Dell U3014 unboxing :)

I just got my U3011 -- yes, U3011 --- from Amazon for 1099 USD + sales tax and set it up an hour ago. No dead or stuck pixels as far as I can tell with UDPixel. The screen looked huge at first, but when I got to the desktop ,the feeling of screen real estate isn't at all too much. It feels fairly natural -- like you moved into a bigger home.

There is a smell -- I hope that's temporary "breaking in" period.

The black level is MUCH blacker than my HP ZR24W, on which black has a blueish-grey glow. The heat generated doesn't feel greater than my 24" monitor when I put my hand up to it.

The screen is sparkly, though, but the matte matches exactly my ZR24W.

I wanted the U3014, but the semi-gloss and IPS edges glow were question marks at the time, and the consumer reviews weren't completely in, and those posted were mixed.

The text seems a bit small, and seems as if it fades melts into the background - i suppose that's the coating -- maybe I can experiment with the size.

I hope I made the right choice, though I wish I had both monitors side by side to compare myself directly to choose the one I prefer better.

You mean that glorius electronic silicon smell of newness? You only get that once.

See for me with 2 U3011s, having a third U3011 just pleases my OCD and as well can open to Surround gaming if I want to attempt it... ...heaven knows I have enough steam games to try.

You mean that glorius electronic silicon smell of newness? You only get that once.

See for me with 2 U3011s, having a third U3011 just pleases my OCD and as well can open to Surround gaming if I want to attempt it... ...heaven knows I have enough steam games to try.

Have fun with your new sauna :)
I also have 2 older 30" from dell and I cant turn both of them on for a while without using the air conditioner or the room temperature rise very quickly. I cant even imagine using 3 of them. That's why I was tempted to switch with the u3014 with their cooler led backlight but I' ll wait for a few revision before switching seeing the issues that people are experiencing at the moment.

Thought I'll provide another update..

So, I got myself another U3014 after selling off my U3011 :D
As the Dell provided miniDP to DP cable is quite short (1.8m), I bought a 2m DP to DP cable and used the DP to miniDP adapter that came with my MSI 7950.

Turns out the U3014 is rather sensitive to the DisplayPort cable being used...
Here's why:

So far, I have tried a 2m DP to DP cable, a 3m DP to DP cable and a 3m DP to miniDP cable with varying degrees of success.

Quality wise, the 2m DP to DP cable was the lousiest followed by the 3m DP to DP cable and then the 3m DP to miniDP cable.

Observations with various cables:

2m DP to DP cable manufactured by Copartner:
(connected with DP to miniDP adapter to graphics card)
Image distortion seen shortly after plugging in.
After pressing the power button on the monitor to turn it off, the monitor will not turn on again by pressing the power button. DP cable has to be disconnected before monitor will turn on via power button.

3m DP to DP cable manufactured by Pak Heng:
(connected with DP to miniDP adapter to graphics card)
Image distortion occurs randomly.
After pressing the power button on the monitor to turn it off, the monitor will not turn on again by pressing the power button. DP cable has to be disconnected before monitor will turn on via power button.
Was able to split open the DP connector casing and noted that pin 20 is not connected with any wires.

3m DP to miniDP cable manufactured by Pak Heng:
No image distortion after long periods of usage.
However, after pressing the power button on the monitor to turn it off, the monitor will not turn on again by pressing the power button. DP cable has to be disconnected before monitor will turn on via power button.

(Cable manufacturer can be identified by reading the printing on the cable)

I have tried the 2 DP to DP cables on a Dell U2713HM with the DP to miniDP adapter and the monitor worked fine with both cables with no image distortion. The U2713HM was also able to power off and on via the power button with no issues.

Tried the DP to miniDP adapter with the Dell supplied DP to miniDP cable and the U3014 powers off and on with no problems and no image distortion. This shows that the DP to miniDP adapter does not cause any issues.

Finally, I decided to purchase some DP to DP cables from Accell as they are the only company with DisplayPort certified cables so far.

Order them both from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CD1FB3A/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0098HVXVQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Observations with Accell cables manufactured by Bizlink:
Both 2m and 3m DP to DP cables (connected via DP to miniDP adapter to graphics card) worked very well with the U3014.
The U3014 was able to power off and on again without any issues and had no image distortion.

Hope this helps anyone out there who needs to use a longer DP cable :)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for the thorough update Zetc! We've just been blessed with a decent (for once) price drop promo on Dell AUS website so i'm seriously thinking of dropping in. All these issues don't give me any confidence at all but given the sizable price drop (i guess they aren't selling as many seems they are so over priced and under 'giving' for the alleged quality this thing is meant to be) and my patience wearing out due to my wait for a 30, i think i'll try.

I'll make sure i try different cables if i have any weird issues should i chime in!

Over here it will run you 1800 AUD but atm with a 30% off deal its going for 1260 AUD. IMO... that's what it should have been from the release. But obviously they've got plenty of markup on it so they had to lower it substantially to get people to bite.

Here it's €1060 at best or AUD 1400

But as long as there are problems that even Dell says aren't fixed yet... I'm not even thinking of buying.

My 3007WFP-HC still runs nice, but something that uses less energy and has a DP input would be nice.

Yeah i hear ya on the problems. I'm really not wanting to given all the issues. But i'm in serious need of another screen. Hopefully it'll rock up by the weekend and i can start my journey into the unknown, painful world of trying to return a behemoth package! (hopefully not).

As a side question... has anyone here tried capture PS3 via HDMI lately? I heard they *might* have lifted the HDCP on the gaming side but cant find any solid info and can't try as my 2707 doesnt have HDMI so i cant set all my shit up to try! lol doh!

Just a quick note to MacBook users who are connecting to this monitor via Thunderbolt / DisplayPort.

It seems that the input is mistakenly assumed to be YPbPr instead of RGB, which causes the display output from a MacBook (well, at least my rMBP 15") to be terrible.

The following link was invaluable in solving the issue: http://ireckon.net/2013/03/force-rg...ix-the-picture-quality-of-an-external-monitor

Cliff Notes:

1. Download http://embdev.net/attachment/168316/patch-edid.rb (Ruby script)
  2. Run "ruby patch-edid.rb" - this should create a folder like "DisplayVendorID-10ac"
  3. Copy it to /System/Library/Displays/Overrides

I just installed both of my new U3014's last night, I'm getting an occasional flicker on the left one- otherwise really fantastic. (Next to my old U3011; new video card will have all 3 running on my Precision T7500. Another writeup is forthcoming on that :) )

Click for super-big image.

I've got a new Quadro K5000 showing up on Tuesday that should fix it; I've had problems with my current FX4800 on my U3011 and 2708. Next step is cables, and then after that RMA.

jen4950,

Whats this flicker you speak of? Trying to ascertain if its what i'm seeing. Sometimes the screen just seems to "shimmer" for no apparent reason. Mostly noticeable with white being displayed but seems to be the whole screen that is doing it.

For those interested, Dell's Canada is currently selling the u3014 for $1,299.

Unfortunately, no sight of revision A02 for now which may fix the issues that you are referring to.
At least, Dell has publicly admitted this issue.

Hi ^^
This is how my U3014 looks like.

First one with normal room illumination, and the second in complete darkness.

2ccuywk.jpg

2w6z9e1.jpg

I must admint that the IPS glow in the down sides its not disturbing to me, as I assume that happens in all IPS panels.

The ones I have on the top-left corner are the ones annoying me.

I can notice it only with completely black backgroud.
Not annoying while browsing, gaming, not annoying in real world.

Uniformity is really great in normal use.

I had a Panasonic LED IPS Hdtv couple of years ago, and that screen's glow was noticeable even in realworld situations.

If I lower the brightness a bit, its less noticeable in black background (defalut brightness might burn my retinas lol).

Dont know what to do.
Should I enter in the madness of returning and testing screens for weeks?

What would you do (U3014 owner)? Is it acceptable?

P.s: White is really white, no yellowish colors

Thanks

Can't tell how bad it really is from the photo due to the ISO settings being bumped up..
If you decide to get it changed, you'll probably need to provide Dell with a better photo to show why an exchange is warranted.

The picture has been made with the camera of the iphone 5 @ default, no hdr.
I have a good camera. What ISO should I use? And about the screen? 50% brightness and 50% contrast?

I get the most from the first post:
"Color comparison at 50% brightness and contrast (f2.0, ISO 100, exposure bias: 0 step):
U3011 (Left) | U3014 (Right)
"

The less I can make is ISO 120, and I dont know where to modify exposure bias :confused:

Last edited:
well, just try different settings till what you get in the photo is as close as what you see visually.

It looks pretty similar to mine, only visible on black backgrounds. I think it's pretty common with 30 inch IPS panels.

see if this is IPS glow or bleeding. move your eyes center to the spot that are brighter, if the brightness is no longer seen, then it is IPS glow, otherwise bad case of bleeding.

My 3014 has no bleeding but IPS glow is strong.

I have made some pics with the proper camera @ f2.0, ISO 400, exposure bias: 0.

Here they are:

White
2zhks9v.jpg

Red
30ubqcx.jpg

Green
14mb7za.jpg

Blue
2r20nqb.jpg

Close, front
jh3dqr.jpg

Far1, front
10ntl38.jpg

Far2, front
2pqopdz.jpg

Left-UP corner
34y32mx.jpg

Monitor is with Bright 30%, Contrast 60% (might make black more intense)
Yeah, it's only visible in black backgrounds.

All of them dissapear if I move the head to the center of the glow focus, the one that costs more to make dissapear by centering the head is the top-left corner (that one might be a bit of bleed, but I see it's looking pretty similar to your pics).

I mean THIS ONE:
P1040768_zps47e9dec6.jpg

Should I keep it or exchange and probably end up getting another with the same but with dead / stuck pixels and yelowish screen?
Another doubt is: will they send me a refurbished one, or a new one if I ask for a replacement?

Last edited:
All of them dissapear if I move the head to the center of the glow focus, the one that costs more to make dissapear by centering the head is the top-left corner (that one might be a bit of bleed, but I see it's looking pretty similar to your pics).

If it disappears when you center your eyes to the bright spot, then its probably IPS glow. Camera shot tends to exaggerate the issue when taken in dim light, I guess your monitor does not seems as bad the photo when viewing in normal angles in real life. Nonetheless, U3014 has the worst IPS glow among all the IPS monitors I have seen.

From your description and your photos, the top left corners seems to have 2 spots that are bleeding. the rest seems like IPS glow.

Replacement monitor's here.
Comparison pics:

nld402.jpg

Left: First unit Right: Replacement

Two more:
First unit
5mxpj8.jpg

Replacement
27xklyv.jpg

No bleeding in the replacement unit. Also more uniformity.
Will send back "first unit".

I bit the bullet and bought the 30" Dell U3014 for $999 from newegg. Do you guys know if it is possible to run 2 23" (1920x1080 monitors, so that I can put the Dell U3014 in the center for gaming and then utilize the 2 23" monitors for work.

Would there be issues with resolution?

So at the end the U3014 is not better than the U3011 image quality wise. Damn, will see how it looks when the monitor comes in and figure it out I guess.

Last edited:
I've just started testing the U3014 RevA01 and it's not looking good.

Initial observations:
-Bad horizontal contrast shift (seems related to IPS glow problem in lower corners). I've seen TN screens with better viewing angles. e.g. black bar is black in the middle but quickly goes grey as it goes to the edges. :(
-IPS glow with green tint, mainly in the lower corners :(
-small row of dead pixels in the corner and at least 2 more dead pixels:( I thought these were grade-A screens? Hazro uses grade-B.
-blurry text
-Game mode has crushed blacks and washed out colors :(

Compared to my existing 27" Hazro HZ27WC the huge area of "glow" seems a serious fault, text is noticeably blurrier, black level isn't as good and it takes time to turn on/off (hazro is instant) which defeats the whole point of LEDs over CCFL which need time to warm up.

Dead pixels:

u3014pixels.jpg

Backlight bleed test: (not exaggerated by camera, it's so bad that you can see shift in contrast as you look horizontally even while viewing brightly lit webpages)

u3014black.jpg

More:
http://imageshack.us/g/1/10173792/

Last edited:
initial reviews of the performance / comparing of this monitor were looking good.

But now that people have sat down and actually started using it / noticing the annoying things... :( (and Dell is saying some of the bad stuff is intended?!)

Screw it. Will have to find a U3011 sometime.

You guys have to stay away from this monitor, and try not to be tempted into buying this until Dell iron out all the issues from this monitor. Quality control seems suspicious too. I am speaking as a owner of u3014, and even if you managed to get a good panel, (no dead, bright pixels, no bleeding), there will still be other annoying things such as IPS glow, buttons become unresponsive, screen occasionally fails to come out of power save mode.

...until Dell iron out all the issues from this monitor.
...even if you managed to get a good panel, (no dead, bright pixels, no bleeding), there will still be other annoying things such as IPS glow...

How long roughly will it take Dell to fix the big problems: the grid line issue and the "IPS glow" in the lower corners issue? :confused:

Does REV02 fix anything image quality related or are we talking REV03+ ?

I think the "IPS glow" is just massive backlight bleed.:rolleyes:

This is why I'd never buy an IPS monitor again. So glad I got rid of my 3007 for a 120hz TN when I see pics like these. I'd rather the bad viewing angles than looking at that glow.

I got this monitor as well but sent it back and most likely will get a refund.

The good: - colorwise i was blown away ( at least compared to my old dell 2408wfp ) at least as far as saturation goes ... factory calibrated profiles that on 50-50 brightness contrast are decent enough

The bad: - panel ips glow ... i thought it was backlight bleed but after some research looked more like IPS glow ... though it was not all that bad for daily use (mine was a bit larger/annoying in the lower right corner even on mid gray images it was visible but still usable as i tend to bring the area of interest where i work on images in the center anyhow)

The ugly: the scanline pattern described here http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19502072.aspx ... it was so annoying that even on movies shot at higher resolutions like 1440p or 2.7k shot on hero3 looked like interlaced content in the lower left corner ... this is the main reason i sent it back ... the ips glow i could leave with , even the erratic functionality of the menu ,input detection and other small glitches...

So the question is ... did the scanline pattern issue got resolved on the a02 rev ? or can it be resolved? if so i am considering a new buy .. otherwise is not worth it in my opinion .. unless you are at least 1m away from the display where the effect is no longer visible ( though i want a 30inch display to stay up close and have more headroom for palletes and other interface elements that clutter my screen )

Also is the scanline issue plaguing the 27 version of the dells as well? i could not find something similar on some quick searches.

How long roughly will it take Dell to fix the big problems: the grid line issue and the "IPS glow" in the lower corners issue? :confused:

That Glow has been a problem on 30" IPS screens since 2004. From the looks of things, it will be fixed when we get OLED monitors in 2020.

Back