Dell UltraSharp 32" 4K Monitor (UP3214Q)

...it should probably be noted that the price listed on the second link is about $5400 USD. Ow. OTOH, that warranty...

Given that this is the Sharp panel from the Asus PQ321 and the Sharp PN-K321, with the addition of wide gamut support, $5000+ sounds about right.

$5400, yet the monitor still comes in cheap plastic.

Going to be a while before the average gamer can afford it. Years I'm thinking. Luckily we have 1440 displays now.

Is there pricing for the U2414H? I wonder if their pictures are fake advertisements like other "thin bezel" monitors.

Maybe by the 12th revision, when they have finally resolved all the issues, the price will come down to $4800.

I feel like
sharpscreen2.jpg.png
Is a little misleading for the bezel size...

After watching that LG video it's pretty obvious what happened. What's displayed on the screen for all product images is always photoshopped in and I don't think the art department knew that there was additional bezel under the glass - so they photoshopped images to take up the whole GLASS part of the panel.

The marketing department was crafty in that they define the bezel as the amount of plastic outside of the glassed in area, not just the amount of border outside of the usable pixels.

And then when everyone realized what was happening they decided to go for it anyway because they're dicks.

Now for this monitor - I'm not sure. If that image is real, then okay fine. But I'll wait until I see some hands on review.

Looking at the specs, it seems to have a mini-DP port in addition to the standard. Is the mDP port DP 1.2?

Getting closer to a 36" 21:9 monitor... :)

If you don't mind me asking, how? It's still only 16:9. It's also only 32"

You be closer with a 39" 4K, running 3840x1620 (21:9) and it would give you a 36.95" picture. That ASUS 39" (Not out) or Seiki 39" (Actually Released) could be up your alley.

$5400 price tag makes me smile broadly at the two Viewsonic VP2770 LCDs connected to my PC and the Dell 3008WFP now being run by my MacBook Pro all sitting on my desk.

Curious to see how it stacks up compared to the Asus. Though wide gamut isn't great if you don't need it.

Well...I just had an interesting chat with Kristine M, at Dell, who states they no longer make this monitor. Lol.

15:31:07 notarat Initial Question/Comment: .
15:31:17 System You are now being connected to an agent. Thank you for using Dell Chat
15:31:19 System Connected with Kristine M
15:31:21 Kristine M Welcome to Dell Electronics and Accessories Chat! My name is Kristine. I will be your Dell.com Sales Chat Expert. I can be reached at [email protected] or via phone at 1-800-289-3355 Voicemail ext. 2160085. How can I help you today?
15:32:34 notarat Is dell going to run any specials on the MONITOR UP3214Q for this black Friday? I've used nothing but Dell monitors for about a decade (2) 2007FWP, (3) U2410s, (2) U3011s and I'm interested in the MONITOR UP3214Q
15:34:38 Kristine M I'll be glad to assist you on that.
15:36:13 Kristine M Unfortunately, we still do not have any updates on the available monitors included on our Black Friday sale.
15:37:39 notarat So are there any discounts available for the UP3214Q monitor at all? Just wondering because I like the higher resolution but your competitors are selling the same 4k2k panel on Amazon for cheaper
15:37:58 Kristine M You may check our site momentarily for updates for the black Friday sale
15:38:18 Kristine M Checking on it.
15:41:03 Kristine M While I am checking, how is your DELL computer running so far? Do you encounter problems while using it?
15:42:17 notarat I custom build my own high-performance liquid-cooled computers. I never have problems with them. I use dell monitors exclusively, though. That's why I am interested in the new UP3214Q.
15:43:09 Kristine M I see.
15:44:59 Kristine M Upon checking, we no longer have UP3214Q monitor.
15:45:38 notarat It's the newest monitor your company makes. Are you saying you stopped making it?
15:46:21 notarat It's the 32" 3840x2160 resolution monitor (sometimes referred to as 4k2k)
15:46:30 Kristine M Yes.
15:47:10 notarat So you're not just out of stock currently, your company stopped making it for sale? hmm...
15:47:49 Kristine M Unfortunately, yes;(
15:48:47 notarat That is unfortunate. I was under the impression that your company has already sold a large number of them, and several of my friends have already ordered them.
15:48:49 Kristine M Do you have a specific screen size?
15:49:26 notarat It's 32" It uses 3840x2160 resolution. That's the only monitor I am interested in.

I guess they aren't interested in making a sale today so I will look elsewhere...

Well...I just had an interesting chat with Kristine M, at Dell, who states they no longer make this monitor. Lol.

15:31:07 notarat Initial Question/Comment: .
15:31:17 System You are now being connected to an agent. Thank you for using Dell Chat
15:31:19 System Connected with Kristine M
15:31:21 Kristine M Welcome to Dell Electronics and Accessories Chat! My name is Kristine. I will be your Dell.com Sales Chat Expert. I can be reached at [email protected] or via phone at 1-800-289-3355 Voicemail ext. 2160085. How can I help you today?
15:32:34 notarat Is dell going to run any specials on the MONITOR UP3214Q for this black Friday? I've used nothing but Dell monitors for about a decade (2) 2007FWP, (3) U2410s, (2) U3011s and I'm interested in the MONITOR UP3214Q
15:34:38 Kristine M I'll be glad to assist you on that.
15:36:13 Kristine M Unfortunately, we still do not have any updates on the available monitors included on our Black Friday sale.
15:37:39 notarat So are there any discounts available for the UP3214Q monitor at all? Just wondering because I like the higher resolution but your competitors are selling the same 4k2k panel on Amazon for cheaper
15:37:58 Kristine M You may check our site momentarily for updates for the black Friday sale
15:38:18 Kristine M Checking on it.
15:41:03 Kristine M While I am checking, how is your DELL computer running so far? Do you encounter problems while using it?
15:42:17 notarat I custom build my own high-performance liquid-cooled computers. I never have problems with them. I use dell monitors exclusively, though. That's why I am interested in the new UP3214Q.
15:43:09 Kristine M I see.
15:44:59 Kristine M Upon checking, we no longer have UP3214Q monitor.
15:45:38 notarat It's the newest monitor your company makes. Are you saying you stopped making it?
15:46:21 notarat It's the 32" 3840x2160 resolution monitor (sometimes referred to as 4k2k)
15:46:30 Kristine M Yes.
15:47:10 notarat So you're not just out of stock currently, your company stopped making it for sale? hmm...
15:47:49 Kristine M Unfortunately, yes;(
15:48:47 notarat That is unfortunate. I was under the impression that your company has already sold a large number of them, and several of my friends have already ordered them.
15:48:49 Kristine M Do you have a specific screen size?
15:49:26 notarat It's 32" It uses 3840x2160 resolution. That's the only monitor I am interested in.

I guess they aren't interested in making a sale today so I will look elsewhere...

Don't get me started. A week or so ago I called Dell US sales and they acted like the thing didn't exist. I had to contact Executive Support just to find out when they'd list the monitor on their US site - originally it was just listed on Dell's Hong Kong page. Just order it directly from the Dell website - you don't need to talk with anyone at Dell to order it. ;) You won't find better customer support from Asus, etc. unfortunately. In general customer support has just been getting worse and worse.

I actually own an Asus and found Asus' customer support excellent to deal with, it seemed they assigned one specific person to handle support requests with this monitor(they were responding to comments on Amazon and Newegg and saying to contact them directly). This person got me a firmware update and helped me out with driver support and other things, had no trouble communicating with them or anything.

As for the monitor, I think Vega got a bad panel because he said there was a lot of backlight bleed and my Asus doesn't really have any backlight bleed(compared to the U2412M next to it, which has some in the lower corners). It does have IPS glow, but that's expected. Overall you buy this monitor for the extremely high dpi and screen real estate, if you're after excellent motion clarity or high contrast, you're gonna be disappointed. The panel is amazing for static images and desktop work type things.

This Dell UP3214Q is very tempting but aren't all of these 4k computer monitors out of date already because they don't support the HDMI 2.0 spec? It seems like a huge price premium for a deficiency in one of the connectivity options. If it was at or less than $2k it seems like it would be worth it, but not at $3500.

Any idea when more 4k computer monitors are going to show up with hdmi 2.0? I assume my 780 video card would also be out of date if wanting to use it via HDMI?

I realize the displayport works fine at 60hz.

This Dell UP3214Q is very tempting but aren't all of these 4k computer monitors out of date already because they don't support the HDMI 2.0 spec? It seems like a huge price premium for a deficiency in one of the connectivity options. If it was at or less than $2k it seems like it would be worth it, but not at $3500.

I guess it all comes down to what you plan to use it for. I've never used a PC monitor as anything other than a PC monitor so I have no need for HDMI since there's DP.

I guess it all comes down to what you plan to use it for. I've never used a PC monitor as anything other than a PC monitor so I have no need for HDMI since there's DP.

Would the HDMI 2.0 4K monitors still use MST though?

$5400, yet the monitor still comes in cheap plastic.

Most $8000 4k tvs are also plastic. What does it matter for something that will sit on a desk? Its not like it needs metal, would it be a nice feature, sure, depending on your décor. Does it have any practical value? Nope not one bit at all.

I think a 36-39" 4K would rock. When they're around $2K and as fast as what we have today I'll bite.
Next year this time?

+rep for the wife. :D Too bad I'll be busy the next couple of days - holiday thing and all.

UP3214Q_00.jpg

UP3214Q_01.jpg

Back