as dell would say that you cant and the manual says that you should not use 2 outputs form the same PC at the same time assuming they expect you to have both cables powering full resolution each rather then half screen.

tftcentral's review of the U2913WM is now up.

Overall, it's pretty positive. They confirm the monitor is PWM-free, and they found no cross-hatching or buzzing. The uniformity compensation worked well on their unit, and the factory calibration was pretty good.

I've been thinking about getting this monitor - to my knowledge, it should scale any direct x game correctly. I always thought one of the key benefits of DX9 and higher was scalable resolutions.

I hope Dell will maintain contrast levels of 1100:1 and above on any new IPS monitors they might release this year. The last monitors from them exceeding 1000:1 were the U2311H and S2220T if I recall correctly, released some 2 1/2 years ago.

Hi, I've owned this monitor for about 2 weeks now. Aesthetically it's beautiful and it works great.

However, one issue is with the Dell Display Manager, I believe that's the root issue. It will switch between Standard mode and Multimedia mode, automatically while in Auto Mode. I've ultimately had to change everything to Manual Mode and Standard.

The problem is in Multimedia mode, everything has a blue tint to it, like as if you were looking at the screen through blue sunglasses. It's really pronounced in videos like on YouTube, cause then a blue rectangle will overlay where the YouTube video is playing, and sometimes even stay there as a graphical remnant before disappearing. Anyone owners encounter that issue or a solution beyond just Manually leaving it in Standard mode? I've updated all my drivers but I'm still pretty sure it's a driver issue.

$549 on sale direct from dell with FS and 3 year warranty. Tempting

Is there a review out there that measures the input lag with the game mode? I'm kinda curious. I've got a U2311H I've been looking to upgrade, and if this monitor performs similarly, or even better, I'm all over it.

Both Svethardware and TFTcentral have measured input lag in normal and game modes

Ah, I missed that. Thanks!

Hopefully the input lag reduction can be used in other picture modes. The TFTCentral review mentioned dynamic contrast being on for the Game setting and I hate that crap.

can someone please get 3 so i can see what it looks like in eyefinity portrait? :-P

I should have jumped on this when Dell had it for $550. I hope they put it on sale again soon.

can someone please get 3 so i can see what it looks like in eyefinity portrait? :-P

not mine but here:
mqdefault.jpg

I received my U2913WM yesterday and I already love it. I have had a 120hz monitor of one type or another for several years now since I do quite a bit of gaming. I was a bit worried how the 2913 would handle this, but as soon as I hooked it up, and started a game of Planetside 2, I loved it immediately. Sure, it's not quite as smooth as a 120hz monitor but the immersion and image quality are very nice. Black levels are great, colors are bright and input lag is almost a non-issue, especially when using Game mode.

I love how it fills my full range of vision. It is looks great and after playing for an hour or so, I don't miss 120hz at all. I really don't think I can go back to a traditional monitor anymore, I love the size of the 2913. The only thing I would consider upgrading to now is a 120hz version of this monitor.

Hi, I've owned this monitor for about 2 weeks now. Aesthetically it's beautiful and it works great.

However, one issue is with the Dell Display Manager, I believe that's the root issue. It will switch between Standard mode and Multimedia mode, automatically while in Auto Mode. I've ultimately had to change everything to Manual Mode and Standard.

The problem is in Multimedia mode, everything has a blue tint to it, like as if you were looking at the screen through blue sunglasses. It's really pronounced in videos like on YouTube, cause then a blue rectangle will overlay where the YouTube video is playing, and sometimes even stay there as a graphical remnant before disappearing. Anyone owners encounter that issue or a solution beyond just Manually leaving it in Standard mode? I've updated all my drivers but I'm still pretty sure it's a driver issue.

Yes, this happens even when gaming. The only apparent fix is to change all settings to standard or manual mode through Dell Display Manager.

Really thinking about this monitor. Newegg has it for 495 with promo code HPNMQSV93 so its quite tempting.

better a late update than never: a tftcentral review and a hardware.info review on the U2913WM for the record. hopefully one day soon here there'll be a U3415WM (with the 'm' designate for led backlighting) to add to the 21:9 options as well... ;)

Last edited:
Was waiting for the 34" version of this but after thinking about it (in particular, the expected price of the 34" versions) I bit on a good deal, coming in just north of $450. Very pleased with it, can have a bunch of word docs and pdfs open side by side, which has made life at work far better/easier.

Was waiting for the 34" version of this but after thinking about it (in particular, the expected price of the 34" versions) I bit on a good deal, coming in just north of $450. Very pleased with it, can have a bunch of word docs and pdfs open side by side, which has made life at work far better/easier.

ditto - outstanding monitor overall, and great 'bang for the buck' when bought during such deals/promotions!~ :D

Hate to necro this thread, but I was browsing craigslist, and noticed that one of the people on the first few pages of this thread seems to be selling this monitor on craigslist here in Boston (the exact same picture too): http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/sys/4730736428.html

I'm feeling a bit weird as I see that he bought it with Australian money in his post, but yet here it is...in Boston (perhaps he moved)?

Back