Dell U3011 coming soon.

Even with 5970 I'm not satisfied with the performance of 2560x1600. But that's just me. And yeah, if you don't need the inputs, scaler and the osd - the more affordable HP would suffice.

Dell is selling this and the 3007 now? I cant find the 3008 and I guess this model replace it.

Hmm, I'm not really planning on playing any console games on my computer monitor. I'll start checking out HPZR30W reviews. I'm really planning on replacing my current 24" monitor towards end of November.... No rush for me...
Note: I just checked the specs for HP ZR30W and they are exactly the same as DELL U3011... and $200 cheaper... at least on HP's site. Hmm, HP is starting to look nicer :)

I was really debating about having a 30" monitor on my desk so close... but seems like no one is complaining about having a 30" monitor on their desk... So I guess it should be fine.

A 30" is awesome, it's virtually impossible to go back after you've owned one. I have 3x 30" on my desk. ;) The HP can be had for as low as $1172 on some sites: http://www.google.com/products/cata...es7HdDQ&sa=button&ved=0CAkQgggwADgA#scoring=p

Was it me, or were there a lot of U2711 floating around on craigslist for super cheap when the U2711 got released??? I purchased mine for $750 on CL a week after it was released....

Hopefully I'll find the same deal on the U3011 and pass the U2711 down to the wife ;)

Many computer screens don't support a refresh rate != 60Hz. Those who do often work with a fixed panel update frequency. Two recent examples: DELL U2410/U2711 und NEC PA241W/ PA271W support flexible refresh rates on input but are internally converting every frequency to 60Hz which leads to judder (Link). Some newer Eizo CGs accept signals with flexible refresh rates without having a fixed panal update frequency. There are some other screens to, often"hybrid models" with HDMI input. The last display I have tested was the Samsung BX2440 which displays 48/50/60Hz judderfree but doesn't accept 24Hz. In the TV sector the situation is much better. It was a long time ago that we had some models with fixed panel update frequency.

Best regards

Denis

By cnet review, this monitor has "24p" support, so it may refresh 48Hz natively.

Hope they solved the heat problem of previous models.

Was it me, or were there a lot of U2711 floating around on craigslist for super cheap when the U2711 got released??? I purchased mine for $750 on CL a week after it was released....

Hopefully I'll find the same deal on the U3011 and pass the U2711 down to the wife ;)

Basically, a couple of folks that had dell premier accounts managed to get a bunch of U2711 for DIRT CHEAP when it first came out. If the ones being sold for cheap were not refurbs it's likely that's what they were from. Dell raised the prices for premier after that so I don't think it will happen with the U3011. The major question I have about the U3011 is regarding the antiglare coating....

By cnet review, this monitor has "24p" support, so it may refresh 48Hz natively.

Hope they solved the heat problem of previous models.

The Cnet review also says:
"• Slight judder in Blu-ray panning scenes •"

So I assume it just does standard 60Hz Only.

Though I think this is much smaller issue than most people make it out to be. My LCD TV is 60Hz only and I don't really see a Judder propblem watching Blu Rays. Watching the movie in the theater has a lot more Judder than I see on my HDTV.

Okay I'm about to order this baby this weekend. Is it worth getting the CompleteCare Accidental Damage service or should I just get the standard 3 yr. limited warranty?

I wouldn't bother with CompleteCare for a monitor unless you have cats that like to paw at the screen or you're really careless with drinks or something. A monitor generally stays in one place and isn't prone to accidents. Now a laptop, on the other hand...

I wouldn't bother with CompleteCare for a monitor unless you have cats that like to paw at the screen or you're really careless with drinks or something. A monitor generally stays in one place and isn't prone to accidents. Now a laptop, on the other hand...

5 year warranty for $100 on the other hand is worth it, especially because dell is great at warranty support on monitors.

5 year warranty for $100 on the other hand is worth it, especially because dell is great at warranty support on monitors.

Agreed. Use a decent credit card and get an additional year on top of that. :cool:

You'll be protected under warranty until the U3017 comes out, lol

Agreed. Use a decent credit card and get an additional year on top of that. :cool:

You'll be protected under warranty until the U3017 comes out, lol

It's what I did with my U2711....and I'm tempted to buy a 3011 as well :eek:

Ordered!!!

And I want to give a huge thanks to the whole [H] community! If it wasn't for you guys I never would have waited for the U3011, and I'd be using a crappy 1080p display right now! :D

It's what I did with my U2711....and I'm tempted to buy a 3011 as well :eek:

I want to buy one but I got my 3008 for $800 refurb with 4 year warranty so I will be keeping this for a while.

question.

was the SD card reader on Dell's 30-inch series ever updated to support SDHC or even SDXC?

If anyone's wondering, the U3011 is available through Dell Small Business but the 20% off code you get from signing up for the email doesn't apply.

wish it had USB3 and SDXC support. Dunno bout you guys, but it's the closest/most accessible/most convenient way to read card or plug in anything USB on my setup. Keyboard only does USB1, desktop is further away...

lack of USB3 and SDXC means eventually going to the back of the damn case again / using a card reader device

"The panel itself is quite deeply inset, and the inset bezel is a shiny black, meaning that during bright scenes you may notice the screen's reflection on the bezel, which will be distracting for some."

UG! Why do they do this? Totally unnecessary...

these 30 inchers have not come down in price at all have they

this should be selling for $999, not $1499

3008 came out at over $2k

I distinctly remember $1899, but still this is some progress. The other factor is, this is Dell, you don't pay full price for Dell unless you have Zero patience.

But 30" 2560x1600 screens are top end niche items, there will always be a bigger profit margin in these.

these 30 inchers have not come down in price at all have they

this should be selling for $999, not $1499

You're right.

Wait until you see what the NEC 30 inch PA series unit will probably cost. Keep in mind, they share the same exact panel if I'm not mistaken.

Any reviews out for the 3011 yet or is still too brand new?

If you complain enough to Dell, they will give you a refund even if it's outside your return period. Both of my 3008s have major issues (e.g. Panel being loose inside the housing). They're actually giving me a full refund for them. But you need to have previous cases stating there are problems with the monitor.

Is there really a reason to upgrade from the 3008 anyway? The Cnet review didn't compare both Dells after calibration did it?

Does anyone know if this monitor will do PIP (picture in picture)? I see that it does picture by picture, but I don't think that is the same...

My Gateway XHD3000 is starting to go out, and while I will try and get it fixed if at all possible, I might end up having to replace it. I specifically use that monitor for my 2nd computer and frequently (daily) watch video in the PIP window which is customizable for placement and size.

Thanks!

Is there really a reason to upgrade from the 3008 anyway? The Cnet review didn't compare both Dells after calibration did it?

Honestly, unless you like to upgrade just because it's newer like a lot of us do, there's no need to upgrade if you don't work with any color critical applications.

Reasons to upgrade:

2 hdmi ports instead of 1
Factory calibrated (although it's always good to re-calibrate often with your own calibrator)
Built in hardware LUT
Lower input lag ( not totally sure though )
Improved backlight uniformity ( not confirmed first hand )

I will have my personal review up as soon as I receive it. Since I'll be comparing directly to the 3008wfp, it may help someone.

I'd really like to see a review of the U3011 that compares its input lag directly to the HP ZR30W. I've seen some anecdotal references that the HP is faster, but I'd much prefer the pixel guarantee and the inputs of the Dell.

Does anyone know if this monitor will do PIP (picture in picture)? I see that it does picture by picture, but I don't think that is the same...

My Gateway XHD3000 is starting to go out, and while I will try and get it fixed if at all possible, I might end up having to replace it. I specifically use that monitor for my 2nd computer and frequently (daily) watch video in the PIP window which is customizable for placement and size.

Thanks!

ditto...i'd like to know this as well. once you go 30" it's hard to do anything else. pip is awesome during football season

The HP would definitely be faster due to the lack of a scaler.

Yeah, but how much faster is the question. If it's really 11ms for the HP vs 27ms for the Dell, then obviously that would trump the lack of ports and the sRGB problem. But if the Dell scores less, I might have a tougher decision. :)

Back