Dell U3415W discussion - 21:9 UltraWide (3440x1440)

Looks very good to me. Are you satisfied?

100% satisfied? No, I seek perfection, which with displays I've never experienced. Having said that it is a wonder to look at with a sharp image, good PPI, good vibrant colour.

I came from a BenQ BL3200PT, which also had a awful back-light bleed.

I noticed that the "capacitive" buttons on the front don't light up as I expected them to, neither do they give any sort of tactile feedback.

I just tried my 5850 DP connection [...] whenever I shutdown and restarted my computer it would shutdown about 30 seconds into booting using DP. After unplugging everything except DP and PSU it still shutdown like there was a short. I was using DP before on my older monitors so I think it might be a difference with how this monitor and DP interacts. My PSU is a 650W Seasonic unit so I doubt it would have an issue?

After doing some googling I found that my issue was a non-compliant displayport cable that had pin 20 connected. The connection introduced a feedback that the power supply recognized as a problem and shut down the computer. Received an Accell cable today and tested it. The 5850 outputs 3440x1440 @ 60hz - no more onboard graphics through hdmi!

Was Dell pretty accommodating when it came to this request? The BLB on mine is pretty bad in comparison to yours, I was planning to just return it for a refund but if they'll send me another one and by comparison it is better I'd consider keeping it.
Dell EPP has one of the best customer service I'd dealt with. I know this is a new release monitor but all of us paid nearly a grand for it or more. To me that's a lot of cash coming from a U2713HM. I don't expect perfection but my 27" Dell has very little BLB. Both the 34" had BLB very similar to the one posted recently but the replacement was a bit worse. More on the upper left corner. The color on the replacement was also visibility dull using the same exact preset options. I'm sure I can play around to get them a bit closer in color. The replacement was also a brand new monitor per my request. I plan to return the 2nd monitor on the right and will probably just keep the original one. To me it's a hassle to keep doing exchanges but wasn't 100% satisfied at first considering the cost of these monitors. Given the feedback on here, it might not get much better. It's still a stunning display but if you're into dark movies/games/wallpapers, you might get annoyed with BLB. Otherwise on bright backgrounds, the color and clarity in my opinion is amazing. This is coming from someone who's owned 4-5 different ultrasharps.

Btw, you have 10 days to examine your replacement before they want it back otherwise charge you.

So when I ordered it said estimated delivery date of 3/4. Just checked and its shipped!

i'm stuck between ordering this right now, and waiting for any new information on that 21:9 acer predator deal. i hate waiting though.. :D

I noticed that the "capacitive" buttons on the front don't light up as I expected them to, neither do they give any sort of tactile feedback.

In the monitor OSD settings > Other, is an option to add sound (very low volume beep) to button presses.

Last edited:
Dell EPP has one of the best customer service I'd dealt with. I know this is a new release monitor but all of us paid nearly a grand for it or more. To me that's a lot of cash coming from a U2713HM. I don't expect perfection but my 27" Dell has very little BLB. Both the 34" had BLB very similar to the one posted recently but the replacement was a bit worse. More on the upper left corner. The color on the replacement was also visibility dull using the same exact preset options. I'm sure I can play around to get them a bit closer in color. The replacement was also a brand new monitor per my request. I plan to return the 2nd monitor on the right and will probably just keep the original one. To me it's a hassle to keep doing exchanges but wasn't 100% satisfied at first considering the cost of these monitors. Given the feedback on here, it might not get much better. It's still a stunning display but if you're into dark movies/games/wallpapers, you might get annoyed with BLB. Otherwise on bright backgrounds, the color and clarity in my opinion is amazing. This is coming from someone who's owned 4-5 different ultrasharps.

Btw, you have 10 days to examine your replacement before they want it back otherwise charge you.

I would suggest to use your first 1 yes. remember dell has a 3 year premium panel warranty.

use this 1 for like 6 months and then call dell to say that your monitor startedto get more BLB. they will stil sent you a replacement and it might be a new revision with better QC

I would suggest to use your first 1 yes. remember dell has a 3 year premium panel warranty.

use this 1 for like 6 months and then call dell to say that your monitor startedto get more BLB. they will stil sent you a replacement and it might be a new revision with better QC

Yes, sometimes you have to game the system with Dell to get a perfect panel

Dell EPP has one of the best customer service I'd dealt with.

They are really sucking for my case. I had everything settled for a next-day replacement. Then I realized that I was entitled to a brand new monitor. Dell didn't even tell me this, I had to do my own research. So I followed up that I would like a brand new monitor replacement. They agreed.

Then I go on business travel for the next week and I come home expecting a new monitor. Nope. Nothing. Check my email and there is nothing related to the case. Go back to the original case email and click the link to check status. Cancelled. What??? :mad:

Not so much as an email telling me why. So I chat with another rep who writes to my original case owner telling them to take care of this when they get back.

Not exactly my idea of good customer service.

They are really sucking for my case. I had everything settled for a next-day replacement. Then I realized that I was entitled to a brand new monitor. Dell didn't even tell me this, I had to do my own research. So I followed up that I would like a brand new monitor replacement. They agreed.

Then I go on business travel for the next week and I come home expecting a new monitor. Nope. Nothing. Check my email and there is nothing related to the case. Go back to the original case email and click the link to check status. Cancelled. What??? :mad:

Not so much as an email telling me why. So I chat with another rep who writes to my original case owner telling them to take care of this when they get back.

Not exactly my idea of good customer service.
Generally Dell will call immediately before dispatching replacement parts to ensure there is someone to receive it and return the faulty unit. If you were away for a week (assuming your home phone was not rerouted to your mobile), that would be why they didn't send a replacement.

I have the Ergotron LX arm and had to really crank down on the tension screw due to the weight of the U3415W. It will support it but this monitor is probably the upper limits of this mount. One of the best mounts on the market both in functionality and appearance.

I Ended up Buying the Ergotron LX Sit-Stand mount and it is rated to support this size and after setting it up it perfectly holds the monitor fully extended with no sag. It is much more beefy than the standard LX mount.

just got off the phone with my dell rep. ended up getting this for $950 shipped. hopefully won't be waiting for too long!

Thanks! I'll give that a shot when I get home.

I've loving this monitor so far, but do have one minor annoyance. Not sure if it's an issue Windows at this resolution, or the monitor itself... When I wake my system from sleep my programs are sometimes not in the same position I left them, and they are rarely the size I had them at.

Before:
RAJ7ltyl.png

After:
pJ7TOJ9l.png

In this example it did not effect File Explorer, but have seen it effect my Mail program and uTorrent in addition to Chrome.

PS. In case anyone likes the wallpaper: http://i.imgur.com/fsMVIU7.jpg

I was able to fix this issue with info from this link:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/windows-7-movesresizes-windows-on-monitor-power/1653aafb-848b-464a-8c69-1a68fbd106aa

I Ended up Buying the Ergotron LX Sit-Stand mount and it is rated to support this size and after setting it up it perfectly holds the monitor fully extended with no sag. It is much more beefy than the standard LX mount.

Man.. that's kind of pricey. The LX is rated to 20 pounds and the monitor is a few pounds under that, should be OK right?

My monitor also is shipping early and should be here next week, looking for a mount. I was thinking of the HP branded LX - only $103, people in reviews saying it's working with 22+ pound monitors (I wouldn't do that, but should hold a ~18lb monitor ok).

On the other hand, if I decide to buy a 25lb 40" widescreen 4K monitor in a few years, maybe I'll need some headroom...

Man.. that's kind of pricey. The LX is rated to 20 pounds and the monitor is a few pounds under that, should be OK right?

Yes, I just set up this mount with my U3415W and it's working great. You just need to adjust the tension screw from the default. I didn't even tighten it all the way and it's holding the screen very firm.

On the other hand, if I decide to buy a 25lb 40" widescreen 4K monitor in a few years, maybe I'll need some headroom...

Consider this: in a few years, you'll probably feel okay springing for a heftier mount if you actually need it.

This seems to only partially fix the issue. It feels like Windows has a maximum resolution that can be set for the simulated set up. If you have something all the way to the right, it still gets pushed over.

More eloquently said in the Microsoft thread:
"The mentioned registry keys do have an effect, but the windows are still shifted about 100px to the left if they are positioned near the right edge of the screen."

Last edited:
Can't decide if I want to get this monitor and upgrade my PC, or stick with my current PC and get a 55" 4k TV and an alienware alpha or other mini pc like that.

Hopefully my old (not newer model) Ergotron LX arm will support this. Spec sheet lists it as handling 'up to 9.1kg', and the U3415W without the stand is 8.44kg. Cutting it a bit close though.

are the estimated ship dates from Dell just way off or are they really backordered until late Feb/early March? :(

Hopefully my old (not newer model) Ergotron LX arm will support this. Spec sheet lists it as handling 'up to 9.1kg', and the U3415W without the stand is 8.44kg. Cutting it a bit close though.
Has the LX arm changed much? Mine are fairly new and purchased within this past year. They clearly are able to support both monitors almost fully extended but I wouldn't put a larger/heavier monitor on them.

U3415W%20-%2001_zpspnromo7x-1.jpg

I've since moved the arms and noticed the base of the arm put slight imprints on my IKEA desk. Nothing major but worth noting that it stresses that area of any desk simply due to the weight of these massive monitors.

Has the LX arm changed much? Mine are fairly new and purchased within this past year. They clearly are able to support both monitors almost fully extended but I wouldn't put a larger/heavier monitor on them.

...snip...

I've since moved the arms and noticed the base of the arm put slight imprints on my IKEA desk. Nothing major but worth noting that it stresses that area of any desk simply due to the weight of these massive monitors.

similar experience here when I had the LG 34UM95

I went with the ++++++++ Counterbalance model because it was rated for enough weight vs the UM95.

But the monitor was so big and heavy, it sagged slightly to the UM95 side even with a 1080p on the other to try and balance it...and the weight had worn out the tension on the neck of the arm (for swivel and pivot)

and my IKEA desk had some marks on it from the arm - but that I'm not surprised so much with considering they're value/budget desks

sooooo....it worked. If I had to do it all over again, I would spend more on a newer arm rated for the new 21:9's imo

U3415W%20-%2001_zpspnromo7x-1.jpg

From the look of the base, those appear to be the new LX arms (max 11.3kg). The old LX has a lower max rating, and a different base design.

My old Ikea desk (one of the veneer-covered-cardboard-honeycomb designs) was eventually warped and torn apart by the stand before I added some solid wood plates to take the strain. Not a problem with my new desk though, and the new LX looks to have a larger base to better spread the load. Adding a rigid plate below (and possibly above) the desk to spread the load might still be a good idea if your Ikea desk is of the hollow honeycomb design rather than solid wood.

i am ordering this monitor tonight. it will be replacing my 3 dell u2414H which i sold for 430 €

From the look of the base, those appear to be the new LX arms (max 11.3kg). The old LX has a lower max rating, and a different base design.
I did not realize the old LX arms were so ugly. The newer ones like I have looks and functions really well. The base is pretty solid if you have a hard surface to clamp them onto.

I have a question regarding connecting two of these displays to my PC. I have an R9 290x GPU, which has the following outputs: 2x Dual Link DVI, hdmi 1.4, and 1 full size displayport.

Will I be able to connect t one of these displays via the DP->Mini-DP cable, and then daisy chain another one with another DP->Mini-DP cable in MST? Or will there be a degradation in quality?

Also, regarding the MHL port - can I plug an HDMI device into this?

I'm coming from a Dell U3011, which has two hdmi ports, two dual link DVI ports, and a displayport. Trying to wrap my head around my options here, since I currently use all but one of these.

I have a question regarding connecting two of these displays to my PC. I have an R9 290x GPU, which has the following outputs: 2x Dual Link DVI, hdmi 1.4, and 1 full size displayport.

Will I be able to connect t one of these displays via the DP->Mini-DP cable, and then daisy chain another one with another DP->Mini-DP cable in MST? Or will there be a degradation in quality?

Yes, just make sure you enable DisplayPort 1.2 in the settings on the monitor. The monitor has both full size and mini Displayport inputs, so you don't need to use a DP->mini cable unless you want to.

Also, regarding the MHL port - can I plug an HDMI device into this?

I'm coming from a Dell U3011, which has two hdmi ports, two dual link DVI ports, and a displayport. Trying to wrap my head around my options here, since I currently use all but one of these.

You can use the MHL port as a regular HDMI port. MHL just adds extra support for powering devices and some other things.

Thanks all for the responses earlier. I picked up a U3415W from Fry's today, but it looks like it has a bright green pixel stuck in the center of the screen.Bummer.

rOUs9a5l.jpg

Back