Dell U3011 coming soon.

I'm trying to run BF3 in 1600x900 (16x9) resolution on an ATI5850 - the monitor is scaling it as "full screen" 16:10 not 16:9 - I'm not sure if it's the video card or the monitor or what - does anyone know? I actually want the black lines :/

I'm trying to run BF3 in 1600x900 (16x9) resolution on an ATI5850 - the monitor is scaling it as "full screen" 16:10 not 16:9 - I'm not sure if it's the video card or the monitor or what - does anyone know? I actually want the black lines :/

have you tried going into the on screen display settings and instead of "fill" input "16:9"...that might force the black lines

What settings should I set my monitor to for OS X?

I have it on sRGB now w/ no calibration.

The monitor comes factory calibrated in both the sRGB and Adobe RGB modes, hence the sRGB is already calibrated by Dell. Accurate or not, that is another story.

For OS X, go to Menu|Color Settings|Gamma and choose MAC.

It's on "MAC" for Gamma. I just wasn't sure what color mode I should have it on. sRGB or RGB? I don't really know what the diff is.

Mine arrived today. Brought it home, hooked it up and the OSD doesn't seem to work :/

Well I have joined the club after a long few days of following tracking. I was on the fence between the 27" or the 30" until a fellow [H]er hooked me up with his Dell rep and I got one for $950 shipped. Seriously thanks man, you know who you are. Revision A05 and Made in Mexico. No dead pixels and pretty uniform backlighting, this one's a keeper.

Coming from using a 42" TV for the past four years I wasn't sure what to expect size-wise. This is a lot more usable for everyday stuff while still being big enough to sit back and watch something (I was really worried it wasn't going to be). The resolution goes without saying, there's so much space in Photoshop and Premiere that I'm going to get spoiled. Set to 0 Brightness and sRGB looks pretty good to me, we'll see if I need to brighten it up once it's light out.

One surprise for me is the quality of the scaler. I play some fixed-resolution games and they stretch to aspect pretty cleanly. My PS3 even looks just as good as it did on a native 1080p screen.

Obviously I'm very pleased with it. My plan is to keep it for at least as long as I used the TV, hopefully longer. I remember being impressed when the original 3007WFP came out and thinking I'd never get one. Funny how just a few years changes things.

Here's a quick picture. Took the opportunity to clean and dust everything, it needed it. And pardon my cable mess, that's next. :)

vgu3011.jpg

Damn, $950 is a sweet deal. I would have gone with the U3011 if I could have gotten ~$450 off price Dell has been showing rather than the ACD97 refurb that arrived yesterday.

Shame, you should send the POS to me, I'm sure you don't need it. ;)

You'd better be using it with dvi-1, because I can't even change inputs. And wear shades, can't change the brightness either. They are shipping out a replacement ;)

Currently on a BenQ 24" 16:10, I spent yesterday looking at 27" monitors, Samsung 850D ($750cdn) and an ACD 27" ($999), I was wondering why they looked so small ? Then I realised that they were only slightly taller, and 2" wider than my 24", since most 27" are 16:9. When I arrived home I checked the Dell site, and they had the 3011 at $999. After owning a 3007 back in '06, I couldn't resist, I guess it's time to start shopping 7970's !

For me, I doubt I could use 16:9 on a computer, I'm way to use to 16:10, and refuse to give up the real estate. As for the 27", it would have been the ACD for me, and it would have been my only Apple product !

Well it makes sense, a 16:9 27" will have less screen area than a 16:10 27". The smaller the AR the more screen there is at a given diagonal length.

After owning a 3007 back in '06, I couldn't resist, I guess it's time to start shopping 7970's !

I'm actually surprised at how well my single 5850 handled swtor and da:eek: last night at 2560x1600. But yeah, I need to shop for something with more ooomph!

Well it makes sense, a 16:9 27" will have less screen area than a 16:10 27". The smaller the AR the more screen there is at a given diagonal length.

Yes, but I never found a 27" 16:10 high res monitor. Not sure if they exist. I assumed the 24"-27"-30" as a natural progression, but with the AR hopping around between the steps, the differences are substantial ! Anyway, the 3011 is on the way, will be here Monday, then tuesday they'll put a new 30" US out in this style, just to piss me off ! :D

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/sna.aspx?c=ca&cs=cadhs1&l=en&s=dhs&~topic=ultrathin-monitor&~ck=mn

I'm actually surprised at how well my single 5850 handled swtor and da:eek: last night at 2560x1600. But yeah, I need to shop for something with more ooomph!

I'll use the 6970 2gb for a bit. I still have some older games that I haven't played, just to see if I'm interested enough to get back into it. It should give the v.card market a chance to stabilise as well. The current reference cards are tempting though, over the years I've seen "2nd batch" products o-clock worse than 1st, prob. due to binning, and some of them were hold backs from the 1st run.

Well, i just received my 950D... i should have listened to my gut telling me to get the 750D. The 950D came with an insane amount of backlight bleed in the lower right hand corner as everyone has been talking about. To anyone thinking about getting the 950D... dont.

Well, i just received my 950D... i should have listened to my gut telling me to get the 750D. The 950D came with an insane amount of backlight bleed in the lower right hand corner as everyone has been talking about. To anyone thinking about getting the 950D... dont.

Why is this in the u3011 thread?

I'm looking to sell mine if anyone is interested. I'm trying to find a 23-24" monitor to replace it which I'd snag two of, I really miss having dual monitors. The space on this 30" is great, but when it comes down to moving things around, you just can't beat dual display.

I'm looking to sell mine if anyone is interested. I'm trying to find a 23-24" monitor to replace it which I'd snag two of, I really miss having dual monitors. The space on this 30" is great, but when it comes down to moving things around, you just can't beat dual display.
sent a pm :cool:

That's why I do this :p

6663592717_ea3020d8ec_b.jpg

There are plenty of refurbed Dell 2007FP's (make sure you get the IPS version to match the center) on ebay for ~$200. Great side monitors without much investment :)

Zarathustra[H];1038297448 said:
That's why I do this :p

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7145/6663592717_ea3020d8ec_b.jpg[/img.]

There are plenty of refurbed Dell 2007FP's (make sure you get the IPS version to match the center) on ebay for ~$200. Great side monitors without much investment :)[/QUOTE]

Hehe, nice setup. I actually upgraded to this 30" from 2x 2007wfp, and really enjoyed those, but I think I'm going to try 2x 23" or 2x 24" now. 22" seems to small for some reason. But here is the problem, my main issue with this monitor is that from where I sit(may 2.5ft away), I have no peripheral vision in the games I play, so I totally miss the sniper down in my far left corner, or the punk on the roof lobbing nades at me. I still love this monitor and wish I could find a good use for it.

If you buy 3 or more you can generally get them for $1150 regardles of current promotions by talking directly to a rep.

Well

if you deal on the business side of things... you can get it sub 1100 with sound bar. No need to purchase 3.

I should know! I did :D

^
Wish I had a way of buying through the business side. I just want one for less than $1150.
I tried live chat with 4 different reps and no luck.
Guess I'll just keep waiting for those coupons.

Hehe, nice setup. I actually upgraded to this 30" from 2x 2007wfp, and really enjoyed those, but I think I'm going to try 2x 23" or 2x 24" now. 22" seems to small for some reason. But here is the problem, my main issue with this monitor is that from where I sit(may 2.5ft away), I have no peripheral vision in the games I play, so I totally miss the sniper down in my far left corner, or the punk on the roof lobbing nades at me. I still love this monitor and wish I could find a good use for it.

I understand that...

I currently have a 37" Westy.. and in many instances, I think Ive handicapped myself.. I get tunnel vision because the size... I tend to play healers in wow, now sw tor... and with the monster screen.. I dont tend to see stuff I need to...

What do you U3011 owners think about the color uniformity of your screens?

I recently purchased this display and immediatly noticed tinting from side to side and called Dell for another one. So at the moment I've seen 4 different screens and ALL have issues with color uniformity. The main problem is tinting from side to side (typically left side being more green and right side red). But some has also yellow tinting on lower section of the screen and pink tinting in the corner etc.

I had a 3007WFP-HC (died after almost 5 years of use) before this and it didn't have this kind of problem when it was new.

I could live with the brightness being a bit lower on the left side of the screen, but that in combination with tinting is really annoying. The problem is easily noticeable in normal desktop use and browsing (white and light greys).

My screens have all been rev A06/05 made in China (the box says A06 but the back of the monitor A05).

Is the quality of these monitors really so low?

What do you U3011 owners think about the color uniformity of your screens?

I recently purchased this display and immediatly noticed tinting from side to side and called Dell for another one. So at the moment I've seen 4 different screens and ALL have issues with color uniformity. The main problem is tinting from side to side (typically left side being more green and right side red). But some has also yellow tinting on lower section of the screen and pink tinting in the corner etc.

I had a 3007WFP-HC (died after almost 5 years of use) before this and it didn't have this kind of problem when it was new.

I could live with the brightness being a bit lower on the left side of the screen, but that in combination with tinting is really annoying. The problem is easily noticeable in normal desktop use and browsing (white and light greys).

My screens have all been rev A06/05 made in China (the box says A06 but the back of the monitor A05).

Is the quality of these monitors really so low?

they make them in china now? i have an A05...both box say A05 and back of monitor A05...made in mexico

and i don't experience any "color" uniform issues...there is some slight back light uneven-ness...its nothing outrageous though...just a slight glow on all four corners...with the lower right side behind slightly brighter than the rest...

These monitors are dated oct-nov 2011 and made in China. Maybe the quality of this "batch" is subpar or I have been unlucky with my replacements. Now Dell is even asking me for some pictures of the fault and putting my RMA on hold.

This is pretty frustrating as I no longer have the option to return the display to the seller either.

Edit: I'm located in Europe and I don't know if they sell these Chinese made monitors in the US.

Last edited:
These monitors are dated oct-nov 2011 and made in China. Maybe the quality of this "batch" is subpar or I have been unlucky with my replacements. Now Dell is even asking me for some pictures of the fault and putting my RMA on hold.

This is pretty frustrating as I no longer have the option to return the display to the seller either.

Thanks for the heads up, when mine arrives tomorrow, if it has any issues it's going straight back, for a refund not replacement. If they're now selling junk from China, and not accepting returns, then it doesn't bode well with me.

I've been using a Samsung 24" monitor for about 5 years, and i've been dying to go to a larger screen. I didn't want to spend the extra money to get the 30" Dell or HP so I purchased a 32" LG LK450 with the IPS panel. While it's not bad, I've come to the realization that I want a bigger screen AND a higher resolution than the 1920*1200 that the sammy gives me and 1080P that the LG gives me.

I've been partial to the Dell from reviews here and at Newegg, but I've just been reading the recent color uniformity issues and it kind of scares me.

Should I still consider this monitor? :confused:

It will be for gaming, mostly BF3 with a smattering of everything else in between and light web surfing.

I've been using a Samsung 24" monitor for about 5 years, and i've been dying to go to a larger screen. I didn't want to spend the extra money to get the 30" Dell or HP so I purchased a 32" LG LK450 with the IPS panel. While it's not bad, I've come to the realization that I want a bigger screen AND a higher resolution than the 1920*1200 that the sammy gives me and 1080P that the LG gives me.

I've been partial to the Dell from reviews here and at Newegg, but I've just been reading the recent color uniformity issues and it kind of scares me.

Should I still consider this monitor? :confused:

It will be for gaming, mostly BF3 with a smattering of everything else in between and light web surfing.

In my case I live in Canada, last time I ordered one was 2006, and it was here in a couple of days. This time they told me 4 days, and it will be more like 7 ! So for me returns will be too much of a hassle, plus I have someone picking up my spare this weekend, so it takes 2-3 weeks for a replacement, I'll just send it back and buy something local.

So if you're in the U.S., I'd say go for it. You have 30 days to return it, and the process should be simple, Dell is good that way. But in Canada, it's a lot more time consuming. If you get one that is "right", it is a beautiful monitor (my 3007 was !), and relatively risk free to try it. For your usage it should be fine, But if you're looking for something like a $3k-$5k LCD for a $1000, you may be disappointed

In my case I live in Canada, last time I ordered one was 2006, and it was here in a couple of days. This time they told me 4 days, and it will be more like 7 ! So for me returns will be too much of a hassle, plus I have someone picking up my spare this weekend, so it takes 2-3 weeks for a replacement, I'll just send it back and buy something local.

So if you're in the U.S., I'd say go for it. You have 30 days to return it, and the process should be simple, Dell is good that way. But in Canada, it's a lot more time consuming. If you get one that is "right", it is a beautiful monitor (my 3007 was !), and relatively risk free to try it. For your usage it should be fine, But if you're looking for something like a $3k-$5k LCD for a $1000, you may be disappointed

Oh no, I'm not looking for a monitor of the 3k-5k range. I considered the new gen samsungs but, now, after playing @1080p that res is too low.

Cool, i'll keep looking to find it under 1150. I could purchase it through my business which sounds like it could save me money.

thanks for the reply

Back