Dell U3014 unboxing :)

The ugly: the scanline pattern described here http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19502072.aspx ... it was so annoying that even on movies shot at higher resolutions like 1440p or 2.7k shot on hero3 looked like interlaced content in the lower left corner ... this is the main reason i sent it back ... the ips glow i could leave with , even the erratic functionality of the menu ,input detection and other small glitches...

So the question is ... did the scanline pattern issue got resolved on the a02 rev ? or can it be resolved? if so i am considering a new buy .. otherwise is not worth it in my opinion .. unless you are at least 1m away from the display where the effect is no longer visible ( though i want a 30inch display to stay up close and have more headroom for palletes and other interface elements that clutter my screen )

my u3014 does not have the scanline issue. This made me think either DELL has a QC problem with their assembly line or LG has consistency issue with their panels.

Dell confirmed that the scan line issue is the one thing they fixed with a02. You can find more info on the dell link I posted on the previous page.

Dell confirmed that the scan line issue is the one thing they fixed with a02. You can find more info on the dell link I posted on the previous page.

And we can just call Dell and ask for a exchange to revision a02? Even having the monitor for longer than 1 month after the purchase?

Last edited:
I think what usually happens is once A02 is released you can call dell for an exchange but it will be a refurbished monitor because its been past 21 days. Since these monitors have not been released for very long a refurbished one should be pretty much new anyway.

I thought that even in the first 21 days Dell was sending refurbished ones.
So in those first days, they send you brand new monitors?
Good to know.

That's the way it worked a couple years ago you may want to ask them to be 100% sure.

I just got my U3014, what is the best way to test for all the issues people are describing?

I want to make sure:

1. I calibrate it correctly
- my display has a yellowish tint and trying to not spend +$200 on a hardware calibration
2. There are no scanline issues
- I cant see any when I did the face test (http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19502072.aspx
3. No dead pixels
- Can't seem to find any
4. Whatever else I should test for.
- please help
So far it seems that there is a slight yellowish tint, and the screen flickers when changing temperatures (this is fixed turning off smart video enhance.

These are the photos of the different colors. I am not sure yet how to test for the scanline issues seen. The monitor is a Rev 1 Manufactured in March 2013
eGVlF1Y.jpg

V0hufkz.jpg

cHFdjPL.jpg

uCrJT4r.jpg

b3wMtxc.jpg

Last edited:
Smart Video Enhance is only supposed to be able to be turned off in Rev. A02 which is what fixes the scan line issue. Are you sure you do not have an A02?

Smart Video Enhance is only supposed to be able to be turned off in Rev. A02 which is what fixes the scan line issue. Are you sure you do not have an A02?

It says REV A01 Manufactured date: Mar 2013

I am still trying to get the colors spot on.

What Rev A02 does is to set Smart Video Enhance mode to Off as a default instead the current On mode (which you can still manually turn off by the way).
And where did you read that Smart Video Enhance is causing the scan line issues?
Not all A01s have the scan line issue.

Dell said so on the forum link I posted on the previous page.
You sure about that? That the smart video enhance set to ON is causing the scan line issue?
I read through the link previously and no where does it state that the smart video enhance is causing the scan line issue.

You sure about that? That the smart video enhance set to ON is causing the scan line issue?
I read through the link previously and no where does it state that the smart video enhance is causing the scan line issue.
Dell said A02 fixes the scanning issue and sets the Smart Video Enhance mode to Off as a default. One may or may not have anything to do with the other.

Dell said A02 fixes the scanning issue and sets the Smart Video Enhance mode to Off as a default. One may or may not have anything to do with the other.
My point precisely.
The smart video enhance function is not the cause of the scan lines issue.

Well, don't know what to do.
I received my 3rd monitor, and this one has slightly better uniformity, but has 2 stuck pixels together in the middle up of the screen.
Visible in all colors except black.

I've tryed the dead pixel tester as suggested here:
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19371224.aspx
http://www.dataproductservices.com/dpt

For 5 minutes and no luck.
I'll try it for 10 minutes, but i think is not working.

Should I keep the one with more uniformity but 2 stuck pixels together or the one with light bleed.

One thing that annoyed me is that I asked to send me a rev 02 monitor, or if not possible the one made later and they sended me a monitor from february, and the one i was wanting to replace was from march.

What have you guys done about calibrating your monitor? When I watch movies / video I see the IPS glow on both bottom corners, then it seems that there is a yellow tint / the colors are off in most modes.

Great unboxing thread.

Now I'm faced with a headache of whether this is a worthy upgrade over my U3011.

What have you guys done about calibrating your monitor? When I watch movies / video I see the IPS glow on both bottom corners, then it seems that there is a yellow tint / the colors are off in most modes.

There is an issue with seemingly all U3014s (at least the two that I tested and a professional from prad.de confirmed it for a third one) that make them biased towards green if the brightness is set below 40 (the worst setting being near 15). This makes the factory calibration useless when the brightness is set below 40. The issue is clearly visible to the naked eye if you look at a photo with some skin tones and play with the brightness setting at the same time: the more you approach 15, the more livid skin looks.

If this is indeed your issue, then you have two options:
- Set brightness above 40, or below 5 (strangely, extremely low brightness levels are fine);
- Or calibrate the monitor manually using your own sensor (note that if you want to use the hardware calibration feature, you have to be very careful because it will always calibrate at brightness 100).

Also note the following:
- If you want accurate results with video, you need to use the sRGB setting (and, as said above, don't set brightness between 5 and 40).
- You cannot "calibrate away" IPS glow.

Last edited:
So what do you all think of the height-adjustable stand that comes with those Dell monitors? I just got a U2412 and although the panel is fantastic, the stand is so wobbly - it just seems loose where the rotation mechanism is.

I have a U2412 and a U3014. Both have great stands, solid with no wobble. Might be a problem with your U2412.

I've been following this thread since before the U3014 was released and I'm starting to think I got pretty lucky with my panel. Got it the week it was released and thankfully no dead pixels or scan-line issue. I do have a little bit of glow in the bottom left and right corners when the screen is completely back and occasionally the monitor won't wake from sleep but I'm not going to risk swapping it for a refurb and potentially end up with something worse.

For a monitor that retails for $1799 here in Australia it's pretty disappointing that it's not 100%. I love my U2014 and figured it's big brother that cost 4 times as much would be just as excellent. I hope the issue of the monitor not waking can be fixed in the future.

Last edited:
Dell has this on sale for $1125 (use:RJ6T0D4489P6T3 ) and free shipping. Is this worth spending an extra $400 over a Viewsonic VP2770? I won't be using the wide gamut on the Dell...

Dell has this on sale for $1125 (use:RJ6T0D4489P6T3 ) and free shipping. Is this worth spending an extra $400 over a Viewsonic VP2770? I won't be using the wide gamut on the Dell...
No. I would not spend money on this monitor until Dell addresses the scan line issue (rev A03?).

Not a bad price in theory but worthless considering the issues that are known to plague the current revision.

But doesn't that $990 get you a monitor that's basically guaranteed to have problems? (scan-lines, light bleed) otherwise I would pay the $250 premium over a Viewsonic VP2770 in a heartbeat.

This definitely looks like inventory cleansing...

But doesn't that $990 get you a monitor that's basically guaranteed to have problems? (scan-lines, light bleed) otherwise I would pay the $250 premium over a Viewsonic VP2770 in a heartbeat.

This definitely looks like inventory cleansing...

Most definitely what it looks like. $510 cheaper though than normal is also pretty nice. Might be worth the risk.

Well, can't you technically buy this for $990 from Newegg and then send it in for replacement to Dell once the new revision comes out?

Well, can't you technically buy this for $990 from Newegg and then send it in for replacement to Dell once the new revision comes out?

Gave in and just bought it. We'll see!

If not (and a new revision does come out that fixes the problem), should be able to sell this on craigslist or eBay to make most of my money back if not break even (if this monitor has the problems people talk about).

Gave in and just bought it. We'll see!

If not (and a new revision does come out that fixes the problem), should be able to sell this on craigslist or eBay to make most of my money back if not break even (if this monitor has the problems people talk about).

Hopefully you get a problem-free panel.

I wonder, what's Dell's policy on replacements? Do they pay for both shipping the defective item and the replacement during the 3 year period?

I just got my replacement monitor, is there a way to tilt this screen into portrait mode? I unscrewed all the screws and it seems there is no way to flip the mount for portrait mode. Why in the world would they not make this functionality?

I bought a brand new U3014 a couple hours ago despite knowing all the possible issues because I find multiple monitor setups very tiring-jarring (I used to have 4 monitors years ago and used to run with 2 until today). I opted to go with a 30" 2560x1600. In my country only U3014 is available with those specs therefore I sort of 'had to' buy it. I bit the bullet and told myself "how bad can it be?". Very, it turned out.

My unit probably has each and every defect mentioned in various threads. Let's see:
- At the bottom left it has horizontal (and very annoying) lines until way past midpoint (see the issue here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1756669&highlight=u3014)
- Too much backlight bleed or IPS glow or whatever that is on the left and right bottom corners. Usually only noticeable during movies and such.
- Occasional image burn-in (this happens with my older IPS monitor too, I haven't done the research so I don't know whether this is an IPS panel 'feature')
- I cannot seem to find a good color setting. On normal settings the colors are way too saturated. Actually I love oversaturation, makes everything vivid but this is too much. To correct it I have to switch to sRGB mode, which in turn makes the color washed away and whites are a little bit yellowish.
- When compared to my older IPS monitor, scrolling of websites is jerkier. Whether this is due to the graphics card having to deal with a much higher res or input lag, I don't know. I am usually 'blind' towards input lag unless it is very noticeable, but I'm not sure.
- It has terrible RTC overshoot with black on grey texts. I didn't encounter the overshoot in other color combinations yet.

For me, the only positive things about this monitor are:
- 30" @2560x1600 is a beast (but every other monitor with the same specs is the same of course) and I don't have to fiddle with multiple monitors.
- The pixel density feels right.
And nope, there isn't a third item on this list.

Overall, I am shocked that such an expensive monitor can have so many problems.

I'm thinking about returning this one (duh). The problem is I don't know what to buy instead. I didn't want a 27" model with 2560x1440 (the size difference between 30" and 27 is very noticeable) but it seems I have no choice.

I bought a brand new U3014 a couple hours ago despite knowing all the possible issues because I find multiple monitor setups very tiring-jarring (I used to have 4 monitors years ago and used to run with 2 until today). I opted to go with a 30" 2560x1600. In my country only U3014 is available with those specs therefore I sort of 'had to' buy it. I bit the bullet and told myself "how bad can it be?". Very, it turned out.

My unit probably has each and every defect mentioned in various threads. Let's see:
- At the bottom left it has horizontal (and very annoying) lines until way past midpoint (see the issue here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1756669&highlight=u3014)
- Too much backlight bleed or IPS glow or whatever that is on the left and right bottom corners. Usually only noticeable during movies and such.
- Occasional image burn-in (this happens with my older IPS monitor too, I haven't done the research so I don't know whether this is an IPS panel 'feature')
- I cannot seem to find a good color setting. On normal settings the colors are way too saturated. Actually I love oversaturation, makes everything vivid but this is too much. To correct it I have to switch to sRGB mode, which in turn makes the color washed away and whites are a little bit yellowish.
- When compared to my older IPS monitor, scrolling of websites is jerkier. Whether this is due to the graphics card having to deal with a much higher res or input lag, I don't know. I am usually 'blind' towards input lag unless it is very noticeable, but I'm not sure.
- It has terrible RTC overshoot with black on grey texts. I didn't encounter the overshoot in other color combinations yet.

For me, the only positive things about this monitor are:
- 30" @2560x1600 is a beast (but every other monitor with the same specs is the same of course) and I don't have to fiddle with multiple monitors.
- The pixel density feels right.
And nope, there isn't a third item on this list.

Overall, I am shocked that such an expensive monitor can have so many problems.

I'm thinking about returning this one (duh). The problem is I don't know what to buy instead. I didn't want a 27" model with 2560x1440 (the size difference between 30" and 27 is very noticeable) but it seems I have no choice.

I'm in the same boat as you. I wanted the real estate of a 30" 1600p monitor and was willing to spend a $1000 on it, but none of the current 30" are problem-free enough for me to justify paying that much. So I opted for a 27" instead, though most of these have problems too (the Viewsonic VP2770 is the least problematic). So right now I'm trying to decide between buying a 27" now or wait for the quality of 30" to increase and for the price to decrease (which is inevitable with 4Ks and OLED trickling in).

I'm in the same boat as you. I wanted the real estate of a 30" 1600p monitor and was willing to spend a $1000 on it, but none of the current 30" are problem-free enough for me to justify paying that much. So I opted for a 27" instead, though most of these have problems too (the Viewsonic VP2770 is the least problematic). So right now I'm trying to decide between buying a 27" now or wait for the quality of 30" to increase and for the price to decrease (which is inevitable with 4Ks and OLED trickling in).

Yeah I had a similar dilemma but I was waiting nearly for one year to buy a new and a big monitor. It will be many months before the quality of 30"s to increase, if at all. Prices do not decrease that much with these either. That's why I bought mine now. Otherwise I would have to wait for a long time. But seeing the quality of this monitor (or lack thereof) I don't know what to do. AFAIK the 27"s are not very stellar either. At least they are much more affordable when compared to 30"s.

4Ks are very tempting but they are very very expensive as you know.

Yeah I figure if we wait and not buy anything now, we would be waiting for at least a year before the quality/prices change.

Yes theyll pay for it back and forth. I sent in a 1-2 year old u3011 to get a newer revision casue of a problem with sRGB mode. It took 3-4 times for them to finally get me the correct revision. In the mean time I had 3 of them at my house in boxes waiting to ship back. Most of the shipping is 1-2 day shipping to, that has got to be expensive for them.

Hopefully you get a problem-free panel.

I wonder, what's Dell's policy on replacements? Do they pay for both shipping the defective item and the replacement during the 3 year period?

Well I have already the 4th monitor.
This one seems to be fine.
Scanlines are not noticeable.
Normal IPS glow, no dead pixels, responsive menu, autopower-off working.

Yesterday I noticed that in complete white background the monitor was having one strange "semi-circle aura" on the center-bottom of the screen.
I applyed "uniformity compensation" and it worked great.

My unit is made in April 2013.

Has anyone actually received a Rev A02 version of the U3014? Chris-M on Dell forums seemed to indicate it was released awhile ago.

Back