Dell U3415W discussion - 21:9 UltraWide (3440x1440)

New rule: If you post a pic with of this monitor with the backgroud showing, please post the wallpaper used ;)

What is the max resolution supported by DisplayPort 1.1?
I am using a pretty old Radeon HD5750. Works fine in 2560x1600. Do I need to upgrade graphic card with this monitor?

Uhm..
You might.
I think you might need to be able to display 4k to display 3440x1440 properly.

New rule: If you post a pic with of this monitor with the backgroud showing, please post the wallpaper used ;)

Specifically for the Kelvin it is: http://www.foundation3d.com/uploads/art/2009/12/456-02-813850.jpg

I normally did 6MP+ google image searches for most wallpapers and come up with a bunch - this one specifically for starships:
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHMO_enUS561US562&es_sm=122&biw=1440&bih=775&tbs=isz%3Alt%2Cislt%3A6mp&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=starship+wallpaper&oq=starship+wallpaper&gs_l=img.12..0l2j0i5l8.3924.3924.0.5834.1.1.0.0.0.0.117.117.0j1.1.0.msedr...0...1c.1.61.img..0.1.107.K5sy_F0zmwo

Also interfacelift seems to support a 3440x1440 category now for more traditional wallpapers.

Originally Posted by cnt View Post
What is the max resolution supported by DisplayPort 1.1?
I am using a pretty old Radeon HD5750. Works fine in 2560x1600. Do I need to upgrade graphic card with this monitor?

In case my last response got lost, it should work (my 5850 did output to this monitor if I attached a DP cable after power-on) but would shutdown after a power up if DP was connected. More details in my post on the last page. Will use the i5 for now until the next gen GPUs debut later this year.

Last edited:
In case my last response got lost, it should work (my 5850 did output to this monitor if I attached a DP cable after power-on) but would shutdown after a power up if DP was connected. More details in my post on the last page. Will use the i5 for now until the next gen GPUs debut later this year.

The 5850 only supports up to 2560x1600 over DisplayPort, so I'm guessing it's DP 1.1. IIRC, there is a setting in the U3415W to disable DisplayPort 1.2, so you could try that and see if it helps.

Just got mine. Think I'm returning it. There is a gray spot in the top center, right where the Firefox URL bar is. I don't think it's a dead pixel because it's not black. It's kind of a transparent gray and seems to cover a few pixels. I can see it even 3 feet away from the monitor. I'm guessing it's stuck dust.

There's also a number of what I think are sub-pixel defects. That is, you can only see them switch to black under specific angles, otherwise the pixel appears normal when viewed head on. Am I correct in assuming that's a sub-pixel defect rather than a full blown dead pixel?

What a shame. I just can't win. 4 Swifts returned, now 1 Dell returned. I think I should just quit computing.

P.S. Fired up Far Cry 4 on this thing on OH MY GOD. It's like I entered virtual reality. It actually made me kind of dizzy at first. What a difference that extra peripheral vision makes!

Just got mine. Think I'm returning it. There is a gray spot in the top center, right where the Firefox URL bar is. I don't think it's a dead pixel because it's not black. It's kind of a transparent gray and seems to cover a few pixels. I can see it even 3 feet away from the monitor. I'm guessing it's stuck dust.

There's also a number of what I think are sub-pixel defects. That is, you can only see them switch to black under specific angles, otherwise the pixel appears normal when viewed head on. Am I correct in assuming that's a sub-pixel defect rather than a full blown dead pixel?

What a shame. I just can't win. 4 Swifts returned, now 1 Dell returned. I think I should just quit computing.

P.S. Fired up Far Cry 4 on this thing on OH MY GOD. It's like I entered virtual reality. It actually made me kind of dizzy at first. What a difference that extra peripheral vision makes!

If you are that impressed with it, I would try to exchange it first... See if you get a better one without the issues you are having.

Those are probably dead subpixels - I have 1 that I know of but its so far on the periphery that I'm not bothered. I believe the exchange warranty on the Dell requires at least 6 to be present but with the cloudy effect you're having too it would be worth giving them a call. Their CS is really good (from personal experience) - usually providing advanced shipment of replacements so you can judge if the new one is acceptable before returning the first.

Here's a picture of it. Looks small but I can seriously see it from 3-4 feet away.

Not a dead pixel because it moves with my head movement. I can literally make it circle the cursor below by moving my head.

defect_view_1.png

defect_view_2.png

Here's a picture of it. Looks small but I can seriously see it from 3-4 feet away.

Not a dead pixel because it moves with my head movement. I can literally make it circle the cursor below by moving my head.

defect_view_1.png

defect_view_2.png

Seeing it I kind of agree that it might be something that is stuck between the AG coating and the LCD itself. You might try some of the online dead pixel test webpages to see if the behavior shifts.

I used their online chat support to show my problem and they agreed to send a replacement. Fingers crossed that the replacement doesn't have any issues, otherwise I am just sending it back for a full refund. Which would really suck since I like the monitor a lot.

Would you guys have sent it back for stuck dust as I have shown? I feel like I'm being super OCD but it is a $1000 monitor...

I used their online chat support to show my problem and they agreed to send a replacement. Fingers crossed that the replacement doesn't have any issues, otherwise I am just sending it back for a full refund. Which would really suck since I like the monitor a lot.

Would you guys have sent it back for stuck dust as I have shown? I feel like I'm being super OCD but it is a $1000 monitor...

You're not wrong to demand a good product for that amount of money.

You don't need other people to approve of this choice. It's your money and your experience. Get the best for your dollars, man. And I hope you get a clean replacement. Considering how long a monitor can last, you want to get something really worthwhile from the experience of purchasing it.

You would have been crazy to not send that back imo.

Its not like you're buying a cheap Korean no name lcd....

Has anyone tried connecting a MacBook Pro via the mini displayport? I have a late 2013 MBP, and I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work, but thought I'd ask just in case.

Has anyone tried connecting a MacBook Pro via the mini displayport? I have a late 2013 MBP, and I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work, but thought I'd ask just in case.

Should be fine if you have displayport 1.2. I have a 2013 MBA, which has dp1.1 and only get 30Hz.

i'd be demanding them to send me 2 replacement monitors at once hahah...i plan to use this monitor for the next 4-5 years [unless i can find a price mistake on a website haha] and there aint no way im gonna let a grey,stuck or dead pixel annoy me everytime i use my pc

Should be fine if you have displayport 1.2. I have a 2013 MBA, which has dp1.1 and only get 30Hz.

That's odd. Waiting on my U3415 to show up this week, but my 2013 Macbook Air at work runs my LG 34UM95 via Displayport/Thunderbolt at 60Hz w/ no issues at all.

This may seem a silly question but is it better to get a full sized display port connection or is the mini display port cable included perfectly capable? Is there any difference between the two connections?

This may seem a silly question but is it better to get a full sized display port connection or is the mini display port cable included perfectly capable? Is there any difference between the two connections?

I'm using the mini-DP on the monitor side and full size on the PC side. No issues. Only difference is the size of the connector.

Idem : I am using the the cable with mini Dp on the screen and normal one on my graphic card. No issue works fine. Be advised that when you switch the monitor on for the first time you will have to select this output in order to get the display working.

I might just return my monitor after finding out that Dell is sending me a refurb. From the chat transcript:

"The part/s I will be sending will be tagged as refurbished since the item has been opened and tested but it doesn't mean that the part has been used."

Like, seriously? I buy a brand new $1000 monitor and decide to return it within 2 days of owning it and they are sending me a refurb? :mad:

I might just return my monitor after finding out that Dell is sending me a refurb. From the chat transcript:

"The part/s I will be sending will be tagged as refurbished since the item has been opened and tested but it doesn't mean that the part has been used."

Like, seriously? I buy a brand new $1000 monitor and decide to return it within 2 days of owning it and they are sending me a refurb? :mad:

With a brand new item like this, the only difference between new and refurb is that the replacement monitor will not come in a retail box.

With a brand new item like this, the only difference between new and refurb is that the replacement monitor will not come in a retail box.

I don't think that's true. Plenty of people return brand new products after being dissatisfied with them. Then they become refurbs.

At any rate, I just chatted with another customer service rep who is contacting my exchange rep to change the replacement to brand new.

Apparently you have to specifically request that you want a brand new replacement, otherwise they send you a refurb. What the hell kind of shady tactic is that?

I don't think that's true. Plenty of people return brand new products after being dissatisfied with them. Then they become refurbs.

At any rate, I just chatted with another customer service rep who is contacting my exchange rep to change the replacement to brand new.

Apparently you have to specifically request that you want a brand new replacement, otherwise they send you a refurb. What the hell kind of shady tactic is that?

Depends how it's processed. If it's a warranty replacement they treat it as a refurb, but new systems and items can be done as a new exchange. After the 21 day (maybe 30) period, it will be treated as a warranty replacement.

i did a monitor exchange its coming mon, and i asked if its a new one they're sending and they confirmed its new..just keep calling till u get a rep that'll send u a new one

btw, is there an obvious sign if something's refurb? do they put a sticker on the box, items, etc?

I bit. I was able to use the 10% off coupon and stack on some Advantage rewards. Plus I signed up as a Preferred Account holder which added in 10% back in rewards. Not a bad deal, though not as good as the double-10% stacking from last week. Still, with the advanced exchange program plus the features, I think this is a decent deal.

Now I'm waiting on my order information + ship date info. Hope it doesn't take long!

-Wilo

it is curved, the LG is not. BLB may be worse, but I have not had a problem with it. It also has a 3 year warrantee, the LG has 1 unless you get the massdrop UM94

btw, is there an obvious sign if something's refurb? do they put a sticker on the box, items, etc?

Yes there is, on the back there will be a green sticker labeling it as a refurbished model. If the model arrives and it is otherwise perfect/no blb then i'd keep it personally.

The evil within. look at the black bars. much bullshit here. the game can be adjusted you say? But it crashes when I try. Note the resolution is set correctly in the game.

5BRxZhL.jpg

The only reason why I am not buying this monitor right now is that it does not have DP 1.2a and therefore will not have Freesync option... Why Dell didn't opt for dp 1.2a instead of dp 1.2.... bah :(

The evil within. look at the black bars. much bullshit here. the game can be adjusted you say? But it crashes when I try. Note the resolution is set correctly in the game.

5BRxZhL.jpg

I don't have tested the game yet but I read it had some issues ( wih FPS and aspect ration )

I found this : ( maybe you can try and tell us )

C/Users/account/saved games/tango/evil within/base/config

g_fov "100"
R_swapinterval "-1"
R_forceaspectratio "2"

=> Forces 60 FPS and a bearable Aspect Ratio without destroying the FOV

There is also this : http://www.incgamers.com/2014/10/how-to-unlock-the-evil-withins-framerate-and-cheat

Everyone,

If you placed an order with Dell in the past few days and applied any kind of coupon codes, check your order status right away. Today I learned that Dell never processed my order despite me having an email receipt. All they had on the order was a ten cent loyalty promo, which of course doesn't make sense, except maybe to them.

I was ping ponged between order modification and customer care for nearly 90 minutes working toward a positive end. Despite my record of submitting the order, Dell would not acknowledge their system error and try to make it right.

At this point, I decided to simply cut my losses and take my business elsewhere. My loss fortunately at this point is my own time and of course aggravation.

The only reason why I am not buying this monitor right now is that it does not have DP 1.2a and therefore will not have Freesync option... Why Dell didn't opt for dp 1.2a instead of dp 1.2.... bah :(

Well, thats pretty gay :(

Back