Dell U3014 unboxing :)

Yes theyll pay for it back and forth. I sent in a 1-2 year old u3011 to get a newer revision casue of a problem with sRGB mode. It took 3-4 times for them to finally get me the correct revision. In the mean time I had 3 of them at my house in boxes waiting to ship back. Most of the shipping is 1-2 day shipping to, that has got to be expensive for them.

This. I ended up shipping a grand total of ELEVEN U3011s back and forth to Dell before I ended up with and "in" with them and got someone that works there to talk to his wife in sales who talked to her boss and then got me a brand new pair of U3014s as replacements.

Lucky for me so far I've had 0 issues other than slightly-more-than-standard IPS glow which I can live with but I believe both monitors are A02.

Has anyone actually received a Rev A02 version of the U3014? Chris-M on Dell forums seemed to indicate it was released awhile ago.

I believe both of mine are but I will have to wait a couple hours to confirm when I get home.

The deal seems to be back, this time on both newegg and amazon. Does it get any cheaper? I guess if/when new on comes out it would be about $1500?

Why Dell has so many QA problems with their monitors and still they seem to sell a lot?

Well I have already the 4th monitor.
This one seems to be fine.
Scanlines are not noticeable.
Normal IPS glow, no dead pixels, responsive menu, autopower-off working.

Yesterday I noticed that in complete white background the monitor was having one strange "semi-circle aura" on the center-bottom of the screen.
I applyed "uniformity compensation" and it worked great.

My unit is made in April 2013.

I was happy too soon.
Yes uniformity compensation works, but i cant lower the bright without loosing the uniformity.
Plus it developed stuck pixels.

I will ask for a 5th monitor.

Jeez, this is frustrating.
Im thinking on selling this U3014 and getting a much more cheaper 27" 1440p monitor.

If I end up doing that, wich monitor should I buy?

I was happy too soon.
Yes uniformity compensation works, but i cant lower the bright without loosing the uniformity.
Plus it developed stuck pixels.

I will ask for a 5th monitor.

Jeez, this is frustrating.
Im thinking on selling this U3014 and getting a much more cheaper 27" 1440p monitor.

If I end up doing that, wich monitor should I buy?

For 27", it depends if you want wide gamut or not. I personally don't have experience with wide gamut 1440p displays, but of the standard gamut ones that I tried I liked the Viewsonic VP2770 the most.

Anyone overclock one of these things to see how high it can go? If you haven't, it won't hurt your monitor to try.

Monitor looks sweet, scrolling down the first page is trippy with all the colors flying by

Update from DELL-Chris M

A02 did not address the scanline issue. A03 will. I understand that one user said his A02 did not have the lines, but most A02 customers say it does.

A00 to A01
* Hardware change to correct the USB 3.0 charging behavior

A01 to A02
* Firmware change to turn off SVE (Smart Video Enhance) in the OSD (On Screen Display) to correct the random color temperature shifts

For A01 customers, simply turning off SVE is just like getting the A02.

Just for reference, the U3014 can go as high as a whopping 61 Hz overclock. At 62 Hz and higher it drops frames even though it will accept a higher frequency.

Awesome AR film on these. My customers monitor was defective and had a line of dead pixels down the entire length of the screen. Poor quality control from Dell.

The U2713HM is way better unless you need a wide gamut monitor to use with color managed applications or don't care if the content you view has proper (not over-saturated & inaccurate) colors & don't mind spending twice as much on a display with twice as much input lag and ghosting issues.

The U2713HM is way better ... (not over-saturated & inaccurate) colors & don't mind spending twice as much on a display with twice as much input lag and ghosting issues.

The colours produced by the GB-LED backlight are the best I've ever seen when in calibrated mode. The 27" W-LED next to it looked so dull in comparison.
Gaming on both FPS and Company of Heroes was excellent. No noticeable lag or ghosting. :)

The problem is the severe backlight bleed in the bottom corners. :(

What's the ETA for revision rev A03 ?

Even if A03 fixes everything how many times would a person have to oder and keep sending a product back before they got a A03 model? They don't recall all previous versions from stores stock do they?

Even if A03 fixes everything how many times would a person have to oder and keep sending a product back before they got a A03 model? They don't recall all previous versions from stores stock do they?

If bought from Dell Direct they *should* sell the latest revision, of course they cost up to 30% more than resellers.

I hope A03 fixes the backlight bleed.
The 29" Dell has excellent backlight uniformity so there's no excuse. :mad:

The colours produced by the GB-LED backlight are the best I've ever seen when in calibrated mode.

You do realize that games are not created for Wide Gamut Color Spaces (Adobe RGB), they are created for the sRGB color space. Using a Wide Gamut monitor for games & movies defeats the point of the Artists efforts to make the worlds they create look a certain way.

Last edited:
The U2713HM is way better unless you need a wide gamut monitor to use with color managed applications or don't care if the content you view has proper (not over-saturated & inaccurate) colors & don't mind spending twice as much on a display with twice as much input lag and ghosting issues.

Thanks. Just wondering, will a ps3/xbox work on this thing in "game mode"? I don't mind black bars, for a 1:1 pixel representation. Just wondering if it works. I want a 27-30" screen for work 70% of the time, pc games & movies 28% of the time and PS3 like 2% of the time). Is this monitor a viable solution?

Last edited:
Thanks. Just wondering, will a ps3/xbox work on this thing in "game mode"? I don't mind black bars, for a 1:1 pixel representation. Just wondering if it works. I want a 27-30" screen for work 70% of the time, pc games & movies 28% of the time and PS3 like 2% of the time). Is this monitor a viable solution?

Both the U2713HM+3014 will work but the Game Mode on the 3014 uses the displays native, wide gamut=inaccurate+over saturated colors for console games. Scaling 16:9 resolutions will likely increase the lag by 1 frame on the 3014.

The 3014's already embarrassing ghosting will be worse with 30fps games, especially in those with built in motion blur.

The only benefit of using the U2713HM's game mode is to decrease the color quality. If you want proper colors for games & movies do not buy a 30" monitor.

Both the U2713HM+3014 will work but the Game Mode on the 3014 uses the displays native, wide gamut=inaccurate+over saturated colors for console games. Scaling 16:9 resolutions will likely increase the lag by 1 frame on the 3014.

The 3014's already embarrassing ghosting will be worse with 30fps games, especially in those with built in motion blur.

The only benefit of using the U2713HM's game mode is to decrease the color quality. If you want proper colors for games & movies do not buy a 30" monitor.

My dream of replacing my Dell U2311H 2 monitor setup with 1 bigger screen is not closer to reality :D

Looking for a monitor which: 90% of the time I will use it for work/text documents. 9% of the time game via pc, and 1% PS3.

Thanks for the feedback

Last edited:
2560x1440 is a huge leap vs. 1920x1080 in terms of screen real-estate while the leap from 1440-1600 is not.

I wouldn't get the U2713HM for text since it has matte coating cross-hatching issues, better off getting the Viewsonic VP2770 or Asus PB278Q if you don't mind LED PWM Dimming. Could get one of the Qnix/X-Star PLS from here:

http://www.ipsledmonitors.com/QNIX-QX2710LED-Evolution-II-Monitor-Display-Port-p/qni3.htm

The only 1440p 27" monitors in my region are the:
Dell U2713HM
Dell U2713H
Samsung S27B970D

:(

Is this a viable solution?
http://www.samsung.com/my/consumer/television/television/led-tv/UA32F5000ARXXM

Last edited:
The only 1440p 27" monitors in my region are the:
Dell U2713HM
Dell U2713H
Samsung S27B970D

:(

Is this a viable solution?
http://www.samsung.com/my/consumer/television/television/led-tv/UA32F5000ARXXM

I have both solutions, a 27" 1440p monitor which is the U2713HM fantastic monitor, very light matte (semi-glossy) and text clarity is fantastic.

I also have a 32" Samsung HDTV, mine being the 6 Serie 32F6300 which is fantastic with it's PC mode and excellent for gaming and watching movies.

Obviously text won't look at sharp as the 27" monitor so if you do more work/regular stuff and some gaming the 27" is the clear choice. If you only want the display for gaming/movie watching and some light PC use I would opt for the 32F6300 and set the PC mode.

I have both solutions, a 27" 1440p monitor which is the U2713HM fantastic monitor, very light matte (semi-glossy) and text clarity is fantastic.

I also have a 32" Samsung HDTV, mine being the 6 Serie 32F6300 which is fantastic with it's PC mode and excellent for gaming and watching movies.

Obviously text won't look at sharp as the 27" monitor so if you do more work/regular stuff and some gaming the 27" is the clear choice. If you only want the display for gaming/movie watching and some light PC use I would opt for the 32F6300 and set the PC mode.

I went through about 6 U2713HMs before returning all of them eventually. While the monitor is good, it has flaws that for a $600 display I found unacceptable: cross-hatching pattern visible on gray/white backgrounds (so basically where you read most of your text), backlight bleed on the corners, and a few made a buzzing noise when a full page of text was visible.

Thanks for the suggestions

They are still sending out new A02's. I got one today... not a happy camper.
If they know there is an issue with the scanning lines, why do they sell it. I guess they think it will fall on someone who is not experienced when purchasing a screen.

Last edited:
Cause 99% of the people who would get it would never return it due to not noticing, not knowing, or not caring. Dell can still make a profit then and worry about the 1% of the people. Easier and cheaper than a recall. Just like on a forum where you see a lot of negative posts, but in total it is a small percentage of people.

They are still sending out new A02's. I got one today... not a happy camper.
If they know there is an issue with the scanning lines, why do they sell it. I guess they think it will fall on someone who is not experienced when purchasing a screen.

Just received a reply from Dell Chris M:

Engineering has stated that A03 corrected the horizontal lines issues. As of today (8/16/13), the only way to get the A03 is through a used/refurbished monitor exchange. This is only for Americas customers. Service stocks for other regions are still being revised to A03. No resellers will have A03. The used/refurbished exchange must be done through Dell. New purchase stock will not be at A03 until October. Link: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19517935.aspx

A user on Slickdeals reported his refurbished replacement was an A03 and says he can't see the lines, or too subtle to notice. To be sure, I asked if he saw them on his first A01, which he replied that he did. So that's a good confirmation. Now with Chris's message above, I think I'm going to setup a replacement too.

I bought my U3014 during the Dell Outlet sale on 7/17 and had my share of problems, but was willing to live with the horizontal lines if not an issue, but hoped maybe a replacement eventually. With this news, how could I not have the issue fixed with the latest revision, especially knowing I only have a 90 day warranty.

Here's a list of issues from my 1st refurbished March A01:
  • Randomly going blank, after sleep, which I then disabled, but still happened after manually turning it off and coming back hours later. Power button would also not work to fix it.
  • Once half the screen turned to random pixels, power button didn't work.
  • Menu controls and power button locked nearly all the time
  • Once the HDMI input icon on upper left never went away until restarting
  • Tested a $20 miniDP cable, monitor would power on, PC would see it and let me set resolution, but monitor never received input. Luckily, HDMI on Radeon 7770 worked at native-res
  • Horizontal scanlines on bottom left. Luckily, not noticeable unless I leaned in, but hadn't done any real work to know if it could be a problem.

Replacement arrived quickly and was a Feb A01, earlier build. 90% of the issues went away. Power button and menu controls work 95% of the time now. Really haven't had any blank screen issues or random artifacts. The same miniDP cable now wouldn't let the monitor even power on when connected. Horizontal lines still there.

Recently, Dell finally sent me the correct cables for the refurbished unit, Dual-link DVI, MiniDP to DP and USB 3.0. The MiniDP to DP worked perfectly finally, even during bios. Originally I was given a singe-link DVI, VGA and USB 2.0.

Last edited:
Guys, I had some banding issues with my current u3011 (anyone play Skyrim? does the smoke in the Loading Screen just destroy the gradients on your screens as well?), so I asked for a replacement.

They sent me an u3014 and explained that the u3011 is not being manufactured anymore.

I received the u3014 today and right now I'm sitting here with both of them next to each other. I color calibrated the u3014 to make sure it is showing its best potential color/values (with Xrite color calibration tool).

- u3014 has corner backlight bleeds (lower left and right corner, slightly on both top corners as well)

- u3014 has worse viewing angle. At least that's what i think is happening, when i step to the side (about 2 feet) of the monitor, it gets brighter and hazier (like a laptop, not as bad but very noticable) Are all u3014's like this? Because the u3011 stays solid, way better viewing angles.

- u3014 displays text way better, its clearer and crisper

- Gaming seems the same on both, maybe i need to play faster FPS games for the sake of better comparison ( i tried Borderlands and Portal 2 already)

SO I am returning the u3014 obviously cause of the backlight bleed (2 huuuge spots on bottom right and left corners...also green tint in the right corner). BUT I am still curious, am I being nitpicky? Receiving an u3014 in replacement of my current u3011 sounds like an excellent exchange in theory, since the u3014 is supposedly an UPGRADE right?

Thanks for any input!

They are shipping replacement A03 monitors out right now and if I were you I would ask for a replacement of your monitor Verk. It's in my opinion a great monitor you just need to get the right one

1-3014 has worse viewing angle.

3- u3014 displays text way better, its clearer and crisper

3- Gaming seems the same on both, maybe i need to play faster FPS games for the sake of better comparison ( i tried Borderlands and Portal 2 already)

4-Since the u3014 is supposedly an UPGRADE right?

1-GB-LED back-lit displays have worse viewing angles & more pronounced glow

2-The 3014 uses LG's new semi-glossy coating while all matte 30" CCFL back-lit monitors use LG's old, grainy matte coating

3-The 3014's motion should look clearer due to the faster pixel response times. but it suffers from overshoot ghosting (halos forming around moving objects). Info 3014 pixel response times vs. Achieva Shimian

4-Both are rip offs & are easily embarrassed by 300$ 1440p models from ebay, as to which one is better, well it depends on your perception of how each handles motion & if you value the 3014's clarity over the 3011's viewing angles.

You can get the Crossover 30X-P Driver from ebay with a square trade warranty if you want a wide gamut (=over-saturated & inaccurate colors for consumer media) 30". Read more here

or spend 1500$ on the Lenovo LT305P, doubt either the Crossover or Lenovo have as many issues as the Dell since Dell monitors typically have the most QC issues, including "exclusive," ones.

Last edited:
They are shipping replacement A03 monitors out right now and if I were you I would ask for a replacement of your monitor Verk. It's in my opinion a great monitor you just need to get the right one

It says A03 is only available for some service stocks and won't be available new until at least October.

I wouldn't get one until October, and only from Dell Direct UK as they are obligated to send only the very latest revision.
Amazon are probably still sending A01's going by the bad reviews.

NCX, Thanks for the input. Yeah I think I'm gonna stick with my u3011. I work with Digital imagery in Photoshop and Illustrator, and so far Dell u3011 has performed but it still has that banding issue...I was told that it could be a GPU issue, so I'm gonna double check.

Too bad though, would've been nice having a newer monitor...but hey, quality comes first.

yeah I received a refurbished A03, The colors don't match with my other monitor. It is a serious problem which I do not know how to fix.

Dell Canada has shipped my u3014 today and should receive it tomorrow.
The monitor will go back to Dell if the revision is not A03.

Back