Dell U3011 coming soon.

The only thing substantial you can't do is set a native white point. However with a custom profile you can still set an accurate color temp.

I've calibrated displays without the benefit of a OSD before and the results are always significantly worse than when you can tweak each color separately.

On another note, my U3011 seems to be a dust magnet. Is there anything you guys do to keep dust off of your monitors?

dust your house once every couple months.

If you have forced air:
Change the filter.
Get the ducts cleaned.
If you don’t have forded air and have the windows open often, get a forced air system or dust everything once a month or more.

An air ionizer works well if you can place close by and you leave it running 24/7.

Thanks for the advice. I live in an apartment (carpeted) and vacuum every week or so. I realize that dust is a normal part of life...will probably have to wipe the monitor down with a microfiber cloth every once in a while.

Will also look into getting a small ionizer.

Thanks for the advice. I live in an apartment (carpeted) and vacuum every week or so. I realize that dust is a normal part of life...will probably have to wipe the monitor down with a microfiber cloth every once in a while.

Will also look into getting a small ionizer.

I find carpiting and open windows to be some of the worst offenders. I made the mastake of carpiting my home office. Go to OfficeMax or Office Depot and get the biggest chair floor mat they have. I used 2 of them, back to back and it helped. As mentioned above, get a room air pureifier and put it close to your desk.

Dust and or lint is a serious problem. I fix computers as a side job and the very first thing I do is take the computer out to my garage and blow out the case and psu. It usually makes a big cloud of dust. I have seen psus die from being glogged with lint.

All of the vendors have gone with shiny black plastic, laptops, displays, TVs and it really kind of sucks.

Dave

I snagged a refurb a week or so ago. Should be here tomorrow. Hoping I get lucky. This is my first "serious" monitor. All I've ever had was TN panels, and my current Acer GD235HZ is really shitty for anything outside games. Hoping for good things with the 3011. I don't think I'm as picky as some people in this thread, but as long as backlight bleeding is minimal and there are no dead pixels I'll likely be ecstatic. :p

I snagged a refurb a week or so ago. Should be here tomorrow. Hoping I get lucky. This is my first "serious" monitor. All I've ever had was TN panels, and my current Acer GD235HZ is really shitty for anything outside games. Hoping for good things with the 3011. I don't think I'm as picky as some people in this thread, but as long as backlight bleeding is minimal and there are no dead pixels I'll likely be ecstatic. :p

Hopefully you'll have no pixel issues (my first one had a stuck green pixel) and they send a dual-link DVI cable (required), as they've been including single-link DVI cables with some of the latest refurbs.

Can I get away with an HDMI cable? I have the dual-link DVI cable from my Acer I could use if need be.

And yeah, I'm worried about dead pixels. But if there is even 1 I'll send it back. I can tolerate many things, but dead pixels is not one of them.

Can I get away with an HDMI cable? I have the dual-link DVI cable from my Acer I could use if need be.

And yeah, I'm worried about dead pixels. But if there is even 1 I'll send it back. I can tolerate many things, but dead pixels is not one of them.

The only thing to note regarding dead pixels is there needs to be a refurb in stock in order for you to get a replacement. If not, you have to keep checking the Outlet until one comes in. Luckily, they seem to be coming back in stock frequently as of late.

I am unsure if the HDMI interface on this display is capable of running it at the native res. I would recommend using DisplayPort or dual-link DVI.

Unless your Acer is a high resolution monitor it probably did not come with a dual-link DVI cable. See here for reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

Has it been confirmed that monitors from the Outlet only come with a 90-day warranty?

Mine seems to come with 252 day warranty. Some people are getting a full 3 years out of it, so I guess it all depends. I just got mine and it was an A00.

The only thing to note regarding dead pixels is there needs to be a refurb in stock in order for you to get a replacement. If not, you have to keep checking the Outlet until one comes in. Luckily, they seem to be coming back in stock frequently as of late.

I am unsure if the HDMI interface on this display is capable of running it at the native res. I would recommend using DisplayPort or dual-link DVI.

Unless your Acer is a high resolution monitor it probably did not come with a dual-link DVI cable. See here for reference:

I have the 3D Acer monitor, it requires a dual link DVI cable to achieve 120HZ. I too am not sure if the HDMI cable is enough to run 2560x1600. Guess there's only one way to know for sure. :p

Mine seems to come with 252 day warranty. Some people are getting a full 3 years out of it, so I guess it all depends. I just got mine and it was an A00.

How did you find out what warranty it carried? Pardon me if this question has been asked before. Also, can anyone tell me if we can check how many hours are on our refurb unit?

I'm getting my 30" soon.
Qns, how do u guys calibrate the colours? U guys have a colour input list to follow?

I have the 3D Acer monitor, it requires a dual link DVI cable to achieve 120HZ. I too am not sure if the HDMI cable is enough to run 2560x1600. Guess there's only one way to know for sure. :p

Did a little research, apparently HDMI only does 1080p. So there's that.

Zarathustra[H];1036659153 said:
the HDMI input on the monitor, or the HDMI standard in general?

So much for future 1440p compatibility :p

A little research suggests that HDMI 1.4 supports both 1440p and Ethernet and is backwards compatible with the same plug, but requires a special cable.

Does anyone know what version of HDMI our Dell U3011 monitor imputs are? The webpage just lists them as HDMI.

Zarathustra[H];1036659185 said:
A little research suggests that HDMI 1.4 supports both 1440p and Ethernet and is backwards compatible with the same plug, but requires a special cable.

Does anyone know what version of HDMI our Dell U3011 monitor imputs are? The webpage just lists them as HDMI.

According to wikipedia, these are the max resolutions:

HDMI 1.0 - 1.2; 1920x1200 60hz
HDMI 1.3: 2560x1600 75hz
HDMI 1.4: 4096x2160 24hz

Still have not found any info on the HDMI version of the Dell U3011, but as mentioned before, a special v1.3 or v1.4 cable may be required to hit higher resolutions. (if both the video card and monitor support v1.3 or higher.)

If I were to get one of these for gaming, how would the response time compare to say an LG L246 at 8ms. (Seems like monitors can have the same response time but ghost a lot more/less than others)

If I were to get one of these for gaming, how would the response time compare to say an LG L246 at 8ms. (Seems like monitors can have the same response time but ghost a lot more/less than others)

I use mine for gaming/watching movies and coming from a Samsung T260HD with supposed response time of 5ms I can tell you the Dell out preforms it in everyway BIG TIME!!! I can tell a major difference in playing games I have no issues with ghosting or input lag.

I use mine for gaming/watching movies and coming from a Samsung T260HD with supposed response time of 5ms I can tell you the Dell out preforms it in everyway BIG TIME!!! I can tell a major difference in playing games I have no issues with ghosting or input lag.

Yep, I have no ghosting at all even in fast paced high contrast scenes.

As far as input lag goes, I don't notice it either, but I am probably not your best resource, because I am personally convinced that the slight differences in input lag between different model displays are within the "undetectable to humans" range, and people complaining about it are experiencing the placebo effect.

Measured input lag seems to be in the 24ms range, which is fairly typical for scaled LCD panels.

This review addresses the ghosting and input lag of this monitor compared to others out there pretty well. It does show some ghosting in his picture samples, but I don't think that is perceptible at all to the naked eye, without using a camera with a fast shutter speed.

Thats both good and surprising to hear. How does moving text look? I can't read it at all on my L246.

This has probably been asked, but I have searched. I just got my Dell U3011 and freaking love it. However, I have a question. It came with a cable marked 'dual-link DVI' on the cable itself on a sticker which I can plug into one of my 6970's. I did this the first time around, and I could only get 1920x1080 resolution as the max, no matter what I did.

Then I took out the displayport adapter and plugged that in, and got 2560x1600. It works, but I want to know why the DVI cable didn't work. Did I do something wrong? Do I need 2 cables? Which is better (lower input lag) Thanks.

This has probably been asked, but I have searched. I just got my Dell U3011 and freaking love it. However, I have a question. It came with a cable marked 'dual-link DVI' on the cable itself on a sticker which I can plug into one of my 6970's. I did this the first time around, and I could only get 1920x1080 resolution as the max, no matter what I did.

Then I took out the displayport adapter and plugged that in, and got 2560x1600. It works, but I want to know why the DVI cable didn't work. Did I do something wrong? Do I need 2 cables? Which is better (lower input lag) Thanks.

See here:

When you look at the pins for the DVI cable, is it single-link or dual-link? A single-link cable will have a gap between the two major sets of pins while a dual-link cable will not. A dual-link DVI cable is required to run this monitor at the native 2560x1600 resolution.

As for DisplayPort vs DVI I would use DisplayPort as it is the newer standard. There shouldn't be any input lag difference between the two.

Last edited:
Can a mix of isopropyl alcohol and water damage the AG coating? I used this to clean a spot on my screen and a bit of streaking can be seen (only when looking very closely and under a direct light source).

I have now switched to distilled water. I suspect I may have simply wiped away some of the streaks that came with the monitor (it appears to have been wiped down prior to being shipped).

Can a mix of isopropyl alcohol and water damage the AG coating? I used this to clean a spot on my screen and a bit of streaking can be seen (only when looking very closely and under a direct light source).

I have now switched to distilled water. I suspect I may have simply wiped away some of the streaks that came with the monitor (it appears to have been wiped down prior to being shipped).

I've used the isopropyl alcohol and water solution before but I've shied away from it due to fear of damage.

I've switched to something similar to this:

http://www.digitalinnovations.com/lcd-plasma-screen-cleaning/screen-cleaning.html

Unfortunately it isn't streak free but I try to get it as close as possible. The thing I learned is that you NEVER clean the screen while it is powered up and warm as it evaporates the solution quickly, causing a TON of streaking. It is best to clean it after your LCD has been power off for a while.

I also recommend using a microfiber cloth if you aren't already using one.

just ordered mine :)

1225.00 . . . new . .. should be here thurs or fri next week.

i can't wait to game on this baby. this will (hopefully) be an upgrade over my
hannspree HF298H.

just ordered mine :)

1225.00 . . . new . .. should be here thurs or fri next week.

i can't wait to game on this baby. this will (hopefully) be an upgrade over my
hannspree HF298H.

Congrats! You will love gaming on the U3011 and be amazed everytime you fire a game up, I know I was and still am after 2 months.

Got my refurb yesterday. What an amazing monitor!

No dead pixels, the thing looked great out of the box but I will likely adjust it after I get use to it. Games look amazing at 2560x1600 and all that extra space makes browsing the internet and desktop usage 10x better.

This thing is huge too. I had a 24" before and thought "Eh, only 6" bigger probably won't look all that much bigger" then I came home and saw the box. Looked like I ordered a 40" plasma :p

This monitor is worth the price. I paid $950, and would have probably paid $1100~ for it (with that coupon that's out) so I could get the 3 year warranty. But oh well.

EDIT: Nevermind on the second refurb being perfect - I discovered several dead sub pixels in the lower left hand corner. Crap.

Got my refurb yesterday. What an amazing monitor!

Congrats! Out of curiosity, your monitor come with a single-link or dual-link DVI cable?

Last edited:
Back