Dell U3011 coming soon.

Received my replacement (for stuck red on white pixel near the middle of the screen) the other day, another A02 from Mexico.

White point is calibrated closer to 7500K vs 6500 of the original. sRGB and AdobeRGB factory calibration is a bit better on the replacement unit, especially in the greys. Backlight uniformity is just as good. Only a single stuck green on black pixel up near the top left, no biggie, can't see it unless I really go hunting on a full black screen.

No other pixel defects I can find so I think it's a keeper. Definitely the nicest LCD display I have personally used over the past decade.

Time to budget in a second GTX580.... ;)

Hello people.

I just received my Dell U3011 A1 and i have the custom color problem, only that my monitor doesn't show anything, its completely black.It worked ok for a week and then started to show the screen in red and now its black.
What do you guys think?

I don't think opinion about this problem changed recently. Dell has publicly stated that they will not allow field upgrade of firmware. Revision A01 is notoriously plagued with this problem. The only remedy is to keep sending monitor back to Dell for replacement until you get one that is to your liking, and hope that you get newer revision A02 or older A00 (very unlikely).

I have nailed this issue by the re-initializing the factory settings. Note that you may have to do this a few times before succeeding

Last edited:
The prefixes don't match, but the last 12 digits do.
So I would not sweat it.
In the "calibration report" the prefix is CN0DYMWD
whereas the s/n on the back of the monitor's prefix is CN-OPH5NY

Interestingly, if you look at the monitor EDID information you get a match on just the last 7 digits, and the prefix is instead just PH5NY

So there you have it, 3 different representations of the serial #.

I think you are mistaken there and I didn't want to leave it unrefuted because this post comes up when searching for serial mismatch. If the serial doesn't match fully then there is an issue.

The first group of 6 characters are the unique part of the serial (also called the DP/N) that should also match your monitor's EDID data. The remaining groups may be manufacturing codes as they appear as a postfix to many other serials.

I wonder if the serial on the packaging matched the the report or the monitor? If the box doesn't match the monitor then chances are Dell has the wrong serial against your order, and this may cause headaches if you require service or replacement.

I ended up returning my U3011 because the AG and input lag was too much for me. I am very picky when it comes to input lag tho. It wasn't that bad, but it was enough for me to notice..or maybe it was a placebo effect because it's such a huge display. The AG was also annoying when reading with a white background.

The whole process of returning this monitor made me a big fan of Dell/Dell's customer service. I have never gone through such an easy and helpful return in my life. Extremely helpful. I'm probably going to buy the Apple Cinema Display, but I highly doubt Apple will treat there customers as great as Dell did.

After using mine for about 3 weeks now the AG effect is definitely the negative of the monitor. Due to the sheer size it's extremely difficult to not notice it on a white background. I don't find it unbearable or anything like that but given a choice I would definitely prefer it not to be there.

Of course the positives for me far outweigh this one negative so it's definitely staying put on my desk!

Hey - I need some help here guys: got a U2711 yesterday after months of longing for either the U3011 or U2711. However, I didn't do my homework and was caught by surprise by the AG coating thing. I'm not sure if the ebay seller will take it back for a refund, but he also has U3011 and I'm thinking he might give me a credit on the U2711 if I buy a U3011 from him.

So my question is, for those that have used both the U2711 and U3011, is the AG coating any better (less obvious) on the 3011 than on the 2711?

I've read the threads on the issue with the U2711 (it's so bad, some people are actually striping the AG off their otherwise under warranty monitors.) I'm coming from a 2405WFP, which frankly is great, but after six years I thought I'd treat myself and am now really disappointed.

I have finally decided to pull the trigger on purchasing a U3011. I do...however...have some questions before I order. If anyone can help me, it would be greatly appreciated.

This will be used primarily for my PC but I also want to hook up my PS3. When hooked up, does it automatically output to 16:9? Or does it "stretch" it vertically to 16:10? I know the U3011 has multiple HDMI inputs so if I also wanted to hook up my XBox, can I switch between XBox, PS3, and PC easily?

Lastly, what are you guys doing for sound setup when running a PS3/XBox on it? I have a nice set of Logitech speakers currently for my PC.

Thanks again!

It's the same between the two

My ebay seller agreed to accept a return for a refund on the 2711 even though that's outside his stated return policy, so I feel like I dodged a bullet. I understand some people don't mind the anti-glare coating, but to me it was immediately noticeable and quite unpleasant. I'm really surprised Dell sells all the 3011 and 2711 with this treatment. IMO the 27" ACD looks so much better, reflections and all.

As an aside, a few months ago, I got an iPad 1 Android clone, which sports the same LG screen as the iPads. Admittedly, these screens throw a lot of reflections but to me they look great. The seller of the device includes an anti-glare screen protector. Well I put it on, and immediately thought this completely destroys the beauty of the screen and tore it off. Thinking back now, it looked exactly like the coating on the 2711.

Not trying to trash the Dell U's, but I would love if Dell offered both options - with and without the AG coating.

This will be used primarily for my PC but I also want to hook up my PS3. When hooked up, does it automatically output to 16:9? Or does it "stretch" it vertically to 16:10? I know the U3011 has multiple HDMI inputs so if I also wanted to hook up my XBox, can I switch between XBox, PS3, and PC easily?

At least on my Dell 3008WFP I think I may have had to set the aspect ratio correct in the display menus. Don't remember quite but it worked just fine in any case. Yes, you can switch between the inputs.

Good luck with the apple, still going to have high input lag. If you want low input lag look for the dell 3007wfp-hc, these did not come with a scaler hence super low input lag. Its the reason I still use it as my main gaming monitor and use my u3011 one as my secondary.

I ended up returning my U3011 because the AG and input lag was too much for me. I am very picky when it comes to input lag tho. It wasn't that bad, but it was enough for me to notice..or maybe it was a placebo effect because it's such a huge display. The AG was also annoying when reading with a white background.

The whole process of returning this monitor made me a big fan of Dell/Dell's customer service. I have never gone through such an easy and helpful return in my life. Extremely helpful. I'm probably going to buy the Apple Cinema Display, but I highly doubt Apple will treat there customers as great as Dell did.

Good luck with the apple, still going to have high input lag. If you want low input lag look for the dell 3007wfp-hc, these did not come with a scaler hence super low input lag. Its the reason I still use it as my main gaming monitor and use my u3011 one as my secondary.

HP ZR30W is also without a scaler and has very low input lag. :D

Have any of the rest of you noticed spots showing up on your screen that look sort of like specs of dust? I've just started to notice them down at the bottom of my u3011 where I count at least 10+ of them and they show up most prominently on a white background. I tried cleaning my screen after noticing them thinking it was in fact just dust but it wasn't unless its dust that has managed to get under the screen. Is this what dead pixels look like on really high resolution displays?

Last edited:
Not true unless you consider the zr30w to have high input lag. If that's true, the u2711 and u3011 have extremely high lag

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/apple27inchcinemadisplay_092610174635/24904.png

Admin edit - please don't hotlink images....B.B.S.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the interface input matters on input lag? I've read dual-dvi is native monitor signal input, so less processing and less input lag than DP / HDMI.

Any thoughts in this regard?

Last edited:
For those who have dealt with Dell Warranty on the U3011, how does it work exactly?

I heard that, even if you have a small gripe about the monitor, you can just call them up and say "my screen is going crazy" or "my screen is flickering"...and the folks over at Dell will just overnight you a new monitor without actually sending over an inspector (as long as your under warranty). Is this true?

Have any of the rest of you noticed spots showing up on your screen that look sort of like specs of dust? I've just started to notice them down at the bottom of my u3011 where I count at least 10+ of them and they show up most prominently on a white background. I tried cleaning my screen after noticing them thinking it was in fact just dust but it wasn't unless its dust that has managed to get under the screen. Is this what dead pixels look like on really high resolution displays?

I personally don't notice anything. My house does get real dusty....but I use this to clean all my electronics and dust off all my monitors

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-ED500-500-Watt-Electric/dp/B001J4ZOAW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308812284&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Metro Vacuum ED500 DataVac 500-Watt, 0.75-HP Electric Duster: Home Improvement@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21y6CfbhROL.@@AMEPARAM@@21y6CfbhROL[/ame]

I personally don't notice anything. My house does get real dusty....but I use this to clean all my electronics and dust off all my monitors

Amazon.com: Metro Vacuum ED500 DataVac 500-Watt, 0.75-HP Electric Duster: Home Improvement

Thanks, I may have to buy one of those now that you linked me to it :cool:. I just moved my main rig out of an FT02 and onto a Microcool Banchetto 101 rev 2 so I'm sure it will come in handy considering how quickly dust will collect on my machine with it being all open.

Buy yeah I don't know if these could just be dust particles that managed to get underneath the bottom of the screen or not but chances are they're probably dead pixels.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks, I may have to buy one of those now that you linked me to it :cool:. I just moved my main rig out of an FT02 and onto a Microcool Banchetto 101 rev 2 so I'm sure it will come in handy considering how quickly dust will collect on my machine with it being all open.

Buy yeah I don't know if these could just be dust particles that managed to get underneath the bottom of the screen or not but chances are they're probably dead pixels.

Yeah, I'm not totally sure...could you take a pic of it? Will it show up?

Also, from what I've heard, you can take advantage of your 3 year warranty, get a replacement monitor, no questions asked. Just call up Dell and say your monitor is flickering and looks like crap. They will just send you a new monitor (or refurbbed after a certain day) without actually sending an inspector. At least thats what I heard. It costs too much for Dell to have inspectors to verify the concern, so they just have it sent back to the factory

I'm not able to focus on my U3011 at all. I mean it's like looking at one of those 3d images where you have to cross your eyes just right to focus, but here I'm not able to.

I've been through 4 U3011's now and it's just so hard to explain to anyone what the problem is. I usually just tell them that my custom color mode is broken (because it always is) and that it makes a lot of electrical noise (because it always is) to have it replaced, but what's the point when they all have this problem?

We have 3 old 3008WFP models here in the office and plenty of other Dell screens, I have a bunch of screens at home both IPS and PVA and I've never seen this in another screen ever.

Anyone else experienced it? I have no idea what it is, but every single U3011 I've had has been completely unusable for me because the eye strain is just unbearable.

Sounds like you're sensitive to the slightly more aggressive AG on the 3011. I'd say just sell it and look for another monitor

Hmm, I thought AG caused the sparkling effect which I thought I was used to from years of using the older 3008WFP, but perhaps I'm wrong.

It would at leat explain why every U3011 is the same. :p

Hmm, I thought AG caused the sparkling effect which I thought I was used to from years of using the older 3008WFP, but perhaps I'm wrong.

It would at leat explain why every U3011 is the same. :p

Yeah, that's the only change that I can think of that might be causing your issues with the focusing. You could try the tape trick to see if it really is the issue, just put some clear packaging tape on the screen and that'll mostly eliminate the sparkling. If your eyes can focus easily then it's definitely the AG.

The AG coating doesn't bother me. I didn't even notice it, until people here mentioned it. Still great monitor, will keep this until something bigger and higher res comes along.

I think you are mistaken there and I didn't want to leave it unrefuted because this post comes up when searching for serial mismatch. If the serial doesn't match fully then there is an issue.

The first group of 6 characters are the unique part of the serial (also called the DP/N) that should also match your monitor's EDID data. The remaining groups may be manufacturing codes as they appear as a postfix to many other serials.

I wonder if the serial on the packaging matched the the report or the monitor? If the box doesn't match the monitor then chances are Dell has the wrong serial against your order, and this may cause headaches if you require service or replacement.

I recently purchased a U3011, and my serial numbers don't match either. The back of the monitor and the color calibration report that is

Anyone else have this issue as well? I know bad144 & dellu3011 both had issues discussed way earlier in this thread

Has anyone had the issue of an erratic blinking menu light? Just started happening and it blinks on random occurrence. Has anyone found a fix for this?

Has anyone had the issue of an erratic blinking menu light? Just started happening and it blinks on random occurrence. Has anyone found a fix for this?

what REV do you have? it should say on the back of the monitor

I read through this whole thread from start to finish....I don't recall the blinking menu light being a "common" problem with the U3011...I'm not saying there isn't someone who mentioned it....there might be, I just missed it, since its just so much info to intake. But I know its not as common as the custom color problem and backlight problems

Do you have any objects in close proximity to the menu buttons? They are capacitive.

Do you have any objects in close proximity to the menu buttons? They are capacitive.

I have REV A01. Ah, didn't realize they were capacitive. It seems they are VERY sensitive to change of light.

If I just hover my hand over the button (not even touching), it will light up. So basically, any movement in light/shadow causes the button to light... Quite annoying.

Last edited:
I have REV A01. Ah, didn't realize they were capacitive. It seems they are VERY sensitive to light changes.

If I just hover my hand over the button, it will light up. So basically, any movement in light/shadow causes the button to light... Quite annoying.

Yea they are really bad. I'm just glad that once I calibrated the displays I've not had to use them again.

what do you guys use to clean your U3011 screens?

also is there any precautions i should take to prevent any damage to the screen? such as, is it better to let the monitor go on stand by or just turn it off/on when i want? or should i just screen saver it?

what do you guys use to clean your U3011 screens?

I use "Endust anti-static LCD & Plasma Wipes" to clean my ZR30w. Found them at Target in the electronics section, these things work great and are specifically made for cleaning LCD screens. When cleaning a $1k+ monitor, its best not to take any chances :)

I use "Endust anti-static LCD & Plasma Wipes" to clean my ZR30w. Found them at Target in the electronics section, these things work great and are specifically made for cleaning LCD screens. When cleaning a $1k+ monitor, its best not to take any chances :)

thanks...cool screen name :D

I just picked up a U3011, brand new from Dell.

It is Rev A03. Says Assembled in Mexico. Manufactured June 2011

I will be reading through the entire thread shortly, but is there anything I can check for you guys? Please be specific on what I can check for you assuming I have not read this thread (I haven't) and do not know the current issues.

I just picked up a U3011, brand new from Dell.

It is Rev A03. Says Assembled in Mexico. Manufactured June 2011

I will be reading through the entire thread shortly, but is there anything I can check for you guys? Please be specific on what I can check for you assuming I have not read this thread (I haven't) and do not know the current issues.

hey, i recently got a U3011 as well...but mine is Rev 02...however I have no problem as of right now, knock on wood!

i have read through the whole thread...and the most common problems i have found are

1. dead or bright pixel....check your monitor using dead pixel buddy...its a free app on the internet

2. back light problems...some say one side of the screen is brighter than others

3. custom color bug...basically the owner will custom calibrate their monitor using a tool....then when the monitor goes to sleep/stand by...and if you wake it up, the colors become turn real ugly...

all of these problems seem to be on the older Rev 00 or 01....from what i remember, i don't think many users report much issues with Rev 02....so you should be okay for the most part since you are Rev 03

also if you have time, could you check your color report sheet...check the serial number thats located on top and see if it matches with the serial number on the back of the monitor...

I'll be here to help out any future U3011 owners...thanks

Back