Dell U2913WM -- 29" 2560x1080 Ultrasharp

I'm going to return mine, whenever Dell feels like emailing me back. A 2x4 cluster of dead pixels made the decision easy.

The monitor really could have benefited from another 120 vertical pixels and the extra height. As-is, 11.3" tall is too awkward when moving around windows to make use of all the width. I didn't get comfortable with it after a week of use. I was constantly fighting the height. It felt more boxed in than a 1080p 23" panel, which is counter intuitive.

I'm going to return mine, whenever Dell feels like emailing me back. A 2x4 cluster of dead pixels made the decision easy.

The monitor really could have benefited from another 120 vertical pixels and the extra height. As-is, 11.3" tall is too awkward when moving around windows to make use of all the width. I didn't get comfortable with it after a week of use. I was constantly fighting the height. It felt more boxed in than a 1080p 23" panel, which is counter intuitive.

Of course, it was so obvious from the initial pics. This monitor is shit crap dell branded ass pushed item, overall.

With all deference to Murzilka's view...think I'm going to pull the trigger on this monitor and give my 27" Sammy to the wife. Now if only I could find a working 10% or greater coupon...

The second a 2800x1200 monitor comes out, Ill be the first to buy. Would be PERFECT for my recording studio. Almost bought this, but 1080 is not enough to make me switch from what Im using.

When I first heard Ultra Wide I thought Dell would add more horizontal pixels and keep the vertical pixel count at 1440 or 1600. But since it only has 1080 pixels vertically, I'll pass.

Obviously a gimmick monitor suited almost soley for watching movies.

I'll pass.

HDTV's are great for watching movies and alot bigger.

You know the old saying, wider is better haha, but without some appropriate vertical its kind of stupid.

giggles pandering the stupid people with wider fascination while their vertical keeps getting shorter and shorter and shorter......

UTTERLY POINTLESS

Actually, this could be considered vertical plus (Vert+) to those who use 1080p. Similar to 1440x900 users who could go to 1600x900. Also similar to those who were on CRT's that went from 1920x1440 or 2304x1440 to 2560x1440. Also 1600x1200 to 1920x1200.

You should do some research mate. I for one am glad to see more of these monitors. It spices things up and would also be fun to see in a multi-monitor configuration as it would be quite wide.

giggles pandering the stupid people with wider fascination while their vertical keeps getting shorter and shorter and shorter......

UTTERLY POINTLESS

Quite the contrary, these monitors are perfect when paired with standard 30" 2560x1600 monitors in a landscape vertical stack. Stacking 2 30" monitors normally isn't practical because of the neck strain it provokes when looking upwards. Being only 2560x1080 means they are not so tall to be impractical to see as secondary monitors and they are easier to mount as you only need standard vertical monitor mounts, which are a lot cheaper than the big triple, quad, and hex mounts. I plan on getting 3 of them to pair with my 3x30" Eyefinity rig as soon as I can afford them.

i really just want to see a picture of 3 of these in a portrait eyefinity setup.

Why can they user a compensator on this and have it work right and yet mess it up on the U2713/U2413 and exclude it completely from 2713HM? This seems to a the perfect screen with a really useless aspect ratio for most people.

i really just want to see a picture of 3 of these in a portrait eyefinity setup.

I'm not sure that's a good setup - I tried 5 1920x1200 portrait in Eyefinity and the bezels bugged me, you are suggesting even narrower (1080 vs 1200) monitors. 3 of those monitors in portrait is only slightly wider than a single 30" in landscape (3240 vs 2560). In fact, in Eyefinity mode your proposed setup is slightly *NARROWER* ratio than 4:3 as it would be 3240x2560, which defeats the whole purpose of widescreen gaming.

5 of them in PPPPP would be interesting as they would be over a 2:1 ratio, so you would get a super-tall display (2560) and be more than wide enough for widescreen gaming as it would be a 5400x2560 layout. Mind you, the upper part of the screen would be nearly unviewable unless you were a considerable distance away from the monitors or you have great peripheral vision. I know all this because my old multimonitor setup (LLL/PLP) was approximately 4950x2650 which is pretty close.

I personally want to try 5 30" 2560x1600 portrait just to see what it is like. My current monitor layout is roughly that now but I need 7 monitors to do it so I can't Eyefinity more than my 3x30". Mind you, I have *NO* idea where I am going to find enough GPU power to do this - my current system chokes and I have HD6950 tri-fire.

I'm not sure that's a good setup - I tried 5 1920x1200 portrait in Eyefinity and the bezels bugged me, you are suggesting even narrower (1080 vs 1200) monitors. 3 of those monitors in portrait is only slightly wider than a single 30" in landscape (3240 vs 2560). In fact, in Eyefinity mode your proposed setup is slightly *NARROWER* ratio than 4:3 as it would be 3240x2560, which defeats the whole purpose of widescreen gaming.

5 of them in PPPPP would be interesting as they would be over a 2:1 ratio, so you would get a super-tall display (2560) and be more than wide enough for widescreen gaming as it would be a 5400x2560 layout. Mind you, the upper part of the screen would be nearly unviewable unless you were a considerable distance away from the monitors or you have great peripheral vision. I know all this because my old multimonitor setup (LLL/PLP) was approximately 4950x2650 which is pretty close.

I personally want to try 5 30" 2560x1600 portrait just to see what it is like. My current monitor layout is roughly that now but I need 7 monitors to do it so I can't Eyefinity more than my 3x30". Mind you, I have *NO* idea where I am going to find enough GPU power to do this - my current system chokes and I have HD6950 tri-fire.

Tri-SLI GTX Titan's, perhaps. Anything else, doubtful it would result in something I'd consider "playable".

I was also excited when this screen was announced and when we received it in stock, but that quickly faded away with the first reviews.

Like many have said before 1080 in vertical is utterly claustrophobia-inducing for any kind of usage besides watching movies, perhaps. Also, the 25ms/17ms(Game) input lag is a little off-setting for gaming purposes, so I'll probably pass too. Pity, was this |-| close to pulling the trigger on it.

Tri-SLI GTX Titan's, perhaps. Anything else, doubtful it would result in something I'd consider "playable".

You can make anything "playable" in terms of FPS if you throw out enough eyecandy. It's more a question of balancing the number of pixels you can see with the graphics quality - 4K is pointless if the only game you can play on it is Pong :D

3240 X 2560? Yuck, no thanks. Too tall for the width. That's just barely wider than 5:4.

The second a 2800x1200 monitor comes out, Ill be the first to buy. Would be PERFECT for my recording studio. Almost bought this, but 1080 is not enough to make me switch from what Im using.

Agreed. ~1200 on the Vert would be great. Keep it to about the same 21:9 ratio and that would be an awesome office and gaming monitor. Almost like having Eyefinity/Surround without the compromise. And not a ridiculous total resolution to totally kill the performance.

Back