Dell U3014 unboxing :)

I just got my U3014. I am pleased to announce that this monitor natively supports a wide range of refresh rates, including 50 Hz, 48 Hz and even 24 Hz, natively, without frame drops, repeats nor tearing, as tested using various motion test patterns. That's great news!

Overall I got what I expected after reading the review from TFT Central. I am, however, disappointed by the significant amounts of "IPS glow" the monitor exhibits. It is very noticeable when watching videos on dark scenes. Apparently this is to be expected with 30" IPS monitors because of the large view angle, but I nevertheless find it quite distracting. Judging from the photos in this topic it seems the U3011 had less IPS glow, in which case it's an unfortunate regression.

Does this monitor also support a 2560x1440 resolution with black bars -- I did a quick check last night and it didn't appear so.

It does support 2560x1440 with black bars. You might, however, need to force it (using e.g. "custom resolutions" if you have a NVidia card).

Just got this monitor yesterday and have not yet explored every functionality. A few points:
I agree with the other poster that the most annoying thing is the IPS glow. However, comparing the center 24" with my previous u2410, the IPS glow is not worse on this 30", so I guess this is the inherent effect on 30" monitor.
The backlight seems to be uneven across the screen, but it may be placebo effect and I lack equipement to test it.
There is definitely noticeable ghosting when you scroll the pages too fast, I test it on the main forum page of [H] forum http://hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78. It is like there is this motion blur thing, which I do not experience on my company's 24" TN panel. This effect is noticeable on 24" DEL U2410 too, but is worse on this monitor. If you are into gaming, this motion blur effect will definitely affect your gameplay. I find this to be annoying in Crysis 3 but does not bother me in Assassin's Creed 3.
I can feel a slight difference between the input lag between gaming and sRGB mode. The colors on the gaming mode is inaccurate but much better than gaming mode on u2410. Input lag on gaming mode is near non existence, same as TN panel.
Image quality is very good, same goes for my u2410, but with less agressive AG coating.

Overall, I am ok with this purchase, not totally pleased considering the price/performance, but has no regret buying this.

I got my U3014 yesterday too but haven't noticed the IPS glow or the motion blur thing but I'm used to three HP ZR24W's which were also IPS. The thing that I noticed is that the white's aren't as "white" as on the HP's. I think the preset mode Color Temperature set to 7500 is probably the closest setting to real whites. Multimedia preset is also pretty close. The U3014 has a slight yellowish tint in the other modes. Also, the brightness level of 50 on the Dell matches around 30 on my new HP's.

I've setup my displays as PLP aligned at the top with one of the HP's daisychained off from the Displayport and the other off from the DVI so that SLI is an available option. Unfortunately, the HP's are about 3/8" higher than the highest setting of the Dell; the bottom of the HP's is about 4 inches lower than the Dell. 1200x1920 is a pretty neat format for web browsing though; 1200x1600 might be ideal for matching the displays up but the extra 320 pixels are useful. The mismatch pixels aren't a real issue if your not overlapping windows over multiple monitors.

The text on the U3014 is smaller than on my 24 inch screens but is still readable without having to adjust the font but I think the smaller 27 inch 2560x1440 would have been more challenging in this regard.

One of the things I've found that is a minor irritation are the buttons on the right. They aren't really buttons but are simply touch sensitive areas. The bottom one that brings up the menu activates by turning the light on just by touching it with my index finger but doesn't actually perform any actions until I put my thumb on it. The other buttons seem fine with the index finger. I think I would have preferred real buttons. Have any of you found the bottom button more "picky" than the other ones?

With respect to gaming, the 30" really does seem to make games more immersive. I haven't tested it too much yet but from the little bit that I did, I didn't really miss the 3-monitor surround/eyefinity. The monitor is large enough that you can move the camera out and pick up some of the field of view that I was getting with the extra monitors. The frame rate also seemed to go up some with just one large monitor versus three smaller ones.

I have not played with those buttons too much but from my memory, I find the sensitivity of the buttons just fine. One of the problem with my old U2410 monitor is that when I touch the top button, the lower buttons may be activated as i move closer to the top button with the bottom up motion, so it may be possible that the DELL has designed the lower buttons to have lower sensitivity. I prefer the touch buttons over to the physical ones as I find the clicky sounds annoying.

Yes, I also feel it has a slight(very slight) yellow tint but not too much of a big deal. But then I have gotten used to the much worse white on u2410 where there is a gradient pinkish to greenish tint on white across the screen.

White.
Blinking White on standby.

gave me an idea, it would be nifty if the on power led could be used as a visual reference for eyeballing calibration.

(in future models where the led could be bigger and brighter when the calibration adjustments on the osd are visible.)

I got my U3014 yesterday too but haven't noticed the IPS glow or the motion blur thing but I'm used to three HP ZR24W's which were also IPS. The thing that I noticed is that the white's aren't as "white" as on the HP's. I think the preset mode Color Temperature set to 7500 is probably the closest setting to real whites. Multimedia preset is also pretty close. The U3014 has a slight yellowish tint in the other modes. Also, the brightness level of 50 on the Dell matches around 30 on my new HP's.

I've setup my displays as PLP aligned at the top with one of the HP's daisychained off from the Displayport and the other off from the DVI so that SLI is an available option. Unfortunately, the HP's are about 3/8" higher than the highest setting of the Dell; the bottom of the HP's is about 4 inches lower than the Dell. 1200x1920 is a pretty neat format for web browsing though; 1200x1600 might be ideal for matching the displays up but the extra 320 pixels are useful. The mismatch pixels aren't a real issue if your not overlapping windows over multiple monitors.

The text on the U3014 is smaller than on my 24 inch screens but is still readable without having to adjust the font but I think the smaller 27 inch 2560x1440 would have been more challenging in this regard.

One of the things I've found that is a minor irritation are the buttons on the right. They aren't really buttons but are simply touch sensitive areas. The bottom one that brings up the menu activates by turning the light on just by touching it with my index finger but doesn't actually perform any actions until I put my thumb on it. The other buttons seem fine with the index finger. I think I would have preferred real buttons. Have any of you found the bottom button more "picky" than the other ones?

With respect to gaming, the 30" really does seem to make games more immersive. I haven't tested it too much yet but from the little bit that I did, I didn't really miss the 3-monitor surround/eyefinity. The monitor is large enough that you can move the camera out and pick up some of the field of view that I was getting with the extra monitors. The frame rate also seemed to go up some with just one large monitor versus three smaller ones.

Yup, I find that the color temperature of 7500 is the closest setting to real whites too.
The sensitivity of all the buttons seem to be the same. I think one possible explanation for what you are experiencing could be due to the angle at which your index finger touches the bottom button? Something like a parallax error due to where your eyes see your finger touching the button.

I prefer the touch sensitive buttons over actual buttons because actual buttons have a finite number of button presses before they fail. I once had to RMA a Dell 2407-HC because the power button no longer worked after 3 years of pressing it on and off daily.

gave me an idea, it would be nifty if the on power led could be used as a visual reference for eyeballing calibration.

(in future models where the led could be bigger and brighter when the calibration adjustments on the osd are visible.)
That would probably make the power circuitry more complex no?

Does someone have a specific feedback when using this monitor for coding?

+8 hours/day looking at a screen makes quality crucial!

Thanks.

I have no problems using the U3014 for reading text for that amount of time. Breaks in between for your eyes are of course advisable.
It also depends on what monitor you are currently using as that would form the basis of your personal benchmark.

For me, coming from a Dell 2407-HC to a Dell U3011 (the jump in screen estate was fantastic) and finally to a Dell U3014 (better AG coating and less heat (especially so in a tropical climate!)). I definitely like the U3014.

No idea about other monitor brands as I use Dell monitors both at home and at work.

That would probably make the power circuitry more complex no?

i doubt it would be much more complex than my current dell's power leds. (with an orange led for off, and a blue led for on.)

this was all under the assumption that that they could make a white led (and casing) that wouldnt change its light output after a decade.
and had nothing to do with auto calibration, only a close consistent reference for the user to eyeball.

Burn in retention? That sounds a little paranoid. That's not the norm and you can always return or RMA it, every monitor on the planet has a small percentage chance to have issues out of the box. It can happen with any monitor.

But image retention definitely would not be the norm unless you had a defective unit. If you're second guessing yourself this much just buy a cheaper smaller monitor.

Last edited:
I have image retention on the "IPS" screen on my X220. Drives me INSANE. Would be a deal breaker if these 30"ers exhibited that too.

Why no one has made a PVA-based 30" screen ... I have no idea.

Hem… I just noticed that on the model I received the Serial Number on the back of the monitor does not match the serial number on the "PremierColor Calibration Factory Report" document… is there anyone in the same situation?

The serial number of my box matches the one on the document, but not the monitor… I'm wondering if I just got screwed somehow (I ordered it from an Amazon vendor, not directly from Dell). I'm wondering if this might be related to the seemingly high amounts of IPS glow I'm getting…

The serial number of my box matches the one on the document, but not the monitor… I'm wondering if I just got screwed somehow (I ordered it from an Amazon vendor, not directly from Dell).

So… I ordered another U3014 just to be sure (this time from Amazon directly), with the intention of returning one of the two. Sure enough, the second one had the exact same issue (same serial number on box and calibration report, but different on the monitor itself). Which makes it highly likely that this is normal and to be expected.

What should have convinced me is that the "service tag", which, as far as I know, is unique, is the same between the box and the monitor. Which basically proves that the box and the monitor indeed match, since the service tag and serial number are printed on the very same labels. By way of transitivity, that probably also means that the factory calibration report matches the monitor because the serial number on the report matches the box label.

So everything seem to be just fine after all.

The serial number on mine matches. Box, report and monitor all match.

Are you sure? That's really strange considering I got two U3014 from two different vendors that have different serial numbers between the box/report and the monitor, yet they have matching service tags between box and monitor.

Hi all. I bought a 3011 last year and I HATED the anti-glare coating and returned it. I came from a "super clear" Samsung 27" 120hz monitor so I really felt the impact of the 3G hard coat. My question is how much clearer is the new coating on the 3014 ? Is it just a little clearer or is it a major difference ?

So… I ordered another U3014 just to be sure (this time from Amazon directly), with the intention of returning one of the two. Sure enough, the second one had the exact same issue (same serial number on box and calibration report, but different on the monitor itself). Which makes it highly likely that this is normal and to be expected.

What should have convinced me is that the "service tag", which, as far as I know, is unique, is the same between the box and the monitor. Which basically proves that the box and the monitor indeed match, since the service tag and serial number are printed on the very same labels. By way of transitivity, that probably also means that the factory calibration report matches the monitor because the serial number on the report matches the box label.

So everything seem to be just fine after all.

Are you sure? That's really strange considering I got two U3014 from two different vendors that have different serial numbers between the box/report and the monitor, yet they have matching service tags between box and monitor.

Just doubled checked, what you observed is correct.
What I noticed is that the last 3 sets of digits in the serial number on the report matches only the last 3 sets of digits in the serial number on the monitor and box.
Only realised this after I looked carefully at the serial numbers, only did a quick check previously.

Hi all. I bought a 3011 last year and I HATED the anti-glare coating and returned it. I came from a "super clear" Samsung 27" 120hz monitor so I really felt the impact of the 3G hard coat. My question is how much clearer is the new coating on the 3014 ? Is it just a little clearer or is it a major difference ?

It's definitely not at the same level of "clearness" as you would get on a glossy screen.
I never really found the AG on the 3011 to be a huge issue for me, the AG on the 3014 is a noticeable improvement if you read a lot of text.
Considering how much you disliked the AG on the 3011, you are definitely biased towards a clear glossy screen, so the 3014 still might not meet your expectations in this regard.

I have an odd request for any of you u3014 owners. When you hit the power button to turn the monitor on, how long does it take for the screen to actually show a picture (to turn on). No stopwatch needed, just looking for a good guestimate like one-one-thousand, etc.

Maybe 7 seconds.
I have an odd request for any of you u3014 owners. When you hit the power button to turn the monitor on, how long does it take for the screen to actually show a picture (to turn on). No stopwatch needed, just looking for a good guestimate like one-one-thousand, etc.

quite long. It already take 1 to 2 second before the first button LED to light up. But all IPS take a longer time to light up compared to TN panel.

Maybe 7 seconds.

seriously? I know that they take just a little while to come on, but 7 seconds?

So if you're in the habit of having your computer turn off the display after 'X' number of minutes, then you come back and touch the keyboard or mouse to have it turn back on, you'll be sitting there staring at a black screen for 7 seconds?

I've got an aging 30" cinema display that I'm looking to replace so I took a chance with a Korean monitor (Crossover). The panel itself on the Korean monitor is fine for what I'm using it for but it comes on after about 3 or 4 seconds where the cinema display that I've been using since about 2004-2005 is near instantaneous. You can guess that after being used to near instantaneous for so many years, having this wait time kind of gets on my nerves. I was just hoping to find something that was closer to the Cinema Display, or I'll just have to suck it up.

seriously? I know that they take just a little while to come on, but 7 seconds?

So if you're in the habit of having your computer turn off the display after 'X' number of minutes, then you come back and touch the keyboard or mouse to have it turn back on, you'll be sitting there staring at a black screen for 7 seconds?

I've got an aging 30" cinema display that I'm looking to replace so I took a chance with a Korean monitor (Crossover). The panel itself on the Korean monitor is fine for what I'm using it for but it comes on after about 3 or 4 seconds where the cinema display that I've been using since about 2004-2005 is near instantaneous. You can guess that after being used to near instantaneous for so many years, having this wait time kind of gets on my nerves. I was just hoping to find something that was closer to the Cinema Display, or I'll just have to suck it up.
First, you asked about how long it took to turn for the monitor to turn on after psychically pressing the power button (which obviously takes some time before anything is displayed).
Then you compare that timing with waking a monitor from sleep mode (which I am assuming you are talking about, since touching a keyboard or mouse doesn't psychically activate the power button).

I think you need to know what you are comparing.

First, you asked about how long it took to turn for the monitor to turn on after psychically pressing the power button (which obviously takes some time before anything is displayed).
Then you compare that timing with waking a monitor from sleep mode (which I am assuming you are talking about, since touching a keyboard or mouse doesn't psychically activate the power button).

I think you need to know what you are comparing.

I apologize for any confusion. What I was referring to in my second reply is when the computer turns the display off, not that the computer is asleep.

So just to clarify, in windows 7, if you go to the control panel -> Power Options -> Change when the computer sleeps (on the left side). There are 2 drop-downs there, one for putting the computer to sleep (which is not the one I was referring to) and one for "Turn off the display" (which is the one I'm interested in). What I was meaning is that the display is turned off by the O.S. but not that the computer is in sleep mode.

I worded it the way I did initially because I thought it would be easier for people to just physically turn it off and on rather than have someone go through the trouble of setting up the O.S. to turn it off and then wait for it and all that. I believed that they were the same, but now you're making me question whether they are. Any monitor that I have worked on, the times seem to be the same.

Would anyone be willing to clarify this point and test it out?

Thanks in advance for whoever tries it out.

I apologize for any confusion. What I was referring to in my second reply is when the computer turns the display off, not that the computer is asleep.

So just to clarify, in windows 7, if you go to the control panel -> Power Options -> Change when the computer sleeps (on the left side). There are 2 drop-downs there, one for putting the computer to sleep (which is not the one I was referring to) and one for "Turn off the display" (which is the one I'm interested in). What I was meaning is that the display is turned off by the O.S. but not that the computer is in sleep mode.

I worded it the way I did initially because I thought it would be easier for people to just physically turn it off and on rather than have someone go through the trouble of setting up the O.S. to turn it off and then wait for it and all that. I believed that they were the same, but now you're making me question whether they are. Any monitor that I have worked on, the times seem to be the same.

Would anyone be willing to clarify this point and test it out?

Thanks in advance for whoever tries it out.

Whether the computer goes to sleep or whether the computer turns off the display (monitor goes to sleep). They both have the same effect of making the monitor go into standby(sleep) mode.
The time taken for the monitor to display something from standby mode is a couple of seconds at most.

It takes about 2 seconds or less for the monitor to come out of sleep mode. My HP ZR24w's actually take slightly more time.

Sorry to necro this thread, but quick question: how is U3014 different from U3011?

I just got my U3011 -- yes, U3011 --- from Amazon for 1099 USD + sales tax and set it up an hour ago. No dead or stuck pixels as far as I can tell with UDPixel. The screen looked huge at first, but when I got to the desktop ,the feeling of screen real estate isn't at all too much. It feels fairly natural -- like you moved into a bigger home.

There is a smell -- I hope that's temporary "breaking in" period.

The black level is MUCH blacker than my HP ZR24W, on which black has a blueish-grey glow. The heat generated doesn't feel greater than my 24" monitor when I put my hand up to it.

The screen is sparkly, though, but the matte matches exactly my ZR24W.

I wanted the U3014, but the semi-gloss and IPS edges glow were question marks at the time, and the consumer reviews weren't completely in, and those posted were mixed.

The text seems a bit small, and seems as if it fades melts into the background - i suppose that's the coating -- maybe I can experiment with the size.

I hope I made the right choice, though I wish I had both monitors side by side to compare myself directly to choose the one I prefer better.

There's been several comments on how the new AG coating on the U3014 makes black-on-white text easier to read, what about the reverse, light-on-dark? I ask because I almost exclusively use light-on-dark color schemes when it comes to text since black text on a white background tends to cause me eye strain after awhile no matter what kind of screen I use (e-ink screens excepted of course).

hey guys, first post.

I have the u3014 and i have it hooked up to a dell xps 13 ultrabook (L321X) via miniDP. Everything works great, however, when I shutdown the computer, the monitor doesnt immediately go into powersave mode, it instead pretends no display is attached, and says 'miniDP cable not connected' and then gives a 5 minute countdown.

I connected my other laptop via the regular DP port, and when I shut down the computer, the u3014 immediately went into powersave mode.

anyone have similar experiences or have a clue why it does this over miniDP? I guess its not a super big deal as I can just turn off he monitor after use, but still I'd prefer if it seamlessly went into powersave mode.

Has anyone determined who makes the panel for this monitor? Samsung or LG? Maybe even Sharp?

Back