Dell U3011 coming soon.

Is that even likely to happen?

It would seem like it would be easy for AMD and Nvidia to implement a feature allowing people to 3d render on any configuration they'd like, just like how you set up your desktop. If they'll do it? I have no idea.

There are currently two workarounds though.

1.) SoftTH: This works on DX9 titles only, by replacing the entire DX9 library with one that can render on any monitor setup you'd like. You have to use the latest alpha (which requires Vista or 7) for it to work properly, and this alpha dopes not yet have a GUI setup, so you have to edit config files manually. It is DX9 only, and there are some fears that by replacing the DX9 library with a custom one, some games may think its a cheat (though I have not seen a single instance where this has actually happened)

2.) Window Mode: If you set most games to windowed mode they will play just fine across any monitor in your desktop (this is why I think it would be fairly easy for Nvidia and AMD to implement this into the fullscreen modes as well). This can look kind of ugly, but there are programs like Shiftwindow that properly locate the window so that it looks like it is fullscreen even if it isn't.

Personally I already have one side monitor (so I am now P-L). I plan on adding the second P once I go SLI. (Since I am an Nvidia user I can't do it on one video card). I plan on messing with SoftTH when I get it and also testing Shiftwindow, hoping that some day they'll get around to supporting it.

As it stands, even if I had the money I am not really interested in going with 3 30" widescreens next to eachother. For me it would just be too big, and letterboxed. There is such a thing as too wide. Even in the 3 portrait mode wide screens I don't think I'd like it as I think I'd find the bezels annoying so close to the center. For me its P-L-P or bust :p

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat. I have a U3011 and a 2007fp in portrait. Just waiting to get a decent deal on another 2007fp I'll have my P-L-P setup as well. I have a pair of GTX 460's btw.

I will give SoftTH a try once I get my other monitor. I imagine playing FakeFactory's HL2 mod would be pretty sweet on a setup like this.

I considered 3 u2410's in portrait, but I really like my 30" for a main display. Movies kill on this thing. I do like the to game but between viewing docs, web pages etc. I spend more time at my desk doing other activities. 1600 horizontal lines of resolution is minimum for me, so 24" monitors in landscape is a non-starter. It just looks like viewing the game through a narrow slit in those setups and I have a hard time getting excited about that.

I just don't see AMD or Nvidia supporting configs like P-L-P, though. While I don't think it would be that difficult for them to do so, these setups are too rare for them to bother IMO.

I just don't see AMD or Nvidia supporting configs like P-L-P, though. While I don't think it would be that difficult for them to do so, these setups are too rare for them to bother IMO.

I feel like you are probably right.

Hopefully there will be more and better after market solutions down the road.

It would be nice to have something like SoftTH for DX11...

Got my second replacement. This one is perfect. =) I have also found out why my HD 6950 can't display native resolution for my U3011 when I plug my monitor to the bottom dvi port. Apparently it only has one dual-link and it's the top one and I have plugged my monitor to the bottom port. Dumb mistake...LOL.

If you want to calibrate your monitor using custom color mode, I would hold off on purchasing one until Dell fixes the problem.

What revision A0x? and what week was it built? Have you used custom color mode extensively and let it go to standby multiple times?

FYI, I forgot to note that this new replacement don't have the custom color problem as well. My last one does though. It's a A01. How do I check what week?

you can use this...

http://www.entechtaiwan.com/lib/softmccs.shtm

Be interesting to know the firmware version as well. I know very little about monitors, but it's possible to reset the lamp time on refurbs, but by comparing the week manufactured, revision number, and firmware model...it may be possible to determine if new replacements are actually refurbs. If you got one with a spotless screen, it's one of mine I returned. The new ones have a film from the person who wiped it down during assembly. You can't tell until shining a bright light at the screen. I don't mind either way....still waiting for Dell to announce a fix or new version.

My replacement which is also an A01 has the custom mode color problem. It just takes many cycles of standby and resume to show up.

Someone from Dell just called, asking me to rate customer service 1 through 9. They referenced my "closed" case number. While the service was good, they have yet to fix the problem, so I declined to comment. I previously asked the "escalated" Dell service person to notify me when the engineers solve the problem. I don't think they will ever contact me if there is a fix, so I will have to rely on information from Chris at the related thread on the Dell forum, or from information you guys provide. If a new version or firmware silently appears on the market, please notify me, so I can "re-open" my case. Thanks.

Mine has the CC mode problem but if I set it to CC mode and never switch to any other mode, it works fine. I ran CC mode for 4 days and then switched to gaming mode. Went back to CC mode and the colors were all whacked.

I don't have anything to calibrate with so CC mode is really useless for me so it's not a biggie.

My unit exhibited the CC bug a single time right after I hooked it up. It has yet to reappear. I used it extensively in CC mode for days, often awaking the monitor from standby and its been good. Other times, while using a different mode, I've switched to CC a couple times a day and let it go into standby to see if the bug reappeared. It hasn't. I've tried about everything under the sun over the past couple weeks to recreate the problem, but have been unsuccessful.

I decided not to RMA the monitor.

What revision A0x? and what week was it built? Have you used custom color mode extensively and let it go to standby multiple times?

a01 built in mexico. Sorry don't know when it was built as I just returned it. Yeah, I used the custom color mode and went through the tests to try to simulate the problems. I forgot to say that I had the bug the first time I tried it and it was a weird yellow color. I posted about it earlier in this thread. After unplugging and replugging the monitor the problem went away for the whole 2 weeks even after switching to other modes/going standby etc

edit: just read low roller's post above and I had the same experience

How long is that code good for ?

it says it expires mar 13. i would buy it now if i could but im going to have to wait a couple weeks. wish i could jump on that sale though.

...1100 for a 3011.. that is just too tempting. why did i have to open this thread?

Last edited:
I am seeing many people on this thread using sRGB and adjusting brightness to the desired level. If I am not doing any calibrations to my U3011, what is the best color mode to use?

it says it expires mar 13. i would buy it now if i could but im going to have to wait a couple weeks. wish i could jump on that sale though.

...1100 for a 3011.. that is just too tempting. why did i have to open this thread?

Hello, I bought this monitor last month with this same offer. What I did was activate a Google Alert for this monitor. This offer, and others, pop up quite frequently. All you have to do is wait 'till Google alerts you of the next offer.

Ultra Wide,

I would use sRGB since it is factory calibrated to a deltaE below 5 by Dell. The calibration report that came with it indicates the test standard and results. Until custom calibration gets fixed, I use sRGB with 0 brightness, 55 contrast, and 50 sharp. All three U3011's I eyeballed, were wicked bright out of the box. I have a rare eye disease, which may add some photo-phobic bias to my opinion, but other reviewers also mentioned it.

I usually borrow a colorimeter, so I haven't checked my latest monitor against the test report values...which were actually pretty good. All below 2 except for a couple shades of gray. If I ever get a monitor that doesn't shit the bed on custom color mode, I will borrow the colorimeter, calibrate it, and report back.

I will wait a month or two to see if a new revision appears before I purchase another one for the office. Aside from the custom color mode, some backlight bleeding, and piss poor fitting of the panel in the black housing, I think it's a great monitor at 1200-1300 USD.

When buying with a coupon code, Dell charges tax through small business, which is about 70 bucks.

can i connect this monitor just through HDMI? I have no idea what dual link DVI means. my video card is a nvidia 285

I apologize if this has been covered to death. I'm wondering if anybody has compared the AG coating of the 3011 to the 2410. I have seen the 2410. I'm considering a 3011, but I can't find one to view in the Seattle area.

Just pulled the trigger on this. $1236 after taxes and shipping to California.

Was very tempted to get a second one, but I wanna test it out and see if I like it... with all the AG coating complaints and all...

It was too tempting... I just put in my order. $1180 .not bad at all! been wanting a 2560x1600 display for a long time.

Did you guys consider the ZR30W by any chance?

Sure. But seeing how long I usually keep a monitor, the extra ports, scaler and OSD will probably allow me to use this monitor for anything else I might want to use it for years down the road.

Called Dell Home, got extra $75 off on top of 25% off, pretty close to the best 35% off deal from Nov '10. $1226.98 with 5 year warranty and CA tax.

Did you guys consider the ZR30W by any chance?

Sure. But seeing how long I usually keep a monitor, the extra ports, scaler and OSD will probably allow me to use this monitor for anything else I might want to use it for years down the road.

Ditto again here. I don't spend over a grand on anything before careful consideration. I see getting the most for my money with this vs HP's 30 incher with all the extra's this monitor has including the OSD. I'm not a Dell fanboy either, I currently use a HP w2408 I've had since 2006-2007.

I picked up one from the same deal 2 months ago, this monitor cost me as much as the desktop I built myself, but man, this screen is just AMAZING! Before I had the FHD2401 24in TN panel from Gateway that I bought for $180 about 2 years ago and thought that was great. After witnessing the hype that was S-IPS with my own eyes, I am now a convert and can never go back. I go over to a friend's and see his 24in monitor, and wonder wow, that screen is pretty small.

TL;DR - I absolutely adore this monitor, definitely one of the best purchases I ever made in my life!

Hello, I bought this monitor last month with this same offer. What I did was activate a Google Alert for this monitor. This offer, and others, pop up quite frequently. All you have to do is wait 'till Google alerts you of the next offer.

Don't mind me asking. Where did you get it from?
wink.gif

Hi guys. Just purchased this monitor. Anything I should do out of the box to get it up and running smoothly?
It will be running dvi and replacing my original Apple 30" HD Display.

Anyone replaced their old Apple with the new Dell? Does it look a lot better?

Thanks

I should add I'll mostly be using this for gaming. Even as old as my Apple is I notice nothing really wrong with it such as imput lat etc. Hopefully this new dell wont bother me with the coating etc.

Last edited:
Hi guys. Just purchased this monitor. Anything I should do out of the box to get it up and running smoothly?
It will be running dvi and replacing my original Apple 30" HD Display.

Anyone replaced their old Apple with the new Dell? Does it look a lot better?

Thanks

I should add I'll mostly be using this for gaming. Even as old as my Apple is I notice nothing really wrong with it such as imput lat etc. Hopefully this new dell wont bother me with the coating etc.

If the coating does bother you, remember that you have 21 days from when you place the order to return it :)

I picked up one from the same deal 2 months ago, this monitor cost me as much as the desktop I built myself, but man, this screen is just AMAZING! Before I had the FHD2401 24in TN panel from Gateway that I bought for $180 about 2 years ago and thought that was great. After witnessing the hype that was S-IPS with my own eyes, I am now a convert and can never go back. I go over to a friend's and see his 24in monitor, and wonder wow, that screen is pretty small.

TL;DR - I absolutely adore this monitor, definitely one of the best purchases I ever made in my life!

That tracks very close to my own experience. The U3011 has been an incredible upgrade for me as well.

Back