Dell U3011 coming soon.

IMG_0077-1.jpg

Only 2? I can't believe you didn't go for 3 for nVidia Surrround...4 GTX 680s should be able to power that setup.

I had 3 30" but ended up selling two because I didn't want to have to keep a top-end multi GPU setup in my rig at all times in order to be able to utilize them :(

does the u3011 have some kind of coating on it? in direct sunlight the u3011 seems harder to view than my old 3007

This monitor reminds me why I hate kids. One of them threw a ball into it and left a massive crack in it. The monitors weakly designed for something so small to do that kind of damage. Thankfully it's still under warranty, but I don't know if they'll cover accidental breakage.

Only 2? I can't believe you didn't go for 3 for nVidia Surrround...4 GTX 680s should be able to power that setup.

I had 3 30" but ended up selling two because I didn't want to have to keep a top-end multi GPU setup in my rig at all times in order to be able to utilize them :(
I finally got my third one now i'm gaming at 7680x1600:D
P1020603.jpg

I just ordered the U3011 2560x1600 (despite knowing about the arrival of the U3014) from a local shop who has it in remote storage (the supplier I guess). Will probably get it sometime next week. I'm so excited. I've been reading the HardForum constantly for a couple of days before I decided.

I went from a 24" Samsung 245b 1920x1200 to a 27" Asus VG278H 1920*1080. Better screen size but I couldn't stand the resolution, when being used to 16:10. I had to try, I'm too curious.
I sold the Asus and went back to my good old Samsung, which has served me well. Not the best, but robust (many wow hours). Will probably use it in pivot when time comes.

I've been debating myself if I should be getting a 27" 2560x1440, but I was afraid I would feel the same about the resolution, the need for scrolling on webpages and such, and I've always been drooling over the 30". I love screen estate.
I was afraid that 1440 was just a bigger 1080 with the same disadvantages. Wide is great though.

Anyways. So here I am, waiting for my first 30" 2560x1600 16:10. Thank you HardForum. I hope this is the beginning of a beatiful relationship.

Edit: I just ordered 2 x 2007fp 20.1" so I can do a PLP setup. Haven't even received the U3011 yet .. lol
Edit: U3011 has arrived. It's gorgeous. Manufactured Date: Nov. 2012. REV A09.

Last edited:
I also went from a 245b to a 30" (although not the Dell). Extreme difference. Congrats on your purchase.

I just ordered the U3011 2560x1600 (despite knowing about the arrival of the U3014) from a local shop who has it in remote storage (the supplier I guess). Will probably get it sometime next week. I'm so excited. I've been reading the HardForum constantly for a couple of days before I decided.

I went from a 24" Samsung 245b 1920x1200 to a 27" Asus VG278H 1920*1080. Better screen size but I couldn't stand the resolution, when being used to 16:10. I had to try, I'm too curious.
I sold the Asus and went back to my good old Samsung, which has served me well. Not the best, but robust (many wow hours). Will probably use it in pivot when time comes.

I've been debating myself if I should be getting a 27" 2560x1440, but I was afraid I would feel the same about the resolution, the need for scrolling on webpages and such, and I've always been drooling over the 30". I love screen estate.
I was afraid that 1440 was just a bigger 1080 with the same disadvantages. Wide is great though.

Anyways. So here I am, waiting for my first 30" 2560x1600 16:10. Thank you HardForum. I hope this is the beginning of a beatiful relationship.

You will love it. The U2711 is a great monitor too, but I'm just such a big fan of 16:10 for PC use. I wouldn't trade my U3011 for anything...except maybe a U3014, lol.

Has anyone else had problems with the right half of their screen artifacting? I originally bought a brand new A07 from Fry's in January and in February it started showing symptoms but a simple off/on would clear it but as time went on it would happen more and more often. I got that monitor replaced but the A04 they sent me had menu controls so bad that it took me almost 10 minutes to switch it from HDMI to DVI. My second replacement is an A08 and after less than two weeks I'm already seeing the artifacts again and they persist across any input.

I would really love to hear that I'm going crazy or that my 680 is dying but I don't think either of those is the case. What's the deal?

EDIT: I took a crappy video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rw49Ts4Z2Y

Last edited:
Bringing this thread back up. Is anyone else having issue with erratic blinking menu light? I bought a lightly used u3011 from one of the members but got the warranty transferred in my name.

Bringing this thread back up. Is anyone else having issue with erratic blinking menu light? I bought a lightly used u3011 from one of the members but got the warranty transferred in my name.

All the U3011's I have worked with have been perfect. But I have heard other members who have had this issue before

This happens to my 3011 when I have my desk lamp on and sitting too close to the side with the buttons. It also happens when my pen holder sits too close. Seems the touch sensitive buttons are a little too sensitive. If I move these things out of the proximity of the buttons the blinking stops.

This happens to my 3011 when I have my desk lamp on and sitting too close to the side with the buttons. It also happens when my pen holder sits too close. Seems the touch sensitive buttons are a little too sensitive. If I move these things out of the proximity of the buttons the blinking stops.

Yep same here. Desk lamp + water glass does it for me. I just kind of learned to ignore it.

I moved the right hand side of the monitor away from the wall and it seems to fix the problem.

The flickering LED is a feature of the U3011; it's a built-in supernatural spirit detector. Think Paranormal Activity or Ghosthunters.

Took my open box U3011 back to Micro Center, seeing as how the price of a brand new one has dropped to $1099 or so practically *everywhere*. I grabbed a NIB one from Fry's, Rev. A08. Can't really tell any difference in the AG coating from the A01 I had before.

Obviously I'm not the majority here but I chuckled pretty hard reading this since I'm currently on my SIXTH U3011, fifth replacement.

At least Dell has proven to be pretty good with the whole RMA process. Next business day delivery and paid return shipping has really come in handy since I'm on my fourth U3011.

First one was an A00 which I exchanged due to some severe uniformity issues. Replacement was also an A00 which I finally exchanged due to Custom Color not working; they sent me an A05. Sent back the A05 last week due to issues detecting inputs and a bezel that was beginning to separate (bottom right corner, thin plastic strip on the inside).

I now have an A08 and I'm not sure if I'm imagining it, but this monitor seems to look significantly better than any of the others I had. I just wish I had bought the 5 year warranty!

For those running 3 30"s, you might consider giving portrait mode a try. I do that with 3 30"s monitors and I much prefer 4800x2560 to 7680x1600, which is way too stretched horizontally and compressed vertically for my taste.

The A08 refurb I got turned out to be a dud. What was intermittent image corruption (horizontal lines, screen blacking out) became a chronic problem. Having to exchange that monitor was disappointing to say the least, as it was noticeably better looking than any U3011 I had before.

Anyways, they sent me an A00 with a sticker over the old revision stating it was now an A04. The uniformity is crap like the two A00's I had way back in 2011, but at least it works. It seems a little strange to get refurbs that vary so much as to when they were produced (the A08 was Dec. 2012, this A00 disguised as an A04 is an Oct. 2010). It also is nowhere near as bright by default as the A08 was.

I've learned my lesson with Dell monitors and will definitely be extending the warranty to five years on my next purchase.

I've learned my lesson with Dell monitors and will definitely be extending the warranty to five years on my next purchase.

You mean so you can get another refurbished unit, that is also quite bad in some way, for up to 5 years after purchase of original?

Sounds like that model has been used by someone for a long time, if it is significantly dimmer than the other one. The backlight is getting tired!

You mean so you can get another refurbished unit, that is also quite bad in some way, for up to 5 years after purchase of original?

Sounds like that model has been used by someone for a long time, if it is significantly dimmer than the other one. The backlight is getting tired!

Dell is very generous when it comes to exchanges. I have 3 Dell 3007WFP-HC (refurbs), 300WFP (new from ebay) and u3011 (used and bought from a guy at Hardforums). I cannot say anything bad those monitors.

p.s. I see you live in Eskilstuna.:D I went to kindergarten for a year when I was kid in 1985. I still have the so called "Dog Tag".:D I loved that place - best memories ever. However my dad moved to the States and my mom decided not to stay in Sweden. :(

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back