Dell U3011 coming soon.

Holy crap, someone else is having the same issues as me. I posted about this on the Dell forums and the guy said it was cause I was using a Mac as an input :rolleyes:

I saw your thread on the dell forum. That dell rep is a complete idiot.

Custom color will break on that last one as well. :) I thought it worked on the last one I received as well, but it broke after a while just like the others.

You are correct. It worked right for several days and then turned completely green.

If pointing a light source at a black screen, does anyone else notice streaks running across the monitor? Mine looks as though it was wiped/cleaned.

Just want to make sure they didn't send me a used panel. :rolleyes:

If pointing a light source at a black screen, does anyone else notice streaks running across the monitor? Mine looks as though it was wiped/cleaned.

Just want to make sure they didn't send me a used panel. :rolleyes:

IIRC, all of them are wiped during production. The streaking is more noticeable on some units than others.

I'd like to take a moment to thank the contributors to this thread that took the time to post.

A buying decision for a monitor is something I personally agonize over and having received my U3011 yesterday I have to say I am absolutely overjoyed with my decision. Color (so far on AdobeRGB preset) and sharpness at native resolution are very good and excellent, respectively, and I am quite satisfied with the response time of several of my favorite FPS's at 2560x1600.

Hat's off [H] forumers!

IIRC, all of them are wiped during production. The streaking is more noticeable on some units than others.

Can someone please confirm this so I can quell my paranoia? To me, it is only visible if I shine a light at an angle and am inches away from the screen. Otherwise not noticeable.

Can someone please confirm this so I can quell my paranoia? To me, it is only visible if I shine a light at an angle and am inches away from the screen. Otherwise not noticeable.

So after reading your posts, I turned off my monitor and shined a bright led flashlight at the screen... i saw a very streaky wipe-down look on it... so i took out a microfiber towel, got it wet and wiped down the screen... took another dry microfiber towel and dried the screen off.... the streaking is completely gone. Looks like it was just some residue streaking from the factory.... no damage to the screen once cleaned off.

How is the response time for this model, particularly in online FPS games :) ?

I have been playing black ops and mw2 for hours everyday since I got mine and I don't notice any input lag or ghosting. I switched from a 26 inch TN panel and let me tell you I will never go back to a TN panel ever again IPS ftw!!!

How is the response time for this model, particularly in online FPS games :) ?

I just played bfbc2 for 5 hours straight and my U3011 is on par with my old NEC 90gx2. In other words I cannot detect any input lag or any response time related issues. It is good to go. The only "problem" I've had is realzing that I "need" another 480 gtx to max out ALL display settings.

I connected my PS3 and I agree completely with what the fellas over at www.flatpanelshd.com have to say:

" The picture quality is pretty good although the scaling from the PS3 resolution to Dell U3011’s 2560x1600 makes the picture appear a bit softer – only visible from a close distance. The gaming experience was good and I saw no distracting trailing or blurring on fast motion. Input lag, when connected to a gaming console, was decent as well but not perfect."

Blu Rays look amazing via PS3.

My panel, U3011t Rev 00 Made in China (I dont know what the "t" means. The panel itself does not have the "t", but the documentation does. ), appears to have a crap load of backlight bleeding only visible in dark room with a black background. It does'nt bug be. I will post pictures later.

Last edited:
I just played bfbc2 for 5 hours straight and my U3011 is on par with my old NEC 90gx2. In other words I cannot detect any input lag or any response time related issue. It is good to go. The only "problem" I've had is coming to the conclusion that I "need" another 480 gtx to max out ALL display settings. If you want eye candy, then you will need a lot of GPU horse power.

I'm using two 480's in SLI on my 1080p Alpha S-IPS TV, and everything plays fine.

I still have to finish Metro 2033, besides this my other games are not very demanding.

Seriously considering jumping to 2500x1600 for browsing and games.

Do you usually get away with using less Anti Aliasing at this resolution compared to 1080p on a 28" or 32" for example?

I'm using two 480's in SLI on my 1080p Alpha S-IPS TV, and everything plays fine.

I still have to finish Metro 2033, besides this my other games are not very demanding.

Do you usually get away with using less Anti Aliasing at this resolution compared to 1080p on a 28" or 32" for example?

Theoretically you should.

The only game I have been playing since I got this monitor has broken AA (deferred rendering) so I can't say for sure.

That being said, the un-AA'd jagged edges do seem slightly less offensive at this smaller dot pitch than on my 24" 1920x1200 monitor.

Yes, at 2560x1600, there's really only a need for 2xAA.

I also can say at 3240x1920, I didn't need any AA what so ever and I didn't see a jaggy at all.

The same should also be true for 4800x2560, but I haven't played any games yet in that resolution.

Yes, at 2560x1600, there's really only a need for 2xAA.

I also can say at 3240x1920, I didn't need any AA what so ever and I didn't see a jaggy at all.

The same should also be true for 4800x2560, but I haven't played any games yet in that resolution.

What screen do you have that supports 3250x1920?

My feeling is that the absolute resolution doesn't have much impact on how much AA you need.

Put a relatively high resolution on a large enough screen and you'll still see aliasing.

To reduce the appearance of aliasing, you must shrink it to the point where your eyes have difficulty making it out, so a large resolution on a small monitor would probably be effective.

Since the 30" 2560x1600 panels are 25% larger in linear diagonal size than a 24" 1920x1200 monitor and 33% larger in resolution, there will be an improvement, but it will be small.

How large is your 1080p Alpha S-IPS TV? This will determine how much of a difference you will notice in this regard.

I love this monitor i've been playing bad company 2 and it still blows mind mind. I thought my 3007wfp-hc was nice but this thing jus kills it.

I think I read about this earlier in the thread but I can't find it now - do any of the owners in the thread have/notice the menu select button (directly above the power button) blinks blue inconsistently?

I think I read about this earlier in the thread but I can't find it now - do any of the owners in the thread have/notice the menu select button (directly above the power button) blinks blue inconsistently?

No blinking here.

I've not seen any blinking on any of mine.

I definitely DID have streaks from a dirty cleaning cloth on at least one of my monitors. I noticed it immediately when I took the packaging off. Funny thing is...I've had these monitors for a couple weeks now and had forgotten. I'm sure that I'm going to see them the next time the monitors are off and it'll bother me...

8080x1600 gaming is absolutely beautiful. It's hard to justify the money spent on a 3x30" gaming rig but every time I sit down I'm drawn in like never before.

I definitely DID have streaks from a dirty cleaning cloth on at least one of my monitors. I noticed it immediately when I took the packaging off. Funny thing is...I've had these monitors for a couple weeks now and had forgotten. I'm sure that I'm going to see them the next time the monitors are off and it'll bother me...

8080x1600 gaming is absolutely beautiful. It's hard to justify the money spent on a 3x30" gaming rig but every time I sit down I'm drawn in like never before.

I received a replacement which also had streaks. Can confirm that this is a probably normal for the new monitors.

Picts or it didn't happen.

Yes. I actually play bfbc2 using 1xAA. Still looks awesome;however, Im looking to buy a second 480/580 gtx.

No blinking issues with any of the LEDs on my display.

You must post pics of said setup.

Zarathustra[H];1036546374 said:
What screen do you have that supports 3250x1920?

My feeling is that the absolute resolution doesn't have much impact on how much AA you need.

Put a relatively high resolution on a large enough screen and you'll still see aliasing.

To reduce the appearance of aliasing, you must shrink it to the point where your eyes have difficulty making it out, so a large resolution on a small monitor would probably be effective.

Since the 30" 2560x1600 panels are 25% larger in linear diagonal size than a 24" 1920x1200 monitor and 33% larger in resolution, there will be an improvement, but it will be small.

How large is your 1080p Alpha S-IPS TV? This will determine how much of a difference you will notice in this regard.

32" 1080p

32" 1080p

Ahh, compared to a 32" 1920x1080 screen you will have a slightly smaller screen, ith much higher resolution. I would expect that aliasing will be much less bothersome at the same level of AA running at each screens natural resolution.

Mine does not blink. However, when the screen was sitting right next to my coomputer case, the button did light up occasionally (as if my finger were hovering just above it). I think it picks up nearby objects and lights up as if its about to be pressed.

Do you have anything nearby that could be triggering the proximity sensors?

If you do get one, it would definitely be interested to see/hear about any difference side-by-side between an LG IPS screen Dell and your Alpha IPS Panasonic.

I think it depends on the person.

My old monitor was a 20" NEC and I played Dragon Age: Origins at 16x10 w/ 8XAA. With my U3011 playing at 2560x1600 I can get away with 4XAA, but anything less than that gives VERY noticeable jaggies. 2XAA looks like crap.

It may also vary on different games too, but just from my short experience a decent amount of AA is still needed to give smooth edges, even at 2560x1600.

Zarathustra[H];1036557564 said:
Mine does not blink. However, when the screen was sitting right next to my coomputer case, the button did light up occasionally (as if my finger were hovering just above it). I think it picks up nearby objects and lights up as if its about to be pressed.

Do you have anything nearby that could be triggering the proximity sensors?

Turns out I did. Move the offending object a few cm away and the blinking vanished. Great call!

sigh I really need a new monitor along with a new graphics card.. just holding out for a great deal

sigh I really need a new monitor along with a new graphics card.. just holding out for a great deal

The great deal was the 25% + 10% discount on UltraSharp monitors. It doesn't come around very often.

Well, I just can't convince myself to accept the backlight bleed. I think I was spoiled by the S-PVA 2007 panels. The black levels aren't even comparable (yes I know, a negative to IPS technology). I think I would be able to deal if the monitor was more uniform in it's backlighting... but having the right side noticeably brighter under any sort of darker background just irks the hell out of me.

Put in for a refund to dell support. Will wait awhile for newer rev's to purchase again possibly.

Well, I just can't convince myself to accept the backlight bleed. I think I was spoiled by the S-PVA 2007 panels. The black levels aren't even comparable (yes I know, a negative to IPS technology). I think I would be able to deal if the monitor was more uniform in it's backlighting... but having the right side noticeably brighter under any sort of darker background just irks the hell out of me.

Put in for a refund to dell support. Will wait awhile for newer rev's to purchase again possibly.

Couldn't you just keep the monitor now, and whenever a new revision comes out, just call in for a replacement for the new A01?

Finally unboxed mine after work today. The image quality is very impressive and the only thing I've done so far is reduce the brightness from 50 to 20 (and it's a bright SOB even on 20; at 100 it's like looking at the sun).

It's lighter than my 3008WFP. Antiglare coating is about the same. There might be slightly more AG on the U3011, but it's hard to say without sitting them side by side. Either way, I'm used to it and it doesn't bother me. What does is that I seem to have a dead pixel or small clump of dead pixels in the lower right quadrant of the display (can't tell how many; it just looks like a tiny fleck of dust). It is only noticeable on a light background, and I'm certain I wouldn't notice it in a game, but my 3007WFP-HC and 3008WFP are perfect in that regard so this is a little disappointing. I'm not sure whether I should bother exchanging it and risk getting a panel that's worse in uniformity (mine seems to be great in that regard) or if I should just live with it. I bought the 5 year warranty. It's not really an annoyance, even on Google's page, so I'll probably sit tight for now and maybe let it "bother" me if they release a later revision that fixes the custom preset issue that others have noticed in this thread.

Oh, and the menu buttons and OSD are a significant improvement over the 3008WFP, IMO. I actually enjoy playing around in the menu now. With the 3008WFP it felt like a chore as the buttons were very stiff and didn't light up, so I dreaded navigating the OSD in the dark (not that I even used them often, but it's just a nice touch).

Last edited:
Finally unboxed mine after work today. The image quality is very impressive and the only thing I've done so far is reduce the brightness from 50 to 20 (and it's a bright SOB even on 20; at 100 it's like looking at the sun).

It's lighter than my 3008WFP. Antiglare coating is about the same. There might be slightly more AG on the U3011, but it's hard to say without sitting them side by side. Either way, I'm used to it and it doesn't bother me. What does is that I seem to have a dead pixel or small clump of dead pixels in the lower right quadrant of the display (can't tell how many; it just looks like a tiny fleck of dust). It is only noticeable on a light background, and I'm certain I wouldn't notice it in a game, but my 3007WFP-HC and 3008WFP are perfect in that regard so this is a little disappointing. I'm not sure whether I should bother exchanging it and risk getting a panel that's worse in uniformity (mine seems to be great in that regard) or if I should just live with it. I bought the 5 year warranty. It's not really an annoyance, even on Google's page, so I'll probably sit tight for now and maybe let it "bother" me if they release a later revision that fixes the custom preset issue that others have noticed in this thread.

Oh, and the menu buttons and OSD are a significant improvement over the 3008WFP, IMO. I actually enjoy playing around in the menu now. With the 3008WFP it felt like a chore as the buttons were very stiff and didn't light up, so I dreaded navigating the OSD in the dark (not that I even used them often, but it's just a nice touch).

I was wondering if you could tell us where your U3011 was built? Only if you do not mind of course. Mine was built in china rev00 and it has some uniformity issues only noticeable in an all black blackground and a pitch black room, but here is the wasteland...No uniformity issues in game.

img0227i.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
As far as I know, there is China rev00 and Mexico rev00. I wonder what the difference is between the two, if any.

Back