Dell U3011 coming soon.

I just talked to Dell about a replacement and once I receive it I would compare them side by side. I guess if the new panel exhibits more problems, I'll just keep this one.

jest, good tips, thx for great response! I just figured I'd save some money on a deal like that (it was quite amazing). But alas, im buynig it from a local store for approx $1200. Should be ok if you take into account the services as you mentioned already.

Thx! Ill come back and post my experiences once I have it.

Okay guys, I received the Dell a couple of days ago, but it is still plugged to my laptop, which might not be the most stable environment to fairly judge the Dell u3011 in. Im still waiting for my stationary gaming computer to arrive (a brand new with Gigabyte GeForce GTX 680 2GB OC Windforce graphics card, 16 gb RAM, intel i7 3770k), so that I can test the monitor to its fullest.

Although I must say, first impression is....it's HUGE. I mean really bigger than you'd expect. I went from 24" to this beast and I'm still impressed at it's size everytime i come into the room.
I had a few dead pixels, but I followed some suggestions that I read online, saying that you could sometimes rub them back to life, which I did, and it worked! Hah, i was so surprised that the actually vanished. (and no, it wasn't dust particles, they were actual disfunctional pixels!)
And it is because of those reasons that I really really hope this monitor proves to be free of flaws, cause out of the box its everything I wanted (uncalibrated that is).

One thing that bugs me is that Text is blurry on this monitor and somewhat on images, in comparsion to the crispness that my laptop monitor is showing. But I read that it might be because the Dell u3011 is not shown in its native resolution (2560 x 1600) on my laptop, it is now shown in 2048 x 1280 (which is max on the GPU on my laptop).

The new stationary computer arrives monday morning, so I'll spend the day calibrating the monitor with my X-rite eye one display monitor calibrator. And then get back to you with my 'yays' and 'nays'.

feast your eyes on the u3011 :D, its so big :O
nNZGe.jpg

my eyes are still getting used to going from a 22 in to a 30 :[

Haha that's how I feel as well!

I'm not used to moving my head left and right whilst moving windows in ONE monitor.

LOL @ you guys...before I got into 30" monitors I went from a 20" Dell 2001FP to a 37" monitor (not HDTV). It was freakin huuuuuuuge! Talk about moving your head left and right! It was a glorious setup for a long time, and extremely impressive but eventually I saw the light and decided the 2560x1600 was the way to go.

I'm actually really tempted to buy a 27" 120hz. panel after noticing some blur in 2D sidescrollers. I've played many a game on the U3011 and it is wonderful, but I picked up several indie 2D sidescrollers in the recent Steam sale and everything is GORGEOUS as soon as everything stops moving but there is noticeable blur (on the foreground much moreso than the characters, enemies, etc.) when scrolling left/right. I want to experience 120hz gaming but there is no way I could get rid of the U3011 for general tasks and desktop work. I guess I could, but I would sorely miss all of that screen real estate. I use a dual monitor setup at work to help with multitasking but it's just not the same as having a ton of stuff open on one screen.

Okay guys, I received the Dell a couple of days ago, but it is still plugged to my laptop, which might not be the most stable environment to fairly judge the Dell u3011 in. Im still waiting for my stationary gaming computer to arrive (a brand new with Gigabyte GeForce GTX 680 2GB OC Windforce graphics card, 16 gb RAM, intel i7 3770k), so that I can test the monitor to its fullest.

Although I must say, first impression is....it's HUGE. I mean really bigger than you'd expect. I went from 24" to this beast and I'm still impressed at it's size everytime i come into the room.
I had a few dead pixels, but I followed some suggestions that I read online, saying that you could sometimes rub them back to life, which I did, and it worked! Hah, i was so surprised that the actually vanished. (and no, it wasn't dust particles, they were actual disfunctional pixels!)
And it is because of those reasons that I really really hope this monitor proves to be free of flaws, cause out of the box its everything I wanted (uncalibrated that is).

One thing that bugs me is that Text is blurry on this monitor and somewhat on images, in comparsion to the crispness that my laptop monitor is showing. But I read that it might be because the Dell u3011 is not shown in its native resolution (2560 x 1600) on my laptop, it is now shown in 2048 x 1280 (which is max on the GPU on my laptop).

The new stationary computer arrives monday morning, so I'll spend the day calibrating the monitor with my X-rite eye one display monitor calibrator. And then get back to you with my 'yays' and 'nays'.

congrats on the purchase!

Also, I hooked up my laptop to my U3011 for about 2 weeks...I had my monitor board sent out for RMA, so my gaming rig was down....the laptop was only able to do 2048x1536...and boy did it look NASTY....it was also through a VGA cable, and not HDMI....so I have a feeling that added slightly more blurry-ness to the monitor....I was so glad to get my motherboard back and finally run native resolution

Hi all,

Ok I'm on my 3rd U3011 in a week. All bought from Amazon. The first one had a brightness uniformity issue where you could draw an imaginary line down the middle of the screen, and literally the left half was darker than the right. The second one also had a similar uniformity issue, but on this one it was more a big dark blob right smack in the middle. So onto my 3rd one now and so far it's MUCH better than the other two. It still is darker on one side, but the transition is smooth unlike the other two which stuck out like a sore thumb. This one may be a keeper, I'm fairly happy with it. BTW no stuck or dead pixels on any of them.

Ok now I also have a HP ZR30w that just showed up at the door. I ordered it in case the 3rd U3011 was a dud. I'm not sure if I should open it up and try it or just stick with this U3011. I have 3 HP LP2065 I've had for about 3 years that I use in an eyefinity setup. Not one of those monitors lasted even a year without developing bright spots around the edges, and developing image persistence issues in as little as 3 weeks. They have been exchanged numerous times, and now my warranties are all expired and I'm stuck with three 500.00 HP monitors with bright spots all over the place and pretty bad temporary image persistence.

Needless to say I'm a little spooked with HP monitors. I'm using the 30" real estate for my flight simulators, FSX, Prepar3D, and X-Plane. I use Trackir 5 and a suite of Saitek Pro Flight peripherals. The main thing I hear that puts the HP ZR30w ahead is the input lag. Am I going to notice it though with flight simulators, trackir, and flight yokes/throttles etc? I guess I can just pop open the HP and try it, but am not sure how much difference may be just subliminal. And then what's to keep this HP monitor from developing the same issues down the road as my other three smaller HP S-IPS ones. I've had a Dell U2410 for over a year now and it still has zero issues unlike the HP's. Decisions Decisions

The text will be VERY blurry if you are not in native resolution. Depending on what laptop you have, text will be similarly sharp.

Let us know how it goes with the new card.

So I've done some research and I think I'm pretty much sold on buying one of these (U3011) as my new primary monitor. For reference, my "current" primary monitor, and the last one I ever bought is a 2405FPW which is finally starting to experience some burn-in. That's been a long time, no?

I'm wondering though, what might be a good monitor to pair with it in PLP? I don't intend to use this setup for gaming- not outside of the primary monitor anyways, but for work, and I don't have the space for three of these monsters. I was looking at the E2011H and getting a pair, but I'd prefer to run it by you guys.

Dell 2007FP used on eBay.

Seconded. (and easily thirded, fourthed, et. If you skim back through this thread)

PLP wih 2007fps and the 3011 is the most enjoyable Setup I've used - great blend for a variety of tasks, and the screens match up size/pixel wise very nicely.

Is Dell still replacing monitors with the fucking custom color mode issue? I have it, it's a A01 panel.

I called the 1-800 number listed on dell.ca to try and get the panel replaced ans so far all I've gotten are oversea baboons who tell me I need to be transferred to the Canadian special warranty department and after five transfers and 42 minutes, none of them managed to make it work. They kept saying all they had was an internal transfer and couldn't give me the proper number.

I'd be much obliged if someone could give me the right Canadian number to call so I can get my panel replaced. Can't calibrate my U3011 without it.

Seconded. (and easily thirded, fourthed, et. If you skim back through this thread)

PLP wih 2007fps and the 3011 is the most enjoyable Setup I've used - great blend for a variety of tasks, and the screens match up size/pixel wise very nicely.

If you want the screen to fit the frame of the U3011 exactly, make sure you get the 2007FPS and NOT the 2007WFPS.

I preferred the 2007WFPS for personal reasons but they are indeed a bit longer.

IMGP4238.jpg

oh okay....so colorimeters are mostly for professionals and not really for gamers?

Colorimeters are useless for gaming.

As a photographer I MUST calibrate my U3011 because I need to make sure the colors I see on my screen will match the prints I ship to my clients exactly.

Wow guys, the u3011 is truly impressive! I calibrated my monitor with X-rite Eye One.

The colors are gorgeous, the blacks have great depth and it shows in the contrast (especially in games and movies). With the native resolution everything is crisp and clear as it should be (I had issues before with the text and image being blurry, but that was because I wasn't running the monitor in its native res). Out of the box my monitor was near perfect, the colors were great (even though I did calibrated later on, for professional graphic imaging), a few dead pixels that were rubbed back to life (explained in earlier post), no tints or other color burns on the monitor (monitor feels consistent from left/right, top/bottom), and absolutely no graphical artifacts ingame or in working environments (such as Photoshop/Illustrator/Flash).

I have a dual monitor setup, the U3011 with a U2412M. So when I tested and calibrated my monitor, I compared between those 2 models.

The minor issues that bother me are only the following:

1. I have slight banding. Maybe that goes for all ISP displays, meaning that they show gradients to certain extent. It's very subtle, for example in this banding test, some steps in the transition are slightly harsher. It's exactly the same with my U2412M, so I'm guessing it's either my settings or it doesn't get much better with ISP's.

2. When I perform this White saturation test, my U2412 shows all the checkers clearly, but the U3011 doesn't show the last group of checkers (group 254), and the U3011 barely see the other on that last row (groups 251 - 253). Can't quite figure out why...cause I did calibrate it to 2.2 gamma.

3. So this is the "Big" one. The one and only concern I have with my U3011 is the Power Port on the monitor. When I plug in the power cable into my monitor, i have to twist and turn it for a while before the monitor turns on. The power port on the monitor is faulty. I have to move the power plug around (and I hear the crackling noises of electricity trying to connect) until I get the right angle, and then I have to make sure it sits there, any major movement on the table or monitor might move it out of place and I have to go through the same procedure again :( This REALLY sucks! Cause everything else is SOOO GOOD with my rU3011... This is the only reason I might return it for a new one. But I feel like I would be gambling...who knows, next one might have an actual visual problem. What do you guys think?

Overall though. The monitor is amazing, I've play so much games these passed days (barely got any work done!) because the experience is just so mind blowing. The visuals! The size! The vast space (2560x1600!) !

I would suggest that you hold the power cord in place through a clip. It is really a gamble to get another and expect the same sort of visuals that you are experiencing right now.

I got my Dell U3011 3 weeks back and everything turned out perfect apart from a small area of a yellowish looking cloud close to the center. Although I could have ignored the problem easily but since I thought that I had spent a grand on the monitor, I should just get it replaced. So I went ahead with the replacement and there was a major yellow tinting issue on the right hand side of the replacement monitor. It was so obvious that the whites were not even looking white while comparing to my existing monitor. Eventually I ended up returning the replacement and got contented with what I had.

So my advice would be to wait till close to the end of your warranty to get the monitor fixed since visuals are the most important and you seem to have gotten a pretty good monitor.

3. So this is the "Big" one. The one and only concern I have with my U3011 is the Power Port on the monitor. When I plug in the power cable into my monitor, i have to twist and turn it for a while before the monitor turns on. The power port on the monitor is faulty. I have to move the power plug around (and I hear the crackling noises of electricity trying to connect) until I get the right angle, and then I have to make sure it sits there, any major movement on the table or monitor might move it out of place and I have to go through the same procedure again :( This REALLY sucks! Cause everything else is SOOO GOOD with my rU3011... This is the only reason I might return it for a new one. But I feel like I would be gambling...who knows, next one might have an actual visual problem. What do you guys think?

Overall though. The monitor is amazing, I've play so much games these passed days (barely got any work done!) because the experience is just so mind blowing. The visuals! The size! The vast space (2560x1600!) !

You should try a different cord before making a decision !

I took mine back after an hour. It's a nice monitor and would serve an architect etc well I feel - the colours, in particular, are fantastic but it just hurt my eyes too much and I turned down the brightness etc. I was left with blurry vision after an hour then went back to my 2407 and it was a huge relief. I bought it mainly for gaming, I did try a little HL2, was ok, nothing special. It's a frustrating time for monitor buyers right now, there is a massive hole in the market due to awaiting technological advance and the whole 24/27 pixel size/hz tradeoff sacrifice is also unfortunate but currently just the way things are.

2. When I perform this White saturation test, my U2412 shows all the checkers clearly, but the U3011 doesn't show the last group of checkers (group 254), and the U3011 barely see the other on that last row (groups 251 - 253). Can't quite figure out why...cause I did calibrate it to 2.2 gamma.

Hi, got some question about your U2412m, I've pm-ed you since this is U3011 thread. :)
mind checking your inbox? tnx

If anyone with the custom color issue is wondering if Dell will issue a replacement, the answer is yes.

I sent an email to their technical support detailing the issue with my monitor (Rev. A00) and received a response back within seven hours. They are dispatching a replacement via overnight shipping.

I'm honestly surprised that I didn't have to jump through any hoops. The whole process was fast and painless.

The replacement screen will probably be refurbished, so I really hope it doesn't arrive with any glaring issues.

If anyone with the custom color issue is wondering if Dell will issue a replacement, the answer is yes.

I sent an email to their technical support detailing the issue with my monitor (Rev. A00) and received a response back within seven hours. They are dispatching a replacement via overnight shipping.

I'm honestly surprised that I didn't have to jump through any hoops. The whole process was fast and painless.

The replacement screen will probably be refurbished, so I really hope it doesn't arrive with any glaring issues.

Let us know how it goes...and also let us know what REV you end up getting

Also, which link did you use to submit your claim? I always went through Dell live chat

Let us know how it goes...and also let us know what REV you end up getting

Also, which link did you use to submit your claim? I always went through Dell live chat

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/contact_technical_support

I just chose email from there. Only hard part was turning my monitor around to read the serial number. :)

Edit: They sent me a refurbished A05 model, build date is January 2012. Doesn't appear to have any glaring defects, so I'm happy.

Last edited:
Any updates Jolli?

btw I sent a support ticket just like as you recommended....through e-mail...lets hope they get back to me with a "yes we will overnight you a monitor".....Hopefully get a good one that runs sweet

Im on the fence about buying this with rumors of new led panels coming out soon, were they supposed to be out this year or early next?

Whats a good price for this monitor off Craigslist ? I have seen a new one in the box selling for $800, is that fair or too high ?

Whats a good price for this monitor off Craigslist ? I have seen a new one in the box selling for $800, is that fair or too high ?

$800 brand new? seems too good to be true

These normally go for $1100ish during sales....I've seen it gone for $1000 shipped from newegg...and no tax of course for most....If you buy directly from Dell, it will be whatever price + tax....so $800 brand new certainly is very cheap....if it truly is brand new and no gimmicks, then I'd say go for it....all brand new Dell monitors have a factory seal on the box...so you can tell if its been opened or not

$800 brand new? seems too good to be true

These normally go for $1100ish during sales....I've seen it gone for $1000 shipped from newegg...and no tax of course for most....If you buy directly from Dell, it will be whatever price + tax....so $800 brand new certainly is very cheap....if it truly is brand new and no gimmicks, then I'd say go for it....all brand new Dell monitors have a factory seal on the box...so you can tell if its been opened or not

Ok thanks for the advice. I would ask to see it working in person before handing over cash of course.

Any updates Jolli?

btw I sent a support ticket just like as you recommended....through e-mail...lets hope they get back to me with a "yes we will overnight you a monitor".....Hopefully get a good one that runs sweet

The monitor they sent me was a refurbished Rev. A05 built in January 2012. It's not perfect, exhibiting minor tinting similar to the A00 I sent back. There is also a very slight bezel imperfection in the lower right corner near the edge of the screen, but nothing major. I consider it an upgrade overall, as custom color finally works!

The one thing that did annoy me was the poor job they did cleaning the monitor before sending it to me. There was a great deal of white residue streaked on the screen that took me quite awhile to clean. I ended up ordering some Philips brand LCD cleaner to finally take care of the problem.

I'm glad I did the exchange now, as I still have 500+ days of warranty left on this screen.

The monitor they sent me was a refurbished Rev. A05 built in January 2012. It's not perfect, exhibiting minor tinting similar to the A00 I sent back. There is also a very slight bezel imperfection in the lower right corner near the edge of the screen, but nothing major. I consider it an upgrade overall, as custom color finally works!

The one thing that did annoy me was the poor job they did cleaning the monitor before sending it to me. There was a great deal of white residue streaked on the screen that took me quite awhile to clean. I ended up ordering some Philips brand LCD cleaner to finally take care of the problem.

I'm glad I did the exchange now, as I still have 500+ days of warranty left on this screen.

Great to hear you are happy overall, even though it isn't perfect...but hey, if you can get past those imperfections and are happy, that's all that matters :D

Btw I got an e-mail this morning and they went ahead and approved an overnight monitor....very hassle free and I think this is the way to go....previously I dealt with them through live chat....and OMG, it was such a pain to get them to approve....they always gave me crap saying I bought this monitor from a "dealer" instead of them direct. This was with other Dell monitors I've used in the past

$800 new sounds too cheap

I just bought a used one off criagslist for $800. They go refurb on Ebay for $870-1000

And $1050-$1150 new on Amazon

but if someone is selling a new one for that cheap buy it ASAP

Has anyone here got a replacement from Dell lately? Are they still sending out refurb A05's or are they finally up to rev A07?

Has anyone here got a replacement from Dell lately? Are they still sending out refurb A05's or are they finally up to rev A07?

I think it really depends on their refurb stock level...but I would say A05 is the most common in their refurb inventory

When my $695 3007wfp died, they sent me this monitor as a replacement. Good times, until I got a shade of purple on the monitor. Anyone know what causes it, and how to get rid of it?

My old Dell 3007wfp-hc has Vertical Lines Issue so I call Dell friday and they sent me a replacement Dell UltraSharp U3011 on tuesday.:D

The monitor they sent me was a refurbished Rev. A07 built in september 2012.

Last edited:
Just got my U3011 ordered on black friday. Rev 08. No dead pixels :D

Coming from dual 24s this is massive.

My old Dell 3007wfp-hc has Vertical Lines Issue so I call Dell friday and they sent me a replacement Dell UltraSharp U3011 on tuesday.:D

The monitor they sent me was a refurbished Rev. A07 built in september 2012.

Was it still under warranty and did you need to send it back?

Back