Dell U3011 coming soon.

That is a great deal. But I can't figure out where everyone is getting these coupons. I am signed up for the Dell emails, and I get several a week, but they never have any coupons in them. Is there a mailing list that I am missing out on?

I didn't actually use a coupon to get the 20% off, they just gave me the discounted price when I asked. But I did have a 20% off coupon from going to http://dell.p.delivery.net/m/p/del/reg/signup.asp

It takes a day or so for it to show up in your email after signing up. And the coupon currently works for the U2711, but not the U3011. I bet it will work for the U3011 after it has been out for a while, but after reading this thread I decided to just call and ask.

That is a great deal. But I can't figure out where everyone is getting these coupons. I am signed up for the Dell emails, and I get several a week, but they never have any coupons in them. Is there a mailing list that I am missing out on?

I am trying to figure this out too. I get the emails and even get the dell catalogs threw the mail and I don't see any codes in either one of them. I also saw somewhere a while back you get a special code from Dell for your birthday I hope thats true cause I got one coming up soon.

I agree with MetatYP that minidisplayport is an issue with apple not a dell problem.

Have had the monitor for about a week.
+colors
Dislikes
- faint buzz noise (goes away if I increase brightness to almost full, about 96)
So am I the only one having a problem with white balance? My monitor's whites were way too green again today until the monitor had warmed up from hibernate for over an hour. Imagine if a laptop had to warm up for an hour before the screen looked good...

As for buzz, my first impressions that there was no noticeable buzz, but after the display got well warmed up (maybe 5 hours use) the buzz jacked up considerably to an annoying level from sitting position. This was with brightness at 0. Went away again after the monitor hibernated. I notice that a zr30w user reported the same as you (buzz that depends upon brightness level):
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=10922045&postcount=33
- warm to the face after being on for several hours (it was at 100 brightness though)

Do other owners have buzz and think this is a space heater?
Don't put your face to it :)
I tested the power usage of my 3011 with a kill-a-watt:
Black screen: 69W
Text windows, with brightness/contrast@50/50: 100W
Text windows, with brightness/contrast at more reasonable 0/35: 76W
In power saving mode, with usb keyboard attached to hub (DPMS standby): 2W

So no, hardly a space heater, unless you think a mainstream desktop computer or a 75W light bulb are space heaters.
The hp zr30w is rated a few watts higher than the dell for some reason.

I've received 7 of these monitors and unfortunately they all display tinting. The common occurrence is the left and middle sides of the screen are greenish whereas the right side is normal. The affected area is around 60% of the screen, much greater than the ones I've seen on the U2711. Obviously, they're all being replaced. The tint does fade a little after the backlight has warmed up. However, the defect is still noticeable.

Among the ones that do not display green tint, I do notice yellowing similar to the iMac debacle back in 2009. Yellowing is a greater annoyance than green tint because it does not go away regardless of backlight usage.

I'm currently keeping one that has the least issues out of the batch. I'm using it as reference control as well as my U2711 which does not have tinting.

Importantly, for those who are wondering; the image quality fluctuates between panels which is a great annoyance since copying and pasting calibration numbers in the service menu does not help. Reasonably, the image quality is affected by the degree tinting so the more evenness you have the more agreeable it is to your eyes.

For those who received their panels, you may wish to examine this issue personally by using a gray background. A good example is at the bottom of the Slickdeals forum is a gray horizontal bar. The color should be uniform spanning from the left to the right sides of the screen.

Got monitor but there is a stuck pixel that refuses to go away so the monitor is going back I guess.

Just so people are aware, my monitor didn't display any of the problems pedophile had. Just that one damn pixel.

Longtime lurker, new poster - so go easy please. ;)

A 30" monitor has always been a dream. I thought it was going to be a Cinema Display but I could never justify it. I was about to pull the trigger on a 2711 when I heard the 3011's were coming so I figured I'd wait it out. Of course I refreshed this thread 50 times a day!

Yesterday my 3011 came and I set it up last night. Coming from a Dell 2408, this is a bit of a shock.

So here we go:

Pros:
+Room to breathe
+Perfect resolution for everything so far
+Photoshop - Just :D
+Black bezel unobtrusive
+Touch controls

Cons:
+AG COATING (@%#$#^!!!!!!!!)
+Oh did I mention the AG coating?
+No really, there’s this AG coating…
+Inner edge of bezel is black but reflective
+20% off for other people just by asking - WTF?

My 2408 has the AG coating that people complained about too. For some reason the “screen door effect” just never bothered me. Maybe it was the lower resolution? I don’t know. So reading all the early reviews of the 3011 didn’t scare me off because I don’t think I’m overly sensitive to minor issues. However, this AG coating is truly awful. It just a presence on any light colored areas. Big white spaces are tough to look at like in Outlook, or Word. It’s somewhat minimized by sitting back at least 24” but it’s still there, especially when you scroll pages. Reading it described here is one thing but actually experiencing it in your face is something else.

I did a bunch of checking with my Spyder3 and the 3011 checks out pretty well. No dead pixels, uniform colors, no backlight bleed. It’s quite an impressive monitor, save for the one big issue.

I woke up this morning hoping I would feel different about the AG coating. I thought, “Maybe it’s just that it’s “new” and different.” But as I ‘m using it today the AG isn’t fading into the background. Sigh.

So I either live with it, or return it and buy what? I’m really not sure the 27” Cinema Display is the answer and I want a 30" anyway. I’ve used iMacs, and I have an iPad and I know how reflective glossy screens are. It’s not that I have a problem with AG coatings in general, it’s just this one is so sparkly/grainy/blotchy that I’m having a hard time with it.

So that’s my 2 cents.

Any ideas? :confused:

I've never encountered anyone that have given the AG coating a fair try for a few weeks and not gotten over it (at least to the point where they find it acceptable). The problem, I guess, is partially because when you are new to it you keep focusing on the coating itself and not the underlying picture. So not only do you see the sparkle very clear the text behind it gets kind of blurry - just enough to worsen the effect and annoy the eyes even more.

It can take some time getting used to and I it certainly has a psychological effect as well where you start to look for it.
It took about one week of heavy usage for me to find it acceptable (but still annoying), another week and it was not that bad but still annoying. And gradually better since then, after 8 weeks or something I could go through a day without thinking about it and now I can barely see it / think about it if I don't explicitly look for it or if I'm really tired.

With an open mind I believe the very most will not be bothered by the AG-coating after having used it for some time. But if you can't wrap you head around it there's probably no way, just as some people back in the days just couldn't stand the two horizontal lines of trinitron CRTs and simply refused to accept them.

But it sure is a gamble and only you can decide whether it should be returned.

I've never encountered anyone that have given the AG coating a fair try for a few weeks and not gotten over it (at least to the point where they find it acceptable).

Well, I returned my U3011 and it wasn't that I was afraid to try to adjust to it, but it cost me $1,499 and I just couldn't risk that much money in a product that wasn't 100.0% what I was looking for.

But if you can't wrap you head around it there's probably no way, just as some people back in the days just couldn't stand the two horizontal lines of trinitron CRTs and simply refused to accept them.

:D I remember those complaints. Trinitrons were awesome.

I really think there is a subset of people that fixate on minor things and let it ruin things for them.

Same with the people who put up black screens in the dark looking for some uniformity they would never normally see or people who get upset about 1 dead pixel.

I have a dead pixel on my 2490 (that I paid $1200+ for) and I found it the first day by looking for it. But in regular use, I never see it, because I don't look for it. I never even considered trying to have it replaced.

Some people will send back monitors 5 times for such minor issues... Crazy IMO.

I think people in general are confusing theese entry-level 30" monitors with quality/professional products. Yes they cost a lot but thats not because they are that good, it's because they are that big. If you wan't quality, spend the money the U3011 costs but on a 24" monitor or go directly to Nec/Eizos offerings in the 30" range. Granted, they are targetet to a different audience but you won't find quality products being targeted towards home movie/game use.

Well, I returned my U3011 and it wasn't that I was afraid to try to adjust to it, but it cost me $1,499 and I just couldn't risk that much money in a product that wasn't 100.0% what I was looking for.

Understandable.
The sad and unfortunate part is the lack of alternatives. If you can't stand the coating then you pretty much have ruled out all modern IPS displays with one blow. Pretty much the only alternative is apples glossy screen but glossy isn't exactly without issues either.

So you 'have' to turn to the very limited supply of *VA displays or go TN. Thats a big leap and thats the reason for why I feel that one should at least give the AG coating a decent try, although I am very aware that that can be close to impossible to do without the risk of ending up with an expensive monitor that you're unhappy with. It's not an easy decision.

I think people in general are confusing theese entry-level 30" monitors with quality/professional products. Yes they cost a lot but thats not because they are that good, it's because they are that big. If you wan't quality, spend the money the U3011 costs but on a 24" monitor or go directly to Nec/Eizos offerings in the 30" range. Granted, they are targetet to a different audience but you won't find quality products being targeted towards home movie/game use.

Please don't call my precious "entry level" :p

I think Dell is specifically targeting the NEC/Eizo audience. (OK maybe the NEC/Eizo audience not willing to take out a 2nd mortgage!)

From Dell: "Extensive connectivity features and customization via CustomColor mode make the U3011 an ideal choice for professionals in CAD/CAM, graphic design, gaming and other fields where color precision matters."

I also agree it's a tough choice right now. I just don't want a smaller screen. I understand that I may get a "better" 30" monitor from Eizo at $2,800 - $5,000 (OMG!) or the new not released NEC but will they still have an AG coating that might get in the way? I'm guessing that all IPS monitors have some kind of AG coating. Could it be that the NEC/Eizo coating isn't as obtrusive? I'm sorry to keep talking about the AG coating because I know people got upset earlier in this thread about such discussions but this is directly related to the monitor sitting in front of me.

I had a 21" Trinitron and those support wires were like badges of honor for having the best monitor around. I'm not trying to be overly critical and nitpick the 3011 to death. I think it's a great screen in all other respects.

I'll probably give it a try for a while and see if I can get used to it.

Uh, ya, the new NEC and Eizo 30" displays use the same exact LG panel with the same exact AG coating as the Dell U3011 and HP ZR30w. Only their cases/internal LUT's and electronics are different.

Well the new one has a scratch on the monitor, screwing up a couple of the pixels I think.

Uh, ya, the new NEC and Eizo 30" displays use the same exact LG panel with the same exact AG coating as the Dell U3011 and HP ZR30w. Only their cases/internal LUT's and electronics are different.

Which is what makes all the difference in the real world.

Cons:

Intergalactic:

I have 3 Dells 3008WFP (H-IPS LG LM300WQ5 panels) and also 2 Dells 2707WFP (S-PVA Samsung LTM2701M1 panels) , (I don´t own an Airport Control Tower they are in different houses and rooms) they are from different revisions and years and I can assure you: the IPS panels have slightly more "texturized" antiglare finish but it´s not a terrible issue and in fact the PVA are smoother but not less reflective

Probably you can spend 1000 US more in an 30" Eizo PVA as Snowdog said but you will not be satisfied.

What I have never seen in ALL this long thread is what LIGHTNING people that don´t tolerate AG coating are using: there are two common sins:

1) Use lights that hit the screen and "see" the AG coating all the time
2) Use not light at all or a very darkened room: you will fall in the backlight bleed paranoia of LCD´s and "blacks not deep enough".

Not light must hit the surface, but the background of the monitor needs to be indirect and lightly iluminated, invest some litle money in improve that:

For example PHILIPS makes a LED lamp "Living Colors" that let you create the exact background color (16 millions) you like: (it´s NOT Ambilight is a entirely custom light background), see:

http://www.design55online.co.uk/brands/philips-lighting/philips-living-colors-lamp.html

Your eyes will also thank you, (and correctly placed this lamps look cool too).

Regards.-

With "factory" calibration, default brightness/contrast, my eye-one display 2 shows, as measured with argyll:
Code:
% dispcal -R -y l
Place instrument on test window.
Hit Esc or Q to give up, any other key to continue:
Uncalibrated response:
Black level = 0.32 cd/m^2
White level = 241.91 cd/m^2
Aprox. gamma = 2.27
Contrast ratio = 755:1
White chromaticity coordinates 0.3108, 0.3449
White    Correlated Color Temperature = 6489K, DE 2K to locus = 13.5
White Correlated Daylight Temperature = 6481K, DE 2K to locus = 10.8
White        Visual Color Temperature = 5981K, DE 2K to locus = 13.1
White     Visual Daylight Temperature = 6103K, DE 2K to locus = 10.5
Effective LUT entry depth seems to be 10 bits
The instrument can be removed from the screen.
%

This seems to confirm my complains that the white level is out of range with factory settings. After calibration with the eye-one match software, which included cranking down the RGB gain to get a more reasonable brightness and white balance, (I'm currently at RGB gain levels of 77/72/78 respectively), I have:

Code:
% dispcal -R -y l
Uncalibrated response:
Black level = 0.23 cd/m^2
White level = 132.96 cd/m^2
Aprox. gamma = 2.25
Contrast ratio = 578:1
White chromaticity coordinates 0.3138, 0.3300
White    Correlated Color Temperature = 6437K, DE 2K to locus =  4.5
White Correlated Daylight Temperature = 6437K, DE 2K to locus =  0.1
White        Visual Color Temperature = 6280K, DE 2K to locus =  4.3
White     Visual Daylight Temperature = 6441K, DE 2K to locus =  0.1
Effective LUT entry depth seems to be 8 bits

If I'm reading this right, then the factory calibration was hopelessly off, such that anyone could see that white is tinted. Yet the factory calibration report claimed delta E < 4 for everything. Also by cranking down the gain to fix the white problems I guess I've lost 2 bits of LUT and now I effectively have a 24 bit display instead of a 30 bit display. Should I be satisfied with this? Am I missing a better way to adjust the RGB levels?

Last edited:
I've received 7 of these monitors and unfortunately they all display tinting. The common occurrence is the left and middle sides of the screen are greenish whereas the right side is normal. The affected area is around 60% of the screen, much greater than the ones I've seen on the U2711. Obviously, they're all being replaced. The tint does fade a little after the backlight has warmed up. However, the defect is still noticeable.
I have big tint problems overall but didn't notice any color uniformity issues. I guess I can faintly see a difference if I look for it, certainly no more than I'm used to seeing on any other CCFL display. If someone has a good tool for benchmarking this with the eye-one display 2 I could quantify any uniformity differences...

With "factory" calibration, default brightness/contrast, my eye-one display 2 shows, as measured with argyll:

This seems to confirm my complains that the white level is out of range with factory settings. After calibration with the eye-one match software, which included cranking down the RGB gain to get a more reasonable brightness and white balance, (I'm currently at RGB gain levels of 77/72/78 respectively), I have:

So you are at minimum brightness and the panel is still too bright so you need to turn it down further RGB gain? Bad news....

I dont' really understand the program you are using. Why do you get 4 different color temperature readings. Any programs that I have seen provide one color temperature.

As in this:
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/899/cali2680.png

So you are at minimum brightness and the panel is still too bright so you need to turn it down further RGB gain? Bad news....
Yes. And just as important, I had to turn down RGB gain to fix the color balance to get the substantial green tint out of the white. And notice that my final brightness is still on the high side. I do have some headroom with the contrast settings, perhaps I should compromise by first cranking contrast down below what eye-one match is recommending for contrast?
I dont' really understand the program you are using. Why do you get 4 different color temperature readings. Any programs that I have seen provide one color temperature.

As in this:
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/899/cali2680.png
I used the widely referenced http://www.argyllcms.com/
Which seems more comprehensive than any of the software that the eye-one came with. With the eye-one software, it seems one can't even measure delta-E for the factory settings. At least I couldn't figure out how to trick it into doing so.
I'm new to the color calibration software, the only other program I've found so far that can measure delta E is the one anandtech recommended: http://www.integrated-color.com/, but that produces less info than argyllcms.
Do you have something better you can recommend?

Please note the restrictions when using a consumer colorimeter:
http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2010/review-dell-u2410-part15.html#Correction

Only because the CCT (Correlated Color Temperature) differs not much regarding the CCT of your aim, the color sample can lie far away from the blackbody curve (as in your first measurement prior to calibration). With the right equipment we measured for sRGB mode on the DELL U2711 out of the box:

CCT: 6580K
DeltaE to D65: 0,69
DeltaE to blackody curve (regarding CCT): 0,02

Deviations were a bit higher on our U2410 but the U3011 shouldn't behave much different.

Best regards

Denis

Last edited:
Thank you, yes, you sighted that page before and I eventually gathered that you think you can't 100% calibrate this monitor with a colorimeter because of the wide gamut. Yet the article notes that the generic correction is good enough. I haven't been able to try that with iColor Display as there's seemingly no way to demo it or even buy a license key in the US. Say, do you have a correction matrix I can apply to argyllcms?

It's not like I'm going to spend a lot more for an eyeonepro to re-calibrate a monitor that is supposed to be factory calibrated.

That said, the out-of-the box brightness levels are way too high (as seen in my prior post) and the green level's deltaE is well beyond the generic correction too. And most importantly, the white balance is obviously off to the eye before re-calibration.

I guess I should get my monitor replaced.

Say, do you have a correction matrix I can apply to argyllcms?
Actually, I see icolor display's correction file DeviceCorrections.txt, and it looks like the matricies are compatible with argyllcms's ccmx. I think I can just copy the values from "eye-one display 2 for Wide Gamut S-IPS (generic)" to argyllcms.

Here's the unncalibrated white temperature/brightness info with&without a generic S-IPS wide gamut adjustment.

With the adjustment, the brightness remains out of bounds, the color temperature measurement for white changes quite a bit, but delta E changes by aprox. 1. The main delta E error remains.

With correction adjustment:
Code:
% /u1/src/Argyll_V1.3.0/spectro/dispcal -X generic.ccmx -r -y l
Current calibration response:
White level = 241.58 cd/m^2
Aprox. gamma = 2.26
Contrast ratio = 760:1
White chromaticity coordinates 0.3042, 0.3403
White    Correlated Color Temperature = 6860K, DE 2K to locus = 14.3
White Correlated Daylight Temperature = 6849K, DE 2K to locus = 11.8
White        Visual Color Temperature = 6241K, DE 2K to locus = 13.9
White     Visual Daylight Temperature = 6370K, DE 2K to locus = 11.4
Without correction adjustment:
Code:
% /u1/src/Argyll_V1.3.0/spectro/dispcal -r -y l
Current calibration response:
White level = 241.66 cd/m^2
Aprox. gamma = 2.26
Contrast ratio = 758:1
White chromaticity coordinates 0.3126, 0.3461
White    Correlated Color Temperature = 6395K, DE 2K to locus = 13.3
White Correlated Daylight Temperature = 6388K, DE 2K to locus = 10.6
White        Visual Color Temperature = 5913K, DE 2K to locus = 12.9
White     Visual Daylight Temperature = 6034K, DE 2K to locus = 10.2
Correction Matrix used:
Code:
CCMX   

DESCRIPTOR "Native gamut, ??? observer, Reference spectro: eye-one Pro Rev.D"
KEYWORD "INSTRUMENT"
INSTRUMENT "GretagMacbeth i1 Display 2"
KEYWORD "DISPLAY"
DISPLAY "Wide Gamut S-IPS (generic)"
KEYWORD "REFERENCE"
REFERENCE "X-Rite ColorMunki"
ORIGINATOR "Argyll ccmx"
CREATED "Sun Oct 10 00:42:36 2010"
KEYWORD "COLOR_REP"
COLOR_REP "XYZ"

NUMBER_OF_FIELDS 3
BEGIN_DATA_FORMAT
XYZ_X XYZ_Y XYZ_Z 
END_DATA_FORMAT

NUMBER_OF_SETS 3
BEGIN_DATA
1.02039 -0.03372 0.01237
0.02016 0.98877 -0.0819e-002
-0.02548 0.04510 1.04330
END_DATA

Cons:
+Inner edge of bezel is black but reflective
+20% off for other people just by asking - WTF?

My 2408 has the AG coating that people complained about too. For some reason the “screen door effect” just never bothered me. Maybe it was the lower resolution? I don’t know. So reading all the early reviews of the 3011 didn’t scare me off because I don’t think I’m overly sensitive to minor issues. However, this AG coating is truly awful. It just a presence on any light colored areas. Big white spaces are tough to look at like in Outlook, or Word. It’s somewhat minimized by sitting back at least 24” but it’s still there, especially when you scroll pages. Reading it described here is one thing but actually experiencing it in your face is something else.

I did a bunch of checking with my Spyder3 and the 3011 checks out pretty well. No dead pixels, uniform colors, no backlight bleed. It’s quite an impressive monitor, save for the one big issue.

I woke up this morning hoping I would feel different about the AG coating. I thought, “Maybe it’s just that it’s “new” and different.” But as I ‘m using it today the AG isn’t fading into the background. Sigh.

So I either live with it, or return it and buy what? I’m really not sure the 27” Cinema Display is the answer and I want a 30" anyway. I’ve used iMacs, and I have an iPad and I know how reflective glossy screens are. It’s not that I have a problem with AG coatings in general, it’s just this one is so sparkly/grainy/blotchy that I’m having a hard time with it.

So that’s my 2 cents.

Thanks for telling us about the AG coating. I wish you can compare the AG coating to the 3008wfp and the 3007wfp.

Ordered and received my 3011. No codes worked, but the guy on the phone said they'd honor 10% off if I ordered it with him, so I agreed. He put me on hold and returned to say, "good news, my manager says I can give you $100 off". I reminded my Outsourced friend that on a monitor with a list price of $1499 that 10% off is more than $100... but he said that was the best he could do. I was in a hurry, so I took it, as I had been on hold for 20 minutes.

Shipping was fun... after exactly 7 attempts to get the ship address right (they had an address from 10 years ago) they convinced me all was good and it would be shipped to the right address. When I got the FedEx tracking number I noticed that it only listed a city for the delivery address (the WRONG city). I called Dell to correct and after a long discussion, they convinced me they updated the address for FedEx.

Luckily, the FedEx driver had my number, because it turned up in this city with no address. I had him drop it off with somebody I trusted and I made the 180 mile round trip to pick it up.

Gotta love Dell's Outsourced Customer Service.

So anyway, did I read something about this monitor being a dual-DVI for hook-up? I'm going to plug er in tonight or tomorrow.

So anyway, did I read something about this monitor being a dual-DVI for hook-up? I'm going to plug er in tonight or tomorrow.
It comes with a dual-link dvi cable (among others). If you're going to use DVI you need a dual-link dvi capable video card to run the display at the native resolution of 2560x1600. (HDMI on the u3011 only does 1920x1200 btw).

Oh and yes the monitor has 2 dual-link dvi ports if that's what you mean.

It comes with a dual-link dvi cable (among others). If you're going to use DVI you need a dual-link dvi capable video card to run the display at the native resolution of 2560x1600. (HDMI on the u3011 only does 1920x1200 btw).

Oh and yes the monitor has 2 dual-link dvi ports if that's what you mean.

Thanks. I have a 5870... I'm sure that is dual-link capable. I just don't remember my previous monitor (Gateway 30-inch) having a dual-link, but I'm pretty sure I ran that in 2560x1600.

You are positive the monitor ships with a dual-link DVI cable? I'm asking because with my disability I'm not going to be able to open the box until a friend comes over or I sweet talk my wife into hooking it up.

You are positive the monitor ships with a dual-link DVI cable? I'm asking because with my disability I'm not going to be able to open the box until a friend comes over or I sweet talk my wife into hooking it up.
Yes, the dual-link dvi cable comes already plugged into the monitor, with a big yellow dual-link dvi label on it.
The sides of the cardboard shipping box lift off for easy opening. Still heavy for an LCD thanks to the beefy stand.

Here's another mini-review noting the green tint of this monitor especially vs the hp zr30w.
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/monitors/361684/dell-ultrasharp-u3011
Their colorimeter measurements report a max delta E of 6, which is beyond what the factory calibration claims, but still half the deltaE I got for white.
Not clear whether they applied a wide-gamut adjustment to their measurements. Maybe we should have an owner's white-balance poll :)

Before I had my ZR30w's I had a LG 30" that also had green/tan tint to it. It was obvious when viewed next to the ZR30w which to me has brilliant clean whites. I am not sure why some makes get the green tint.

The green tint is not uniform and affects only part of the screen. This is really annoying because there is a gradient or diffusing color temperature spanning from the left to the right of the screen. Anyway, I'm up to 9 panels now and I have 2 more replacements coming.

Back