Dell U3415W and Asus PG348Q - Worth Upgrade?

danks

Limp Gawd
So when I built my PC a while ago the Dell U3415W just came out and I ended up getting it. Been a lovely monitor but I've been gaming more and have been hearing how great higher refresh rate is with g-sync. I'm considering upgrading at this point to a new monitor and settled on the Asus PG348Q if I was to make the move. I don't want to move away from ultrawide so after comparing a few of the other g-sync monitors in this class the Asus looks like a good choice.

For reference my specs are in my sig.

My main concern is how noticeable will the improvement be? I've only ever owned standard 60hz monitors and never seen what an adaptive sync at 100hz or more does for games. I mainly play mmo (o/ other ffxiv fans) but occasionally fps. Considering my current monitor is the same size and resolution my purchase would mainly be for g-sync so can that alone justify an upgrade? Any feedback from people moving from 60hz for the first time would be appreciated :).

Last edited:
Its a decent improvement (60hz to 100hz). I don't particularly thing Gsync itself is worth it.

The 3415W is still a mighty beefy monitor. There will probably be HDR ultrawides coming out in the next year or so (if that is something you care about).

I've eyed the PG348q a million times. Looks dreamy.
My 2 cents, I love higher refresh monitors... I don't care for G-sync. I have a pg279q, I leave G-sync off 24/7. I rarely notice any screen tearing. I do notice G-sync dropping my fps down.

I don't particularly thing Gsync itself is worth it.
I don't care for G-sync. I have a pg279q, I leave G-sync off 24/7. I rarely notice any screen tearing. I do notice G-sync dropping my fps down.
Complete opposite for me. I wouldn't buy a high refresh rate monitor without G-Sync.
I find screen tearing or judder very distracting.

That said, you might not want G-Sync for MMOs.
Since the hardware cursor updates the cursor at your refresh rate, and G-Sync synchronizes the refresh rate to the framerate, it can result in a very laggy cursor at low framerates.

It's worth the upgrade it you can get a good example with little backlight bleed and no dear pixels. I'm upgrading my PG279Q to an refurb Acer X34 that is supposed to arrive tomorrow.

To me, both G-sync and the higher refresh rate is a game changer and all my future upgrades will always include both.

Thank you all for you input! I also find screen tearing and judder very distracting so this sounds like a good move. Hopefully my 980's will get the job done for a while longer :)

Back