Dell U3415W discussion - 21:9 UltraWide (3440x1440)

anyone else have issues getting the monitor to play audio? Using the DP to mDP cable..tried switching between DP 1.2 and 1.1, still no dice. Switched the playback device to the monitor and everything as well.

What version of Windows -- 7, 8, 10? Any other issues with audio? Have you tried a different cable (could be defective, though unlikely)? AMD or Nvidia GPU / what model? Have you tried over HDMI if that's an option? Latest drivers for your GPU installed? If your GPU has mini and full size DP available on it, have you tried switching which end of the cable is used for the GPU and the monitor?

Just trying to narrow it down.

What version of Windows -- 7, 8, 10? Any other issues with audio? Have you tried a different cable (could be defective, though unlikely)? AMD or Nvidia GPU / what model? Have you tried over HDMI if that's an option? Latest drivers for your GPU installed? If your GPU has mini and full size DP available on it, have you tried switching which end of the cable is used for the GPU and the monitor?

Just trying to narrow it down.

Ugh. Sorry, typed that in a hurry and didn't include any pertinent info.

GTX 970, running windows 10 64 bit. Using the DP to mDP cable that came with the monitor. Going to switch it out for HDMI tonight to see if that makes any change. This is my first time using DP. Was curious if there were any other issues out there while sitting at work.
No other issues with audio. Updated drivers last night. Double checked all settings on monitor and computer. Can't reverse cable, as my GPU doesn't have a miniDP slot.

Thanks, btw!

Since your GPU is HDMI 2.0 capable my understanding is there's no disadvantage to using HDMI -- you'll get full resolution at 60Hz no problem.

That said, I've had no issues using DP and the built in speakers with my 980Ti setup on either Windows 7 or Windows 10. I'm also using the included cable, oriented the same way you are -- I have a double-ended full size DP cable somewhere, but of course can't find it now that I have a use for it. Honestly didn't even know DP carried audio before using this display, so I was a bit surprised to see it show up as an option in the sound control panel.

Are you using Realtek onboard sound, or a discreet card? Not that it should matter, since the GPU acts as the sound device, but I have heard some odd things about ASUS cards in particular with Windows 10.

oh my GOD I hate myself.

The monitor was muted. Somehow I glazed right over that when looking at the sound settings.

Hey, better that than something being broken or defective, right? No worries, glad it was a simple fix.

oh my GOD I hate myself. The monitor was muted. Somehow I glazed right over that when looking at the sound settings.

Happens to the best of us! Also, I finally received my second monitor and it actually has way less IPS glow/BLB in the top left corner than the first one. Of course for regular productivity use, it's virtually unnoticeable.

150495.04ec908ce410e5e8e6569ed5ec37b7b9.29f56ead160daae47a1806b900ed8c5c.1600.jpg

Been running mine since August with no issues. I was skeptical at first, but after gaming on this thing, I will never go back to a non-ultrawide monitor.

LG, Dell, Samsung 21:9 Curved Monitor Comparisons

AWIP II Specs

Excellent post A0S! It sounds like gaming was virtually identical between the Dell and Samsung apart from the Samsung having better blacks (which of course is expected)? But yeah, 21:9 is great. The nay-sayers are typically those who haven't tried it.

Reactions: A0S
like this
I find 144Hz to be more important over ultrawide if I have to choose between the two. Might be cheaper to get this as a normal duty monitor and also get 144Hz gaming monitor over the Acer X34/Asus ROG

Ugh. Sorry, typed that in a hurry and didn't include any pertinent info.

GTX 970, running windows 10 64 bit. Using the DP to mDP cable that came with the monitor. Going to switch it out for HDMI tonight to see if that makes any change. This is my first time using DP. Was curious if there were any other issues out there while sitting at work.
No other issues with audio. Updated drivers last night. Double checked all settings on monitor and computer. Can't reverse cable, as my GPU doesn't have a miniDP slot.

Thanks, btw!

How does the GTX 970 drive this monitor? Which is better HDMI or DP?

Generally always want to use DP over HDMI. I believe HDMI is limited 50hz at this resolution.

The monitor has an HDMI 2.0 port, enabling it to do 3440x1440@60Hz.

On a side note, anyone have any issues using Displayport with this monitor? If I uninstall my driver, my screen resolution is ungodly small (600x400 or something like that) but it's not as bad with HDMI. Just annoys me when I'm trying to switch between drivers an can barely click on anything because the program cannot fit the window resolution. :(

OK. Mine was just broken...and actually it is the second one.

I just finished lunch and came back, saw it went black screen. Tried pressing power button but not working at all.

I have no idea why this happened.

One thing I can imagine is that this might be caused by overheat. As my room's temperature is quite high because the sun light shoots to my room directly in the afternoon.

I can see few vents in the back, and very small...

I also have U2410, which works well in the same environment, although it is very hot while using in the afternoon...I think it has more vents on the back.

Contacted Dell to issue a new one.

I wonder can I request a refund if the 3rd will encounter this same problem.

haven't posted here in a while, got my 2nd u3415w in today. Going to run dual u3415w.
previously ran a pair of korean 2560x1440p monitors, went to 1 u3415w, but am not used to single monitor at all!

Dang. Just got a replaced one. They just gave me the monitor instead of the whole box.

Luckily I opened the box to check. Then I asked the deliveryman that I need to take the power cable out.

The deliveryman even doubted that if I am allowed to do that...

I think I should just return the monitor instead of the whole box.

And....it is Rev A01...not Rev A02 previously.

building a new system for my pair of u3415w. hope my single 980ti would be enough, i rarely game.. but i did get tomb raider and assasins creed free with my parts.

hope my old system can handle it for another week or 2 until i'm ready. have a single r9 270 in there, but have a spare r9 270 if i can't drive both with the single card.

Just got mine, this is replacing a dell2407. It is very nice and I have been to hell and back with monitors in the last couple of years and ended up sending all back. This one is a keeper though.

I was a bit disappointed to see the box had revision A01 (August 2015) on it, I expected A02 or newer but there are no dead pixels and the ips glow is ok. There is a buzz on some coloured screens like I had with 2407 and there is a little buzzing at other moments, many seem to have noted same thing.

I am using a gtx770 and it's fine for everything really, except turning things up in Witcher3, but that's to be expected. I actually have 110-130 fps in Diablo III in full native resolution, not too shabby, tis a good card the 770 but I am waiting for next gen until I upgrade.

I didn't see any split screen software and looked on their site - what is it called? I have the display manager software installed and one part shows splits and yellow lines, is that it? Or is there another software package?

I think it would be nice to have two of these next to each other.

I haven't been able to see any movies that can use the resolution yet, all the movies I watched had black lines to left and right.

Just received my newly ordered U3415W - seems I also received an REV A01 model with manufacture date of Feb 2015

It's going to be a week or two before I get my new build up and running to try this monitor out, but should I be concerned with having this old of a manufacture date with all of the potential issues these have?

Have a lot of people received an REV A02 at this point? This revision has all of the bugs/kinks worked out of them?

Hoping I don't have to send it back, but if I have buzzing or anything it's going back.

I got a Rev A02 from Rakuten / BestBuy about two months ago, but it does seem there are still lots of A01s out there. As long as it works for you and the backlight bleed isn't too bad I'd keep it -- you've got a 5 year warranty from date of purchase regardless, since this is an UltraSharp series monitor.

Buying some cables from monoprice.com and wanted to pick up one for the Dell U3415W as well.

I have a display port cable, but would I benefit from getting a DP 1.2 or HDMI 2.0 cable over the regular DP cable that I have and even the ones that come with the Dell?

My new video card (EVGA GeForce GTX 970) has both DP 1.2 & HDMI 2.0 and I was kind of leaning towards the HDMI 2.0 for some reason?

No, the ones that come with the Dell are HDMI 2.0 and DP 1.2 already, respectively. The only reason you'd want/need different cables is if they are too short for where you keep your PC.

There's no reason to use the HDMI port for PC input -- use the DP or mDP port, and leave HDMI for other external sources (consoles, for example) that don't have DP as an option.

Ok I'll have to check the length on the cables to see if they will work for my setup, need probably 18" at least, if not 24" - anyone know the lengths of them off hand?

Dell's website says it comes with a single mDP to DP and not 1 of each?

Which is better/preferred between the 2, DP 1.2 or mini DP?

Last edited:
The length of the cable it comes with it plenty long for my setup, but my video card only has a single DP 1.2, no mini.

So it's perfectly ok to plug the mini DP into the monitor correct? Or does the monitor need the DP end plugged into it?

The length of the cable it comes with it plenty long for my setup, but my video card only has a single DP 1.2, no mini.

So it's perfectly ok to plug the mini DP into the monitor correct? Or does the monitor need the DP end plugged into it?

Yep, that's how I have mine set up -- miniDP to the monitor, full size to the GPU, monitor is in DP 1.2 mode. No blanking, flickering, or other issues.

Just bought off of Dell with a pricematch to the $750 running on amazon (newegg dropped after i'd already placed the order), I had a $250 egift card expiring, so I ended up $500 OTD. Setting up now!

For a little background, I had an x34 on order through Provantage for $1100, but I just couldn't validate G-Synce and 100hz for $600, so I cancelled that order, figuring at $500, if the G-sync higher refresh rate monitors drop (aiming for around $800), I can recoup enough $$$ on the Dell to validate using it or just get hooked on the Dell and forgetting the faster monitors.

BTW, in the manual, it shows DisplayPort as Horizontal scan rate of 73.7 and vertical of 50.0 and HDMI 2.0 as 88.8 and 60.0. (Page 13) Does this mean that HDMI 2.0 is better than DisplayPort for primary monitor connection? I intend to hook up both to use one as primary and the second for pip for voice comms and the like.

Hopefully not too dumb of a question.

BTW, in the manual, it shows DisplayPort as Horizontal scan rate of 73.7 and vertical of 50.0 and HDMI 2.0 as 88.8 and 60.0. (Page 13) Does this mean that HDMI 2.0 is better than DisplayPort for primary monitor connection? I intend to hook up both to use one as primary and the second for pip for voice comms and the like.

Hopefully not too dumb of a question.

That's odd, I hadn't noticed that before. But the Displayport vertical scan definitely goes to 3440x1440@60Hz - that's the default on it. Same from the HDMI input.

In practice there shouldn't be a difference with either input. I haven't seen one on mine, at least. I've only got one video card with an HDMI 2.0 output, and it handles this screen the same whether I'm using the DP or HDMI connection.

The other systems I've connected at various points had HDMI 1.4 which is either itself limited to 3440x1440@50hz, or the HDMI input on the monitor won't accept 3440x1440@60hz unless it detects HDMI 2.0. Not sure where the limitation lies.

But the point is - I'm not sure why the manual says that. It isn't correct.

The dell has the same curve as the LG right? I mean the amount of curviness

Same as the 34UC97, (I think the Dell uses the same panel as the LG, actually), but I believe some of the newer 34"-35" panels coming out have a sharper curve on them, so it depends on which LG you're asking about.

Ok I'll have to check the length on the cables to see if they will work for my setup, need probably 18" at least, if not 24" - anyone know the lengths of them off hand?

The cables that came with mine are about 6', same with all the other recent Dells I've seen.

I know the inclusion of the miniDP to DP cable seems a bit odd, but I think it was a nice idea on their end. They started doing this with the U2414H, at least that was the first time I saw it. The monitor will take either input, they're exactly the same as far as the capabilities. And since they've included a cable with both connections, it doesn't matter if you're hooking up, say, a laptop with a miniDP connection (like a Macbook via their Thunderbolt port) or a desktop with a full DP connection - the cable you need is in the box and you just connect it to whatever input you want. Super convenient.

Mostly loving it, though all corners have some glow, one corner really sticks out in dark games (upper left corner). The other 3 are survivable, but this corner bugs me.

That's odd, I hadn't noticed that before. But the Displayport vertical scan definitely goes to 3440x1440@60Hz - that's the default on it. Same from the HDMI input.

In practice there shouldn't be a difference with either input. I haven't seen one on mine, at least. I've only got one video card with an HDMI 2.0 output, and it handles this screen the same whether I'm using the DP or HDMI connection.

The other systems I've connected at various points had HDMI 1.4 which is either itself limited to 3440x1440@50hz, or the HDMI input on the monitor won't accept 3440x1440@60hz unless it detects HDMI 2.0. Not sure where the limitation lies.

But the point is - I'm not sure why the manual says that. It isn't correct.

Same as the 34UC97, (I think the Dell uses the same panel as the LG, actually), but I believe some of the newer 34"-35" panels coming out have a sharper curve on them, so it depends on which LG you're asking about.

The cables that came with mine are about 6', same with all the other recent Dells I've seen.

I know the inclusion of the miniDP to DP cable seems a bit odd, but I think it was a nice idea on their end. They started doing this with the U2414H, at least that was the first time I saw it. The monitor will take either input, they're exactly the same as far as the capabilities. And since they've included a cable with both connections, it doesn't matter if you're hooking up, say, a laptop with a miniDP connection (like a Macbook via their Thunderbolt port) or a desktop with a full DP connection - the cable you need is in the box and you just connect it to whatever input you want. Super convenient.

Was talking about the 34uc87, but I guess its the same as the Dell and 97

HDMI 1.4 doesn't support high enough bandwidth to allow 3440x1440@60Hz, the best it can do with the full resolution is 50Hz, so that's what the monitor defaults to with it.

It /may/ be possible to unlock the pixel clock on other cards that don't support HDMI 2.0 and force a custom resolution ( see pixel clock patcher and CRU here -- http://www.monitortests.com/ ) to get a full 60Hz -- effectively OCing the HDMI 1.4 port by ~20%) but I'm not certain as I've never had reason to try.

The guy that makes the software and runs the monitortests.com forum is super knowledgeable and helpful, though, so if someone is for whatever reason stuck in a situation where they have HDMI 1.4 and no DisplayPort (not sure if such a card exists?) they might go over there and ask for his help.

I plan on using this monitor with Ubuntu, does anyone know if it works properly with that OS? Specifically Dell's software that breaks up the monitor into sections for quick snap etc?

Also, what about this monitor supporting iOS? I read something from a year ago that dell didn't support this monitor for iOS, but have things changed with their support of this monitors software for iOS?

I'd like to be able to run a dual boot system with Ubuntu & iOS Mac mini.

I can tell you that Dell's software for Ubuntu is nonexistent, however, having used Ubuntu primarily on a system I have connected to this monitor, it works great with the built-in window snap capabilities. Anything beyond that, rather than Dell's software, you may want to use other open source utilities.

Do you mean a Mac OS system? (in which case, this monitor works great with Mac OS, tested on 13" and 15" rMBP) I haven't seen iOS running on a Mini before.

I'm surprised Dell doesn't support Ubuntu since they were shipping (and perhaps still are?) their computer with Ubuntu pre-installed.

Beyond the window snap capabilities, what else does dells software offer for the monitor? I was most primarily concerned with the window snap abilities, but not sure what else I would like/is available.

I planned on having a Mac Mini as part of my system for iphone use since ubuntu still isn't able to run itunes smoothly, so figured I'd throw one into my setup for easy use/set up of ipads & iphones.

I thought all Apple stuff was on iOS software, so whatever the Mac Mini has is what I'm hoping to use with the Dell U3415w monitor - although I don't know what I'll use to connect it since the dell doesn't have a thunderbolt port and I will have the mini DP connected to the main Ubuntu computer?

I've never used their software. Windows 7/8/10's and Ubuntu's built-in window snap capabilities have been fine for me. I don't even recall seeing any Dell software ship with the monitor, just the "driver CD" which, well, that might have included something, but I didn't need it to make the monitor work, so I didn't look at it.

Macs run Mac OS, and iphones/ipods/ipads run iOS. They're different operating systems. Mac systems work just fine with these Dell monitors - Thunderbolt is not required for a Mac to be able to output to a display.

Mac Thunderbolt ports are the same physical connection as a mini-displayport connector, and will carry a plain displayport signal when a thunderbolt cable is not in use. This is why you can also use mini-displayport to DVI, VGA, HDMI type adapters with a Thunderbolt port.

Some manufacturers have included Thunderbolt ports on their displays for "mac compatibility" since it allows them to add a bunch of other stuff over only one cable (ethernet, USB, whatever else), but for use as a monitor it isn't necessary. In my experience, you'll want to avoid Thunderbolt on anything that isn't Apple, anyways - everyone else's implementations seem very flaky.

Anyways, just get a second mini-displayport to regular displayport cable.

Connect your Ubuntu system's regular displayport output to the monitor's mini-displayport input using the first cable.

With the second mini-to-regular cable, connect the mini end to the Mac's Thunderbolt port and the regular end to the monitor's regular DP input.

Bonus: there are two upstream USB 3 ports on this monitor, so you can connect one to your Ubuntu system and another to your Mac, and then configure the monitor (from the OSD) to have one of the upstream ports associated with the DP input and the other with the mDP input. Then you only need one keyboard and mouse and it will auto-switch, like a KVM, whenever you switch inputs.

I have used this exact configuration without any issues, Ubuntu from a PC to the mini input and Mac OS from a laptop to the regular DP input. And USB connected to both. It's very convenient.

Dell's website says it comes with a single mDP to DP and not 1 of each?

Which is better/preferred between the 2, DP 1.2 or mini DP?

Eyeballing them, they're 60" = 5 ft. DP/mDP is the same, mDP is more convenient IMO. It boils down to which port you might use as a secondary connection -- for non-Apple equipment, I'd use the mDP and leave the DP free.

I've never used their software. Windows 7/8/10's and Ubuntu's built-in window snap capabilities have been fine for me. I don't even recall seeing any Dell software ship with the monitor, just the "driver CD" which, well, that might have included something, but I didn't need it to make the monitor work, so I didn't look at it.

Macs run Mac OS, and iphones/ipods/ipads run iOS. They're different operating systems. Mac systems work just fine with these Dell monitors - Thunderbolt is not required for a Mac to be able to output to a display.

Mac Thunderbolt ports are the same physical connection as a mini-displayport connector, and will carry a plain displayport signal when a thunderbolt cable is not in use. This is why you can also use mini-displayport to DVI, VGA, HDMI type adapters with a Thunderbolt port.

Some manufacturers have included Thunderbolt ports on their displays for "mac compatibility" since it allows them to add a bunch of other stuff over only one cable (ethernet, USB, whatever else), but for use as a monitor it isn't necessary. In my experience, you'll want to avoid Thunderbolt on anything that isn't Apple, anyways - everyone else's implementations seem very flaky.

Anyways, just get a second mini-displayport to regular displayport cable.

Connect your Ubuntu system's regular displayport output to the monitor's mini-displayport input using the first cable.

With the second mini-to-regular cable, connect the mini end to the Mac's Thunderbolt port and the regular end to the monitor's regular DP input.

Bonus: there are two upstream USB 3 ports on this monitor, so you can connect one to your Ubuntu system and another to your Mac, and then configure the monitor (from the OSD) to have one of the upstream ports associated with the DP input and the other with the mDP input. Then you only need one keyboard and mouse and it will auto-switch, like a KVM, whenever you switch inputs.

I have used this exact configuration without any issues, Ubuntu from a PC to the mini input and Mac OS from a laptop to the regular DP input. And USB connected to both. It's very convenient.

Awesome to hear all of that! I will do the mini DP to DP for the Mac mini setup when I add it to my system.

But you lost me on the upstream USB ports - what exactly am I plugging into these ports on the monitor to allow me to use the same keyboard from Ubuntu to Mac OS?

I need to run 2 additional USB cables from my monitor to each system to utilize the same keyboard & mouse? For the record I'm using the new wireless Microsoft ergonomic Sculpt keyboard & mouse combo.

Back