Dell U3415W discussion - 21:9 UltraWide (3440x1440)

interesting indeed. i'm going to order one as well. don't feel like waiting a month on dell. tomorrow sounds like a good day to get my monitor.

Mine arrived yesterday. I ordered on 1/23. So literally 4 days from order to doorstep in Michigan with standard shipping. Initial impressions are VERY VERY awesome.

Mine arrived yesterday. I ordered on 1/23. So literally 4 days from order to doorstep in Michigan with standard shipping. Initial impressions are VERY VERY awesome.

nice. i ordered the 26th, and when i talked to them earlier.. they told me they are back ordered, and not to expect it for a bit. so who knows. i had amazon confirm that product is indeed the 3415W, so i placed the order. we'll see tomorrow (if this damn snow would finally end).

nice. i ordered the 26th, and when i talked to them earlier.. they told me they are back ordered, and not to expect it for a bit. so who knows. i had amazon confirm that product is indeed the 3415W, so i placed the order. we'll see tomorrow (if this damn snow would finally end).

Wow, then it's an awesome price. You get the benefit of Amazon's CS/Return Policy and a nice discount from the MSRP of $1199.

Fuck it, I ordered a second one. I was going to return the one I bought at Fry's for full-price anyways since it has a dead pixel in the center of the screen.

Wow, then it's an awesome price. You get the benefit of Amazon's CS/Return Policy and a nice discount from the MSRP of $1199.

i got it from dell for $950, but after tax it was actually within a few dollars of the amazon price. i'm just like a five year old on christmas eve when it comes to toys, hate waiting.

Hmm.. $90 cheaper, think I'll cancel my Dell order (which just had the delivery date pushed back to 2/4 from 1/29).

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Close to pulling the trigger here, the only thing holding me back is some sort of confirmation the Amazon SKU is the same as the U3415W.

Close to pulling the trigger here, the only thing holding me back is some sort of confirmation the Amazon SKU is the same as the U3415W.

It's confirmed right on the page:

5G6yfVk.png

How does this work as 2? It seems odd since if you were to do surround, gaming, movies isn't the height too small?

I am asking since I had 4 Dell 30" U3014 in Portrait mode and this could be a good sub.

Also, how thick is the bezel, is it possible to do 3d on it?

Last edited:
How does this work as 2? It seems odd since if you were to do surround, gaming, movies isn't the height too small?

I am asking since I had 4 Dell 30" U3014 in Portrait mode and this could be a good sub.

Also, how thick is the bezel, is it possible to do 3d on it?
I think you'll be disappointed in total screen size if you went from 4 U3014 down to only 2 U3415. You'll be missing the height you're normally use to in portrait mode.

Now if you went with 4 U3415, that would be interesting. I would flip the two on top so that the slimmer top bezel faced down and the Dell logo is towards the ceiling. That quad setup would be an immense display to sit in front of.

As for the new bezel design, it's a big improvement in my opinion compared to prior Dell models. If the monitor is off, the appearance is there's only the slightest bezel on the sides and top. Once on, the display has just under 1/2" bezel from the image to edge of bezel.

Can anyone confirm, that the Dell Display Manager (DDM) reduces the Backlight Bleeding?

Please also provide a comparison picture with the DDM switched ON and OFF.

Would be tremendously helpful!

Two weeks now and I still have no replacement monitor and no answers from my case owner other than "a new request has been made" and "I will continue to monitor this case".

I asked if the return period for a full refund would be extended because of the delay in getting my replacement monitor. They ignored that question. So I just asked again now. My 21 days runs out on Monday and considering there are no answers on where my replacement monitor is, they'd better extend my return period. This is ridiculous.

I think you'll be disappointed in total screen size if you went from 4 U3014 down to only 2 U3415. You'll be missing the height you're normally use to in portrait mode.

Now if you went with 4 U3415, that would be interesting. I would flip the two on top so that the slimmer top bezel faced down and the Dell logo is towards the ceiling. That quad setup would be an immense display to sit in front of.

As for the new bezel design, it's a big improvement in my opinion compared to prior Dell models. If the monitor is off, the appearance is there's only the slightest bezel on the sides and top. Once on, the display has just under 1/2" bezel from the image to edge of bezel.
This is an interesting idea as its the same price I paid for 4......

How would I hold these up and locked in place. I def would need arms and a new desk. Not sure my 6ft Staples desk would work lol
http://m.imgur.com/a/j4rt4

Too bad this doesn't do 3d that would be rocking. The only downside though with this 4 way Configuration is where would the crosshair sit in a game?

So I just had an interesting conversation with Dell. I ordered the U3415W from Amazon so I tried to cancel my Dell order. They said it just shipped today (apparently) so I will need to just get a return label or refuse the shipment and will get a full refund. So that's fine.

But he also said if I change my mind they will apply a $100 discount to the order. I will still return mine, and I won't make any claims as to the ethics of doing this intentionally to get a $100 discount, but there we are ;)

my overnight from amazon is sitting in a ups distribution center 5 minutes away from me, but ups decided against delivering anything on this beautiful, sunny day because we had a snow storm this week.. and another one rolling in tomorrow :rolleyes:

so i did get mine today after all. this is what i ended up with. no dead pixels or dust. not sure what i plan to do yet.. going to use it for a day or two.

J0LtPhsl.jpg

so i did get mine today after all. this is what i ended up with. no dead pixels or dust. not sure what i plan to do yet.. going to use it for a day or two.

J0LtPhsl.jpg

This looks pretty mild for a camera shot...remember...this is not what it looks like to your eye.

Camera sensors make BLB look 100x worse than it really is. I'd keep it for sure :p

This looks pretty mild for a camera shot...remember...this is not what it looks like to your eye.

Camera sensors make BLB look 100x worse than it really is. I'd keep it for sure :p

yut. it's really not too bad at all. i'm already in love with it. huge improvement coming from a U2713HM. no complaints with gaming (other than below) either. probably take a bit to adjust my workflow to 21:9.. but yeah, i have no regrets purchasing this. i do need a bigger desk now, however.

i do seem to be having a problem alt-tabbing in/out of full screen games, and i'm sure it's probably something i've done wrong. i get the flicker, like it's changing res or refresh rate. nvidia cp and games both set to 3440x1440@60hz (over mDP) though. so.. somebody point me in the right direction, please. hah.

Dell may be able to reduce bleeding with further revisions but such issue seems inevitable with such large LCDs.
One day, OLED... ;)

arbybaconator what are your results for the two monitors?
Can you maybe show two pictures in Windows, with a completely black background and
a) Dell Display Manager ON
b) Dell Display Manager OFF

Last edited:
Can anyone confirm, that the Dell Display Manager (DDM) reduces the Backlight Bleeding?

Please also provide a comparison picture with the DDM switched ON and OFF.

Would be tremendously helpful!

On mine I don't think it does. Looked like DDM auto enables dynamic contrast. So then you will see the brightness auto adjust down on a black screen and subsequently have a perceived reduction in bleed...

yut. it's really not too bad at all. i'm already in love with it. huge improvement coming from a U2713HM. no complaints with gaming (other than below) either. probably take a bit to adjust my workflow to 21:9.. but yeah, i have no regrets purchasing this. i do need a bigger desk now, however.

i do seem to be having a problem alt-tabbing in/out of full screen games, and i'm sure it's probably something i've done wrong. i get the flicker, like it's changing res or refresh rate. nvidia cp and games both set to 3440x1440@60hz (over mDP) though. so.. somebody point me in the right direction, please. hah.

If you have the Dell Display Manager installed, go in to DDM and change the setting from auto to manual. I don't remember what it's called, but it changes the display modes for different apps.

Thanks vic! Though i am still interested in a comparison shot :)

Last edited:
Nice price in that Amazon link, just under $1000 right now.

Wondering if Dell's occasionally crazy sales will get the price down below $800...

Has anyone managed to receive one recently in Europe? I ordered one about a week ago, but just got a notice that stock isn't due until the end of February, and everywhere else seems to have the same or similar notices.

Has anyone's monitor turned off (display turns black) for a second or two while using it? It happened to me twice over the past month. I wasn't doing anything demanding, just browsing the web. It recovers by itself, and there's no error messages or anything. Display port glitch?

Has anyone's monitor turned off (display turns black) for a second or two while using it? It happened to me twice over the past month. I wasn't doing anything demanding, just browsing the web. It recovers by itself, and there's no error messages or anything. Display port glitch?

yep. i've been getting this using the mDP port. thinking it may be the DDM doing something..

Back