Dell U3014 News

nice to see that the game mode is low lag, pity about the RTC overshoot

Read the review. Looks like an awesome screen. Was on the fence before favoring the U3011 due to better styling & price, but the new screen has some much needed adjustments to the panel etc.

Game mode, while helping the lag out a ton, sounds like it introduces some artifacts (talked about in the TFTcentral review). Unless one is gaming and not paying attention to possible "pixel walk" ... this mode should be avoided. Also messes with being able to calibrate the screen.

I ordered once reading the review. I found the u3011 to be fine for gaming, there simply aren't a lot of options if you want a 30" panel. The u3014 has less lag than the 3011 by a few ms even without game mode. So I will try out game mode and see if the shimmering/pixel walk bothers me.

Anyways I'm all ordered up, now the hard part, the waiting.

that red-ish hue looks a bit nasty but maybe is just an isolated case. otherwise the panel looks good.

That is some crazy #'s TFT has put out for the u3014 regarding input lag. Virtually none! I want them to do a retest for the u2713H because I am very positive they didn't do a proper test for it in regards to input lag, between game mode and other presets, they said there was no difference, there definitely IS a difference and you can easily tell it's better on game mode.

Patiently waiting on Prad.de's review though to compare.

I hear you BETA., as my sole issue (though it's personally a big one when gaming) with my current U2711 is the input lag, and if the U2713H--which happens to be on a $850 sale--would just use the U2413 or U3014's fantastic Game Mode then I'd get it in a heartbeat. I don't need the extra vertical space (and criminy does 1600p fetch a premium), but the wide gamut color is both something I've become accustomed to and is a guilty pleasure of mine. Too bad Prad.de re-confirms the U2713H's high input lag. I do wonder how much worse the U3014's RTC overshoot is than, say, the S2740L, whose overshoot has been extensively documented by resident monitor guru NCX. My friend has that display and I really didn't notice it in either Battlefield 3 or Diablo 3--all I noticed was the quicker pixel response time and low input lag over my current monitor. With the improved contrast, super low input lag, and larger screen, I now have to consider saving for this behemoth.

I'm anxious to get one of these bad boys, unfortunately the ETA for delivery is 4/16 :(

FYI The added 15 days for "build time" seems to have no consequence. My order status was changed to "Shipped" within a few hours. With overnight shipping I'm hoping to get my panel by the weekend.

I'm very tempted to order this monitor up however I am wondering what peoples thoughts are here about the RTC overshoot issues the TFTcentral review discovered? An issue like this your pretty much stuck with I'm assuming - there would be no software fix of any sort or the like that could fix this or turn the feature off?

Very tempted to pull the trigger on this one, my 3007 wfp is starting to get a bit long in the tooth and i wont accept a lower resolution. Probably will wait a couple weeks on it.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u3014.htm[/url]

1- Amazing response time for an IPS panel- the worst transition sits at 12ms. compare to 9ms on the "gamer Tn" Asus VG278HE and the BS of "1ms" vs 8ms becomes moot. response time wise the Dells IPS are only 3ms behind a "gamer TN" since minimum response time transition on the Dell is at 3.7ms agains 0.9ms of the Asus. In no metric is the Asus more than 3ms faster than the Dell in response time. We are not only comparing a IPS vs a TN. We are comparing a 1080p against a 1600p. For me this graph is the death of the "gaming TN" mambo-jambo in terms of response time. TNs are not nearly so fast as announced, while the expected response time of IPS is pretty spot on.

2-true 0ms input lag on gaming mode. this is a first for 30" IPS panels.

Most of the price on the 3014 is going to features only used by pros, but gamers have not a single thing to complain. it is the best 30"launched so far.

I can get one through my work for 1250. Anyone interested?? Its through my employee purchase plan. Comes with the 3 year complete care.

Some pretty crazy stuff happens in the bottom 10% or so of the screen in game mode during fast moving scenes. I may try to take a video of it. There is some shimmering but that's the least of it.

It's particular to very fast moving scenes, I think it would be quite horrible in racing games.

It puts out less heat than my u2410 and a massive amount less than my u3011.

I still have to play some more games on game mode, will probably play crysis3 some tonight. But initial impression is it's a great purchase.

Some pretty crazy stuff happens in the bottom 10% or so of the screen in game mode during fast moving scenes. I may try to take a video of it. There is some shimmering but that's the least of it.

It's particular to very fast moving scenes, I think it would be quite horrible in racing games.

It puts out less heat than my u2410 and a massive amount less than my u3011.

I still have to play some more games on game mode, will probably play crysis3 some tonight. But initial impression is it's a great purchase.

Curious to hear more impressions of this phenomenon in game mode. Could this be the pixel walk described in the TFT Central review? http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u3014.htm

Placed my order tonight (already "In Production," surprisingly) but would love to see a video of this weirdness if you get the chance.

If pixel walk is what makes the shimering that is something seperate and nowhere near as bad.

Anyway the good news is I just played about 2 hours of crysis3 mp.

2560x1600 all visuals/msaa maxed, I don't think the game is amazing (although hunter mode is quite fun, it's about all I play) but visually it's stunning and I could see absolutely no sign of the shimmer or the other thing I saw earlier. It really takes the perfect moving textures to bring it out.

If pixel walk is what makes the shimering that is something seperate and nowhere near as bad.

Anyway the good news is I just played about 2 hours of crysis3 mp.

2560x1600 all visuals/msaa maxed, I don't think the game is amazing (although hunter mode is quite fun, it's about all I play) but visually it's stunning and I could see absolutely no sign of the shimmer or the other thing I saw earlier. It really takes the perfect moving textures to bring it out.

That is good news indeed. Let us know if you end up playing any other games that bring this problem out again. Can you tell us what you were playing when you first saw the problem?

On a side note, Dell already has my U3014 marked as "Shipped." The WEIRD part is the tracking number on their product page is FedEx tracking for a package that was already delivered to someone in a completely different state in September of 2011. WTF?

In any scene where the ground is moving very fast, for instance in some clips from the unigine valley benchmark.

Regarding the tracking number I'm sure they get recycled and yours will be updated by monday.

Man, I don't have my u3014 yet but I have my doubts about "game" mode. I've used similar such features on various IPS panels and without exception there were issues or anomalies that made normal mode better.

Fortunately it doesn't bother me. 2011-2013 IPS/PLS panels all game very well even in standard mode :)

FWIW there are some bad spots in bioshock infinite, I will try to make a video of that as well. I am not a person that notices ~1frame of lag so I have no problem playing games in the same mode I use for web browsing/programming. I will make a profile with my colorimeter and see how close it is to the factory calibration and one of those will be my permanent setting.

It's nice to know if I'm playing some twitchy fps and I actually notice the ~1frame of lag I can switch to game mode the lag is all but gone, at the cost of some anomalies in the bottom 10-15% of the screen.

Seems a good tradeoff.

FWIW there are some bad spots in bioshock infinite, I will try to make a video of that as well. I am not a person that notices ~1frame of lag so I have no problem playing games in the same mode I use for web browsing/programming. I will make a profile with my colorimeter and see how close it is to the factory calibration and one of those will be my permanent setting.

It's nice to know if I'm playing some twitchy fps and I actually notice the ~1frame of lag I can switch to game mode the lag is all but gone, at the cost of some anomalies in the bottom 10-15% of the screen.

Seems a good tradeoff.

Yeah, one of the reasons I was looking forward to this monitor was to be able to play games in an sRGB mode instead of being stuck in a wide-gamut mode like I was with the HP ZR30w. I'm assuming you're referring to playing in sRGB mode?

Stackable dell 10% off coupons for final price 1215$ and free shipping. This makes the price close enough to the 3011 that I wouldn't consider the 3011 even at refurbished prices.

One of the coupons expires on April 4th though.

Where are you guys purchasing the U3014 in the USA?

Direct from Dell. It was a couple pages earlier in this thread, but here it is again: http://configure.us.dell.com/dellst...3014&ACD=10550055-3891137-rewrite&AID=3891137

They do this a lot with new products. They put it on their website but without linking to the order page anywhere on the rest of the site. I'm guessing it's to give corporate customers a first shot at a new product.

Regardless, mine showed up yesterday despite the shipping date estimate being sometime in late April. Woohoo!

Does the hdmi port support 1600p? wondering if i should return the 2713hm to get this one.

Does the hdmi port support 1600p? wondering if i should return the 2713hm to get this one.

Why would you use HDMI? HDMI is inferior to both displayport and DVI-DL in every way, I don't see a reason to ever use it aside from HDTV connectivity.

Also, the answer is 99% no. 99.9% of HDMI implementations are limited to 1080p. Nearly every GPU I've ever used is limited to 1080p through HDMI, including the GTX 600 series. I've not found a single notebook with HDMI that works at higher resolution through HDMI, although displayport works at higher than 1080p.

Why would you use HDMI? HDMI is inferior to both displayport and DVI-DL in every way, I don't see a reason to ever use it aside from HDTV connectivity.

Also, the answer is 99% no. 99.9% of HDMI implementations are limited to 1080p. Nearly every GPU I've ever used is limited to 1080p through HDMI, including the GTX 600 series. I've not found a single notebook with HDMI that works at higher resolution through HDMI, although displayport works at higher than 1080p.

I get it now, only way is to get a laptop with displayport.

Back