Dell U3014 News

Oh well, if I had the space I wouldn't mind getting a 30 incher, but with a 27 inch screen you only lose 160 vertical pixels and you win some extra centimeters which are very welcome if your table is scarce in terms of room.

First link.

The new flagship of the UltraSharp series?
Another document confirms 30-inch Dell U3014 monitor

Having already the new wide gamut LCDs had announced U2413 and U2713H from Dell UltraSharp series, there is new information about the upcoming 30-inch counterpart, which is expected to replace the U3011. A document confirming thereby the name of "U3014" and also specifies some details.

In early December was a reminder of the "U3014" emerged, which was mentioned in the manual, such as the guys from TFT Central were discovered. Has not yet announced while the monitor Dell's now confirmed another official document the existence of the U3014.

A study published a few days ago List ( PDF ), which lists numerous certified with the eco-label "Energy Star" Monitors contains also said Dell U3014, which has received the certificate accordingly in December 2012. In addition, a resolution of 2560 × 1600 pixels with a display diagonal of 29.8 inches and a maximum brightness of 350 candelas per square meter is called. In addition to the monitor via a " smart card reader "and" USB 3.x feature ". The notation that this is a TN LCD panel is likely, however, be wrong with probability bordering on certainty. As expected new flagship UltraSharp series and designated successor of the U3011 is to start from a high end panel, which provides higher viewing angles and better overall image quality, as it allows the TN technology - especially as we previously had no TN panel resolution with such a known.

Since Dell UltraSharp series at last on AH- IPS panels set from LG, we suspect that this is the case with the U3014. In combination with a new LED backlight, which enables a wide color gamut (Wide Gamut) than sRGB addition, for example, the sibling models offer U2413 and U2713H a color depth of 10 bit (1.07 billion colors). Since the U3014 is expected to appeal to the (semi-) professional segment with extensive requirements in terms of color reproduction, we suspect that a similar technique is used. With the already in production AH-IPS panel LM300WQ6-SLA1 from LG would be a candidate ready with respective power values ​​in the 30-inch format. That this is the Dell U3014 use, however, is first pure speculation on our part.

From an undisclosed source wants TFT Central have learned that the launch of the U3014 to the February 2013 is expected around. If this should be true in the coming weeks for more official details are revealed.

Second Link

New 30 "Monitor Dell U3014 road With USB 3.0 and LED lighting
SOURCE: ENERGY STAR THROUGH COMPUTER BASE

Dell is working on a new 30 "monitor, according to a document of energy Energy Star. The UltraSharp U3011 Monitor, the current monitor.

The screen has a resolution of 2,560 by 1,600 pixels and a brightness of 350 candelas would each produce more square meter, making it likely to be a panel of LG's.

In addition, the U3014 a smart' card reader and USB 3.0 ports. By replacing CCFLs with LEDs, the LCD would lower energy consumption should have gotten.

According to rumors, the monitor on the market in February.

I predict it will follow the Grab-Your-Ankles(tm) pricing structure.

Smart card reader just screams "specialty market let's milk it for all we can get!!"

I think the resolution needs a bump on these monitors after 10 years. With 4k devices coming online it kinda seems odd they would redo the 2560x1600 at this time.

I think the resolution needs a bump on these monitors after 10 years. With 4k devices coming online it kinda seems odd they would redo the 2560x1600 at this time.

pricing wouldn't be affordable going 4k now

10 years ago Dell released the Ultrasharp 1900FP with a resolution of 1280x1024 and it retailed for $899.

well maybe it wasnt 10 years but you get my point, we have had these 30 inches stuck at this resolution for a long time. And they have never been affordable. Its been at least 6 years I think. It's a MSRP $2000 monitor. The other option is Dell needs to bring the price of this down sub $1000. With 27 inchers going for $300 something has to give IMO.

No, keep 2560*1600 please.
1) Higher resolution would require more graphical power.
2) The current resolution is perfect for the purpose of gaming, office suites and web browsing
3) I like to watch my monitor without wearing glasses

What really need to be improved is
1) Black level.
2) Higher uniformity
3) Introduction of more calibration parameters in the OSD (RGB, gamma, CMS) so that accurate sRGB can be achieved
4) LED arrays (and not Edge Lit due to uniformity issue).
5) USB 3.0 support
6) Lower power consumption
7) Less of the bugs that usually plague Dell monitors

No, keep 2560*1600 please.
1) Higher resolution would require more graphical power.
2) The current resolution is perfect for the purpose of gaming, office suites and web browsing
3) I like to watch my monitor without wearing glasses

What really need to be improved is
1) Black level.
2) Higher uniformity
3) Introduction of more calibration parameters in the OSD (RGB, gamma, CMS) so that accurate sRGB can be achieved
4) LED arrays (and not Edge Lit due to uniformity issue).
5) USB 3.0 support
6) Lower power consumption
7) Less of the bugs that usually plague Dell monitors

Eh, 4k isn't that big of a graphical challange esp since you need less AA with smaller pixels. I'm pushing 8 megapixels on a t221 with a 7950 and most games play pretty well, for things like web and office work even integrated will be fine.

4k monitors will cost far, far, FAR more than this will. Trust me.

You'd have a good argument if pricing and availability were the same, but that won't be the case for a long time.

well maybe it wasnt 10 years but you get my point, we have had these 30 inches stuck at this resolution for a long time. And they have never been affordable. Its been at least 6 years I think. It's a MSRP $2000 monitor. The other option is Dell needs to bring the price of this down sub $1000. With 27 inchers going for $300 something has to give IMO.

The u3011 has been around 1000$ for a while now, not 2000$. 30 inch 2560 panels aren't high volume products, so they charge what the market what supply and demand dictates - it is NOT intended as a mass consumer product. It is mostly for professionals.

I think the price is fair considering the quality and warranty - dell has a multi year no questions asked warranty in which they pay for shipping back and forth. Try that with a catleap. Those are the only panels that are 300$ and IPS, and you get what you pay for.

4k monitors will be out for around 5k this spring. Seeing them drop to half that in a years time seems very reasonable in tech. That puts them into the territory of the 30 inch. This is why I don't think dell needed to refresh this display, they could have just rode it out. But realistically knowing dell there was more to it than that. Like maybe they were going to be forced to change the panel and thought new model is better than panel lottery. Seems like dell never does anything because they want to produce a good new product its always something to do with the supply chain or upselling.

If you think 1k for a 2560x1600 panel is too much, I think you'll be surprised by 4k prices. It won't be affordable.

4k Ultra HD TVs will cost well over 10k so, it may be a while before the market becomes saturated to the point where prices start falling. But if i'm wrong, and I hope I am, it will be good news for us - the consumers :)

Believe me i'm pretty excited for 4k as well. Can't wait for it to become mainstream! In the meantime, i'm 100% sure the u3014 will be an excellent panel. I'll probably buy one on release...

What's the benefit to having a smart card reader in your monitor? I've never owned or even seen an smart card in my life. As for resolution. I don't see the benefit of 4k resolution in a 30" monitor. On 38", yes... that would be awesome. But, it would be a waste on a 30" monitor.
I had a Lenovo laptop once with a 15" WUXGA screen 1920x1200. That's a stupid resolution for 15". It was cool for about a week then you went blind.

It's not like you can see the pixels on a 30" screen at 2560x1600 at a normal viewing distance. Hell I have a hard time seeing them from a foot away, and that's way too close to ever be a usable distance. So what's the point in driving more unseen pixels? I'm all for a 38" 4k display tho.

Depends on your eyesight, but now days with scaling getting better in windows and pretty much solved on platforms like android higher DPI is not a problem for many. I can see the pixels on my Korean 27 inch at normal viewing distance, sits about 24 inches from me. And it just looks nice. The 30 inch monitors are OK but you are paying around $500 or more to get 160 pixels vertically thats it. And that's the problem not the resolution itself but the value is just not that good. If you get a sale I think they get down to $1100. IMO these need to have a $999 MRP now, with sales taking it down to 700.

Pixels are not unseen just because you cannot resolve them, they help create clarity. Ideally you want a monitor to have alot more pixels than you can see, then you can do things like completely stop anti aliasing. You can also always just tilt your head forward to resolve more detail.

If this stuff wasnt true I doubt apple retina push would be so popular, people see these devices which they cannot resolve the individual pixels and they like them. I like them too. It looks really good. I guess the big problem is windows developers often dont obey the scaling implementation MS has and so we get lots of problems with programs.

I am not dealing with 4k TVs I am thinking about 4k monitors around 32 inches. They are coming this year for prices similar to what pros are already paying for monitors.

I guess I see it through the bias eyes of someone who has had all good experiences with 3 korean panels and is hoping to see bezeless eyefinity resolutions soon. But even if you disregard Korean panels you still have to admit that $500 is alot for a measly 160 lines of vertical resolution.

So release is set for next month still ? Rough idea on price ? Are there pictures of what it looks like ?

What's the benefit to having a smart card reader in your monitor? I've never owned or even seen an smart card in my life.

Lots of 30" monitors are sold to photographers who have cards in their cameras.

It's also why you see IPS panels in these monitors - the ability to get a full gamut is critical.

I'm probably going to be buying one of these. The USB 3.0 smart card reader is a nice feature.

The biggest temptation for me to resist will be buying one upon release. I usually wait for the 3rd revision so the bugs can be ironed out.

pricing wouldn't be affordable going 4k now
It's a computer monitor, they don't need all the upscaling circuitry that a 4k television has, so it shouldn't be a problem of price, especially since these monitors are premium products anyway.

What's the benefit to having a smart card reader in your monitor? I've never owned or even seen an smart card in my life. As for resolution. I don't see the benefit of 4k resolution in a 30" monitor. On 38", yes... that would be awesome. But, it would be a waste on a 30" monitor.
I had a Lenovo laptop once with a 15" WUXGA screen 1920x1200. That's a stupid resolution for 15". It was cool for about a week then you went blind.

It's not like you can see the pixels on a 30" screen at 2560x1600 at a normal viewing distance. Hell I have a hard time seeing them from a foot away, and that's way too close to ever be a usable distance. So what's the point in driving more unseen pixels? I'm all for a 38" 4k display tho.

Best is 42" for 4k, and 85" for 8k.

Best is 42" for 4k, and 85" for 8k.

Totally agree, @ 3860 x 2160 4K resolution, the perfect szie is around 42". I don't want it at 30", that's too small a monitor size at that high of a res.

Totally agree, @ 3860 x 2160 4K resolution, the perfect szie is around 42". I don't want it at 30", that's too small a monitor size at that high of a res.

You can always increase DPI in windows? That should make native UI elements 3-4 times larger, which should make it very usable.

Hell using the highest built in dpi setting on my u3011 makes text way too large...feels like 1080p...

You can always increase DPI in windows? That should make native UI elements 3-4 times larger, which should make it very usable.

Hell using the highest built in dpi setting on my u3011 makes text way too large...feels like 1080p...

You wouldn't be using the resolution to it's full extend if you did that.

You wouldn't be using the resolution to it's full extend if you did that.

That is not true at all. The issue is that default windows DPI was designed for archaic 4:3 screens and isn't really good for modern screens. Obviously the benefit to higher DPI is to increase readability to suit your preference - if you look at a retina macbook pro, if you used the default windows DPI it would clearly not be usable at all. What does OS X do? It increases DPI so that fonts are actually you know, readable.

This in no way means that you don't get the benefit of the resolution. It means the resolution is usable and suitable for your preference. By the way, the default windows DPI was designed for 4:3 1024x768 monitors so it't not to useful for modern screens - you'll find many 2560x1440 panels have tiny text with default DPI. It is usable, barely. Long story short is that 4k panels at 30 inches are fine - you just have to adjust the DPI upwards.

Last edited:
I would rather keep the 2560x1600 for the mean while. A single 2560x1600 requires a lot of graphical grunt just for itself.

Long story short is that 4k panels at 30 inches are fine - you just have to adjust the DPI upwards.

Except that DPI scaling is broken in the majority of third party windows applications.

You get your fancy 4K monitor and then turn on 150% scaling so you can read text and instead of lovely high dpi text, you end up low DPI text given the blurry zoom treatment.

So in essence the previous reply was correct, you really don't get the benefit of high DPI monitor in most applications.

Broken apps won't get fixed until high DPI displays get available. And you'd still have the benefit in non-broken apps.

I would rather keep the 2560x1600 for the mean while. A single 2560x1600 requires a lot of graphical grunt just for itself.

2160p is a multiplier of 720p and 1080p, so you could run at those resolution without scaling and thus, without quality loss or input lag.

Broken apps won't get fixed until high DPI displays get available. And you'd still have the benefit in non-broken apps.

Then why not get a decent size 4k monitor that allows you to have full benefits in ALL applications and doesn't strain your eyes?

2160p is a multiplier of 720p and 1080p, so you could run at those resolution without scaling and thus, without quality loss or input lag.

So what you're telling me is that "4096 × 2160" vs "2560x1600", you won't need hardware that's ultra high-end to run games at 4096x2160?

Back