Dell U3011 coming soon.

Does Dell consider the custom color problem with early revisions worthy of an exchange? I have an A00 and it obviously has an issue with that setting.

Curious if anyone has any direct experience working with Dell on this.

Does Dell consider the custom color problem with early revisions worthy of an exchange? I have an A00 and it obviously has an issue with that setting.

Curious if anyone has any direct experience working with Dell on this.

Probably depends on the rep that you talk to...it's a legitimate issue, and most of the time if you complain enough and/or talk to the right person they will consent to doing an exchange.

I have an A00 or A01 and the custom color profile thing personally doesn't affect me...I do however have one dead pixel that only shows up on light backgrounds (isn't noticeable at all most of the time) but I never exchanged because mine has very even backlighting, no bleed, and I didn't want to exchange a brand new panel for a used one that might have a bunch of hours on it. I guess if I really pushed them I could get a new one, but who's to say it wouldn't have worse problems?

Back in the day, I went through like 3 Dell 2001FPs to finally find the "perfect" one. I just don't have the desire to do that these days, especially with the lacking QC of many products.

Sigh...I wasn't aware that Best Buy had this on sale. Looks like it's over.

Big thanks to Jake.

I followed his advice and stuck to my guns!

dellh.jpg

hey guys after going through about 5 dell U3011's (REV A05) which stemmed from purchasing and returning defective units for various reasons, I finally received a monitor(REV A07,MAN: April 2012) I'm happy with! this monitor has the best picture quality out of all of them.

Reason: ANTI GLARE coating is much less!!!! seems like with REV A07 Dell finally listened to many people's complaints! also screen uniformity is improved a bit.

Did anybody else notice? Am I being crazy?!

Rev A07 huh? This is probably the first I heard if they reduce the anti glare

All the other revisions are pretty much the same...mostly just bug fixes if you ask me

Reason: ANTI GLARE coating is much less!!!! seems like with REV A07 Dell finally listened to many people's complaints! also screen uniformity is improved a bit.

Is there any way to know what Rev number you're getting when you order a u3011 other than waiting to find out when it arrives? I have an A05 that I got a few months ago, and I didn't even know about the A05 vs A07 AG issues until reading this thread.

The AG on my u3011 isn't nearly as bad as it is on my old zr30w from early 2011 though ... Despite supposedly having the same panel inside, I think the u3011 is also slightly brighter.

Do you guys think now is a good time to be buying a U3011? Is it due to be updated soon?

Do you guys think now is a good time to be buying a U3011? Is it due to be updated soon?

Pretty good time to buy, IMO. The U3011 is mature at this stage, so the bugs have been worked out (custom color bug that plagued the early revs, etc.). It's also almost a guarantee that IF there is a replacement due soon, it will carry a much higher price tag like the new 30" monitors always do (~$1500 with coupon codes bringing that down in time) so the U3011 at $1000 would be a great buy. I can't imagine the new one having any groundbreaking new features; if anything, I would expect it to be LED lit vs. CCFL and those have their pros and cons...in other words, the U3011 is a fine monitor and if you want it now and your budget allows it, it's a great choice. If budget is not a concern and you can wait, you could hold out for the replacement but be aware that the monitor will probably not be fully mature for at least a few months to a year after it's released.

Pretty good time to buy, IMO. The U3011 is mature at this stage, so the bugs have been worked out (custom color bug that plagued the early revs, etc.). It's also almost a guarantee that IF there is a replacement due soon, it will carry a much higher price tag like the new 30" monitors always do (~$1500 with coupon codes bringing that down in time) so the U3011 at $1000 would be a great buy. I can't imagine the new one having any groundbreaking new features; if anything, I would expect it to be LED lit vs. CCFL and those have their pros and cons...in other words, the U3011 is a fine monitor and if you want it now and your budget allows it, it's a great choice. If budget is not a concern and you can wait, you could hold out for the replacement but be aware that the monitor will probably not be fully mature for at least a few months to a year after it's released.

yup, i doubt it will be anything ground breaking as well...most likely still be 2560x1600 and all the features from the U3011...with possibly an LED back light to save on electricity and get more even back lighting versus CCFL

gave the U3011 a shot, there is this yellow tint on the right. is this normal? issit just or its not a big issue for users here?

not sure if i shld change or return it.

gave the U3011 a shot, there is this yellow tint on the right. is this normal? issit just or its not a big issue for users here?

not sure if i shld change or return it.

I have the same issue and wonder if I should return it as well. I've had my monitor for 9 months so a replacement will probably be refurbished.

I just ordered this monitor and have since gotten a call from the company selling them if I would like to extend the three year warranty to a six year. The price of the extension is pretty steep (would add ~20% to the price of the monitor), and so I come asking how you guys feel about it?

The things running through my mind are:
- How relevant will a display of this resolution be in three years time? I imagine that by that stage we will all be buying “retina” displays.
- If the monitor manages to survive three years, is that not proof enough that it will survive for at least another two?

Last edited:
U3011 owners.. I got mine last night. VERY happy with one exception, there is a glow that eminates from the bottom 1/3 of the screen... it's like light bleeding through the panel but it's all across the bottom 1/3 of the display. Is this the "IPS GLOW" I hear about.. it's quite striking coming from an LED backlit Samsung.. the Samsung was super-bright too but didn't look like this in the bottom. Its kinda a cross between white and grey/silver in colour.

Should probably mention that I have the display in sRBG mode with 50/50 brightness and contrast (defaults) but the glowing is visible in pretty much all settings.. bit less noticable in the "super saturated" settings like game and movie..

Last edited:
U3011 owners.. I got mine last night. VERY happy with one exception, there is a glow that eminates from the bottom 1/3 of the screen... it's like light bleeding through the panel but it's all across the bottom 1/3 of the display. Is this the "IPS GLOW" I hear about.. it's quite striking coming from an LED backlit Samsung.. the Samsung was super-bright too but didn't look like this in the bottom. Its kinda a cross between white and grey/silver in colour.

Should probably mention that I have the display in sRBG mode with 50/50 brightness and contrast (defaults) but the glowing is visible in pretty much all settings.. bit less noticable in the "super saturated" settings like game and movie..

if I am watching movies or playing games with mostly black background....I do get slightly white glow on the corners of my monitors....and the blacks on this monitor is nothing to write home about :(

I love this monitor...its just you have to get over certain things at first :eek:

Got mine at a great price, it's rev. 07 with no tinting issues or color variations so to speak of. Very happy with it so far.

For those of you who game on U3011, is it worth it to buy a colorimeter to custom calibrate your monitor?

I primarily game and the U3011 looks great in sRGB as is. But I'm wonder if its worth my time & money to buy a $150-$200 colorimeter to setup a custom profile? Also is it hard to calibrate your monitor using a colorimeter?

I think I'm one of the few who bought this monitor and uses the standard preset as opposed to sRGB. :eek:

For those of you who game on U3011, is it worth it to buy a colorimeter to custom calibrate your monitor?

I primarily game and the U3011 looks great in sRGB as is. But I'm wonder if its worth my time & money to buy a $150-$200 colorimeter to setup a custom profile? Also is it hard to calibrate your monitor using a colorimeter?

Imo, it's not really worth it esp. if you're mainly gaming. I bought one because it's an exercise in futility trying to manually match the color on three different monitors that are all different models. :eek:

Any one has any answers?

Sorry, not willing to take apart my monitor to find out. I value my warranty too much!

Imo, it's not really worth it esp. if you're mainly gaming. I bought one because it's an exercise in futility trying to manually match the color on three different monitors that are all different models. :eek:

Sorry, not willing to take apart my monitor to find out. I value my warranty too much!

oh okay....so colorimeters are mostly for professionals and not really for gamers?

I always thought gamers would be able to benefit from colorimeters instead of an "off the shelf" calibration that these mass produced monitors go through

dukenuke88, this is a great offer!! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Anyone know amazons return policies when shipped to Europe?

I live in Sweden and I'm confident that I will take this deal, but as we all know, there might be dead pixels or other issues that will cause me to exchange this monitor. How does Amazon or Dell handle it, will they still send a replacement monitor first? How long does it take?

Anyone else that purchased through amazon that lives in Europe?

Thanks in advance guys!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I think I'm one of the few who bought this monitor and uses the standard preset as opposed to sRGB. :eek:

I only had a U3011 for a short time but the only mode I liked was the sRGB (and the abode RGB was't too bad)... the rest looked oversaturated to the hilt ..

I only had a U3011 for a short time but the only mode I liked was the sRGB (and the abode RGB was't too bad)... the rest looked oversaturated to the hilt ..

Yeah. What's correct and what looks good to someone can vary, obviously. :) I am so used to the standard preset that when I try to switch to sRGB mode it looks...dull or something. I'm positive I'd get used to it if I kept it there for a couple of days. Just like switching from a fun-sounding favorite pair of headphones to a reference pair that leaves the music uncolored...at first it sounds lifeless but soon you "forget" what the previous pair sounded like and become used to the new sound.

I wish monitors with presets like this one would let you divide the screen up into halves so that you could compare color settings. It's hard to compare one preset against the next when cycling through them one by one.

Which monitor did to switch to and what was the reason for the move? I bought a U3011 a week ago and I do see some input lag while playing BF3, though not bad at all. Wanted to try out the HP ZR30W but the lack of an OSD kills the deal for me.

Yeah. What's correct and what looks good to someone can vary, obviously. :) I am so used to the standard preset that when I try to switch to sRGB mode it looks...dull or something. I'm positive I'd get used to it if I kept it there for a couple of days. Just like switching from a fun-sounding favorite pair of headphones to a reference pair that leaves the music uncolored...at first it sounds lifeless but soon you "forget" what the previous pair sounded like and become used to the new sound.

I wish monitors with presets like this one would let you divide the screen up into halves so that you could compare color settings. It's hard to compare one preset against the next when cycling through them one by one.

I prefer sRGB because my other monitors use them....and they stay consistent if I use sRGB preset....but if I use standard preset on my U3011, colors do pop up more, and everything looks brighter more livelier....but it can hurt my eyes, since its very saturated....I could keep using it, and eventually adjust my eyes to it....but when I hop onto another sRGB monitor, it will look like crap...haha

Which monitor did to switch to and what was the reason for the move? I bought a U3011 a week ago and I do see some input lag while playing BF3, though not bad at all. Wanted to try out the HP ZR30W but the lack of an OSD kills the deal for me.

I have the Samsung 950D 27", had it for around 9 months now. I tried the Dell trying to go bigger but I realised how much I'd gotten acustomed to a glossy panel (Dell's AG is aweful) and the 120hz refresh rate... the Samsung is just so darned easy on the eyes...felt like I had to squint when using the Dell.. just didn't look as beautifully clear like the Sammy.

dukenuke88, this is a great offer!! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Anyone know amazons return policies when shipped to Europe?

I live in Sweden and I'm confident that I will take this deal, but as we all know, there might be dead pixels or other issues that will cause me to exchange this monitor. How does Amazon or Dell handle it, will they still send a replacement monitor first? How long does it take?

Anyone else that purchased through amazon that lives in Europe?

Thanks in advance guys!

So no European owners of this product?
No comment on the overseas warranty with Dell?

European u3011 owner here: picked mine up on Friday (REV A08).

I don't understand why you want to buy this monitor from the USA when they are available all over Europe. You realise that when you buy something from the states:
- Shipping charges are insane
- There is an increased damage of damage during shipping
- Returning an item? good luck with the shipping fees
- Some stores don't even let you ship such things abroad (just like how you can't order things to Europe from newegg), are you sure that you can even buy it?
- You have to pay import tax, my experience with import tax is that it's HUGE.

You might think that you are getting a good deal, but I would strongly encourage against it. dell.se sells the monitor for ~1750 USD, (according to xe.com). I bet that if you check swedish computer sites you can find it for 15% cheaper.

I can't make comments on if a US warranty applies in Europe.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Do you guys notice a very pale yellow cloud close to the center of the screen? It's noticeable on a white background. Is it something to be alarmed about, that would warrant an RMA?

The thing is that it's ever so slight and the rest of the monitor looks great. But having shelled out a 1000$ on this, I expected the panel to be free from any issues.

The thing is that it's ever so slight and the rest of the monitor looks great. But having shelled out a 1000$ on this, I expected the panel to be free from any issues.

As you should. But sadly, history has shown us that even paying >$1000 for a monitor doesn't guarantee perfection. You're somewhat likely to have uneven backlighting, backlight bleed, dead/stuck pixels, or other issues with the U3011 or any other high-end monitor. Consider yourself lucky if you get a perfect panel the first time. Back when the 2001FP was considered a top-tier monitor, I went through 3 of them before I got one without glaring issues. My U3011 has one dead pixel in the lower right hand area but is otherwise great. I just didn't feel like dealing with the RMA process and going through the process of luck of the draw when it's something that is only noticeable on a light background (and even then I have to consciously look for it to notice it).

Back