Dell Ultrasharp IPS monitor sale

Just pulled the trigger on the U2711. No coupon code, just a flat 200 bucks off + free shipping.

I am thinking hard about buying two of the 23 inchers. Is the response time going to work for gaming? I am coming from a 5ms Samsung TN panel, so I don't know how much of a difference it will make.

The U2311h got pretty good marks for gaming but there are some QC issues which means you may need to send it back a few times to get a panel you are truly satisfied with.

Got my fingers crossed hoping that you're lucky! :D

Jumped on the U2311H

First time buying a Dell Ultrasharp monitor, i hope it's as good as it's claimed to be

How is their policy with dead pixels or any sort of problems? Does it need to be more than a certain number for it to be considered defective?

Dell's come with the "perfect panel" guarentee, you can pretty much ask for an advance exchange for any pixel defects or excessive tinting / color problems. You can pretty much keep sending them back until you get a panel you like...

I went ahead and jumped on this since my old ultrasharp died about a week ago (a 10 year old 15" 4:3). Went with the U2211H since I doubt I'll have room for the 23", let alone two of them for later. <3 Dell monitors.

Now to get a DisplayPort cable...

I just ordered one. I lost a monitor in the Great Flood of 2010. Three feet of sewage in the basement. I have been waiting for this sale. Free 3-5 day shipping too.

I'm eying some of these. I'd like to get a set of three to put into portrait. Bleh, I'm stuck with these VX2233 TN displays until I sell them. :( Anyone know if 150 each is asking too much? The upgrade to these Dell Ultrasharps seems worth it. :) The powered USB ports are just icing on the cake with all the other features. (THEY ROTATE!)

Ooh... I want to get two more of the u2311h's, but it's kinda risky to spend a lot of money right now because I might lose my job soon... :|

I just got one.

woot.

my e207wfp has lasted 6 years so far. Let's hope the u2311h will do the same.

Last edited:
Ooh... I want to get two more of the u2311h's, but it's kinda risky to spend a lot of money right now because I might lose my job soon... :|

Yeah. :( My hours just got cut some I'm looking for other ways to get this money. You have until October 5th, don't forget. I really hope I manage to sell these Viewsonic VX2233's I have. I can't post in the trade section yet but if anyone wants to buy these I'll sell the whole set (including a passive DP>DVI) for 450. I still have the boxes and everything.

Do you guys think it would be worth about 200 dollars to switch out my TNs for three of these? I'm looking at the 21.5 inch display. 3x1 portrait sounds AMAZING.

Haha, yeahhhh. Just got three. I couldn't help myself. :( U2211H's are coming soon. Can't wait. :)

its ends 10/05, someone else mentioned and it shows in your cart.

I am giving my main monitor to my gf to replace hers, that gives me a good reason to upgrade.

For a single monitor setup, can anyone not recommend the u2311h?

Man, if this coupon counted towards the 3011 also I'd be tempted.

Thanks for the update. I'm ordering two today and I'll pick-up a 3rd sometime later in the year. I figure at least the two will allow me some more productivity when I work at home.

Has anybody had any luck getting the current $30 discount combined with the 25% discount?

I'm sure they will have these on sale again for probably the same price if not a little cheaper.
IIRC, they had these on sale earlier this year. The holidays are coming ;)

If my experience with the U2311H is good, I'll be buying another on their next sale :)

I'm sure they will have these on sale again for probably the same price if not a little cheaper.
IIRC, they had these on sale earlier this year. The holidays are coming ;)

If my experience with the U2311H is good, I'll be buying another on their next sale :)
Good point, hoping to see some nice deals on all U series =]

Dell's come with the "perfect panel" guarentee, you can pretty much ask for an advance exchange for any pixel defects or excessive tinting / color problems. You can pretty much keep sending them back until you get a panel you like...

yeah, good luck with that. I once made the mistake of trying to return a computer to Dell. It took me 11 days and 23 hours of being on hold and being transfered 14 times before they finally gave me an RMA, but then only after I had to also tell them my whole life story, and why I was returning such a fine computer. I almost put a 9 mm in my mouth.

I will never ever buy anything from Dell. I'd rather be sent to Syria to be tortured.

yeah, good luck with that. I once made the mistake of trying to return a computer to Dell. It took me 11 days and 23 hours of being on hold and being transfered 14 times before they finally gave me an RMA, but then only after I had to also tell them my whole life story, and why I was returning such a fine computer. I almost put a 9 mm in my mouth.

I will never ever buy anything from Dell. I'd rather be sent to Syria to be tortured.

Sorry, but you're wrong about the Ultrasharp return policy. They will have your replacement monitor sent to you next day air. Hyperbole is awesome though, so I will give you points there.

:eek: ^^^ that's rough. I'd just take the 9 mm in the mouth I guess...

Seriously, this is why people should keep their opinions to themselves if they are uninformed or unaware of a particular topic. I would never buy a damn Dell PC, but that has nothing to do with their monitors. Why would you try to mislead people? With your logic, since my LG phone sucks, I better run off to tell people to stay away from LG TV's, panels, appliances, and monitors.

If you buy an Ultrasharp and have issues with it, they overnight you a new one and cover shipping both ways. There's no debating this - it's a fact.

Seriously, this is why people should keep their opinions to themselves if they are uninformed or unaware of a particular topic. I would never buy a damn Dell PC, but that has nothing to do with their monitors. Why would you try to mislead people? With your logic, since my LG phone sucks, I better run off to tell people to stay away from LG TV's, panels, appliances, and monitors.

If you buy an Ultrasharp and have issues with it, they overnight you a new one and cover shipping both ways. There's no debating this - it's a fact.

So let me get this straight....Dell has the same 'satisfaction guarrantee' with their monitors as they do with thier computers, but somehow the entire process of returning a product becomes magically different, with different procedures, different response times, different customer service agents, no long waits on hold, no numerous transfering of calls, and no Dell hell?

I want to believe you, but excuse me for being skeptical.

Sorry, but you're wrong about the Ultrasharp return policy. They will have your replacement monitor sent to you next day air. Hyperbole is awesome though, so I will give you points there.

No hyperbole. My experience was exactly as I described it.

Just got mine in today at work. There was a hole in the box made by something but luckily it didn't touch the monitor, it was into an empty gap in the Styrofoam packing.

There's no dead pixels, but I do notice a yellowish tint when viewing on angles (when it's completely black). There is also a bit of back light bleeding on the top right corner of the monitor but again, it's noticeable when completely black.

The first pic is taken close up about 1.5 feet away with 17mm wide angle lens.
The second pic is taken about 2-3 feet further away with 35mm focal length.

Should I be alarmed for these small issues? Are these small issues? I was never really too detailed with monitors to begin with.

img9072s.jpg

img9074i.jpg

The yellowish tint on angles if probably the off angle glow. Is it what you are describing in the first picture in the corners? That really isn't a manufacturing issue. Although I can't say mine glows that much in the corners due to the off angle, but that could be camera/lighting conditions. It goes away when viewed head on right?

The backlight bleed isn't normal though. But does it only show up on full brightness? If it doesn't show on the brightness you normally use it at then I guess you could let it go. You do seem to also have a little very very very minor bleed in the top left as well judging from the 2nd picture, but that one is just nitpicking lol...

Try looking for uniformity on a gray and white screen. If there is a glaring issue you could always exchange it citing the backlight bleed.

The satisfaction policy varies between their PC's and their Monitors in some places. The Ultrasharp monitors have a very different policy than most of their other warranties. I've had QC issues with a of monitor my dad had and it was just a matter of picking of the phone. The following day my dad had a new monitor sitting on the doorstep for him.

It's not speaking much to product quality, but there are stories floating on [H] of people ordering a bunch of U2311's and swapping them out 3 or 4 or 5 times until they have panels they like. The fact that people at [H] are willing to go through such an exchange period for a monitor is something I found interesting.

Dragun what rev do you have? I'd definitely send it back... Mine has no backlight bleeding at all and it only suffers from minor tinting around the bottom right corner. In your last pic the bleed is really bad in the top right and I'm sure they'd let you send it back because of that bleed.

I think the yellowish tint in the first pic in the corners might actually be from the camera lens. It's a 17mm-50mm wide angle lens and it does get distorted a tiny bit and there is some vignetting so it's just probably that.

Yeah it does go away and i tried it on my other Asus VH236h and it does the same thing.

I adjusted the brightness to 100 and contrast to 100 and the backlight bleeding actually looks different now. it's in the same area but it's smaller now. at 0 brightness and 100 contrast, it's very minimal

Dragun what rev do you have? I'd definitely send it back... Mine has no backlight bleeding at all and it only suffers from minor tinting around the bottom right corner. In your last pic the bleed is really bad in the top right and I'm sure they'd let you send it back because of that bleed.

I have rev A00

the yellow tinting on the corners disappear when i look directly at them so i don't think that is an issue anymore.
The backlight bleeding on the top right has improved i think...

img9545v.jpg

Last edited:
So let me get this straight....Dell has the same 'satisfaction guarrantee' with their monitors as they do with thier computers, but somehow the entire process of returning a product becomes magically different, with different procedures, different response times, different customer service agents, no long waits on hold, no numerous transfering of calls, and no Dell hell?

I want to believe you, but excuse me for being skeptical.

Yes, the Ultrasharp return policy is magically different. You may have been burned before, may be skeptical, but still misinformed.

I have rev A00

the yellow tinting on the corners disappear when i look directly at them so i don't think that is an issue anymore.
The backlight bleeding on the top right has improved i think...

img9545v.jpg

That upper right bleed looks like maybe the bezel is pushing down on the panel. Try carefully I guess "massaging" the bezel plastic or putting a little pressure on the upper right of the panel. Sometimes it can help.

I received my 3 U2311H today, ordered on Sep 14, thanks to whom gave the info about the sale.
Opened box and check each of them, all are revision A01 made of Aug 2010, and all of them are near perfect, no dead pixel minimum tint and no light bleeding except one of them bleed at top right, like LeninGHOLA said it is most likely cause by the bezel pushing the frame of the LCD panel, I push the bezel and bleeding light changes, to a point it goes away, I read the Chinese review somewhere they said the LG panel's metal frame made for Dell (C1) was very thin, maybe that is why.
I'm going to keep all of them, I'm no pro come to LCD but after test them out that all I can say is U2311H is a keeper :)

Yep, same deal for me :D

Odd, I seem to have a headache with this new monitor...my eyes even hurt alittle. We'll see as the week goes by...

Back