Dell U3011 coming soon.

Honestly for NEC their current 30 inch is retailing for over 2k so around 2k is appropriate for their new one unless they want to start selling more and try to edge out Dell. Dell would be insane though to sell this for 2k or over. Anything more and people will just go for the NEC and even around that range people still might go for NEC. Then there is the HP which is undercutting Dell anyway but does provide a minimum window of $1300 for the 3011 as the 3011 will definitely sell for more as it offers more. Really the only window that makes sense is the one where the 3008 occupies which is the $1600 to $1700 range.

At this time, it seems that the backlight technology used by this monitor remains unknown. Can we expect LED? I understand that LED does not bring much value in terms of image quality but it could make the monitor slimmer, more silent, cooler and more power efficient.

At this time, it seems that the backlight technology used by this monitor remains unknown. Can we expect LED? I understand that LED does not bring much value in terms of image quality but it could make the monitor slimmer, more silent, cooler and more power efficient.

No, LG doesn't make an LED version of this panel, only CCFL.

The only new thing about the new flavor of the LM300WQ5 panel is that it supports 10-bit color. I guess the technology has pretty much matured at this point, so no new exciting changes. The good thing about this is that for most people there is no good reason to spend money to upgrade to the new model if they have the current one.

Honestly for NEC their current 30 inch is retailing for over 2k so around 2k is appropriate for their new one unless they want to start selling more and try to edge out Dell. Dell would be insane though to sell this for 2k or over. Anything more and people will just go for the NEC and even around that range people still might go for NEC. Then there is the HP which is undercutting Dell anyway but does provide a minimum window of $1300 for the 3011 as the 3011 will definitely sell for more as it offers more. Really the only window that makes sense is the one where the 3008 occupies which is the $1600 to $1700 range.

Dell has their unusual pricing strategy with a normal price point that is really expensive and then 30% rebates every now and then so it's not that easy to directly compare it to competitors. Those in the know are of course going to buy it on a rebate.

i can't wait to get this one. i've been waiting for a replacement of 3007/3008 for quite some times.

Guys... I have got some insider info...

U3011 RTS is 21 Sept 2010
12 Bit Internal Processing
10 Bits Panel
18 CCFLs backlight - NOT LED !
7ms Typical Grey to Grey
370 cd/m² (typical)
1000:1 (typical)/100,000:1 (DCR)
117% (CIE1976)/102% (CIE 1931) 99% (AdobeRGB Coverage), 100% (sRGB Coverage)
Capacitive Touch OSD Controls
NO Pivot Function (just like U2711, my guess... It's too BIG for that...)

That's about what i can tell for now... This is a CONFIRMED SPEC and Release Date, if you don't believe then you will need to wait & see...
But please, if you take any info from here, please do give due credit.
Thanks guys !

ps : No words on pricing yet... will post again when i hear anything...
Disclaimer : I DO NOT WORK FOR DELL !

The only new thing about the new flavor of the LM300WQ5 panel is that it supports 10-bit color.
According to informations of NEC Germany, the panels used in the 24" and 27" are a 8bit versions with panel internal (instead of using it in the scaler) FRC. But they support of course 10bit via DisplayPort. It's likely that the new 30" PA will also use a 8bit panel. The manufacturers are quite fast in using the term "10bit" when implementing DisplayPort because the displays can process such signals.

A test is quite simple: Only with a real 10bit panel you have a chance to bypass the FRC stage. So a 10bit signal combined with a 10bit panel should not show any temporal dithering. Unfortunately I hadn't a chance of feeding a 10bit signal to our PA241W and PA271W to verify if the information was right. But I would be very astonished if a 10bit panel is used. Same for the DELL.

Best regards

Denis

Last edited:
Your specs and date is close but not completely the same as what tftcentral got http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/21.htm#dell_u3011 ).

No consumer product has native 10 bit (and tftcentral claims 8-bit +AFRC for the new dell) and the PA241W and PA721W uses the same panels as Dell (right?) so they are not native 10 bit.

But that got me thinking. With 8/10 bit input and 8/10 bit output (to the panel) what is the internal processing doing with its 12 bits?

Last edited:
Wow, I was seriously about to buy a U2711 this Fall --- but I may go ahead and wait for the 3011 now, perfect timing!!! Please don't have a strong AG coating!!!

But that got me thinking. With 8/10 bit input and 8/10 bit output (to the panel) what is the internal processing doing with its 12 bits?
Used to avoid a loss of tonal values. 8bit are not sufficient as correction vector for "lossless" processing of a 8bit input signal. Eizo illustrates the internal workflow for their CGs quite good:

http://www.eizo.de/pool/files/de/EIZO_LCD_Kalibration_Teil3.pdf

Best regards

Denis

One of these days panel makers are going to actually listen to user comments and build to sell to us, rather than to each other.

According to informations of NEC Germany, the panels used in the 24" and 27" are a 8bit versions with panel internal (instead of using it in the scaler) FRC. But they support of course 10bit via DisplayPort. It's likely that the new 30" PA will also use a 8bit panel. The manufacturers are quite fast in using the term "10bit" when implementing DisplayPort because the displays can process such signals.

A test is quite simple: Only with a real 10bit panel you have a chance to bypass the FRC stage. So a 10bit signal combined with a 10bit panel should not show any temporal dithering. Unfortunately I hadn't a chance of feeding a 10bit signal to our PA241W and PA271W to verify if the information was right. But I would be very astonished if a 10bit panel is used. Same for the DELL.

Makes sense - I guess that would explain why they didn't change the model number of the panel, and it's still called LM300WQ5. Not much point then in this whole refresh of the 30" monitors...

No, LG doesn't make an LED version of this panel, only CCFL.

The only new thing about the new flavor of the LM300WQ5 panel is that it supports 10-bit color. I guess the technology has pretty much matured at this point, so no new exciting changes. The good thing about this is that for most people there is no good reason to spend money to upgrade to the new model if they have the current one.

Does this also mean that, for gaming purposes, the w3000h at about 900€ is still the best monitor?

How is 10bit panel? How many bit is 3008?

I cant see the difference in 16bit vs 32 bit color.

Im glad i didnt buy that 3008 last month, i have been looking for a replacement for my 3007 for a year now (i didnt like the styling on the hp with the big buttons on the front)

Im glad that 16:10 isnt dead in the high end

Im glad i didnt buy that 3008 last month, i have been looking for a replacement for my 3007 for a year now (i didnt like the styling on the hp with the big buttons on the front)

Im glad that 16:10 isnt dead in the high end

I love my 3008WFP - best monitor I've ever owned. I consider it a decent upgrade over my 3007WFP-HC in terms of everything but input lag.

I paid ~$800 for it, but yeah if I was ready to buy now and had to pay near MSRP I'd probably wait to see what the U3011 brings to the table. Then again, sometimes it's better to wait for the later revisions (seems like there are always multiple revisions). If you can get a 3008WFP cheap go for that, but otherwise hang onto your 3007. It's not a bad monitor by any stretch of the imagination, despite the aggressive AG and over-saturated reds.

Ya, from all the research ive done, they say the 3007wfp-hc has the lowest input lag @ 0-15ms, followed by the LG @ 15-30ms. However the lg, has the better panel, better contrast, bla bla bla, etc, etc..........
Anywho, curious to see what the input lag is on this new dell. If better, I'll give up my HC model. Well, depending if the $$$ is worth it.

I wish that LG would release a 30 inch panel with a ATW polarizer, because the white glow on a 30 inch IPS panel is a big drawback.Dave
No kidding! I've never seen one in person, but it seems to work so well that I can't believe they're not common.

Look's like the Dell U3011 has a on screen display/scalar so I bet it will have a bit of input lag just like the 3008. The HP ZR30W doesn't have OSD/scalar so it should be better for gaming.

in the review there tested the input lag... and it seems pretty good for the s-ips panel ;) I bet no one will notice that small lag ;)

in the review there tested the input lag... and it seems pretty good for the s-ips panel ;) I bet no one will notice that small lag ;)

The lag results on the HP look good, at least clone-mode testing should get you into the ballpark and rule out massive laggy screens. Although, a single output from graphics card with a cable splitter is a better way to get accurate results.

Look's like the Dell U3011 has a on screen display/scalar so I bet it will have a bit of input lag just like the 3008. The HP ZR30W doesn't have OSD/scalar so it should be better for gaming.

I agree, I don't think Dell is going to address the input lag for the small niche gaming market. Looks like HP ZR30W is the best 30" Gaming monitor on the market. Soon as I see a good sale I'll be upgrading my trusty Dell 3007..

I agree, I don't think Dell is going to address the input lag for the small niche gaming market. Looks like HP ZR30W is the best 30" Gaming monitor on the market. Soon as I see a good sale I'll be upgrading my trusty Dell 3007..

I currently have an LG W3000H which is a great display but I want to upgrade to 3x for nVidia Surround. I wonder how much better (if any) this new HP would be over the LG. Now would be a good chance to upgrade to 3 of the newest panels and I could just Ebay my current LG. I know this is the new Dell's thread but I really hate input lag so I am leaning towards the HP.

I currently have an LG W3000H which is a great display but I want to upgrade to 3x for nVidia Surround. I wonder how much better (if any) this new HP would be over the LG. Now would be a good chance to upgrade to 3 of the newest panels and I could just Ebay my current LG. I know this is the new Dell's thread but I really hate input lag so I am leaning towards the HP.

Where do you live, and how much will you ask for it?

Interesting pictures. Seem's they included every connection plausible. Although, I wonder who would ever actually use connections like D-SUB VGA and component video? Panel might be good for those that like to connect Xbox 360/PS3 to their computer monitors. With all of those input's it's guaranteed to have a scalar. I wonder what the input lag numbers will be or if Dell got smart and actually made a "thru" mode for native resolution to reduce input lag.

After designing the best looking display in the world, 3008WFP, I think that is somewhat ugly. I still haven't desided if I can look at that next to 3008. It better have great quality and low price.

Dell probably think's they will sell more if they lower the cost by eliminating the aluminium bezel and fancy gloss stand that the 3008 had and put it in a regular plastic housing.

Dell probably think's they will sell more if they lower the cost by eliminating the aluminium bezel and fancy gloss stand that the 3008 had and put it in a regular plastic housing.

Which is the right decision IMO. I want my displays to be unobtrusive and matte, not artistic and glossy. It is a functional piece of equipment.

I want to personally kick every designer of glossy TV/Monitor bezels in the nuts.

A displays case should do it's best to be invisible (small, matte, black).

Bonus if this also makes it less expensive.

Back