Dell U3014 unboxing :)

Cheapest I have heard is $1299 but that was through someone's company discount. Expect the average buyer to pay $1400-$1500 for now.

Well, with the U3014, I do not feel any heat on my face (I sit about 50-60cm away from the monitor) after extended usage. With the U3011, I feel some warmth after sitting in front of it after an extended period of time.
Coming from a tropical country, less heat is good. If I were to stay somewhere cooler, this probably wouldn't factor in my choice as much.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Just thought I share my experience with the u3014

I have to agree with the above in its stellar everyday performance.

But I wanted to add a few points:

1) I don't have input lag.
2) out of box without using the cd I had a very annoying issue with color profile being auto detected and auto adjusted between movies and photoshop and games. Install the software and turn off the auto color, very annoying and does not work
3) the color calibration software has a pro version where you will need additional hardware, and the "non-pro" version which isn't any different then the windows built in color calibration software
4) gaming / text is heaven on this beast. I downloaded battlefield 3 because it was free from the whole sim city fiasco, awesome and no lag. I do play at the native resolution and haven't tried non-native tho.

2) out of box without using the cd I had a very annoying issue with color profile being auto detected and auto adjusted between movies and photoshop and games. Install the software and turn off the auto color, very annoying and does not work
3) the color calibration software has a pro version where you will need additional hardware, and the "non-pro" version which isn't any different then the windows built in color calibration software
4) gaming / text is heaven on this beast. I downloaded battlefield 3 because it was free from the whole sim city fiasco, awesome and no lag. I do play at the native resolution and haven't tried non-native tho.

Thanks for the feedback, especially on the driver CD.

Out of curiosity, have you seen any of the weirdness on the bottom 10% of the screen that other users and the TFT Central review reported?

Thanks for sharing :)
Reading text on this screen is awesome.

With regards to point 2, I think that's something that you can probably manually turn off in the OSD.
I turned off the smart video enhance function as it was quite annoying to see the function kicking in and out when playing videos in windowed mode.

zetc

How do you compare the antiglare of the U3011 and U3014 when both screens are off ... can you see more reflections on the U3014 or more movement of shadow and light? When the display in use, does yourself, or objects or lighting in the room interfere a bit more with the image than on the U3011?

Its semi glossy. of course you can see some reflection, but it is very minimal. Off center viewing creates a cloudy type appearance which only appears in a monitor test in a completely darkened room but doesn't appear in real world use. It's certainly a far cry from full glossy which is practically a mirror...

Simply put, dell's new AG is far far better unless you're in a very brightly lit business environment. For home use the new AG puts the old to shame.

You don't or the U3014 doesn't? ;)

Mind sharing the pics?

You don't or the U3014 doesn't? ;)

Mind sharing the pics?

Anything in particular you'd like pics of? Pretty good professional pics around the web. I have a decent camera+glass but am a photography novice or I would have posted a bunch of pics.

I can post pics, I'll upload today.

I previously meant the u3014 had no lag, however now that I've spent some time with it I DO notice the lag but it's very subtle. I've tried Starcraft II, Battlefield 3, WOW. Only in Battlefield 3 I notice very very subtle lag. This can be fixed if I change the monitor to game mode, easy fix. For the casual gamers you won't notice. Having played Counter Strike at a competitive level, I do notice in BF3 does have lag but it didn't affect my performance at all. And if you are concerned about it, you can turn game mode on and really does become lag free. Colors are slightly brighter/washed in game mode though, losing some depth.

I'm usually pretty quiet around forums but I found the smart video issue of auto color really bizarre and found no answer anywhere even in the dell forums so I had to post the issue somewhere! Lol

I was also concerned with the lower screen issue that Sasquatch/TFT pointed out but based on the last 5-7 days of work and 10% gaming I have not noticed this. I'll see if I can post videos later tonite, not just pictures to share.

Last edited:
Here's a video for the people who asked me about the "bottom 10% of screen" having an issue. I didn't have anything like that. I'll try to post more videos later with better quality. This was shot on my iPhone 5, I do have a 5D Mark II sitting at work, i'll post it tomorrow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7K_IbdkiPQ

Does the hdmi port support 1600p? wondering if i should return the 2713hm to get this one.

zetc

How do you compare the antiglare of the U3011 and U3014 when both screens are off ... can you see more reflections on the U3014 or more movement of shadow and light? When the display in use, does yourself, or objects or lighting in the room interfere a bit more with the image than on the U3011?

When both screens are off, the U3014 is a lot more reflective when viewed from the side.
For example, on the U3011, from the side, you will see a blurred patch of light source, whereas on the U3014, you can make out the lamp (vaguely) where the light is coming from.

When the display is in use on the U3014, I don't notice any more interference from objects or lighting than I do on the U3011.
The most definite improvement of the AG on the U3014 is when viewing black text on white backgrounds.

Hi was wondering if any other U3014 users are also having the same yellow tint issue as Zetc.

I am quite new to using these wide gamut / ultrasharp monitors so was wondering if these are the cause of the yellow tint same as described by Zetc in his beginning post. I own a previous LG IPS and I can see a big difference in color due to the yellow tint. I have tried setting the modes on the U3014 to standard / sRGB and compared with my LG IPS but the whites still look more yellow on the U3014 compared to the LG. The only way was to change the color temperature 93k to get decent whites.

Is there anyway to fix the yellow tint on the other modes? Or should I give Dell a call to ask for a replacement unit?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

It could be color temperature setting/calibration. Or, it could be the anti glare coating which creates white shadows or a cloudy reflection when viewing off angle light sources in front of the monitor. For instance when I use my lamp in front of my monitor it creates a reflection (which is expected since the 3014 also uses a semi glossy coating). In actual use, the 2713H that I use does not have any type of tint whatsoever and looks great. It is never an issue in actual use.

I should be getting my u3014 next week, can't wait.

Last edited:
Hi was wondering if any other U3014 users are also having the same yellow tint issue as Zetc.

I am quite new to using these wide gamut / ultrasharp monitors so was wondering if these are the cause of the yellow tint same as described by Zetc in his beginning post. I own a previous LG IPS and I can see a big difference in color due to the yellow tint. I have tried setting the modes on the U3014 to standard / sRGB and compared with my LG IPS but the whites still look more yellow on the U3014 compared to the LG. The only way was to change the color temperature 93k to get decent whites.

Is there anyway to fix the yellow tint on the other modes? Or should I give Dell a call to ask for a replacement unit?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

No problems that I see on mine. Out of the box the factory calibration is a little yellow/greenish, but I fixed that pretty quickly by switching to the Custom Color setting and "calibrating" it by hand to fit my preferences. If you've tried the settings yourself and simply can't get rid of it, it might be worth contacting Dell about as Zetc did. Looks like Dell was quick to ship him a replacement too (though he is in Singapore).

I did not have yellow green tint out of box, but I did have smart color turned on out of box which was annoying, had to manually turn it off, couldn't find by osd had to use the software :( but Sasquatch found it on the osd

I did not have yellow green tint out of box, but I did have smart color turned on out of box which was annoying, had to manually turn it off, couldn't find by osd had to use the software :( but Sasquatch found it on the osd
On the OSD, go to Menu and then Display Settings. There you will see the Smart Video Enhance option.

No problems that I see on mine. Out of the box the factory calibration is a little yellow/greenish, but I fixed that pretty quickly by switching to the Custom Color setting and "calibrating" it by hand to fit my preferences. If you've tried the settings yourself and simply can't get rid of it, it might be worth contacting Dell about as Zetc did. Looks like Dell was quick to ship him a replacement too (though he is in Singapore).
Yup, although I had to send back the replacement as it was actually worse than the one I had.
Seems that chances of a yellow tint are higher on LG LCDs. Same thing for the iPhone LCDs, ever since they sourced their LCDs from LG, there have been many reports of yellow-ish tint from iPhone owners.

Anything in particular you'd like pics of? Pretty good professional pics around the web. I have a decent camera+glass but am a photography novice or I would have posted a bunch of pics.

Yes, the U3014 next to a CRT with timer on each screen. Both screen at 60 Hz and a shutter time of around 1/250 (around 1/4th of the CRT will be visible then, so make sure the timer isn't too big)

Yes, the U3014 next to a CRT with timer on each screen. Both screen at 60 Hz and a shutter time of around 1/250 (around 1/4th of the CRT will be visible then, so make sure the timer isn't too big)

whats thats going to show? If you're looking for input lag measurements, a single stopwatch method like that is too innaccurate

Likewise. I calibrated mine with a Spyder2 on the Standard setting and it was still a bit too yellow/green for my taste. Recalibrated on the Multimedia setting and it looks good now. I upgraded from a DoubleSight DS-263N, so I'm still getting used to the less oversaturated colors. Love the display, though.

How was the bleeding from this monitor? I cannot stand bleeding because I will get too annoyed and focused with the different color tone across the screen.

I have 3007-HC for good couple of years now, its been perfect monitor, amazing colors no input lag etc.. and still going strong.
Just wondering if its worth moving to this 3014 model i dont even know if i would notice any difference since i have no problems or whatsoever, its just that i never had a monitor this long and im itching to get something new but honestly i looked pass 3008,3011 never had reason to get one.
Any inputs if some of you new owners had 3007-HC and moved to 3014.

Does anyone know if this monitor is capable of displaying 24p-friendly refresh rates, such as 24 Hz, 48 Hz, 72 Hz or even 96 Hz? It's easy to test using e.g. custom resolutions in the NVidia control panel. Thanks.

Ping… it would be great if someone could test for this. This information is nowhere to be found on the Internet. Thanks.

I prefer very minimalist designs so I would really prefer no branding on anything. The dell logo would be annoying if it wasn't for the 30 inch panel above it always keeping my attention.

Also I could do without friends/family asking if I bought a new dell computer.

I didn't mean a single pic, sorry. I meant using a single stopwatch program on screen. You can take as many pics as you want, it won't be accurate using that method

Why wouldn't it be accurate? Because the CRT builds up the image instantly and the LCD puts in on the screen at once when the frame is fully received?

As for now we only have the vague words of a few users that 'it doesn't have input lag'. Reality learns that the accuracy of such posts is approximately zero, since such posts even exist concerning big-time laggers such as the Samsung 244T (>40ms)

This is the result of the test I did with the Samsung 204T and a 21" CRT, now almost six years ago:
http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_message/27925571#27925571

I have 3007-HC for good couple of years now, its been perfect monitor, amazing colors no input lag etc.. and still going strong.
Just wondering if its worth moving to this 3014 model i dont even know if i would notice any difference since i have no problems or whatsoever, its just that i never had a monitor this long and im itching to get something new but honestly i looked pass 3008,3011 never had reason to get one.
Any inputs if some of you new owners had 3007-HC and moved to 3014.

I have a 3007WFP-HC and the only reasons for me to get a U3014 would be the additional inputs (my laptop has DP). If your 3007WFP-HC is still fine... why buy something else? You might buy two 2007FP's instead and get a beautiful 20-30-20 PLP setup

Last edited:
Ah, that looks good. I wasn't aware of the TFT Central review :+

The article on inputlag is really a good read. But the method they describe is not doable for everyone. Most of us don't own or have access to the equipment they used. While the single stopwatch isn't as accurate, it's doable for almost anyone and it still clearly reveals lemons such as the 204T I tested six years ago.

Back