Dell U3011 coming soon.

I played through Deus Ex on mine. Game looks great at 2560x1600 although there is banding in the textures which is not the fault of the monitor but rather the art team. I don't detect any input lag. Finally, the cutscenes look worse then the game itself because they are at some stupid low resolution. Again, not the monitors fault.

The only issue I have for FPS games on a large monitor is that due to the immersion factor I need the framerate to be a smooth constant 60 with no stutter else I get motion sick pretty fast which requires an investment in graphics cards.

So you felt the panel's lower response time didn't distract too much during fast changing scenes (turning, running,..)?

Usually I am very unlucky when it comes to this sort of thing, but my Dell U30 arrived without any stuck pixels. For the amount of money you are paying for one of these things, I would keep sending it back until you get one that is perfect - I would have.

I have played tons of games on mine and have not had any problem with input lag. Make sure your game is running at 60 FPS if you have a graphic card that can drive it that fast.

In my sig you see my configuration. Two MSI 3Gb 580's that are really powerful for the kind of games I play.
I'm playing BC2 at 140fps.
Counter strike at 300
TF2 at also super high resolutions
I have all max render frames at 0 or 1.
I feel it while simply moving my mouse pointer on my screen and browsing the web. But not on my other monitor which is right next to me. This monitor looks great, barely any ghosting that I can see, but the input delay is what I feel. If you have ANY ideas for me to try on the monitor I'd like to try them. But All three of these monitors feel the same way.

But I don't know if I mentioned it but I had it in clone mode with my HP 2509m 1080p 25" TN monitor next to it and I could also see the difference. So I don't see it as being a software issue.

I read some people play games like Deus Ex on this monitor.
Are these Dell IPS panels really suited for playing FPS games? I'm not a professional gamer, but I like playing games like BFBC2, Deus Ex and F1 2010.

I played DX-HR on this monitor and it's amazing. Really immersive with it maxed out. For those things I dont notice any of the lag, I'm more into the game versus my reaction time.

I just received a new u3011 and am quite surprised by the factory calibrated modes.

The standard setting looks fine, just with the usual wide-gamut intense colors.

The sRGB setting however looks terrible. The colors are totally different from anything I've ever seen on a monitor. Very washed out. Everything has a weird greenish ting too, particularly the whites.

I also noticed that I can't spot any difference between the AdobeRGB and sRGB modes. My understanding is that these are very different color spaces so shouldn't I be able to tell them apart?

Am I doing something horribly wrong or did I end up with a mis-calibrated / defective unit?

I just received a new u3011 and am quite surprised by the factory calibrated modes.

The standard setting looks fine, just with the usual wide-gamut intense colors.

The sRGB setting however looks terrible. The colors are totally different from anything I've ever seen on a monitor. Very washed out. Everything has a weird greenish ting too, particularly the whites.

I also noticed that I can't spot any difference between the AdobeRGB and sRGB modes. My understanding is that these are very different color spaces so shouldn't I be able to tell them apart?

Am I doing something horribly wrong or did I end up with a mis-calibrated / defective unit?

I too felt the sRGB preset was pretty weird compared to the Standard preset.

Btw I tested sRGB on an HP ZR24w, and it looked "normal" to me. Whereas the sRGB mode for the U3011, it just looks washed out like what you mentioned

I just ran my U3011 in standard because I was cringing at how ugly my websites looked. Oh yeah adobe RGB and sRGB both looked similar. I just ran Standard because it looked the best

Also for those posted above, I've played many FPS including BC2 and all CODs from MW1 and up....zero lag...

I picked up a u3011 recently, loving it so far. I prefer the standard setting over the sRGB for day in day out use, but I can't seem to get it to match my secondary screens. I have flanking 2007fp and no matter what I do, I just can't get the whites to look close. Same problem when I had a 2412 next to it. Anyone using a 20-30-20 setup with 2007fp's might have some advice about where to start at to get it right?

Anyone driving 3011 with intel hd3000? Able to do light gaming? Like dota? Or sc2?

hd3000 is the on board for 2600k right?

from what I remember the on board for those chips are very weak to begin with....yes they have advanced quite a bit since a few years ago...but hey are still way behind, like say a GTX 550 Ti

I doubt you will be able to "enjoy" even a light game, such as SC2 at 2560x1600, using the HD3000

hd3000 is the on board for 2600k right?

from what I remember the on board for those chips are very weak to begin with....yes they have advanced quite a bit since a few years ago...but hey are still way behind, like say a GTX 550 Ti

I doubt you will be able to "enjoy" even a light game, such as SC2 at 2560x1600, using the HD3000

actually i dun play games much...... surfing, programming , watching movie is probably what i do mostly.... as in able to play properly in low settings im quite happy....just to feed my occasional urge for games :D

actually i dun play games much...... surfing, programming , watching movie is probably what i do mostly.... as in able to play properly in low settings im quite happy....just to feed my occasional urge for games :D

hmm...honestly, i don't even know if it will pass on "low settings"...

I have a feeling an HD3000 will pass as "acceptable" on all low settings at 1080p....haha literally the units look like blocks of play dough...its so ugly...lol

but i dunno about 2560x1600 on all low...i'm going to guess not acceptable, even on low...haha

hmm...honestly, i don't even know if it will pass on "low settings"...

I have a feeling an HD3000 will pass as "acceptable" on all low settings at 1080p....haha literally the units look like blocks of play dough...its so ugly...lol

but i dunno about 2560x1600 on all low...i'm going to guess not acceptable, even on low...haha

what i mean is at lowest, able to play games like dota smoothly?

kegler the answer is no, the HD3000 will not play SC2/DOTA @2560X1600 smoothly. Lower resolutions, possibly.

Solution? Buy a cheap GPU and really enjoy that beast of a monitor you have.

kegler the answer is no, the HD3000 will not play SC2/DOTA @2560X1600 smoothly. Lower resolutions, possibly.

Solution? Buy a cheap GPU and really enjoy that beast of a monitor you have.

i wanna connect it to my macbook air...haha.... was thinking of ATD27....but for that price i could get a 3011 over here :D

Well mine just arrived. Can't even open it and set it up yet. Things to finish around the house first. But thought I would post that is was Assembled in Mexico in October of 2011 and is a Rev A05.

Be curious to see what I think of it once it is all set up and running.

Well this thread is pretty long and I could spend days trying to filter through it all. Right now have my U3011 set on sRGB, seems to be the preset of choice for me. But I want to try a custom setting. Are there any settings that have worked well for people on here that you would post. I would like to give them a try.

If it matters this monitor is used for everything: Desktop work, games, internet, movies, occasional picture editing.

Well I purchased my monitor on Tuesday, and they tried to deliver it on Friday, while I was at work. They left it at the local Purolator Depot. Purolator is closed for the whole weekend, so now I have to wait until Monday to get my new Dell U3011.

I'm moving up from a 22" Acer TN panel with 8ms delay. My new display will be used for gaming, watching shows/movies and general use.

Will update with any problems, etc.

Well I purchased my monitor on Tuesday, and they tried to deliver it on Friday, while I was at work. They left it at the local Purolator Depot. Purolator is closed for the whole weekend, so now I have to wait until Monday to get my new Dell U3011.

I'm moving up from a 22" Acer TN panel with 8ms delay. My new display will be used for gaming, watching shows/movies and general use.

Will update with any problems, etc.

Ordered from Dell? If yes, what price did you get?

I can get this monitor for 1000.00 brand new. I was wondering how is this for gaming compared to my benq xl2410t in terms of color and ghosting.

Well this thread is pretty long and I could spend days trying to filter through it all. Right now have my U3011 set on sRGB, seems to be the preset of choice for me. But I want to try a custom setting. Are there any settings that have worked well for people on here that you would post. I would like to give them a try.

If it matters this monitor is used for everything: Desktop work, games, internet, movies, occasional picture editing.

I've been running mine in Standard mode, but with a color profile I downloaded from TFT Central: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm

If you visit that page, you'll see a link for Dell U3011 (Collection) zip file... I'm using the "Dell U3011 - Standard.icc" profile. Since panels vary, the profile may not work well with your display, but it made mine look great (to my untrained eye). I tested the gamma on this page: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gamma_calibration.php

If you open that page, you will see the difference when activating and disabling the profile; red gamma is too high without it, and a perfect 2.2 with it. The result is reds that aren't totally oversaturated, and a good white balance.

Also, I use Firefox for web browsing because it's the only one that will use color management to display untagged images as sRGB (i.e. everything on the Internet)... but you have to go into about:config and change gfx.color management.mode to 1.

Colors are still a bit oversaturated in unmanaged apps, but it's a bit more muted because of the gamma correction. In managed apps, the colors look fantastic though! Much better than the preset sRGB mode.

Ordered from Dell? If yes, what price did you get?

No, I had to get it from n c i x. It was $1,300.

I tried to get it from Dell with a two day expired coupon, and they couldn't help me. I asked them for any kind of discount, and they couldn't offer me anything so I had to bite the bullet.

I finally got it today (Monday) around 3:30pm. The monitor is in excellent shape with no visible damage or dead/stuck pixels. It is the A03 revision. I set the colours to Adobe RGB because it seems to be just fine for me.

I tried it with F1 2011 and Starcraft 2, and it looks great. It's huge. I'm going to have to get used to the large size.

Cheers.

Last edited:
No, I had to get it from n c i x. It was $1,300.

I tried to get it from Dell with a two day expired coupon, and they couldn't help me. I asked them for any kind of discount, and they couldn't offer me anything so I had to bite the bullet.

I finally got it today (Monday) around 3:30pm. The monitor is in excellent shape with no visible damage or dead/stuck pixels. It is the A03 revision. I set the colours to Adobe RGB because it seems to be just fine for me.

I tried it with F1 2011 and Starcraft 2, and it looks great. It's huge. I'm going to have to get used to the large size.

Cheers.

hows it going so far? hehe

Do most people use the U3011 as a stand alone? Or do they use it in conjunction with a second u3011 or a smaller 20" in landscape?

I bought my 2007FP before my 30" when my 24" Samsung died and I didn't have enough money for the 30 yet. But it's definitely nice having the 20" in portrait in conjunction to the 30"

I'm leaning towards a 3 24" LCD setup. For the 20-30-20 setup, how does that compare in terms of 3 screen gaming?

Mine just came in today and dam the diffrence between my benq and this dell is like night and day. Luckly i seen this monitor for 999.99 brand new or else i wouldnt have picked it up.

Mine just came in today and dam the diffrence between my benq and this dell is like night and day. Luckly i seen this monitor for 999.99 brand new or else i wouldnt have picked it up.

Where did you get that price? Under 1k for one of these BRAND NEW is a great price would love to know where.

would like to know as well :D

just ordered my yesterday should be here by friday just in time for swtor beta weekend.

I'm leaning towards a 3 24" LCD setup. For the 20-30-20 setup, how does that compare in terms of 3 screen gaming?

Currently 3 screen gaming does not work in PLP. I think SoftTH can do it, but not in Eyefinity or Surround right now.

Maybe this baby monitor gonna go on sale soon? Looking forward to, though.. What's the best price nowdays?

any word on any new models from dell guys? like 30 inch models? I am going to buy this one, but am afraid a new monitor 30 from dell will come out soon and i will be screwed LOL

any word on new dell 30 inchers in the pipeline>?

any word on any new models from dell guys? like 30 inch models? I am going to buy this one, but am afraid a new monitor 30 from dell will come out soon and i will be screwed LOL

any word on new dell 30 inchers in the pipeline>?

naw not yet...but the U3011 is about 1 year and few months old....so its still fairly new...it's not like graphics card where something new comes out every 6 months

For those who recently received their U3011, where are the manufactured date and revision number?

should be stamped on the back of the monitor and outside the box

Thanks! Finally found them on the back of the monitor. Could anyone post their latest manufactured date and revision? Mine were July 2011 (Made in Mexico) and Revision A03.

I took the plunge and ordered one today. Cyber Monday sale with Dell Canada was $1049 so I ordered one. Too bad we have 13% sales tax or this would be a a super deal.

Received my new U3011 today and mounted it on the Ergotron MX wall mount I got yesterday. I took a shot of the mount with my 24" 2407WFP installed and the U3011 installed. Pretty big difference, I like the colors in Standard mode but dropped the brightness all the way down to 8, I found the default 50 was too bright. What do you guys use? What do you think? (Sorry for pic quality will be updating with better camera later)

Mount

img0448xn.jpg

2407WFP

img0447na.jpg

U3011

img0450d.jpg

Received my new U3011 today and mounted it on the Ergotron MX wall mount I got yesterday. I took a shot of the mount with my 24" 2407WFP installed and the U3011 installed. Pretty big difference, I like the colors in Standard mode but dropped the brightness all the way down to 8, I found the default 50 was too bright. What do you guys use? What do you think? (Sorry for pic quality will be updating with better camera later)

Nice job and almost as nice as mine. :p

Look -> http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1030571591&postcount=67

congrats on the sick setup nightrain

i personally use sRGB...yes I do agree standard preset looks great too....but my eyes have become more comfortable with sRGB colors...because I've been using other sRGB colored monitors (HP ZR24w).

Now every time I put my U3011 in standard, i feel like the colors are very over powering....funny thing is, at the beginning of the year, when I had my first U3011, I thought standard was perfect...and sRGB way too dull

Back