Dell U3415W discussion - 21:9 UltraWide (3440x1440)

I tried a displayport cable I had around but I guess its not compatible.

Quick question should I use the hdmi or displayport for my setup. I am using HDMI right now and its working just fine, figure to get your guys opinion on which could be better.

Also here is a pic of it last night:

7B48VMK.jpg

WoW was the first game I loaded up on this monitor and I must say that I've never seen a more beautiful picture in the game ever. I've been through 15+ monitors over the last 9 years and this one blew me away . I also love that I can play it @ 3440 x 1440 :) .

Couldn't get the guys at Dell UK to move much on there website price like you America guys.There best price they could do was £831 saving roughly £50 on the list price on Dell UK.

Now I am sure that doesn't sound bad but on Amazon UK it's £703 which is like £180 difference. I asked if they could match the price on Amazon and they said they couldn't. Crazy considering they make the monitor wth.gif.

The only thing is that it isn't in stock on Amazon UK yet says it will be dispatched in 2 to 3 weeks but with such a big saving it would be worth the wait. I am also waiting on 960 cards from Nvidia anyway.

Every time I've ordered from Amazon with a crazy estimation it has *always* shipped sooner than expected :)

Welp, I ordered sunday from dell, it is sitting on my desk today, so that was pretty damn fast.

Every time I've ordered from Amazon with a crazy estimation it has *always* shipped sooner than expected :)

I hope your right buddy they are saying between: Tuesday, 27 January 2015 - Monday, 2 February 2015 at the moment. Which would roughly be correct going by other UK retailers.

Manged to get another £5 off it also so I ended up paying £696.89 :D! I am lucky because Amazon have stuck it up in price today to £729!

I won't be home for a couple more hours and am trying to live vicariously through others... Can you re-post the images using image tags? I can't click on the links at work :D

Just got mine today.

What brightness do you guys use? Factory is set at 75 and it looks pretty good.

Are their any drawbacks of putting it in fast mode response time? Its factory set at normal mode and this option seems to be available in all color preset, not just game mode.

I hope your right buddy they are saying between: Tuesday, 27 January 2015 - Monday, 2 February 2015 at the moment. Which would roughly be correct going by other UK retailers.

Manged to get another £5 off it also so I ended up paying £696.89 :D! I am lucky because Amazon have stuck it up in price today to £729!

Looks like there's a couple German sellers on there with stock for a similar price. I'm not sure how amazon's customer service works with non-amazon products though :)

Just got mine today.

What brightness do you guys use? Factory is set at 75 and it looks pretty good.

Are their any drawbacks of putting it in fast mode response time? Its factory set at normal mode and this option seems to be available in all color preset, not just game mode.

I noticed a little overshoot in D3. If you move around orek you'll see him ghost a little more in fast mode than with it off. Other than that I haven't noticed anything. Haven't played around with it much though.

I'm sure that I'll just leave fast mode on.

I also did try overclocking the display. It'll take but it skips frames.

From what I understand, the factory calibration is only in "standard" color preset right?

"Uniformity Compensation" is left off by default, should this be enabled? I want to make the sure the monitor is set to the factory calibrated sRGB level.

I noticed a little overshoot in D3. If you move around orek you'll see him ghost a little more in fast mode than with it off. Other than that I haven't noticed anything. Haven't played around with it much though.

I'm sure that I'll just leave fast mode on.

I also did try overclocking the display. It'll take but it skips frames.

How did you get D3 to work at 3440x1440? Fullscreen doesn't show that res and if I changed it to windowed all the res' are greyed out. :confused:

Just got my monitor in and I foogin love it.
Initial impressions: Picture looks amazing and I have not found any dead or stuck pixels... yet. Hopefully it stays this way. The corners however have slight backlight bleeding but its not too much for me to consider a deal breaker. I don't know anyone who stares at a black screen all day.

Picture with U2311h:
bMPKwGr.jpg

Picture of backlight bleed:
NOT AS BAD AS THIS PICTURE SHOWS
qXkIRiy.jpg

The bottom corners have just as much glow, again not bad.

Last edited:
I got mine setup and it's beautiful! The BLB was my biggest concern and on mine it's a non issue. Spent about 10 min looking for dead/stuck pixels and I'm satisfied that there are none there. the curve is subtle, but nice.

So far I only have two concerns which are really minor...

1. Lack of 3440x1440 wallpaper out there. I know there is thread here, but nothing I really like. Looked around the image sites, and still not finding anything I am really happy with. I ended up cropping a 4k image and am using that for now.

2. Some of the images I saw of other people's U3415W was that their movies were full screen. Not quite sure how to do that yet. My movies/shows create black bars on the sides.

Initial impressions: Picture looks amazing and I have not found any dead or stuck pixels... yet. Hopefully it stays this way. The corners however have slight backlight bleeding but its not too much for me to consider a deal breaker. I don't know anyone who stares at a black screen all day.

Picture with U2311h:
bMPKwGr.jpg

Picture of backlight bleed:
NOT AS BAD AS THIS PICTURE SHOWS
qXkIRiy.jpg

The bottom corners have just as much glow, again not bad.

Nice setup. I would call that IPS glow more than bleed. Still trying to decide if I should get one.

I got mine setup and it's beautiful! The BLB was my biggest concern and on mine it's a non issue. Spent about 10 min looking for dead/stuck pixels and I'm satisfied that there are none there. the curve is subtle, but nice.

1. Lack of 3440x1440 wallpaper out there. I know there is thread here, but nothing I really like. Looked around the image sites, and still not finding anything I am really happy with. I ended up cropping a 4k image and am using that for now.

2. Some of the images I saw of other people's U3415W was that their movies were full screen. Not quite sure how to do that yet. My movies/shows create black bars on the sides.

Look for some wallpapers here: https://interfacelift.com/wallpaper/downloads/date/wide_21:9/

Nice setup. I would call that IPS glow more than bleed. Still trying to decide if I should get one.

The bottom corners are more glow than blb but the top corner are for sure blb, but its still amazing to look at. I would say get it if that deal if still around.

Also sidenote, the speakers on this thing are terrible and I didn't expect them to decent. I knew coming in they were terrible but this is some next level bad. I have heard better sound on cheap $5 speakers.

The bottom corners are more glow than blb but the top corner are for sure blb, but its still amazing to look at. I would say get it if that deal if still around.

Also sidenote, the speakers on this thing are terrible and I didn't expect them to decent. I knew coming in they were terrible but this is some next level bad. I have heard better sound on cheap $5 speakers.

I forgot about speakers. I wish it didn't have any. could have brought the cost down a bit.

Which mouse mat is that?

I'm loving my U3415W too. I disconnected my U2714HM, and 3 dell 23"ers and put them off to the side just so I can admire the huge single monitor :)

I did a quick check for bad pixels, and didn't notice anything. On an all black screen I see minor BLB from top 2 corners the most.

How did you get D3 to work at 3440x1440? Fullscreen doesn't show that res and if I changed it to windowed all the res' are greyed out. :confused:

Widescreen fixer, going to need it for a few games. A little quirky but seems to work well. Game looks awesome on this display.

Definetely has that IPS corner glow on dark scenes, not much you can do about that. Otherwise, the image on the monitor is beautiful.

Played around in both Star Citizen and WoW, both looked fantastic.

Mini review:
Monitor is amazing.
Minimum BLB. (can lightly rub with a terry cloth to make better ;) )
Input lag in all "Modes" is better then the Dell U2913WM in its "Game Mode"
Very uniform picture
very uniform color
speakers are good for in monitor speakers

Mini review:
Monitor is amazing.
Minimum BLB. (can lightly rub with a terry cloth to make better ;) )
Input lag in all "Modes" is better then the Dell U2913WM in its "Game Mode"
Very uniform picture
very uniform color
speakers are good for in monitor speakers

I agree with everything expect that last part. These monitor speakers are horrendous even for monitor speakers. :D:D:D

Also, what screen splitting software does everyone use? I don't want to use the Dell one.

edit: Went back couple of pages on the other thread and user MokrySedeS mentioned WinDock

Last edited:

Some movies are shot in near 21:9 aspect ratio (2.37 or 2.39 I think), so they could have been playing one of those. They're usually the ones that have black bars on the top and bottom of the screen on a 16:9 TV or monitor. Otherwise they may just have some kind of setting that's stretching it, though you could probably tell that by the picture.

I agree with everything expect that last part. These monitor speakers are horrendous even for monitor speakers. :D:D:D

Also, what screen splitting software does everyone use? I don't want to use the Dell one.

edit: Went back couple of pages on the other thread and user MokrySedeS mentioned WinDock

I'm playing aroud with nvidia nview. It's supposed to only support quattro cards, but you can force install it with a -f switch.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nview-driver.html

I wasn't able to get the newest one working, but 140.54 is working for me...

edit: if you want to play around with this. download the .exe, extract the contents with 7zip, then run the setup file with a -f switch in a batch file.

USculTd.png

Last edited:

THE GOOD:
- zero dead/stuck pixels :)
- very good colors out of the box (factory calibrated), I have no need to tweak it.
- fully adjustable stand, just perfect.

THE BAD:
- IPS glow is very apparent, but no worse than my old 27" Apple Cinema Display
- weird hologram effect at the left and right edges of the screen. looks like a 3D lenticular lense.

Overall, I'm very happy with it. It feels like a different experience using the PC now.

This is the first monitor that I would consider in replacement of my PLP setup.

I would like to know what brightness and contrast levels people are using. Also if we use the default dell window manager how do we get everything to come up where it was last time if we minimize a window say in IE? Like I want to be able to minimize all windows to get to the desktop then go back real quick. Or would I need a different manager for this?

I come to give you some news :

In the context of your online order of the 2015-01-11 at 20:56 we want to inform you that the goods are sent on the 2015-01-14 at 08:00 to:

For screen splitting i recommend displayfusion. for me its the bestand really easy to use!

For screen splitting i recommend displayfusion. for me its the bestand really easy to use!

I never thought to use Display Fusion for a single monitor setup. I might have to check it out, but I've always found that Display Fusion had too many features... I never ended up using half of them.

Divvy is another solid alternative. Not free though.

I've used Divvy on the Mac and really liked it. I will have to check it out as well.

Uh yeah so I actually bought two of these monitors.
I only plan on gaming on a singular monitor but wanted to use both for desktop/productivity use.

Will my GTX 760 ... handle this? I was going to daisy chain the 2nd monitor via display port.

I don't really play any new games on high settings, newest would be league of legends / CS:GO.

Opinions? I was thinking of grabbing a R9 290X 4GB for like 309$ on amazon. I just bought the GTx 760 like 6 months ago.

Last edited:

Windowed Fullscreen Mode is what I use on my 2560x1080 screen and it works great.
Blizzard said that they don't want to support 21:9 as it gives a competitive advantage to the player, and they mentioned that they "may" disable windowed fullscreen or something in the future so that 21:9 won't work.

I sent a link of this Dell monitor to my friend the other day and he is going to order one today. He doesn't game, it's going to be used for productivity.
I can't wait to see it in person.
A GTX750ti should work for this monitor, correct? He currently has my old GTX285 and I know that won't do the res needed.

Quite a few movies are in the cinemawide 2.35:1 aspect ratio which is pretty close to the 21:9 aspect ratio.
here is The Fifth Element in full screen on my 21:9,
lg%20monitor%201.jpg

Back