Dell U3415W discussion - 21:9 UltraWide (3440x1440)

I might just return my monitor after finding out that Dell is sending me a refurb. From the chat transcript:

"The part/s I will be sending will be tagged as refurbished since the item has been opened and tested but it doesn't mean that the part has been used."

Like, seriously? I buy a brand new $1000 monitor and decide to return it within 2 days of owning it and they are sending me a refurb? :mad:

It's standard practice for companies to replace returns with refurbished product. I'm actually surprised when companies do send brand new monitors as replacement.

But in this case, the Dell rep has indicated that they've gone out of their way to provide you with a good monitor by opening it and testing it, and they explicitly state that it's not a used monitor. Unless I'm reading this wrong, they're literally doing you a favor, most likely because they know you're the kind of customer who will be returning a monitor with any sort of defect. No reason to get angry here.

The BLB/IPS Glow on the top left corner of mine is a bit strong. Going to play with the settings to see if I can get it to look better. If not, it will be going back.

It is pretty fantastic aside from that.

Received my Dell today.

Mini review:
Overall extremely pleasing.
Dell Desktop manager software incredibly useful and simple to use.
More responsive than my U2713hm I have. Would not hesitate to recommend for gaming. Had a quick go with bioshock infinite and it was fantastic.

Minor amounts of bleed in the top left and right corners. Enough to notice during a blb test at night but not enough for me to return the monitor.

Will be doing a video review hopefully sometime over the next week. If possible i'll try wrangle a Phillips 40" to do a comparison review as I know a lot of people (myself included) have been tossing up those two options.

What about new orders, do they risk getting a refurb now that there seems to be a shortage, or will new orders always get a new item?

Hi.
Here is the first time I tried to make a video in 1440P and uploaded to youtube to show the screen with games.
Youtube is degrading the real quality but yeah it gives an idea...

You can see the game recorded directly from the screen in 3440X1440 and the game recorded by a 1080P camera ( not as goog as it is coming from the screen but he it gives an idea - and by the way during video making process, I used a little bit too much of saturation... I know for next time )

Hope it will give some ideas to those who hesitate with this screen. Games are just working perfectly for me !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgQhf7DTeik

What about new orders, do they risk getting a refurb now that there seems to be a shortage, or will new orders always get a new item?

If you order a new one, you'll get a new one. Selling refurb products as new is illegal. :D

For those in the UK, I've check with Dell CS and you can transfer the warranty from within the EU to the UK via this form. this can work out almost £100 cheaper than from Amazon (the cheapest UK seller). Dell UK unfortunately will not negotiate pricing (at least, not over the phone).

Would really appreciate if those people who own the monitor would be so kind as to take a picture of the monitor in a dark room with a black background. Just returned the AOC 34" Ultrawide because of unbearable corner light bleed so I'd like to see how it compares to the Dell 34". :)

A photo of a monitor will not tell you much. The amount of bleed visible will depend far more on the camera settings than on reality.

I got my monitor today direct from Amazon UK paid £638. Here is my Bleed and in my opinion the picture is very accurate to what I can see in front of me. I think I would have been satisfied if the Upper left corner wasn't so bad compared to the rest. The buttom corners aren't so bad.

How is Dell's customer service when it comes to Back light Bleed?

1zpoe4j.jpg

That's much, much better than what I had with my AOC. I'd probably be able to live with it. Of course your mileage may vary.

Thats about how my replacement looks, sadly. Upper left corner is also my issue.

My original with a couple of dead pixels and a stuck pixel had a good bit less blb.

Edit: I actually have a bit more than you on the bottom.

I've loving this monitor so far, but do have one minor annoyance. Not sure if it's an issue Windows at this resolution, or the monitor itself... When I wake my system from sleep my programs are sometimes not in the same position I left them, and they are rarely the size I had them at.

Before:
RAJ7ltyl.png

After:
pJ7TOJ9l.png

In this example it did not effect File Explorer, but have seen it effect my Mail program and uTorrent in addition to Chrome.

PS. In case anyone likes the wallpaper: http://i.imgur.com/fsMVIU7.jpg

Last edited:
it has to do with the maximize button (beside the X). If you have the window maximized it won't actually cover the entire screen but it will be "maximized". then it will un-maximize on waking up. just don't use the maximize button.

it has to do with the maximize button (beside the X). If you have the window maximized it won't actually cover the entire screen but it will be "maximized". then it will un-maximize on waking up. just don't use the maximize button.

I don't ever use the maximize button... I have recently been using Windock, but it was doing this before that.

Got mine today and it looks great. I will try to get some pics up this weekend. I have almost no bleed or I am not sensitive to it. This is about 1000 times better than the LG 34UM95 I returned 1 week after purchase. Very happy so far.

I've loving this monitor so far, but do have one minor annoyance. Not sure if it's an issue Windows at this resolution, or the monitor itself... When I wake my system from sleep my programs are sometimes not in the same position I left them, and they are rarely the size I had them at.

Before:
RAJ7ltyl.png

After:
pJ7TOJ9l.png

In this example it did not effect File Explorer, but have seen it effect my Mail program and uTorrent in addition to Chrome.

PS. In case anyone likes the wallpaper: http://i.imgur.com/fsMVIU7.jpg

If you use Display Port, it may be disconnecting and reconnecting when the computer sleeps and wakes up, defaulting to a lower res then going back to the normal res..

Bit the bulllet, ordered this thing. Tired of waiting for decent 4K monitor 34"+. Maybe in a few years.

Best I could manage was 5% cash back from discover and 10% discount code. Seems most of the stacking/EPP shenanigans don't work any more, and it won't ship for a few weeks, but maybe I'll get lucky and some better discounts will come up and I can cancel/re-order.

To be clear, this thing has 100x100 vesa mount? Any issues with articulating arm on a curved monitor like this? Seems there shouldn't be...

Anybody fart around with hooking two PC's up to it and sharing mouse/keyboard?

Any issues with articulating arm on a curved monitor like this?
I have the Ergotron LX arm and had to really crank down on the tension screw due to the weight of the U3415W. It will support it but this monitor is probably the upper limits of this mount. One of the best mounts on the market both in functionality and appearance.

I found a code listed this morning from ExtremeTech, but it looks like may have only been good for yesterday... I tried the Dell Advantage too, but only got a whopping 10 cents off. Oooooo! Big savings...

Has anyone who's returned this monitor gotten a replacement that has less back-light bleed? Mine is noticeable on all 4 corners on any dark screens.

I found a code listed this morning from ExtremeTech, but it looks like may have only been good for yesterday... I tried the Dell Advantage too, but only got a whopping 10 cents off. Oooooo! Big savings...

That's the one I used last night. Note it only seems to work on the specific Dell link they give in the article, I couldn't get it to work on the home consumer page, EPP page, etc... so make sure you go in "clean" to that URL they give.

Ive been using a 2405fpw for a very long time and if im not mistaken its a VA panel ie nice blacks. Im still sitting on the fence a bit worried about the light bleed of the 3415.

Thank you so much. It worked and saved me $120. Not as good as some folks have got it for but its $120 saved! Now the wait begins :D Can't wait to get rid of my triple 1080p screens.

Looks sweet. I think I'd end up stacking them for some reason -- at least for work purposes.

Hi All

As i'm a huge flight sim guy I'm pulling the trigger & getting 2 of these.

As i'm a huge flight sim guy I'm pulling the trigger & getting 2 of these.
Sorry for posting the teaser pics. One is actually a replacement and I'm doing a side by side comparison to decide which one to keep. I normally sit ~30" from the screens and having two U3515W is massively wide but for gaming, I don't think I could live with the bezel at dead center. Just too distracting.

If I were you, I'd opt for a 34" as my center monitor and get two 27" on either side. That's super wide but for flight sim, you'll get that cockpit feel since you'll be able to angle the two 27"ers. I have a U2713HM and the bezel isn't as nice and slim as the U3515W. It's okay once butted up against each other but not perfect. I'm not sure if the new U2715H has a slimmer bezel but if it does, that would be my ideal setup for gaming. From the pics I've seen online, the U2715H might have a very similar bezel design as the U3515W. Same pixel height too and these 3 monitors will cost you the same as 2 34"ers.

Hi All
@Ellstromz thanks for the suggestion. The two 27" on the sides and the 34" in the center sounds great. Did really well at Atlantic City last week so I should be able to swing it..

Thanks again.

Hi All
@Ellstromz thanks for the suggestion. The two 27" on the sides and the 34" in the center sounds great. Did really well at Atlantic City last week so I should be able to swing it..

Thanks again.
Make sure you check if your graphics card can drive all 3 monitors (2 with different resolutions). You can't daisy chain a U2713HM since it doesn't have a DP out. Not sure about the newer U2715H though. Worth asking on the forums before you shell out big bucks for your setup.

Hi All

@Ellstromz I'm checking it all out now. I got excited when I read your post but have calmed down to check things out before I commit.

Again, My thanks

Hi All

Thanks again.

wat

people still go to Atlantic city?

Just got two of these Dell U3415W.. here is my back-light bleed, I have altered the image in Photoshop to better represent what I see with my eyes and not what the camera sees, as it over exposes the image due to the lighting conditions.

20150123_2316321.jpg

Has anyone who's returned this monitor gotten a replacement that has less back-light bleed? Mine is noticeable on all 4 corners on any dark screens.

my return monitor was worse haha..it came half assembled, it was missing all the ports in the back and someone placed tape on the lower left corner w/asian writing on it haha..waiting on the 2nd replacement

Sorry for posting the teaser pics. One is actually a replacement and I'm doing a side by side comparison to decide which one to keep.

Was Dell pretty accommodating when it came to this request? The BLB on mine is pretty bad in comparison to yours, I was planning to just return it for a refund but if they'll send me another one and by comparison it is better I'd consider keeping it.

Just got two of these Dell U3415W.. here is my back-light bleed, I have altered the image in Photoshop to better represent what I see with my eyes and not what the camera sees, as it over exposes the image due to the lighting conditions.

Looks very good to me. Are you satisfied?

Back