Dell U3011 coming soon.

Been thinking about selling my pair of U2411s for one of these. Sick of dealing with high GPU temps due to the dual setup.

Haven't kept up on the Dell discounts lately. What should I be looking to pay for this from Dell directly and how often are they discounting this one?

They have it for $1500 right now.

Thanks, Shawn

Call Dell and negotiate over the phone.
You should be able to lower the price by a few hundred. FYI, the lowest price so far has been around $1,100.

I bought 2 of these...then realized 2 30" inchers was just too much for me to look at, and am looking now to sell the 2nd.

I'd return the second for a refund, but the window for cash refunds on my order has expired. The monitor doesn't have any bleed, pixel, or OSD problems. Color has been calibrated in custom and works great. Has about 12hrs use time on the monitor. Full retail box/items/packaging.

I'll let my second one go for $950 if anyone is interested - feel free to PM or e-mail me.

Been thinking about selling my pair of U2411s for one of these. Sick of dealing with high GPU temps due to the dual setup.

Haven't kept up on the Dell discounts lately. What should I be looking to pay for this from Dell directly and how often are they discounting this one?

They have it for $1500 right now.

Thanks, Shawn

I too did not like the high idle temps that running an eyefinity setup caused (cards not fully downclocking) so I bought a U3011. However, I quickly missed having multiple monitors and purchased a U2211H to run in portrait mode. I also grabbed a twenty dollar, passively-cooled 5450 to run it since I would not be gaming on that screen. Now I get fully downclocked cards, and multiple monitors. Just something to think about.

I wouldn't pay 1500 for it. Even at the ~1100 dollar price I feel that is a bit high due to the uniformity and tinting issues both my screens have displayed.

I bought 2 of these...then realized 2 30" inchers was just too much for me to look at, and am looking now to sell the 2nd.

I'd return the second for a refund, but the window for cash refunds on my order has expired. The monitor doesn't have any bleed, pixel, or OSD problems. Color has been calibrated in custom and works great. Has about 12hrs use time on the monitor. Full retail box/items/packaging.

I'll let my second one go for $950 if anyone is interested - feel free to PM or e-mail me.

Did you modify any service menu settings? Where was it made? I'm thinking of going 30" x 30" vs. 30" x 27" for my setup.

30" & 27"

Last edited:

Do you live in United States or Europe?

I'm having some flicker on my screen and I'm wondering if it's the screen or my graphics card. I haven't noticed it before and seeing as both the screen and the graphics card are new it could be either.

It's sporadic, but on average 10-15 times an hour the screen will turn completely black for what I'm guessing is one frame (1/60 second).

I have the Dell U3011 and an Asus GTX 580.

Anyone else experienced something similar?

It's quite annoying. :p

I'm having some flicker on my screen and I'm wondering if it's the screen or my graphics card. I haven't noticed it before and seeing as both the screen and the graphics card are new it could be either.

It's sporadic, but on average 10-15 times an hour the screen will turn completely black for what I'm guessing is one frame (1/60 second).

I never saw anything like that with my GTX 280. I just upgraded to a GTX 580 and don't have any issues like the one you reported above as well.

Have you looked at power management in your OS? I just installed windows 7 64bit and my crt kept going out randomly, besides sleep mode, it was set to put the monitor in standby if I was left inactive for 5 mins.

Got my u3011 today! No tinting or dead/stuck pixels that I can see. It is a pretty amazing screen

That's nice. Sounds like you should stick to the ZR30W thread. ;)

Like darklight_tr said, performance was close and many of us who bought the U3011 chose this monitor due to the extra features that the ZR30W lacks. And the fact that it does not have a blinking problem.

You have an awesome setup and I'm glad you like yours, but you continually tout their "superiority" and when you come into the U3011 thread and post that they performed better it sounds like you're trying to justify your purchase. Why not just acknowledge that they are both excellent monitors and some people will prefer the HP while the Dell will suit others better? That's how I look at it, anyway.

Hello,

As for 2410 and 2711, I have a question for those who use this screen with (mini) DisplayPort to DisplayPort connection.
Once plugged and audio sent through DisplayPort, is it possible to adjust volume settings on the source (a Mac for instance) ?

I know that if you connect a screen using DisplayPort to HDMI connection, volume control will be unavailable from the source.
TS3520----mul.png

Thank you for your help !

Paul

Anyone know when the next deal for the U3011 will come along? Looking to get the monitor for under $1,100 =)

Call Dell and negotiate over the phone.
You should be able to lower the price by a few hundred. FYI, the lowest price so far has been around $1,100.

I just got off the phone with Dell and was able to haggle down to $1,099.00 for it. Total shipped is $1,145.43 and it should be here Tuesday.

The experience was much like buying a used car where the salesman keeps vanishing to discuss with a manager and comes back. I think he did this 4 times before he got the price to where I would purchase. This price is perfect because I also had my eye on the zr30w for $1,149.00 shipped.

By the way, the same haggling did not work when I tried in the Dell chat window, so I picked up the phone instead and called them. Very nice customer service too!

i have a U2711 and use it with my MBP miniDP to DP and volume controls work just fine.

Hello,

As for 2410 and 2711, I have a question for those who use this screen with (mini) DisplayPort to DisplayPort connection.
Once plugged and audio sent through DisplayPort, is it possible to adjust volume settings on the source (a Mac for instance) ?

I know that if you connect a screen using DisplayPort to HDMI connection, volume control will be unavailable from the source.
TS3520----mul.png

Thank you for your help !

Paul

I am ready to pay $1,000 + taxes for this baby.
I intend to make a move before next summer.

There was a mention that the 3008's card reader reads SDHC; this U3011 apparently doesn't, at least it's not reading my Patriot 16GB Class 10 SDHC.

How's the AG coating on the U3011 compare to the U2410? I'm thinking of getting a 30" and looking at the U3011 but I'm not that big of a fan with the AG coating as I'm currently using the U2410 now.

Everyone complains about AG coating. I haven't even noticed it. But what I sure did notice is how slow is this monitor to warm up. In first 10 minutes after power on green/yellow color cast is by far worst I've ever seen on any monitor (and I own 3 Dell's and have worked with many other models of all sizes).

Thank you for the response, I've heard the AG coating is less aggressive compare to the U2410 but once again I still need confirmation on this. On a side note, I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on this monitor and does anyone happen to know if I can apply both EPP and the coupon code at the same time?

It depends on coupon. On some coupons it specifically states that you can't combine them with other offers. If you buy it on-line it will tell you if coupon is denied or not before check out. If you call Dell sales and if you get denied, try calling again (and again). Sometimes you can get representative who will do it.
When I got mine, Dell sales rep applied 15% off coupon on top of $300 off sale, even though coupon was not supposed to be stackable. Moreover, he sold me additional item that is not available through Dell Canada (but it was listed on Dell's US web site, and all he asked for is Dell SKU from US web site). Then he applied 15% off from coupon on that additional item too.
So, it really depends who you get on the phone.

It depends on coupon. On some coupons it specifically states that you can't combine them with other offers. If you buy it on-line it will tell you if coupon is denied or not before check out. If you call Dell sales and if you get denied, try calling again (and again). Sometimes you can get representative who will do it.
When I got mine, Dell sales rep applied 15% off coupon on top of $300 off sale, even though coupon was not supposed to be stackable. Moreover, he sold me additional item that is not available through Dell Canada (but it was listed on Dell's US web site, and all he asked for is Dell SKU from US web site). Then he applied 15% off from coupon on that additional item too.
So, it really depends who you get on the phone.

Appreciate for the info, I'm still in a dilemma whether I should get it or just get a used 30". I'll call Dell in the next couple days to find out.

Got my U3011 today (yes, on a Sunday via FedEx) and man, this is a very nice display. I've only had it hooked up for a couple of hours now and have only run a few games through it but I am very impressed!

Only thing, it does have one dead (dark) pixel. My desktop background is black tight now, so of course I can't see it and even in a game or app I have to really search for it and still cannot find it sometimes. The dead pixel is towards the top-right, about 4" from the top and about 5" from the rightmost area of the screen.

Since the warrantee is so good with these I think I might hold on for awehile and if no other pixels show up dead, I will not be returning it.

I am otherwise throroughly happy with this display. I play mostly A-10 beta right now but for that and the other games I've tried so far, I am just blown away!

I thought about posting in the video cards thread but I wanted to bump this thread and I feel like this issue pertains more closely to the display than the video card.

I ordered the U3011 a couple days ago, and I'm quite excited to be upgrading from 2x 19inch non-widescreen LCDs that are about 8 years old. Now I'm contemplating upgrading my one EVGA gtx 470 to two for SLI. (Especially since the card has dropped about $100 since I bought mine) I'm afraid I won't be able to play games competitively in 2560x1600 with the FPS that one gtx 470 provides.

Can anyone offer some insight on my situation. I play League of Legends and StarCraft 2 mostly. As well as WoW, Team Fortress 2, Dawn of War 2, a little Global Agenda, and I'm looking forward to Dragon Age 2. And of course I like to play with high graphic settings, but I could care less about AA honestly.

System specs:
Xclio Blackhawk Color Full Tower
ASUS P6X58D-E
Intel Core i7 Processor i7-930
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) 7-8-7-24-2N
EVGA GeForce GTX 470 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5
CORSAIR HX Series 1000HX
Intel X-25M 80GB
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
LG Black 10X BD-ROM
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Everything is stock speed for now, I don't know enough to OC... yet. I've done research on the scaling of SLI but I can't find any tests/benchmarks for the games I play.

Everything is stock speed for now, I don't know enough to OC... yet. I've done research on the scaling of SLI but I can't find any tests/benchmarks for the games I play.

You could get SLI if you want, but your gtx 470 should be good enough to play those games. I remember my gtx 280 ran TF2 great @ max settings on my 30"

Last edited:
Kinda a dumb question, but I just ordered one of these and wanted to know what the best type of connection/port to use? I'm guessing a dual-link DVI?

Kinda a dumb question, but I just ordered one of these and wanted to know what the best type of connection/port to use? I'm guessing a dual-link DVI?

I am using a DVI dual-link with no issue.

I think the display can do 10bit colour only through DisplayPort though.

Well the U3011 comes with a DVI, DP and HDMI cable so I guess I'll try them out and see if I can tell any difference. I'm just lazy and don't want to read up on which port is technically superior since my 5 year old 22" only has an HDMI and VGA

I think the display can do 10bit colour only through DisplayPort though.

I don't know if that is true or false (I thought DVI supported 10bit color just fine), but unless you have a professional video card, like a Quadro or FireGL or something like that you won't be able to take advantage of 10bit color anyway. Consumer level video cards just don't do 10bit color.

Zarathustra[H];1036832377 said:
I think DVI, HDMI, and DP are all roughly equivalent. Just don't use VGA.

HDMI has a limit of 1920x1080, I think.

I also ordered my second one today with this 25% off coupon code: $XC?$30KLF86VM
-$375 :)
Free 3-5 Day Shipping :)
+$93.12 CA Tax :mad:
+$8 State Environmental Fee :rolleyes:

$1225.37 Delivered. Not the best price ever but less than the December coupon I used on the last one and always better than list with shiping and tax. $1625 Ouch!

Anyone want a two month old U2711? :)

HDMI has a limit of 1920x1080, I think.

That is inaccurate.

HDMI 1.0 - 1.2 has this limitation.

1.3 supports up to 2560x1600 and 1.4 up to 4096×2160.

In order to support the higher resolutions, all of your components (monitor, cable and video card) must support the higher HDMI versions.

The system will use the lowest common denominator of the three.

The Dell 3011 uses HDMI 1.3.

Lets assume the following:

Monitor: 1.3
Cable: 1.2
Video Card: 1.4

In this case, the system will operate in 1.2 mode, and as such the highest resolution will be 1920x1200. Upgrade the cable, and it will work at 1.3, allowing 2560x1600.

Back